PDA

View Full Version : Metzler or Avon?

flskevin
10th July 2007, 00:24
I put an Avon super venom on the back last year and I have already worn it down. I have been looking for the replacement. I have heard Metzlers have excellent tire wear. But the Avon Venoms (am42) look to have a quieter tread design. Any comments on either would be greatly appreciated. P.S. I just put a new Avon Venom on the front.

bwheeler111
10th July 2007, 00:31
Never tried the Avon, but I love the ME880's.

lilpig
10th July 2007, 00:33
I prefer the metzlers. I went to them since Dunlop always seems to be on backorder. Only have a few hundred miles on them, but so far like them better than Dunlops. Handle well in the rain and seem to be good to go.
"Don't make sport of me, just because I ride a Sportster."

Sleeper
10th July 2007, 00:39
flskevin
This is your thead, so I hope you don't mind me asking this. (let me know)
While were on the subject what have you guys found to be the best handling tires also?

lilpig
10th July 2007, 00:48
Don't know if it's the "newness" (hope that's a real word) of the Metzlers but I really think they handle better than the Dunlops. Of course Dunlops is the only other tire I've ever ridden, but a few of by buds run'em as well and they are happier than heck with them. I'll let you know after a couple of thousand miles my final thoughts on them.
"Don't make sport of me, because [I] ride a Sportster."

Gone
10th July 2007, 02:47
I was at the local dealer on Saturday and he let it slip that Harley was "switching" from Dunlop to Michelin as the standard issue tire. They should be arriving in a week or so.

myrl883
10th July 2007, 22:28
I'm running Super Venoms, and love them. They're quiet, and hold the road very well. I have about 6k on them so far, and they're wearing very well. I'd estimate that I'm not half way through their useable life yet.

xena
10th July 2007, 22:44
Had the dunlops, now have the ME880's
front and rear. Will never go back to
dunlops. Bike rides smoother than it
ever has. Only have 700 miles on the
Metzelers so can't comment on the
longevity but if I get the same out of
these that I got out of the dunlops (11k)
I'll be happy.

gusotto
10th July 2007, 22:48
I wondered about new tires also.

I attended J&P Cycle open house in June and was able to talk to Avon, Metzeler and Continental tire reps.

After all the comparing, I settled on the Continental Milestone tires. The tread looked good and after having them on my cars, I assumed they would be fine.

The Milestone tires have 9mm of depth on the rear tire. The Dunlops only had 7mm. That ought to help with more miles.

I've used Dunlops since new. 3 fronts and 6 rears.
Never cared for the way the Dunlops would track on grooved cement roads. Wanted to get rid of that feeling.

Bought two tires but J&P was out of the front tire. Kody from Wisner Cycles (next door to J&P) installed my rear tire and I came back the next week when the front came in.

Funny.... even though I only replaced the rear tire, the grooved cement road tracking problem disappeared on the ride home!
After only replacing one tire, it was very noticeable the improved handling.

I now have both tires replaced and I could recommend Contintal Milestones to anyone.
Really curious how many more miles I'll get with tires that have more tread to begin with.

Just a footnote.....
I noticed how many people don't spell Metzeler correctly. Seems they always forget the "e" after "z".
Can you tell I'm bored?

theoldog
10th July 2007, 23:18
I love my Avons. I put a super venom on last year at 28,000 miles, and a super venom 110/90/19 on the front this winter. Have 41,000+ miles on it now, and still tread left on the rear, and the front looks new.

Rob Henderson
11th July 2007, 04:56
Metzelers for me

ReddTigger
11th July 2007, 05:20
I've got miles and miles on my Metzelers..

I am A SUPER proponent of them..

My dad swears by em..

He's used every tire made for a sportster, and he will only use a Metzeler.

racerwill
11th July 2007, 05:41
I've had the Metzelers M880s for about 1Kmiles now......front and rear...... they ride much better, wet traction is better and the cornering is great!

I recommend the Metzelers....

Ww :smoke