PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EFI How can you own a bike for 2 years and only put 540 miles on it?

bigjnsa
3rd February 2010, 17:28
I see more and more of these garage queens. Its kinda sad people paying good money for a bike and never ride it. Check this out:

"Like New 1200N. Only 540 miles. I have owned the bike for two years. Bike has been garage kept, never seen water. Trickle charger included. Entire bike is stock except for the addition of forward controls. "

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/1583433072.html

celtic
3rd February 2010, 17:30
maybe because the bike was always dead from leaving the headlight on like in the 1st pic.

or too much snow and road salt there in san antone...

s0uthernrebel78
3rd February 2010, 17:31
i know a person who had to have a sportster that was in 2007 it is in their garage and has less than 1thousand miles on it i kepp telling them either ride it or i will or just sell it, but they want way to much for a bike that is 4 years old regardless of mileage

bigjnsa
3rd February 2010, 17:33
maybe because the bike was always dead from leaving the headlight on like in the 1st pic.

or too much snow and road salt there in san antone...

We have primo weather here (aside from today). I did 540 miles my first weekend of owning the bike. I'm sure somebody will buy it, but I think 8500 is too much.

blueroadster
3rd February 2010, 17:41
I don't understand it either. I see a LOT of bikes 2-3 years old with 1000 miles or less. Damn! I can't even imagine letting a bike just sit there and look pretty. Ride that bad boy!:tour

celtic
3rd February 2010, 17:43
We have primo weather here (aside from today). I did 540 miles my first weekend of owning the bike. I'm sure somebody will buy it, but I think 8500 is too much.

nobody likes a braggart.

especially when they've had their bike sitting for two and a half months and will have it sitting for most likely another month and a half....

:cloudmad

philidor1958
3rd February 2010, 17:46
I do not ride much. I only put 10,000 miles on mine in 11 months. If I were employed I would not have the time to ride, now I am unemployed I do not have the $$ to ride. It is a trade off. Now if I get a part time job I might be able to put 20,000 miles in a year. :) I think it is crazy to buy a bike and not ride it. I would love to take a ride to the hill country sometime soon.

SuperTed
3rd February 2010, 17:47
Ask a BT owner. :D

seajay
3rd February 2010, 17:49
My buddy has a '06 Roadliner with 425 miles. He also sold a '04 Texas Chopper in '08 with 1600 miles.

scotthotrod
3rd February 2010, 17:50
I have had mine going on three years and have 15,000 on her. I rade as much as I can. Pay the money have to get all out of it.

bigjnsa
3rd February 2010, 17:51
nobody likes a braggart.

especially when they've had their bike sitting for two and a half months and will have it sitting for most likely another month and a half....

:cloudmad

Well I haven't ridden in 3 days due to the El Nino pattern here. Looks like my chance will be tomorrow, if not Friday-Sunday when the next wet pattern hits us by Monday.

Sorgy
3rd February 2010, 17:53
I see more and more of these garage queens. Its kinda sad people paying good money for a bike and never ride it. Check this out:

"Like New 1200N. Only 540 miles. I have owned the bike for two years. Bike has been garage kept, never seen water. Trickle charger included. Entire bike is stock except for the addition of forward controls. "

I Bought a 2006 Softail Springer classic with 600 miles on it just a few months ago for 10,000 . Sold it for 13,200 a month ago. Sorgy

Flame__
3rd February 2010, 17:56
Bought my 93 sporty 2 years ago with only 3700 miles from two owners. Guess that's why they sell them. I won't sell it, but I've also put that many miles on it each year.

sportsterdude.248
3rd February 2010, 18:02
Kind of sad isn't it. I think a lot of people just think it's what they want, you know they have a friend that does it and it looks cool so the go out and get a bike and find out it's not for them. I think that there is a lot more Harley's that just sit vs imports though. It seems it's just some kind of prestige thing to say you have a Harley weather you ride it or not. I know people like this. Bet you do to. Then I think there are people that lose there heart. Like my brother who used to pound it like a rock star until some drunk bastard decided to take his lane away. He almost fully recovered but his bike sits and that I think is the saddest scenario because I know how much he enjoyed but every time we plan a ride he finds an excuse to back out.

sportymike02
3rd February 2010, 18:14
those are the guys who love the lcd odometers as their bike sits in the driveway or the stealers lot on open house day

bigjnsa
3rd February 2010, 18:17
those are the guys who love the lcd odometers as their bike sits in the driveway or the stealers lot on open house day

Dude, that's so true. I don't think any of them have ever seen dust, mud or rain.

Ireeman
3rd February 2010, 18:19
tears for Geronimo.

Loner
3rd February 2010, 18:20
If they wants to just sit in th garage they got those they are called Bicycles.
The term poser just fits they pose in their garage.
Look at it thiss way their negative is a postive for us rider we can usually get a good deal.
I got my "new" Scooter (I'll wait until your done laughong) a Honda Big Rukus 250 for just under 900 bucks, it had 634 miles on and did not run all it needed was a battery the person who rode just left it at his parents house and took off and the parents do not know how to ride a scooter turn it on pull twist grip go.

Weo
3rd February 2010, 18:23
You guys have to stop putting down the low mileage sellers. They allow a lot of people to try out a Sportster at a lower price (although this one might be overpriced), keep the line thriving, as well as give us parts to purchase off of ebay.

I have a couple friends that only put 500 miles per year on the cars they consider their babies. It might be a shame, but if it makes them happy who cares?

goranothos
3rd February 2010, 18:29
If I were employed I would not have the time to ride, now I am unemployed I do not have the $$ to ride.

Actually, probably 90% of the miles on my bike are to work and back (62 mile round trip). If it's above 40F and not thunderstorming, I'm riding. As the temperature drops below 40, I rapidly lose interest.

emzdogz
3rd February 2010, 18:38
you guys I know you all are passionate about your riding and that you ride always and in all kinds of weather, etc. But the fact remains that this is (still, sort of) a free country and you can buy whatever you want and let it sit in your garage.
The other thing is sometimes sh_t happens and people are busy doing other stuff.

I'm having a low mileage year this year cuz I'm doing other stuff on weekends besides looking at the rear ends of the same cows over and over, so I'm a little sensitive on this one.

This summer will make 3 years (I think since I bought the 07 and its possible I won't yet have 10k on it) OTOH, when I pay it off in 2 more years (and may then have time to travel) I will be happy to have a low mileage bike that I own outright.

Just saying, there's LOTS of scenarios.

It could be that they bought that particular bike and don't like it, and that they ride their other bike.

respectfully submitted,
Em

luvmysprty
3rd February 2010, 18:44
One person's loss is another's gain. I think a lot of people buy a bike then realize they don't have time to ride or just don't enjoy it. To each their own. There are a lot of them out there though and with the economy people want to get rid of stuff they don't use.
http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/mcy/1583986417.html

DIESEL
3rd February 2010, 18:55
My bike has 35000, wife's 12,000 and the new one (1 year) has 13000

I don't understand it. I just did a honda 450 and it is an 1982. it has 5508 miles over 28 years, so they rode about 196 miles a year.

sportymike02
3rd February 2010, 18:57
I didnt pay $11000(after the harley tax) to look at it

Loner
3rd February 2010, 19:04
I bought mine and look at it all the time lol.
but I understand what you are saying.

chardhin
3rd February 2010, 19:07
there will be circumstances were people are unable to ride. be it their over seas/ military, maybe thet have to travel a lot via plane like me. some people have careers that make it where there just not home. them some people may buy a bike just to look the part and realise its not their part to play and put it up only to sell it later. so many people out there each has their own story to tell. I try not to be too judgemental and let them do their own thing. let the yuppies but the bike at full price so I can buy it cheeper five years down the road with low miles. I think its a good thing. I am not bothered by someone trying to take that step to ride a motorcycle, and when they trip and realise its not for them we win. hell my bike had less than 4,000 mile on it and I got it $4,800 and it had so many little things on it that cost money. the light on mine cost the guy 600 bucks. I feel I did well there.

sportymike02
3rd February 2010, 19:10
I bought mine and look at it all the time lol.
but I understand what you are saying.

I do look at mine all the time too, the chrome & paint still look new. maybe I should have said I didnt pay for it not to ride it :smoke

mtlhed
3rd February 2010, 19:12
I'm a low mileage guy as well. I've always enjoyed keeping my vehicles low mileage (bike or cars), especially if in 20 years or so I have what's considered an old motorcycle, yet it looks great and has low mileage. It's not that I purposely don't ride just so I can keep low mileage, mostly it's weather, I'm too busy doing honey do's, I'm working weekends or off on a far off job site location, etc. etc. I do ride to work occasionally, but that's only 10 miles each way. I bought my '03 Custom about 3 years ago ('06 I think) with 2,000 on the odometer. It now has maybe 8,000, so I guess I've averaged about 2,000 miles per year. I don't plan on ever selling it, so it hopefully will stay dependable well into the future.

celtic
3rd February 2010, 19:19
you guys I know you all are passionate about your riding and that you ride always and in all kinds of weather, etc. But the fact remains that this is (still, sort of) a free country and you can buy whatever you want and let it sit in your garage.
The other thing is sometimes sh_t happens and people are busy doing other stuff.

I'm having a low mileage year this year cuz I'm doing other stuff on weekends besides looking at the rear ends of the same cows over and over, so I'm a little sensitive on this one.

This summer will make 3 years (I think since I bought the 07 and its possible I won't yet have 10k on it) OTOH, when I pay it off in 2 more years (and may then have time to travel) I will be happy to have a low mileage bike that I own outright.

Just saying, there's LOTS of scenarios.

It could be that they bought that particular bike and don't like it, and that they ride their other bike.

respectfully submitted,
Em

there is no reason for logic. please take that someplace else.

we all know that unless you ride ___ miles a year on your NON-EFI, NON-Rubbermounted, NON-EVO, take off your mirrors, reflectors, blinkers, do all your own maintenance, chop and grind down your frame, refuse to wear a helmet and protective gear, etc...

you AIN'T no REAL biker.

:sofa

bigjnsa
3rd February 2010, 19:21
I'm surprised a lot of you don't ride that often, but I can understand other things going on in life. I took a year off without a car so I guess I'm the minority. I never drive the car if I don't have to and use the bike for everything.

celtic
3rd February 2010, 19:24
I'm surprised a lot of you don't ride that often, but I can understand other things going on in life. I took a year off without a car so I guess I'm the minority. I never drive the car if I don't have to and use the bike for everything.

if i didn't live in the tundra and COULD ride my bike year round, i prolly wouldn't have a car.

as it is I don't ride as much as I'd like to, but I still like to get 4-5K miles on my bike/yr. even though I don't get to ride it Nov-March.

colonelangus
3rd February 2010, 19:34

ive seen this many times over the years .guy buys bike on a whim and never really rides it.my buddies dad purchased the first yamaha virago and its in mint condition to look at .it has less than 2500miles he thinks its going to be a collector bike and wont ride it much.what a joke theres a knob born every minute

River Runner
3rd February 2010, 19:57
My neighbor has a '03 Wide Glide that sits in the garage with a cover on it next to a corvette with a cover. I have never seen the vette move. He occassionally rides the glide, like out the door then back home again before you can blink. He's always talking about wanting to go for a long ride with me, but it hasn't happened. He thinks because its an anniversary model its an investment. He starts his bike several times a week all winter long in the garage to "warm it up". :doh To each his own, just seems crazy to spend that kind of dough for a toy then brag about how low you keep the mileage

stephenw
3rd February 2010, 20:11

I love these guys!!
I got a brand new bike that had been owned for 18 months by someone who did 300 odd miles in it for 3500 less than list :smoke

chardhin
3rd February 2010, 20:13

how do you know how much we ride?

cotnballs
3rd February 2010, 20:20
Dec-March its too hard to ride here with the temps and snow. 40 degrees is my limit also.

bdbecker
3rd February 2010, 20:53
This is the reason why I tell most of my non-riding friends who ask me if a Sportster is a good starter bike to just buy a $1000 beater Jap bike for the summer and see how they like it before sinking 5-10x more money into a HD. When you're good enough friends with someone, you can usually tell if they'll get into riding or not.

One person's loss is another's gain. I think a lot of people buy a bike then realize they don't have time to ride or just don't enjoy it. To each their own. There are a lot of them out there though and with the economy people want to get rid of stuff they don't use.
http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/mcy/1583986417.html

Hey luvmysprty - where are you at in NW Iowa? We can't be too far apart - I live in Vermillion, SD. Once the roads clear up, hit me up and we'll go for a ride if you want. There are a few guys in town here that are also on the forum.

bigjnsa
3rd February 2010, 20:58
how do you know how much we ride?

I was going by the average comments, not you personally. I'm just saying...

chardhin
3rd February 2010, 21:02
I was going by the average comments, not you personally. I'm just saying...

just heard it a lot lately, and started tinking someones knows something I dont. but rite now I am in washington my bike is in oklahoma snowed in so i am not ridding. my bike is also waiting for a tach kit wiring harness so its down till I get it installed. I didnt take offense to what you were sayin just wondered.

shotgun46
3rd February 2010, 21:04

His wife did not want him to buy it or let him ride it or he has a Honda :laugh

wilkin4
3rd February 2010, 21:08
My Sport is a 1996 and I bought it last year with 10,000 miles on it, that's not much for a 13 year old bike. Since I bought it last March I have ridden about 6,000 miles and a full year is not up yet. So far I have ridden at least two hours a week, and I need to ride more.:tour

Robotech
3rd February 2010, 21:12
I am one of those more than happy that there are people out there selling low milage bikes. If it wasn't for one of those I wouldn't have my Sportster.

wilkin4
3rd February 2010, 21:21
^^^Good point^^^

xraytoken
3rd February 2010, 21:25
In 2002, I bought a '98 Hugger off a guy who had won it in a contest. He had a clear title for it, but had never registered it. It had 859 miles on the clock, all from riding around his neighborhood for four years.

chardhin
3rd February 2010, 21:32
I am one of those more than happy that there are people out there selling low milage bikes. If it wasn't for one of those I wouldn't have my Sportster.

yup me also. both my harleys were second hand with low miles. my little scooter i bought new and put on a 1500 miles when I gave it to my nephew last july. that little tng baja 150 was a blast to scoot around on, would do 65 mph easily and would jump curbs like a bmx.

GoldfishPimp
3rd February 2010, 21:35
Here's one on eBay that I've been keeping any eye on.... whoever owned this 07 dumped a ton money and time in it and only put about 2500 miles on it. Thought it would be a great bike for my brother (basically brand new), but it just went over his budget.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-NIGHTSTER_W0QQitemZ170437770525QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ US_motorcycles?hash=item27aee1fd1d

slumchop
3rd February 2010, 21:35
i bought my 1990 xlh in october, it was a one owner bike it only had 2820 miles on it, thats 141 miles a year on it. i thought it was BS but after looking at the title, service records and it matching the speedo I knew it wasnt,

hoby
3rd February 2010, 21:44
i bought my 1990 xlh in october, it was a one owner bike it only had 2820 miles on it, thats 141 miles a year on it. i thought it was BS but after looking at the title, service records and it matching the speedo I knew it wasnt,

I thought I was doing well when I found a 89 with 17,000 mi. Gotta love those low mileage bikes!

dashadow
3rd February 2010, 21:48
Could it be that he bought it because of the "lifestyle" ads that he saw on TV and magazines, then found out that riding a motorcycle on the street scared the beejesus out of him?

bigjnsa
3rd February 2010, 21:49
Could it be that he bought it because of the "lifestyle" ads that he saw on TV and magazines, then found out that riding a motorcycle on the street scared the beejesus out of him?

You're probably right Shadow.

GoldfishPimp
3rd February 2010, 21:52
I don't know what's worse, buying a bike and not riding it or buying a 2008 Nightster and trying sell it a couple years later for $12400..... (sorry if this is an member's bike, but geeeesh).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XL1200N_W0QQitemZ260545883973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _motorcycles?hash=item3ca9beaf45

XLFREAK
3rd February 2010, 21:56
Hello, My name is Sean and I have a low mileage bike.:clap

My '08 Nightster only has 1300 miles. It's been a combination of my working hours (me working late and leaving from my house with a company vehicle to get to my jobs), a new baby girl and me modifying the bike. Watch out this spring though! Winter mods are almost done and our job load has tanked. Pics of the mods and me AIS will be posted soon.

MonkeyMouse
3rd February 2010, 22:00
You guys have to remember like mentioned, things come up, maybe it was a second bike. Who knows. I got my bike with 340 miles, and over $2k in accessories lol. Hey, fine by me I got it for half of what his dealer receipt showed he payed. How ever I havn't put nearly as many miles on it as I had thought I would.

My 07 only has 5000 miles on it, yes I am ashamed as I love this bike and love to ride the wang out of it. How ever a few things have happened... The first summer I had two jobs and both were a short trip, the one less then a mile the other about 15miles round trip, and working 70+ hours left little time to ride other then to work. Then this past summer I lost my license in may, that really cut into any ridding as other then school and my two jobs I couldn't just ride for fun; and the one was working on a golf course which they did not care for me rolling up on my harley haha. Not to mention the fierce buffalo winters we get!

So yeah things can come up. But still you have to wounder what people were thinking when you come across that 2 owner 10+ year old bike with 2000 miles lol.

jakebuganski
3rd February 2010, 22:03
I don't get it either. I think riding is either "for you" or "not for you" - and that you figure that out pretty quickly... at least in my experience.

I had never ever sat on a motorcycle until I took the rider course and got my license last October... then I bought my bike and proceeded to put 1100 miles on it in about 5 weeks before the weather got too bad here in NJ. Now as soon as the forecast calls for anything close to 50, I'm just waiting to pull it out of the garage.

It blows my mind every day when I poke around craigslist and see all the 3-5 year old bikes with next to no miles on them... these guys should have sold the things years ago.

drd1135
3rd February 2010, 22:08
Some folks try to ride and don't like it. They hate to admit that to themselves so they hold on to the bike for while. It's really easy to let it sit in the garage for 1-2 years. Out of sight, out of mind. People are just like that.

sportymike02
3rd February 2010, 22:42
Jake, were in NJ are you? I'm in New Brunswick, wanna burn some gas & disturb some neighborhoods this year? :tour

luvmysprty
4th February 2010, 00:22
This is the reason why I tell most of my non-riding friends who ask me if a Sportster is a good starter bike to just buy a $1000 beater Jap bike for the summer and see how they like it before sinking 5-10x more money into a HD. When you're good enough friends with someone, you can usually tell if they'll get into riding or not.

Hey luvmysprty - where are you at in NW Iowa? We can't be too far apart - I live in Vermillion, SD. Once the roads clear up, hit me up and we'll go for a ride if you want. There are a few guys in town here that are also on the forum.

I'm just down the road from you in Sioux City. I haven't been able to ride at all this winter. The city only plowed my alley twice after the big snow storms so I can't get the bike out. I'll probably have to wait for a good March thaw then I'll be ready.

Tin Man 2
4th February 2010, 00:31

Yes thats Crazy, Ive got to go now, my wife of 7 yrs says tonight we are going to consumate the Marriage !!!

Likemlouder
4th February 2010, 00:49
i have an 07 wideglide with relatively low miles. because i am always working on or riding a sporty ;). if you enjoy the bike thats the main thing. i know guys who bought and paid extra for anniversary paint thinking investment wrong they are a dime a dozen now for sale since the economy bottomed out. i bought an 03 gunmetal wideglide i wish i hadn't traded in because it was a great bike and i rode it way more than i do the 07. of course that was before my surgeries. things change for everybody. ride when you can because there will come a day when you can't.

Sorgy
4th February 2010, 01:06
You guys have to stop putting down the low mileage sellers. They allow a lot of people to try out a Sportster at a lower price (although this one might be overpriced), keep the line thriving, as well as give us parts to purchase off of ebay.

I have a couple friends that only put 500 miles per year on the cars they consider their babies. It might be a shame, but if it makes them happy who cares?
You know you do have a point. I have a 1970 split bumber Camaro I built. 365HP small block roller motor with a 4spd, posi track & I might put 500 miles on it in a year.. My little rigid Bobber last year maybe 1,500 miles on it. My RoadGlide just under 11K. Now I added an XR1200 I suspect I will make some tracks on it for awhile. It's just been way too much fun to ride. Sorgy

Irish883
4th February 2010, 03:59
Different strokes for different folks.

When I bought my first bike, I put 15,000 miles on it in 6-7 months. I also rode it as a DD, rain or shine, and for fun. That doesn't make me better than a 500 mile a year guy, it just makes me different.

Take today for example... The roads still have snow in spots, are wet and nasty, and we had a high of 40 with a projected low of 29 (feels like 25 type thing), yet I still rode to work. I just love riding, and considering next week will be filled with highs of 35 and lows of 10-15, I am getting as much in as I can... I may be crazy, but not stupid... 25 and below is cold at 65mph no matter what kind of gear you have.

decman
4th February 2010, 04:17
I love people like that, you can get a great deal on some of those.

Hell I bought a 2001 1200S with 2,000 miles on it in March 2009.
It was MINT....... :clap
The guy had 3 bikes so I could not rag on him.

I tripled the miles in one month :tour

IronSportMan
4th February 2010, 05:41
I live in San Antonio too, I cannot imagine only riding 540 miles in two years. I've only had my bike a week and put over 150 miles on it! Thats including through all this rain we have had this week.

rjg883c
4th February 2010, 05:42
There could be reasons why a bike has low mileage. In 1972 I was working 60 hours a week in a bakery performing hard physical labor, a full time college student at UNLV, and I still found time to put about 12K miles on my CB500.

I don't work anymore, at least at a job that pays money, but I only put about 20 miles on my scooter today. And today was a rare day which allowed me to ride at all. Tomorrow's schedule includes hours sitting in a doctor's office, a trip to a mortuary to sign some papers, and then whatever else happens to take up my time.

There may be some riders, such as the guy that put on 4,000 miles in one month. That's 1000 miles a week, every week. Some people have other things to do in addition to riding.

Ron

Loner
4th February 2010, 06:00
when I bought my current bike in 2002 brand new it had 5 miles on it that was a Thursday.
The following Friday I took in fot it's 1000 mile service.

Ireeman
4th February 2010, 07:13

Be carefull, maybe those 540 miles are a quarter mile at a time.:banadanc

Hands0fDeath
4th February 2010, 07:45
I "acquired" my 96' sporty in Dec. of 09' with 3554 on the odometer. So happy low mileage riders are out there.

jimmyess333
5th February 2010, 06:48
I love the fact there are so many clean bikes for sale at used prices.
Maybe it will allow someone to afford a Sportster who couldn't before.
Harley is trying to reach the younger market but maybe the low prices of used overstock will do more than all of Harley's marketing ever could.

As for the original owner, sometimes people's lives change.
I used to ride the crap out of my bike when I first got it then my job became more demanding than I ever imagined. For 2 summers I put less miles per summer on this bike than any other bike I've owned. Now my life took a few more turns and I've begun doing trips on it I've only dreamed of before. Every bike has it's own story. The bike that's sitting now may see great things years from now. It's not a waste unless it's destroyed.
Live on high milers and dormant bikes alike.

jimmyess333
5th February 2010, 10:50
I never even think about what my odometer says except to keep track of maintainence. I just leave it on "trip A" so I know when to get gas.
Is there really someone petty enough to walk around a meet checking other people's odometers for the purpose of making judgements?:frownthre

Baphomet
5th February 2010, 12:57
I don't know why some people buy a bike and then not ride it, but it seems to me that in spite of the low mileage the asking price is only about a 1500 off the 2010 price. Not enough savings for me to go 3 years used and the mileage is excessively low which tells me many internal areas have not been lubricated in years. No, not a bargain in my book.

I'm sure someone will buy it and be happy with it though ... so I'm not tying to be all negative.

I don't know that keeping a bike in the garage is not all that much different than only breaking it out to go to that rally or group ride. Seems the person who just hops on to go for a purposeless ride where they will most likely not be seen is the one who enjoys the ride and not so much the attention.

tensejed
5th February 2010, 13:06
3 years ago i got my 2000 xlc and it had just over 1100 miles on it. the guy i got it from also had 2 BT s. anywhoo he bought it for his wife brought it home and she rode it around the block and deceided she would rather ride bitch on a BT then ride.
he told me he would put a few hundred miles on it or so every year to keep it running and thinking she may one day want to ride.
7 years later it was mine and looked just like brand new. i may have bought it for a bit more than it was worth but it was brand freaking new with accs.s for 1000's of dollars under what it cost new :banana:tour:banana

Stumble
5th February 2010, 14:00
Got my 99 in 02 2k miles, put it up to 3500 in 3 years! Now I ride 500 miles a week back and forth to work. Still looks brand new and up to 17000. Found out what I WAS MISSING! Rain, sleet or snow my sporty always wants to go! (cheesey I know) :chop

emzdogz
5th February 2010, 14:03
Rain, sleet or snow my sporty always wants to go! (cheesey I know) :chop

nah not so cheesy. Its true - and that is one really endearing thing about a Sportster. It is one willin' motorcycle. And a patient one too. Even when dormant the potential in its vibrating heart (err, engine) is amazing.

bigjnsa
5th February 2010, 14:12
nah not so cheesy. Its true - and that is one really endearing thing about a Sportster. It is one willin' motorcycle. And a patient one too. Even when dormant the potential in its vibrating heart (err, engine) is amazing.

Yep! Out of all the bikers at work, mine was the ONLY one in the parking area yesterday ;)

emzdogz
5th February 2010, 14:21
Yep! Out of all the bikers at work, mine was the ONLY one in the parking area yesterday ;)

well bless its throbbing, pulsating, regularly-ridden heart!
;)
have a good one BigJ

rubyred
5th February 2010, 14:24
I could not imagine not riding her. Some days, I go out to the garage just to check on her and look at her.:doh I bought mine first week in Nov, put 700 miles on since then. :tour Now, mind you, it's been snowing since Christmas off and on.:p I've only had one day I could ride in Jan.:(. I'm so ready for the weather to break, even for a day!

Martyvz
5th February 2010, 15:15
A guy that lives a few doors down from me has a boat and a jap bagger that he apparently owns just for show. He has
them in his garage. Looks like he opens his garage door to show them off on weekends.......never seen either of them
moved. I guess some peoples only purpose in life is to try to impress others.

Mikes883IRON
5th February 2010, 18:15
I dont ride as much as I'd like/should and it is one of the reasons I bought a sporty, and I am so glad i did! It fulfills my need/desire to ride. I have 800 miles on my bike that I bought in June 09. I still try to ride in the winter, 2-3 times a month to and from work, 25-30 miles round trip(depending on my route).

I hope to keep this bike and give it to my 11 mo. old son when he is 16 yrs. old. Unless his 4 yr old sister wants it before him.

Thats when I will get a BT and then have time to take longer trips.

as far as the 540 miles in 2 years goes, there has got to be more to the story...

ozark
5th February 2010, 19:11

People have been doing this for a long time.

All I can figure is that they think they want to ride and can't get past fear / exhilaration of the first couple thousand miles. :wonderlan

Some of us immediately get addicted others have the s**t scared out of them.

Ozark

bigjnsa
5th February 2010, 19:15
People have been doing this for a long time.

All I can figure is that they think they want to ride and can't get past fear / exhilaration of the first couple thousand miles. :wonderlan

Some of us immediately get addicted others have the s**t scared out of them.

Ozark

To be honest, I didn't really ride mine for the first 3 months. Maybe a weekend or two, but the majority of it was spent in the garage. I think from June '07 (when I bought her) to September '07 I put maybe 300 miles. Then one day I decided to ride to work. That's when it all changed for me ;)

ozark
5th February 2010, 19:24

Same here. I hate to see someone make their "beginner" mistakes on a 500+ pound $10,000 bike.

Ozark

bigjnsa
5th February 2010, 19:29
Same here. I hate to see someone make their "beginner" mistakes on a 500+ pound $10,000 bike.

Ozark

So true.. one guy in my MSF class bought a $20k fully loaded Road King before taking the class. Never even touched a bike until that class. Two days later I'm at the same dealer picking up my new Sporty and I see his bike in the used area for sale.

ozark
5th February 2010, 19:38
I could not imagine not riding her. Some days, I go out to the garage just to check on her and look at her.:doh I bought mine first week in Nov, put 700 miles on since then. :tour Now, mind you, it's been snowing since Christmas off and on.:p I've only had one day I could ride in Jan.:(. I'm so ready for the weather to break, even for a day!

I thought I was the only one. I have a security camera set up to watch my bike. I must probably look at it at least every 15 minutes. :D

Ozark

Kent
5th February 2010, 19:49
In the sh!t happens crowd here.

I used to be a daily driver and not use the car at all. 80 miles per day minimum.
Then comes the wife and two young kids etc. Wife and I had a spot of trouble between kids as well and I was on my own with my son for almost a year. Bike essentially went up on blocks for a year and got maybe two rides in. Still have the bike. She just doesn't get nearly the miles on her as she used to. Ride to work when I'm not hauling gear but even then I'm only 5 miles from the office.

My wife knows I enjoy riding and when I let her know I need my "time out" I'm out for a couple hundred miles about once a month she tells me to have fun and ride safely and I still get the same thrill I had the first day I ever threw my leg over the seat.

However when my 2 year old or 5 year old ask my to play with them, help with homework, etc. Things like the bike take a backseat. My odometer has a bit of sandbagging on it from my old lifestyle but if something happened and I needed to replace my sporty with another bike. people would probably accuse me of being a garage queen. Little bit of a rant but it's not how many miles you put on the bike.

I guess in my opinion and my own situation it's quality vs. quantity.

Osco
6th February 2010, 19:49
I Ride my "Girls Bike" when ever I can. I work hard and long,,so I'm a friday afternoon and weekend rider. Had the bike just over 4 months, got mc on licence three months back. A few cold weekends here in Florida and a few rainy ones. 450 miles so far,,It's My Toy an I ride when I can. Goin to Daytona Bike week,,gonna do a couple of Day trips since I'm only 140 miles away. I doubt I will average more than 5,000 a year. I guess It's gonna last me along time.,,,,2008 XL1200R Black:smoke
One of these days I'll get into photobucket.

rottenralph
6th February 2010, 19:52
I have only seen my neighbo out on his twice in three years and he was testing his new pipes. I bet his rubbermount has less miles than that. Next time I am out I will take a peak.

goranothos
6th February 2010, 21:16
...and as he flies, tears in his eyes...

Ride On

bolt54
6th February 2010, 22:17
Scored my two owner 2008 1200C with 70 miles on it this past October for $6,500. Thanks to those two owners for not riding it and selling it to me. I've put 1000 miles on it before storing it for the winter, can't wait for nice weather so I can hear my new pipes.

ElectricCityIron
6th February 2010, 23:10
I bought my sporty in Aug brand new and before the end of nov i had like 750 on it. I norm ride like 5 miles aday to work then when i can on the week ends. ...I cant see owning something and never using it.

dieseldoc
6th February 2010, 23:38
I try to not worry about what others do. To each his own. I havn't ridden since november. Bad weather and such. Gonna be gone A LOT this year. When I am home for 2 days it is family time. I own my bike so what I do is my buisness. What you do is yours.

RedstarMike
7th February 2010, 21:07
I try to not worry about what others do. To each his own. I havn't ridden since november. Bad weather and such. Gonna be gone A LOT this year. When I am home for 2 days it is family time. I own my bike so what I do is my buisness. What you do is yours.

I agree. I think I have done 150 miles since November. Kids, wife, work, winter, in that order.

I'm worried the new childcare arrangements (baby in nursery, 4 year old in school) when the missus returns to work will mean no opportunity to use the bike for my commute, which only leaves the weekend - family time.

So I can see how I might end up with a very low mileage bike too, only purchased my current one in late November. Frustrating, but I'm refusing to cave in and give it up. I'll get the odd weekend during the summer to put a few hundred on, but mostly it'll be only occasional short trips when I can fit it in - some would say it's not worth having, but I say it's my money, my bike, my life. :)

bplinson
7th February 2010, 21:09
Co-worker of mine bought a 2003 Sporty with 5 whole miles on it a couple of months ago.

Freakin' amazing!

RedstarMike
7th February 2010, 21:16
Friend got himself a new Honda CBR600 'for when he passed his test' back when I first passed mine (we started on sportsbikes). Took him nearly two years of lessons and failed tests for him to lose interest, so he eventually sold it with about 5 miles on too.

I think that probably happens a lot, Harleys are quite aspirational for non-bikers so it probably happens with them too.

ElectricCityIron
7th February 2010, 21:47
Hey I agree with not riding for valid reasons, like weather (i live in upstate ny i haven't ridden sense the freezing temps hit) or kids and family(my wifes preggos and i know imma loose alot of riding time when the babies born...but guys that buy them to just have it and think ohh someday Imma sell this piece and itll be pristine and ill get so much money for it. Thats all im saying. Buy it to enjoy it...if not i know Ill enjoy mine... whenever winter decides to go away...

kledhead
7th February 2010, 23:10
I have had mine going on three years and have 15,000 on her. I rade as much as I can. Pay the money have to get all out of it.

I promise, I will never ever cuss the Va Beach school system again! By the looks of some things, it seems like our education wasn't that bad after all...

roadie996
9th February 2010, 21:50
my friends boss has 4 bikes with less than 300 miles COMBINED on them. A fat boy, sporty, yamaha r1 and r6... yeah...

bdbecker
19th February 2010, 20:01
Here's another one...

http://waterloo.craigslist.org/mcy/1605969848.html

DeathFromAbove
19th February 2010, 20:51
My stepfather has a 2003 Anniversary Heritage with 12 miles on it. All of them have been put on by the dealership during maintenance.

bigjnsa
19th February 2010, 21:14
Here's another local one.... I got a chuckle the last sentence:

"Breaks my heart, but I don't have time to ride. Must sell."
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/1607534960.html

Babalu
19th February 2010, 21:48
i put 5,000 miles on my bike in 6 months. it's been laid up for about the past month due to engine work and some other stuff. it's been real cold so i haven't minded too much.

i think people fall in love with the idea of riding a bike, or fall in love with the image. but once they get on it and ride they nearly poop their draws merging on a freeway and in the garage it goes for a few years.

in all fairness i pay $22.00 a month for a gym membership i never use, got a hair in my ass about getting in shape one day went for three months, got the flu and never went back.

smackie
19th February 2010, 22:14
guess i am a low mileage guy too. 9000 (i think) since june of 05, been called a poser, garage queen etc etc but. I wish i could ride it more but life keeps happening, work out of town, three kids etc etc.

but what i have done in those 9000 miles has been worth every penny.

3 motorcycle rallies
2 laydowns
4 states
one blown motor (second motor rebuild in process)
2 roadtrip breakdowns
mulitple "weekend" trips with wife
125 MPH
70 MPH sideways dirt road run races
28 degrees
Torrential rain storms
nearmisses with deer and cars
mulitple "stop light" drags (including the Hot bike centerfold Baker 6-speed bike...I won)
and one inadvertant motorcycle jump

Quality...not quantity....

funnythebunny
19th February 2010, 22:15
I picked up my 2005 XL883L back in 2007 with only 500 miles on it... and it was garaged with a cover on it... needless to say the bike was pristine (better than showroom condition, as it already had about $1000 of HD bling on it); the price was $5202.00 (I outbid someone by $2.00) :D Gotta love these garage queens :tour

Master of None
20th February 2010, 00:06
I probably sit on mine in the garage and make motor sounds with my mouth enough during the winter to put on over 500 miles. And it isnt even moving.

groverat
20th February 2010, 00:39
i have put over 4000 miles on my bike in 6 months

it would be alot more but i live in texas and it has been a really cold and more snow/ice than usual

smackie
20th February 2010, 04:30
I probably sit on mine in the garage and make motor sounds with my mouth enough during the winter to put on over 500 miles. And it isnt even moving.

AWESOME:banana
if that counts i have racked up at least 25000 :smoke, more if you get extra credit for parking the bike in the living room and doing it ?

Master of None
21st February 2010, 03:47
AWESOME:banana
if that counts i have racked up at least 25000 :smoke, more if you get extra credit for parking the bike in the living room and doing it ?

Absolutely! If there is a signifigant other giving you the stink eye because you have your bike in the house, you get "balls of steel" miles too.

ShaneMarie
21st February 2010, 04:15
There was a Triumph Legend on Ebay with less than 1000 miles that I really wanted this spring (couldn't justify). I think it was the 99, but they only made them for a couple of years. The owner flat out admitted that she bought it new, but could never pass the license test.

I was embarrassed for my gender.

smackie
21st February 2010, 04:22
Absolutely! If there is a signifigant other giving you the stink eye because you have your bike in the house, you get "balls of steel" miles too.

surprisingly she is the one that reccomended it....think she got tired of having to go outside to see me.

so unfortunately no "balls of steel"...maybe if i started it???:geek

Brad
21st February 2010, 04:26
I know a few cats who struggle to put 1000 miles (1609.344 km) on their bike each year. There are a lot of factors that restrict their riding and I don't begrudge them the choice they have made. I do about 10,000 mi a year, but then again, I sleep alone at night... ;-)

Hem1tp
21st February 2010, 04:36
I just sold my 03 sporty that had about 6500km and only about 1000 since my engine build. I was only tuning it and riding it once a year to the emissions place. I wanted someone else to take it out and ride it like it was built for.
My "excuse" is my 95hp 2006 Roadking is just a hell of a lot more comfy and I like being able to pick up beer and groceries w/o setting the case on the tank! I have put at least 25000 mi on the r/k since I picked it up late 08 so it does get ridden.
I think I priced it too low; sold w/i 24hrs on craigslist; but I can't stand guys who think sporties are worth more than 7k. my engine alone had more than 5k worth of work and parts but at the end of the day its still a sporty. And I'm not bashing sporties, I love them they are the epitome of a real bare, light, fast original motorcycle and I love that about them. Actually had a guy tell me he wanted a bigtwin but only could afford a sporty so that what he was looking at. I told him it wasn't for sale.
I know my sporty is going to a good home and will be ridden the way she deserves so that almost makes me happier than seeing it in the garage.
Sorry for the long post...Tim

ShaneMarie
21st February 2010, 04:41
I know my sporty is going to a good home and will be ridden the way she deserves so that almost makes me happier than seeing it in the garage.

Oddly enough, that sounds similar to the feeling I had when adopting out foster dogs.

Texassporty06
21st February 2010, 04:53
I, too see this all the time, many sporties for sale with low mileage, as a matter of fact I just saw one on CL a few weeks back here in the Ft. Hood area, I believe it was an 08 Nightster with 17 miles on it. The guy stated that he basically rode it home and it has sat.... no time to ride! hmmmm and wanted 9500 for it. I can completely agree with alot of people who cant ride(due to weather and riding situations) I am always having people comment to me when they see me getting off my bike..... isnt it too cold to ride that thing or why do you ride that thing in the rain?( I love how people call it a thing!!), that was a couple of weeks ago when we had that cold blast through our area and it was 26 degrees out when I went to work. I dont care about the weather :p I dont mind cold and I dont mind rain... as long as I have the gear to keep me from getting cold and wet I am fine !!! :laugh
Just my two pennies.

ShaneMarie
21st February 2010, 04:58
that was a couple of weeks ago when we had that cold blast through our area and it was 26 degrees out when I went to work.

You Texas people are so cute. 26 is cold?

Texassporty06
21st February 2010, 05:08
You Texas people are so cute. 26 is cold?

Hell yeah when your riding at 70MPH !!!! Other than that I am an Army brat that spent most of my life between Texas and Germany... and my folks are from Nebraska, so I have seen my share of "real" cold weather:laugh

biged
21st February 2010, 05:21
It's amazing and it's not just Harleys in 93 I brought a 82 1100 Yam with 2104 mi.s on it. when I sold it 3 years ago it had just under 55K on it. funny thing is, the rarest seems to be is the average rider. I've had friends of mine call me a mutant and maybe I am by comparison 5K on the ch since last Apr.
But compare that to a friends 97 1200c at 2800 mi.s the best thing is him bitching every time he takes it out something fails I told him use it or lose it or frankly sell it.

michaelmartin
21st February 2010, 05:28
Between this past June and November I put 4,900 on my bike. And that was with weeks upon weeks of rain in Jersey where I couldn't ride.

And I STILL feel like I wasn't out enough.

Even if I was only going up and down the same highway, I still rode.

goranothos
21st February 2010, 14:08
I dont care about the weather :p I dont mind cold and I dont mind rain... as long as I have the gear to keep me from getting cold and wet I am fine !!! :laugh
Just my two pennies.

Well, I need better gear then, because when it gets below 40, my fingers go numb on my ride to work. Literally numb. Course, it's a 32 mile one way trip at 0530 in the morning going 60-70mph.....

Last year, I managed to put over 3k miles (each) on two different bikes. I'm down to one bike now, so should easily get over 6k this year. If I ever move to southern AZ (have plans...), I'll ride year round. May even sell my car, lol.

bigjnsa
21st February 2010, 14:41
Well even I'm not riding much lately... Planned to do a few hundred miles yesterday but got called into work. Didn't get home until 2pm and was too tired to go for a ride. Today, its misty and rainy so I doubt I'll get out before 10am.

IronSportMan
22nd February 2010, 07:32
Well even I'm not riding much lately... Planned to do a few hundred miles yesterday but got called into work. Didn't get home until 2pm and was too tired to go for a ride. Today, its misty and rainy so I doubt I'll get out before 10am.

Your in san antonio like me?

Did you ride today?!?! IT WAS GORGEOUS OUTSIDE!!