PDA

View Full Version : Recall on 2007 bike

superten
13th July 2007, 00:57
The H-D dealer called me today told me the part was in stock for the recall, told him I knew nothing about it he said I should of had a letter.

Anyway the reason for the recall is the possibility of the front fender hitting the rectifier/regulator. The new part moves it out the way I guess.

My question is after looking at the front end of the bike for ages, is it possible for this to happen I just can't see it unless your doing some serious heavy braking maybe.

Could someone enlighten me!!!

cheers

Folkie
13th July 2007, 01:07
If you're doing serious heavy braking the forks will compress to the limit of their travel and the fork legs will flex backwards.

OK, it might not happen in any other circumstances, and even under very heavy braking it might only happen one time in 1,000 (that the fender hits the rectifier), but one time is all it takes to cause a serious accident. If you're being cynical you might say that H-D are protecting themselves against the (possibly remote) chance of a massive law suit.

Mr.Hick
13th July 2007, 01:57
yeah, I own a XL12N and my front fender is scraped to shite. the recall really is more based on the low models.

Folkie
13th July 2007, 02:03
yeah, I own a XL12N and my front fender is scraped to shite. the recall really is more based on the low models.So will the recall replace your fender too?

Goshawk
16th July 2007, 10:32
If your bike was assembled later in the year then they changed it already. Since you did not get a letter this may be the case. If you give your H-D dealer your VIN number he could check if it is on the recall list.

roadster
17th July 2007, 08:51
These are not complex engineering issues. You might think H-D could figure these trifling details out before a model is released. It's just an embarassment, I tell ya. Good thing they don't build airplanes.

superten
17th July 2007, 12:40
What concerns me is when you check this info out on the NHTSA website it states the company declared a recall in December 2006 and it affects bikes manufactured between May 2006 and November 2006.

I took collection of my bike on the 17th May 2007 and was informed about the recall in July, I've done 1200 mile so far.

My question is how come its taken so long for UK riders to be informed if its such a problem.:frownthre

wachuko
14th September 2007, 15:00
We just a got a call for ours... 2008 XL1200N... so it seems it is just not limited to '07s

Update: The call was not related to a recall... it was that, during assembly or preping, the gas cap had a small scratch and they had ordered a new part to replace... so no recall calls... false alarm.

I need to check the bike when I get home... I do not remember seeing a scratch on anything...