PDA

View Full Version : XD 9801 Subcompact 9mm

Gone
31st January 2010, 18:38
I'm trying to decide on a new CCW.

I went to the gun store and looked at several hand guns including the Taurus 709 Slim 9mm which I thought I would like but didn't.

I finally decided the XD 9801 Subcompact had the best feel (but only with the extended clip). List price for the gun kit which includes a standard clip and one extended clip plus some cheesy clip and gun holster is 479.00.

My question is to any one here who has shot this weapon; What do you think of it?

My question to this forum would be; What do you think of the XD brand?

Thanks,
Bud (H1)

cliff883
31st January 2010, 19:41
I have a xd45 tactical and love it. It seems very balanced and is very acurate. My one buddy has the xd40 4in. barrel and loves it aswell.

Gone
31st January 2010, 19:43
I have a xd45 tactical and love it. It seems very balanced and is very acurate. My one buddy has the xd40 4in. barrel and loves it aswell.

Hey Cliff883 thanks for replying.

Do you use xd45 as your ccw?

I had thought about the 45 but was concerned about the size as a ccw.

cliff883
31st January 2010, 19:47
I do carry it sometimes using a shoulder holster and sometimes using my paddle holster. But obviously thats with wearing a coat. I ususally carry my FEG Pa-63.

Gone
31st January 2010, 19:57
I am going to the gun store right now so I will look at that FEG.
Thanks,
Bud(H1)

don flamingo
2nd February 2010, 03:56
Fondle every gun you can. Take a look at some Glocks and S&W M&P's. I have one of each and love certain things about both of them.

The Glock is lighter weight and is a 45, S&W holds more bullets (13 vs 7), and feels better in my hand.

Guess which one I carry more...

cotnballs
2nd February 2010, 04:11
I carry a XD 9mm 4" with V10 porting and like it a lot. 17 rounds with one in the tube. I shot a few Glocks and a few other composites and it was my favorite hands down.

AsSeenOnTV
2nd February 2010, 04:23
Ya mean one of these? Great for hiking. Nice and light.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/Planejain/DSC05628.jpg

Its a great gun for the money and you can't go wrong with buying one. There are good guns and there are bad guns, and this one lists in the first category.

Weo
2nd February 2010, 05:22
I know there's a lot of XD fans on the forum. I've never shot one myself.

Just a heads up if you're just checking the "feel" without shooting a few off. If you haven't fired the higher capacity polymer guns, you need to know that the balance is completely different with a full clip then when you're holding it empty at the shop.

Unbalanced
2nd February 2010, 06:46
I've had an XD-9 subcompact for about a year and a half, fired about 500 rounds through it without a single malfunction.

I chose it over the Glock because it felt better in my hand, the glock to me felt too blocky like it was made of legos. THis is something you just have to try out, different guns feel better to different people.

I carry the XD as a CCW. I prefer a shoulder holster if I'm wearing the clothes for it. In warmer weather it goes in an inside-pants holster in about the middle of my back. That way kind of annoys me though cause it digs into my back when I'm seated so I'm always taking it out and putting it back in every time I get in and out of a car, etc.

btw, I'm 6'0" and 165lbs, so there aren't a lot of places I can hide a handgun. I'm thinking I might use the XD for shoulder holster carry and get a small .38 or a Walther PPK for t-shirt weather.

Zoharo
2nd February 2010, 22:20
I also carry the FEG PA 63 (9x18) Hungarian Makarov. At under $200 (used are $90 to $180, sold also as surplus) no concerns about scratches, wear marks, or being confiscated. I am not a big fan of most holsters, as I find very few that are comfortable for me and lend to an easy reach and draw, yet concealed. The "belly band" was unique, but not quite perfect. Purchasing a kidney belt/backbrace (cheap at WalMarts), I modified it with a small hammer strap. I cross draw, releasing the strap, sliding thumb alongside the inside grip, and it "pops" into my hand. The carry is on my weak side, with barrel above my hip.

I am going to the gun store right now so I will look at that FEG.
Thanks,
Bud(H1)

don flamingo
20th February 2010, 00:42
What gun did you end up buying?

Gone
21st February 2010, 02:31
What gun did you end up buying?

Still shopping. They all look so great I'm having a hard time picking one. I am going to the range Monday afternoon to try a few more.

I'll update the thread as soon as I come home with the new one.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Zoharo
10th February 2011, 21:56
I'll update the thread as soon as I come home with the new one.

OK..............its been a year now ..........

Since last we posted, my collection, needs, and wants have evolved. I added a sweet .38 derringer, over under, and a .357 magnum 6 shot Rossi revolver.

What did you purchase?