PDA

View Full Version : what front tire do you prefer and why?

unfiguroutable
10th July 2007, 19:13
metz, avon, other, why do you like or dislike your current front tire.

Gone
10th July 2007, 19:26
I prefer soft compound slicks (racing), but there not street legal, so i just run a stock dunlop. It's good enough, and i havent had any flat's with it!!!:smoke

xena
10th July 2007, 19:29
Had the stock dunlops now have
the ME880's both front and rear.
Will replace with ME880's when
the time comes. These tires rock.

theoldog
10th July 2007, 19:38
I'm sure there are lots of good tires out there, as well as not so good, but I love my Avons, and have run them pretty much exclusively for about the last 20 years on all my bikes.

ReddTigger
14th July 2007, 04:30
as long as I can remember, My ole man has proclaimed the Metzeler tire as being the best, He's tried them all over 30 years of riding... I replaced the dunflops with them when I needed new tires, and I Have to say that they are a great tire, in both dry and wet conditions.. They are really a great tire.

bplinson
11th September 2007, 20:35
I have never had Avon motorcycle tires but had them on my SRT4 and they seemed okay.

I am a die hard Metzler fan so I doubt if I will ever try the Avons on my bikes.

nallac
11th September 2007, 22:11
got to be the ME880's.
put a new set of pirellis on it,took them off and put me's on after a month.

Nothing like drifting when going through a round about.arse end sliding about in the rain. Ocasionally the front sliding.
scares ya shitless.
Kinda puts a damper on ya ride.
The pirellis sucked big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

83XLX
11th September 2007, 22:11
I think I'll go with an Avon Speedmaster rib on the front next time.

Vegas1200C
11th September 2007, 22:15
I have Metzlers cause it's a cool sounding German name. People call Dunlops Dunflops so I don't like them and Avon sounds like you are selling perfume. I am all about marketing.

shotgun46
12th September 2007, 05:22
Dunlop all the way I get good mileage so why would I change I get 16 k out of the back and still going on the front and ya cry about tar snakes tar snakes are for wussies and grated bridges well just pucker up and hold on ! if you want to purchase a set of some diffrent type tires find send em and I will test them but till then I aint buying it !

Sportster1200
12th September 2007, 05:41
I put an Avon Venom on my 21" front. What a difference compared to the OEM Dunlop that was on there. Handles better than the OEM 19" wheel I had on previously.

KongBastard

ReddTigger
12th September 2007, 05:43
I have never had Avon motorcycle tires but had them on my SRT4 and they seemed okay.

I am a die hard Metzeler fan so I doubt if I will ever try the Avons on my bikes.

There I fixed it for ya !!

And I agree, I doubt I'll try the Avons as well.

SRT4 huh?? Nice little rocketship..

BTW... Do you get them CHEAPER in Germany ????

ReddTigger
12th September 2007, 05:48
I have Metzelers cause it's a cool sounding German name. People call Dunlops Dunflops so I don't like them and Avon sounds like you are selling perfume. I am all about marketing.

LMAO !! :roflblack

Dunlop all the way I get good mileage so why would I change I get 16 k out of the back and still going on the front and ya cry about tar snakes tar snakes are for wussies and grated bridges well just pucker up and hold on ! if you want to purchase a set of some diffrent type tires find send em and I will test them but till then I aint buying it !

Answer.. Better HANDLING.

also, I finally worn down my Metzeler ME880 Rear tire. It's got close to 14,000 miles on it.

I KNOW for a fact that I had a MUCH better time on those 14,000 miles then I would have had on a stock tire for 16,000 miles. those 2,000 miles aren't worth the trade off of the Handling..

Besides for $140-160 (Rear Tyre, depending on vendor) how can you go wrong ???

shotgun46
12th September 2007, 05:53
Thats cool kinda like the ford and chevy thing Hey its all good we agree to disagree !

ReddTigger
12th September 2007, 05:57
Thats cool kinda like the ford and chevy thing Hey its all good we agree to disagree !

Different strokes for different folks I agree.. :)

I wish I had the Dough,I'd love to send ya a set of Metzelers to try out. I think that you'd have a change of tune.

oh and BTW...

Chevy rocks.

sycle1
12th September 2007, 06:57
Lazer tech Metzler front, Me 880 rear, the front is nearly worn out, about 16000 klm so far probably 1000 left on it.
Great grip a good solid ride on all surfaces I will be getting Metzlers again.
The back makes a huge difference when leaning hard into corners.
Would never use the Dunflops ever again.

Vegas1200C
12th September 2007, 11:52
In all honesty I've had a Metz on the front for about 8000 miles and it still looks new. The stock ran about 12,000 so I'll have to get back to you in 4000. Where I have noticed a big difference is the way a Metz rolls when you lean. The stock Dunlop felt flatter and wanted to stand up more. That might be a personal preference thing but I like the way the Metz corners. The rear is definitely stickier and doesn't break traction as easy.

shotgun46
12th September 2007, 12:53
I guess after reading all this about the other brand I guess I will have to give em a shot on my next tire purchase if people notice that big of diffrence are they that much better ????

Folkie
12th September 2007, 17:02
My Dunlop front wore out in 8,500 miles, which I thought wasn't particularly good. I replaced both tyres with Metzeler ME880s, which are a far superior tye in almost every respect. In particular they don't follow cracks, seams, and ridges in the road, they cushion better over bumps, they turn into corners easier, and I think they have better grip. I say 'almost' because they do seem more susceptible to side winds. I'd never go back to Dunlops, and I'll probably get ME880s again next time, unless I can find anything even better. I was wondering about Metzeler Lasertecs; has anyone tried these?

relayer4u
13th September 2007, 03:43
My observations on tires:

Avons are really nice if you have to ride in the rain alot.

Pirellis are better than Avons when it's hot. (Pirelli owns Metzler, BTW)

The Michelin Man can take a hike 'cause France sucks.

Dunlop spends too much on advertising, not enough on research.

Metzeler gets my money because motorcycle tires are all they make!

:banadanc

;)

ReddTigger
13th September 2007, 03:49
unfortunatly, I've only seen the ME880's in the tire sizes to fit the rear of the sporty. I've researched the Metzeler site and haven't found another tire that'll fit.

Now if I went to a custom size wheel, I can fit other models.

Maybe after my front wears out, (I just replaced it) i'll give the Lasertec's a try.

PaulDM
13th September 2007, 04:11
I just got a new stock Dunlop today from the dealer. It’s working nicely. Here’s the story, the front tire went flat on Sunday and I had to ride it about 4 miles like that, it would not keep any air from service stations pumps and I could not find any punctures?

Once I got to the house and started looking it over again I noticed something. There was something sticking out from in-between the tire and rim, the tire was off the rim by then and I could see it now. It was the valve stem cap; the little black cap was mashed flat and stuck to the tire with tire lube!!

I got the dealer to come by with a trailer and load the bike down to them then spend several hours with pictures and the cap for evidence and eventually got a new tire installed gratis. The clincher was when the wrench guy came in to ask the see the thing as there was an impression of the cap in the tire and the tire was worn on the reverse side from the cap throwing the tire out of round at that point….

Good factory work by highly skilled and trained tire guys? Groan… so glad (thanks Lord) that I didn’t have a catastrophic decompression on the freeway…..

Or get stuck on the back roads of the near-by Rocky Mountains I like to canyon run in. And oh yes, now I might not need that fork brace I have been thinking of :doh

XLFREAK
13th September 2007, 04:34
got to be the ME880's.
put a new set of pirellis on it,took them off and put me's on after a month.

Nothing like drifting when going through a round about.arse end sliding about in the rain. Ocasionally the front sliding.
scares ya shitless.
Kinda puts a damper on ya ride.
The pirellis sucked big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

What Pirreli tire were you using?

Rico 05R
13th September 2007, 04:42
I'm on my second set of the Bridgestone BT45V Battleaxe's. I like them alot.

cantolina
19th September 2007, 04:33
I have always run 402's....Harder sidewall, and great mileage....great tire all around....and I ride in ALL weather...

Most recent front tire is a Dunlop K181 Qualifier...I don't think its even made anymore, but I know where a few more are....:p Its got a great "bite" on the road....

I'll probably go with that again....

Still love the 402's tho....I'm not likely to change...I need the mileage...:smoke

Folkie
19th September 2007, 11:53
unfortunatly, I've only seen the ME880's in the tire sizes to fit the rear of the sporty. I've researched the Metzeler site and haven't found another tire that'll fit.They do a Lasertec that fits the rear of the rubbermounts, though from what you say they presumably don't do it in the narrower size for the older bikes.

Folkie
20th September 2007, 14:44
unfortunatly, I've only seen the ME880's in the tire sizes to fit the rear of the sporty. I've researched the Metzeler site and haven't found another tire that'll fit.They do a Lasertec that fits the rear of the rubbermounts, though from what you say they presumably don't do it in the narrower size for the older bikes.I've just been looking through the Metzeler catalogue, and it looks like they do make a Lasertec in 130/90-16. That is the right size for pre '04 Sportys, isn't it?

There was also a ME77 Perfect in that size in last year's catalogue, but they seem to have dropped it.

Vegas1200C
20th September 2007, 14:56
Lasertec sounds kind of 80's to me. I need a modern sounding tire. It is really a shame the Venom is an Avon tire. If it was made by Old Spice I would buy it simply out of brand name recognition.

Folkie
20th September 2007, 15:21
Lasertec sounds kind of 80's to me. I need a modern sounding tire. It is really a shame the Venom is an Avon tire. If it was made by Old Spice I would buy it simply out of brand name recognition.:roflblack

Despite what it may sound like, the Lasertec is a new tyre; it replaces the ME33, ME330, ME55A, ME550, ME99A, and ME1.

Vegas1200C
20th September 2007, 15:52
I really wish more companies would let us decide what we really want. If they would lable their tires as "warm weather, crap for wet" or "horrible traction but will last a lifetime", wouldn't we all be much happier?

Granted "Marathon" is fairly obvious and the letter designation helps but seriously, we are all adults. Why the fancy names just to sound flashy? Venom? Sounds dangerous but not what I'm looking for in a tire. "Lasertec"? Again does that have any qualities I need?

diesel_lv
17th October 2007, 05:40
Has anyone tried the Dunlop Elite 3. They have them in 16's for the rear and 19's for the front. Look similar to ME880's. Many Goldwing riders use them as replacements. Great handling, load rating and mileage.

Jesse_Bolt
18th October 2007, 08:09
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Jesse_Bolt/e5b008a1.jpg

As the successor to the K591 sport tire, the new V-rated Dunlop GT501 (http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=8) features bias-ply construction and incorporates a radial-style tread pattern for contemporary styling and a larger footprint.

Front 100/90-19
Rear 150/80B16

JB

diesel_lv
19th October 2007, 18:43
Afraid to try ME880's again. Had them on my FLHTC and only got 4000 miles out of the rear, and that was almost exclusively highway.

mitch
19th October 2007, 19:19
I think the Avons Roadriders are great. You can get matching 21" (90mm)front and (150mm)16" rear V-rated that handle great in the rain...Way better than the Dunlops.
I also had the fat SuperVenom which measured 159mm on the stock 3"rim. Liked it alot, very sticky, too bad they discontinued it.

jimmyess333
19th October 2007, 20:04
I run Bridgestone Spitfire on all my bikes. To me it's the perfect Sport touring tire with a little more emphasis on Sport. The middle compound is for high mileage and the shoulders are a softer compund to grip in turns. Great for lighter bikes and standards that are used for spirited cruising and long rides.

cantolina
25th November 2007, 23:33
Has anyone tried the Dunlop Elite 3. They have them in 16's for the rear and 19's for the front. Look similar to ME880's. Many Goldwing riders use them as replacements. Great handling, load rating and mileage.

My Dad (Willprevale) swears by'em...probably will be my next set.....

gymrat523
26th November 2007, 00:54
got 8000 on my dunlops replaced with the me880's, I have 8000 on these and they look like they have another 8000 to go, front and back.
Not running in the squiggilys on the road and running smooth on grated bridges I notice most, also corner better, I think I will stick with them.
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/749/medium/sportster_005.jpg

Folkie
26th November 2007, 00:57
got 8000 on my dunlops replaced with the me880's, I have 8000 on these and they look like they have another 8000 to go, front and back.
Not running in the squiggilys on the road and running smooth on grated bridges I notice most, also corner better, I think I will stick with them.
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/749/medium/sportster_005.jpgI like the white lettering; was that difficult to do?

gymrat523
26th November 2007, 01:07
I like the white lettering; was that difficult to do?
actually very easy, about 30 minutes with a harley white tire pen, another thing my wife laughed at when she saw me doing it, but I get a lot of comments on them.

Winchester92367
3rd January 2008, 03:22
Well I did lean somthing new today while reviewing this post. The post got me curious to research other bands of tires besides Metz and Dunlop and and when I went to the Cooper Tire tire site appears that Cooper owns Avon tires and I was not aware of that!

XL4me
3rd January 2008, 03:49
stock type dunlops (for now), rented a Fatboy with Metzlers........, I don't know if something was wrong with the bike (out of balance / alignment ???) the thing rode like crap !!! Went back to the place and the guy (someone I know) said, "it was just the Metzlers, they run at a higher air pressure, so it will feel different". Made me not want to every ride on Metzlers again. Still don't know what the deal was, as that guy sold the bike and the rental business since then......???????

Folkie
3rd January 2008, 07:38
Well I did lean somthing new today while reviewing this post. The post got me curious to research other bands of tires besides Metz and Dunlop and and when I went to the Cooper Tire tire site appears that Cooper owns Avon tires and I was not aware of that!So it seems; I'd never heard of them!

ColinB
3rd January 2008, 12:38
I run Bridgestone Spitfire on all my bikes. To me it's the perfect Sport touring tire with a little more emphasis on Sport. The middle compound is for high mileage and the shoulders are a softer compund to grip in turns. Great for lighter bikes and standards that are used for spirited cruising and long rides.

oooo...how could I not have a tyre called "Spitfire"?

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/Bridgestone-S11-pair.jpg

More info here.....http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Bridgestone-SpitfireS11.htm

NoBoZoS
3rd January 2008, 13:50
Has anyone ever tried a set of Continental Milestones on their ride? They come in blackwall, single whitewall and double whitewall.

loki03xlh
3rd January 2008, 14:34
Well I did lean somthing new today while reviewing this post. The post got me curious to research other bands of tires besides Metz and Dunlop and and when I went to the Cooper Tire tire site appears that Cooper owns Avon tires and I was not aware of that!

Running stock dungflops for now, but thinking about giving avon a try next. I run cooper on my firechicken and truck. Cooper cobras on the car, great cornering, rated to 149, so-so on the mileage. Cooper lifeliner classic on the truck, averaging almost 80,000 a set, no problems. (not off-road tires, just regular tires)

gamhill
3rd January 2008, 15:23
As the successor to the K591 sport tire, the new V-rated Dunlop GT501 (http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=8) features bias-ply construction and incorporates a radial-style tread pattern for contemporary styling and a larger footprint.

Front 100/90-19
Rear 150/80B16

JB

Are you running these or just post a pic?

Winchester92367
15th January 2008, 01:26
So it seems; I'd never heard of them!

Cooper is an old tire company started way back in 1914 in Akron Ohio (also a big Goodyear tire town, name on every building) been around a long time here in the states

Folkie
15th January 2008, 07:15
Cooper is an old tire company started way back in 1914 in Akron Ohio (also a big Goodyear tire town, name on every building) been around a long time here in the statesThanks. :)

Rascal
15th January 2008, 14:00
I prefer soft compound slicks (racing), but there not street legal, so i just run a stock dunlop. It's good enough, and i havent had any flat's with it!!!:smoke

Same here for me...

jrogers329
15th January 2008, 14:12
I have the dunlops on my bike now..only 5k on them and they look fine. I put Avon Venoms on the front and rear of my last bike and I loved them. My neighbor has Venoms on his sporty and he really likes them also. His rear tire wore out in about 2 years though..not sure how many miles he has on it.

Folkie
15th January 2008, 14:57
I prefer soft compound slicks (racing), but there not street legal, so i just run a stock dunlop. It's good enough, and i havent had any flat's with it!!!:smokeKind of opposite extremes, aren't they? If you like soft compound slicks, I'd have thought you'd appreciate something grippier than the Dunlops? :wonderlan

yorgo
30th January 2008, 20:17
stock Dunlop - why? cheap and last a long time. I think this tire is a good balance between grip and mileage. It is very predictable and sticky enough when dry or wet. Soft compound tires grip much better but when they break loose watch out.

Folkie
30th January 2008, 20:55
The Dunlop front is predicatable. It predictably sticks like glue to any ridge or rut in the road.

williamv1203
6th May 2008, 08:33
Avons when I got it, then Dunlops. All seemed to wear quickly. Pirelli's now and they are lasting great... :wonderlan

mech4matsnova
6th May 2008, 12:13
If any of you have access to Drag Specialties, Im running the Maxxis ProMaxx front and rear. Best tire I have EVER ridden on. Its a great soft/medium compound tire that I can ride on all day and then run the 1/8th all nite. Handling and cornering was dramatically improved over the stock dunlops. I like the sportbike style handling these tires produce along with some suspension mods. I have put almost 5K on them already and almost no wear. The best part was I only paid I think $64 for the front and $80 for the rear(3.00x21 F, 130/90x16 R). I will ride these tires for life, After I came back from my first ride with them I ordered two more sets. Check them out, Maxxis ProMaxx.

cafe_dave
9th May 2008, 03:30
I still have my OEM on, I have used Avon on my sportbikes and Dunlop sport elite's (Dating myself) I know that the stock tires are not all that
anyone using Venoms on their xl's?

jason43
12th May 2008, 20:30
I love the way Firestone Deluxe Champions look. Haven't got a pair yet, but I will at some point.

http://www.universaltire.com/images/pt_25294.jpeg

MacAttack
21st May 2008, 20:32
"I really wish more companies would let us decide what we really want. If they would lable their tires as "warm weather, crap for wet" or "horrible traction but will last a lifetime", wouldn't we all be much happier?"

Oh. Well then, you want Cheng Shin. The only tire I ever found that was both hard as a rock AND wore out quickly. Cheap is dear.

tat2d2dope
22nd May 2008, 03:20
Avon Speedmaster rib on the front and avon gangster on the rear.
they look old skool and perform awesome.

Folkie
22nd May 2008, 09:43
Avon Speedmaster rib on the front and avon gangster on the rear.
they look old skool and perform awesome.Pics ?

havi0412c
22nd May 2008, 09:54
yeah really, what do they look like?

I have been running the Marathon 880's from Metzeler. they stick pretty good, and I have about 8,000 miles on them. I guess that is why they call them marathon's!!!!

ReddTigger
24th May 2008, 00:21
The Dunlop front is predicatable. It predictably sticks like glue to any ridge or rut in the road.

They also Predictably give you a pucker moment going over a grated bridge.

Rich883Low
8th October 2008, 17:36
Just got a new set of ME880s on this week after 15k with the stock tires. Wow, what a difference.. the MEs are MUCH better..

02883r
17th October 2008, 02:39
I've used the Dunlop D402, K404, and K591. a few sets of Metzler ME880, Avon Venoms, Avon Roadriders and a set of Cheng Shin Barracudas. I was really really tight on cash earlier this year and desperatly needed a new set of tires before a long run so I took a chance and bought the Cheng Shins because I could get both tires (including mounting; I took the wheels off and took them into the shop) for just under $100. They actually perform and wear very well, better than the stock dunlops. My favorite tire for wear and handling so far has been the ME880s though.

Takingabreak
17th October 2008, 06:13
My observations on tires:

Avons are really nice if you have to ride in the rain alot.

Pirellis are better than Avons when it's hot. (Pirelli owns Metzler, BTW)

The Michelin Man can take a hike 'cause France sucks.

Dunlop spends too much on advertising, not enough on research.

Metzeler gets my money because motorcycle tires are all they make!

:banadanc

;)

Hi.

I would like to take Issue with that. Yes, 401 and 402's are generic round tires, they are not the best at anything except high mileage for wear.
But that is like judging any tire company on the tires they sell to a car manufacture, they all have these basic tires, but they also make premium tires as well.
Goodyear spend quite a bit on tire development (They own Dunlop) and the new Dunlop Elite 3's are very high tech, grip like glue and I have talked with other riders that have gotten 15K + out of a set.
The GT-501's are the ones that will fit the Sportsters, and I have talked with enough guy's that have them to know there just as good as my E 3's.

All I can say is, if these tire wear out in 10K, I will still buy another set, the ride is smooth as glass and you just can't believe how well they grip in the turns.
I love them.

And, they are made in the good old USA (Upstate New York) I would rather
have these then some tires that wear faster and are made in Brazil.

Folkie
17th October 2008, 07:41
the new Dunlop Elite 3's are very high tech, grip like glue and I have talked with other riders that have gotten 15K + out of a set.
The GT-501's are the ones that will fit the Sportsters, and I have talked with enough guy's that have them to know there just as good as my E 3's.It seems to me that both the E3s and the GT501s (which are quite different tyres) are available in sizes for Sportsters:Elite 3

MM90-19, width: 4.04"
90/90-21: 3.54"
MT90B16: 5.15"
MU90B16: 5.57"
160/80B16: 6.10"
GT501

100/90-19: 4.05"
130/90B16: 5.25"
140/90-16: 5.60"
150/80B16: 6.19"

Except that the GT501 is no good if you have a 21" front.