PDA

View Full Version : Forward Control Woes

blackbob23
8th December 2004, 21:18
Hey all,

Been a member for a while, but this is my first post. I want to change back to mid controls on my 2004 XL883, but I can't seem to loosen, even one bit, the rear torx bolt on the brake linkage. It either breaks or bends the torx bits I've bought and doesn't seem to budge at all. Just need some help getting that one single bolt loose, then I'll be able to complete the job. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks all,

Bob

hero
8th December 2004, 21:45
LOCTITE! She is the enemy... :madtwo

wabiker
8th December 2004, 21:47
....have ya tried heating the bolts with a heat gun???

bigdogbark
8th December 2004, 21:53
drilling it out or try a hammer wrench.

skooter
8th December 2004, 22:54
heat above 400 degrees will loosen Lock Tite Red (Permanent) That could be it.

RedRider
9th December 2004, 00:14
For tough ones like this, the top-of-the-line Snap-On torx sockets ($$$) are needed. I have not broken or twisted any of mine. My other el cheap-o set won't touch the stuff that these will.

IronMick
9th December 2004, 00:15
You need an "impact driver". This is a must have tool for every workshop. You can get one for between $10.00 and $100.00. Avoid the $10.00 ones.

You apply this tool to the bolt then smack it with a hammer. It translates the vertical smack into a rotation to loosen the bolt.

Be sure it will accept 3/8" drive attachments. Some only take 1/2" or need an adapter to accept 3/8". You probably have 3/8" ratchet attachments already. The tool is not as effective with an adapter.

blackbob23
9th December 2004, 21:55
Hey thanks all, those are all really good suggestions. I'll give it another shot and see what I come up with.

txsporty
10th December 2004, 00:02
blackbob23,

When you put her back together Don't use the RED Locktite!!! Use the BLUE !!!! :D

Darhawk
10th December 2004, 00:35
I echo what txsporty said, don't use RED LOCTITE, alway use BLUE LOCTITE. Even though the service manual tells you to use red, if you ever have to replace it again, you'll go through the same pain of trying to get it loose. I find it easier to use blue, and then when I service my bike, I go back over every nut and bolt to check that they're tight. I've never had a problem with blue.:chop

maddog
10th December 2004, 01:21
I'd try a couple o' smacks with a steel hammer to shock it, or lock a vice-grip on it and twist.
I've also found that when a torx starts to strip out, I get a slightly larger torx or allen bit that ALMOST fits and hammer it in till it bottoms, then hook a ratchet on and spin'er out. Works almost all the time. When all else fails, it's drill and easy-out time.

04newhog
10th December 2004, 04:40
I've had to use Allen sockets in quite a few of mine after Torx stripped them out. I knock the Allen socket in with a hammer, then they ussually come out.