PDA

View Full Version : Put my stock air cleaner on and it runs goofy with it now

Micheletti
2nd February 2010, 16:40
:censor I installed a new air cleaner last weekend and the bike ran like crap, sometimes didn't want to run at all. Everyone said it was getting to much air and needed a power commander or some other type of fuel management system. So, I put my stock air cleaner back on the bike. It runs a thousand times better now that its back on, but not as good as before I removed it last weekend. Doesn't seem to idle as well and it seemed to idle real low a couple times when I came to a stop, almost like it was going to die. The only thing different is that I am using the gasket that came with the new filter. Its blue, harder and thicker, then the original. I did not use a gasket sealant, like blue RTV or anything. Should I have? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Vassago
2nd February 2010, 16:53
I wouldnt use and sealant but maybe air is getting through or past the harder gasket (not sealiing tight enough). Try swapping back to the original. Thats where i would start.

Ahks
2nd February 2010, 19:38
Try swapping back to the original. Thats where i would start.
but he just said...
...So, I put my stock air cleaner back on the bike...

:doh

silvasilv
2nd February 2010, 22:27
certainly wouldnt use any sealant on it...and i believe vassago is referring to the gasket not the air cleaner

dr.feltersnatch
2nd February 2010, 23:09
Sounds like you developed an intake leak. if you need help checking let us know.

biknut
2nd February 2010, 23:15
Somthing doesnt sound right. You put a different air cleaner on and the bike wouldnt idle? Ahhh...I think you goofed up somewhere.The air cleaner should not affect the idle. Got some pics,..lets see if we can shed some light on this.

Changing the air cleaner on a FI bike makes a big diff. You have to remap it to run right.

my1200
2nd February 2010, 23:49
but he just said...

:doh

He was refering to the original gasket....:doh:doh

Ahks
3rd February 2010, 01:41
He was refering to the original gasket....:doh:doh

this makes WAY more sense than my initial interpretation of the reply LOL