PDA

View Full Version : need help - oil puking

skirtster
17th July 2007, 09:25
i have a 99 1200 xl and i have screaming eagle air cleaner straight pipes and the timing was bumped up a little bit and its pissing oil or tranny fluid out of the breather thats under the seat and it keeps getting worse and worse i put a ne hose on ive tried everything what could be wrong with it

cantolina
17th July 2007, 13:41
i have a 99 1200 xl and i have screaming eagle air cleaner straight pipes and the timing was bumped up a little bit and its pissing oil or tranny fluid out of the breather thats under the seat and it keeps getting worse and worse i put a ne hose on ive tried everything what could be wrong with it

How are the crankcase breathers working? Can you feel air pulsing in and out of THAT vent?

JeePing
19th July 2007, 03:33
If it's a tranny fluid then you have to much of it in there ( happend to me to ), just change the fluid and put 1qt and you should be good to go.
hope that helps

83XLX
19th July 2007, 14:59
Run the hose up high under the seat (install a longer one if necessary), over the oil tank/battery. The extra elevation will keep the fluid in the transmission and primary where it belongs.

Wizzard Of Odds
19th July 2007, 18:21
Run the hose up high under the seat (install a longer one if necessary), over the oil tank/battery. The extra elevation will keep the fluid in the transmission and primary where it belongs.

What he said!

cantolina
19th July 2007, 18:23

This shouldn't be an issue, unless there is excess pressure in the engine somewhere.....

83XLX
19th July 2007, 18:31
This shouldn't be an issue, unless there is excess pressure in the engine somewhere.....
Well, unless something's REALLY wrong, engine pressures shouldn't be getting into the transmission/primary cavity. I had the same thing happen to mine at continuous highway speeds (with the trans properly filled), and this trick cured it. I think it's just a design flaw that acts worse on some bikes than others, sort of like the crankcase breather issue. Of course if there is much pressure in there, for whatever reason, it will still work its way up the elevated hose and puke.

011200custom
8th August 2007, 23:51
Mine had a bad crankshaft seal inside the primary. Replace the seal and spacer and it should solve your problem.

ReddTigger
8th August 2007, 23:58
Mine had a bad crankshaft seal inside the primary. Replace the seal and spacer and it should solve your problem.

I had the same problem, One way I knew something was amiss was I was losing more oil then normal. Check your primary, if you have more fluid then you put in, then you probably have a busted seal. Not to hard to fix, it was one of the very first things I Did on my bike,

while you're in there you may also want to change your shifter detent. HD made a newer one and its better. If you got the extra loot, I'd go with the baker shifter drum, as it's claimed to reduce shift noise as well as make it easier to find neutral. I say claimed, because I haven't installed one (YET)