PDA

View Full Version : 05 Custom

Malc_F
10th July 2007, 01:05
Does anyone know if there are any issues about fitting a spoked back wheel on to a 05 Sportster Custom in place of the solid, and also, does anyone know if the the earlier spoked wheel will fit the 05 model?

rider1951
10th July 2007, 01:18
Does anyone know if there are any issues about fitting a spoked back wheel on to a 05 Sportster Custom in place of the solid, and also, does anyone know if the the earlier spoked wheel will fit the 05 model?

I believe they went to a 1" rear axle in 05 so earlier models won't work. But yes you can put a spoked wheel on the custom.

Malc_F
10th July 2007, 13:42
I believe they went to a 1" rear axle in 05 so earlier models won't work. But yes you can put a spoked wheel on the custom.
Thanks for the info Dave, I would imagine then that the axle size of the older ones (pre rubber mount?) will be in my manual for the up to 04 models?

Im trying to help a fellow who wants to replace his solid wheel for spokes, but he cannot afford to buy new and wants to scout round for a second-hand wheel. But he needs to know accurately what wheel he can use of course!

Hot Rod Sporty
10th July 2007, 13:47
FYI, '04's ARE rubbermounts.

My '05 CAME with the profile laced wheels, front and back. Just make sure you've got a 1" axle hub and you'll be fine.

BTW, USE ANTI SEIZE WHEN YOU INSTALL THE AXLE!!!:smoke

Malc_F
10th July 2007, 13:57
FYI, '04's ARE rubbermounts.

My '05 CAME with the profile laced wheels, front and back. Just make sure you've got a 1" axle hub and you'll be fine.

BTW, USE ANTI SEIZE WHEN YOU INSTALL THE AXLE!!!:smoke

Thanks, I'll pass all this stuff on.

bills bikes
10th July 2007, 15:00
i put a 2001 solftail on mine 05 custom. you can bor out the center for the 1" spacer to fit "the bearing are the same". i went to sears and got a roters file set and use a die grinder took about 45 mim. but you need 2000 or newer wheel. got mine off ebay 100 dollars with tire only 300 miles on it

ZenBiker
10th July 2007, 15:07
I'll be replacing my wheels in a few months and I'd be happy to sell my rear wheel for the cost of a new hub (plus shipping). I was planning on reusing my hubs to save some money but it would be the same as buying a new hub for the rear.

Unfortunately, a new hub will be about $220 and shipping on an entire wheel is somewhere around $40. I assume $260 is way too much...

It's a shame that I'm going to take it off and just cut off all the spokes though... seems a waste but it's just way too expensive to try to save the rest of the wheel as I don't think I can sell them for the cost of replacement hubs.

Malc_F
10th July 2007, 21:23
Thanks for the further info chaps, and thanks the offer of the wheel for sale, I will pass this on to the fellow, and if he's interested I'll post back!

bearsblacksportster
11th July 2007, 00:00
just swap my sister spoke wheel for a solid one (o6 model) i will ask her how much she ask for it if you like.is just the wheel no tyre 1 inch axle type.you are in the uk like me right :)

Malc_F
11th July 2007, 17:55
just swap my sister spoke wheel for a solid one (o6 model) i will ask her how much she ask for it if you like.is just the wheel no tyre 1 inch axle type.you are in the uk like me right :)
Yes im in the UK. That sounds like an interesting deal. Like I say, It aint for me Ive got a 1220S on mags, it's for someone else, a punter actually that bought a conversion kit off us but I'll ask them if they would be interested if you like. if you want email me with details and we'll see what can be done.

bearsblacksportster
11th July 2007, 20:25
Hi malc can you pm me your e mail address please.