PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EFI Well getting 10k Maint. done... Might as well get an Engine oil cooler!

vettelover84
14th February 2010, 01:35
My local dealer is having a promo. Get 25% off any 3 services. One was the 10k service and another was the engine oil cooler. I have been looking into them for quite awhile so and it just so happened that my 10k service is due. So I brought my bike in this morning.

I was met by 3 guys!! They walked from inside the shop out to where I parked, they wanted to look closer at the Sporty! They all liked it alot! :rolleyes:

I talked to the service guy for quite awhile and the parts people to see what the oiler cooler would run since my 10k service is already taken care of. It should come out to about $250 out the door. I am pretty ok with that. I have to wait till Tuesday to get the bike back because they had to order oil cooler kit. :frownone

So here is to +$700 of work to my bike!! :doh I know I could do the oil cooler setup myself but I figure what the heck I am getting 25% off. :)
Now I need to look for one of those oil cooler covers for the cold days!

Pictures will follow.... Tuesday night! Oh I ordered my Front Mezler Marathon too. $107. + $40 to install... I don't get how my front tire wore out before my rear....

vettelover84
14th February 2010, 01:42
The service people and I had a nice chat about Choetown's Nightster too. Poor bike has been down for to long!!:censor

They seemed surprised that I knew all about it and that he posted it all on the forum... LOL

Baphomet
14th February 2010, 01:44
Good for you. Some might argue that 25 percent off is still too much to pay for what you can do yourself ... but we are not all alike so if you are going to have the dealer service it then sounds like a good deal.

At the risk of sounding ignorant ... what advantage is there to an oil cooler? I mean, I know it will make the bike run at a lower temp, but to what is the advantage of that?

philidor1958
14th February 2010, 01:48
I got my indy to do my 10,000 mile service. I saved $240 and then spent it on a new helmet. I am considering an oil cooler as well, but do I really need one?

vettelover84
14th February 2010, 01:51
At the risk of sounding ignorant ... what advantage is there to an oil cooler? I mean, I know it will make the bike run at a lower temp, but to what is the advantage of that?

Honestly, I am not certain....I have read about it and it seems that it may help at cruising speeds to keep the oil temp down but it also adds to the oil capacity. Plus it looks cool... isn't that why we do what we do...:laugh

I really think it will add to the look of my bike while helping a bit on the performance side.. I really did it cause I want it and i figure it can't hurt the economy any...:geek:geek

Baphomet
14th February 2010, 01:53
Honestly, I am not certain....I have read about it and it seems that it may help at cruising speeds to keep the oil temp down but it also adds to the oil capacity. Plus it looks cool... isn't that why we do what we do...:laugh

I really think it will add to the look of my bike while helping a bit on the performance side.. I really did it cause I want it and i figure it can't hurt the economy any...:geek:geek

Cool. When you get your bike back post a pic so's we can see it. Thanks.

vettelover84
I got my indy to do my 10,000 mile service. I saved $240 and then spent it on a new helmet. I am considering an oil cooler as well, but do I really need one?

I have the 2 years of PSP. so my services were paid for. the 10K service is $400!!! not including the Synthetic oil and the sweet Skull Derby cover I got for $35(free install)

vettelover84
Cool. When you get your bike back post a pic so's we can see it. Thanks.

Oh I will!!!:banadanc

Hot Rod Sporty
14th February 2010, 02:28
Chris, do you have a oil temp guage dipstick? I have had trouble getting my bike up to 150 degrees the last few rides I've taken in the cold. In the heat of summer mine never gets much above 200 degrees.

vettelover84
14th February 2010, 02:43
Chris, do you have a oil temp guage dipstick? I have had trouble getting my bike up to 150 degrees the last few rides I've taken in the cold. In the heat of summer mine never gets much above 200 degrees.

Nope. I supppose I should look into a gauge. Any good places to look?

I thought they made covers for the oil coolers?

clarencebyrdxl
14th February 2010, 03:12
I have a HD oil cooler on my 06, Jagg cooler on my 07. You can get a cover for the Jagg cooler. But to my knowledge the only thing HD offers is some kind of plastic chrome POS decoration. I made a cover for my 06 cooler out of old leather welding gloves and zip ties. Good enough for the few months of cold weather I need it for.

vettelover84
14th February 2010, 18:13
http://www.setrabusa.com/jagg%20files/jagg%20pages/jagghome.htm

I wonder if that bypass from Jagg is worth it.. Or if I just need to get a cover made. There is a leather shop at the local mall. I bet they could make me something cool for the Sporty... hmmm

Hot Rod Sporty
15th February 2010, 05:52
Nope. I supppose I should look into a gauge. Any good places to look?

I thought they made covers for the oil coolers?

I just picked up the HD Dipstick/Gauge because I had points at the Dealership in Houston and was about to leave, so I used 'em for that. It's not terribly expensive...maybe 40 or 50 bucks....and I know it fits...

vettelover84
15th February 2010, 05:55
I just picked up the HD Dipstick/Gauge because I had points at the Dealership in Houston and was about to leave, so I used 'em for that. It's not terribly expensive...maybe 40 or 50 bucks....and I know it fits...

Yeah I was looking on ebay.. seems like it would be a worth while investment... Maybe I will grab one up when I pick up my bike..

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 00:14
Well got my bike back today! I bought a oil temp dip stick, they installed the derby cover, oil cooler and washer her up!! Now I have to wait for my metzler tire to get here!! hopefully tomorrow!

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 00:16
Derby Cover

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/chris_dean_2000/Harley/DSCN1412.jpg

Oil Cooler

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/chris_dean_2000/Harley/DSCN1413.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/chris_dean_2000/Harley/DSCN1414.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/chris_dean_2000/Harley/DSCN1416.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/chris_dean_2000/Harley/DSCN1411.jpg

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 00:17
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/chris_dean_2000/Harley/DSCN1419.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/chris_dean_2000/Harley/DSCN1424.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/chris_dean_2000/Harley/DSCN1417.jpg

xllent01
18th February 2010, 00:21
You don't need an oil cooler on a highly tuned bike..just run syn, (yeah I know wait till the syn versus dinotards get ahold of this) your bike will run cooler..atleast in my experience do the work yourself and leave the coin $$$ in your pocket for other mods??

BTW- Thank You For Your Service!!

ozark
18th February 2010, 00:57
Good for you. Some might argue that 25 percent off is still too much to pay for what you can do yourself ... but we are not all alike so if you are going to have the dealer service it then sounds like a good deal.

I've seen a fair amount of arguing about oil coolers on here.

I installed one because on really hot days when stuck in stop and go traffic my Sporty starts to sound like a pop corn machine. :wonderlan Now it doesn't. I figure that having my engine few degrees cooler can't hurt. Pre ignition is a bad thing! I don't like holes in my pistons.

It doesn't seem to make any difference one way or the other when it's cold out but I have a vinyl / fake leather cover I use in the winter.

Ozark

Tin Man 2
18th February 2010, 02:58
VetteLover84, I could be wrong, But I thought the HD oil cooler had a built in thermostat that routed the oil around the cooler in cold weather. There is often a good reason that HD parts are more money.

ReddTigger
18th February 2010, 03:22

I have the 2 years of PSP. so my services were paid for. the 10K service is $400!!! not including the Synthetic oil and the sweet Skull Derby cover I got for $35(free install)

AMAZING at the prices that some dealerships charge for a 10K service..

For an example.. a 10K on a big twin (the most expensive) is $300.00 plus parts, (103.00 for synthetic, w/ plugs and air filter) for $403.00 complete.. Sporty is about $100 less for service and 40 less for parts.

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 04:11
VetteLover84, I could be wrong, But I thought the HD oil cooler had a built in thermostat that routed the oil around the cooler in cold weather. There is often a good reason that HD parts are more money.

I really have no idea. that would be nice if it did have an internal thermostat.. I will have to look into it.. I kinda doubt it. I definately could have installed the oil cooler myself but it was a pretty decent deal so I just went for it.. As for the 10k Maint. It was covered my my PSP.. so I don't have to pay anything..

I have run synthetic since the 1k maint.. I let it "break in" on regular oil. When my PSP runs up this summer I am going to run AMSOIL>> but for now it has the HD stuff, which has worked just fine so far.

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 04:13
How do you guys like the derby cover? I like it so far..... I have my original so I can always go back.. time will tell
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/chris_dean_2000/Harley/DSCN1412.jpg

CharlieB
18th February 2010, 04:43
The HD cooler is just a repackaged Jagg cooler. The dealer mantra has always been (down here in Fl at least) "If its cold enuf for you to wear a jacket, your oil cooler needs one too"

Having said that - my '94 1200 gets "just over" 200 riding 2 up on 95+ degree days. Most of the time, once fully up to temp, the oil is sitting at about 180-185ish in the tank. Had the Sporty out two days ago when it was 43 out. Oil still sat at 180 after about 15 miles of driving at highway speed.

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 04:47
The HD cooler is just a repackaged Jagg cooler. The dealer mantra has always been (down here in Fl at least) "If its cold enuf for you to wear a jacket, your oil cooler needs one too"

Having said that - my '94 1200 gets "just over" 200 riding 2 up on 95+ degree days. Most of the time, once fully up to temp, the oil is sitting at about 180-185ish in the tank. Had the Sporty out two days ago when it was 43 out. Oil still sat at 180 after about 15 miles of driving at highway speed.

Yeah it was like 44 degrees when I rode home. The new thermostat only got up to about 170-180ish.. Where do I get a cover? I gues I could get the bypass... hmmm

tonyhds
18th February 2010, 05:07
:frownthreAmazing .... the stuff I read on here these days.

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 05:09
:frownthreAmazing .... the stuff I read on here these days.

what????????????????????:geek Is this half a thought day?

tonyhds
18th February 2010, 05:32

Is this a clue ?

Is your motor running hot ?

Plus it looks cool.

Its your bike, you can sure do what you want.

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 05:39
I don't think it was running hot.. I just got the oil temp gauge. Maybe I just like the idea of the oil cooler.. really just like I said I like the way they look, I got a decent deal, and it can't hurt.

Could it hurt having it? I don't think so...:banadanc

Do you think otherwise Tonyhds? really.. I have only had my bike 2 years, its my first bike. So my knowledge base is limited...

barry jubber
18th February 2010, 06:06
I have about 101 RWHP on my Sporty and have fitted an oil cooler. I live in Cape Town South Africa so it is fairly warm all year. I have the most problem with the engine heating up at slow speeds and the oil cooler helps a lot at these times. I recommend it on hotted up engines.

83XLX
18th February 2010, 15:20
Hi Chris. Your bike is looking good. H-D used to sell a vinyl cover for "their" oil cooler (Lockhart at the time) that works pretty well. I don't know if Jagg makes one for their coolers, though. You can have a look at mine next time we ride (if spring ever gets here!) if you like. Here's a pic of it - it just slips over the cooler and there's a tab that wraps around the frame rail and velcros on the back.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/rotcorp52/P1000772.jpg

Do you have any idea why they installed your cooler at an angle? I've always seen them installed perpendicular to the bike. The probable reason that your front tire wore out faster is because there's a lot more weight on it with the clip-on bars tilting you forward.

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 19:27
Do you have any idea why they installed your cooler at an angle? I've always seen them installed perpendicular to the bike. The probable reason that your front tire wore out faster is because there's a lot more weight on it with the clip-on bars tilting you forward.

The front tire wearing out at 10k seems weird only because the rear tire is still at like 7/32nd!! not really worn down at all. the front is nearly bald! I think you are right, I lean way forward on the bike with the clip ons and I use the front brake a bit more than the rear maybe.

Either way my tire should be in today so MAYBE I will have time to go get it installed.

The Sporty feels really good though. I rode it home last night and rode into work this morning!! :tour I did notice this morning that the oil gauge oil got to like 150 degree this morning.

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 19:37
I did notice right off that the oil cooler was the at an angle...:doh I adjusted it at home.. its perpendicular now;)

linkin5
18th February 2010, 19:51
If you like your oil cooler, that is all that matters, it won't hurt anything.

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 19:57
If you like your oil cooler, that is all that matters, it won't hurt anything.

yeah I like it!!:banana

I just need to find a cover for it..

vettelover84
18th February 2010, 20:17
How much extra oil has to added to fill the oil cooler and still have the proper level in the reservior?

Spanner-Head
18th February 2010, 22:41
I don't think it was running hot.. I just got the oil temp gauge. Maybe I just like the idea of the oil cooler.. really just like I said I like the way they look, I got a decent deal, and it can't hurt.

Could it hurt having it? I don't think so...:banadanc

Do you think otherwise Tonyhds? really.. I have only had my bike 2 years, its my first bike. So my knowledge base is limited...

You know it can't do any harm, I ride in the city alot and air cooled bikes tend to cook in heavy start / stop traffic and my oil cooler helps in these conditions. Just take a look at Triumph Bonnies, Scrambler, America, they all have an oil cooler fitted as standard.

In terms of how much extra oil does the cooler use, you'll probably need an extra 200 / 300 ml to fill the cooler and the feed & return lines (not sure what that is in imperial).

vettelover84
19th February 2010, 02:26
interesting. I need to make sure its topped off. I did get my Metzler installed!!! Its awesome!

ozark
19th February 2010, 04:49
How much extra oil has to added to fill the oil cooler and still have the proper level in the reservior?

Not much, I estimate less than a pint to fill my cooler and lines. Not enough to worry about. Just check your oil, I doubt if the dealer added any extra to make up for the cooler.

Ozark

83XLX
20th February 2010, 06:06
There's an inexpensive vinyl cover for the Jagg oil cooler in the new J&P catalog I received the other day. It's on the same page as the coolers.

vettelover84
20th February 2010, 06:53
There's an inexpensive vinyl cover for the Jagg oil cooler in the new J&P catalog I received the other day. It's on the same page as the coolers.

like this one?
http://www.jpcycles.com/search/productdetail?sku=740-876&N=0&Ntt=oil+cooler+cover&Ntk=All&Ne=&fitment=1&brand=0&results=100

66impala
20th February 2010, 08:20
What my oil cooler has done in the last couple years is saved my crank sensor from going out on me. I went with a dyna cooler and mounted it horizontally, The hanging on the side of the frame wasnt for me.
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/Picture_149_Medium_.jpg

vettelover84
21st February 2010, 00:16
Thats a nice setup impala66!!! I have a otterbox in that location... I really kinda like the cooler on the side. It honestly looks good to me in both places! Do you have issues with it mounted so low behind the wheel? other than getting a bit dirty....:geek

66impala
21st February 2010, 16:13
No problems having it mounted low in the last two years, this similar to the touring bike mounting position. I do need to get a cover for the cooler for the winter months though.

Osco
21st February 2010, 19:14
Dude,, I did some investigating cause i want one,,I live in Florida,,here goes.No Need to cover In cold weather,,Dealer says there is a bypass that wont open till Oil hits 185 degree's.
Second thing,,,Synthetic Oil will not start to burn or breakdown till above 300 degree's.
Third thing,, the engine needs to run about 230 or so,,designed that way,,Synthetic oil will lower oil temps a bit,,Lots of guys with Oil temp guages saw an average 20 degree drop from 230-240 when they went to synthetics.
Fourth thing,,I talk to a Evil Kinevil,"Hillsbourogh county sherriff" on a harley, He said they never have used them on poilice bikes because If they had to run a guy down they wanted a nice warm engine. Also he said in all the years the deputies have used HD none has ever had a cooler as far as he knew. Fifth thing,,Talked to a old timer HD mechanic at HD,,he said If your not racing Its just eye candy....Just Info I got,,I'm no expert so the Oil cooler was moved way down my toy list for now...:smoke I'm Just sayin,,
Also check out a few of the Buel's the cooler Is mounted flat back with a cool air scoop to turn the air into the fins,,when and if I add a cooler Im gonna fit that on. That way when I need a Jacket I can stuff a piece of some kind of soft black rubber pad in the scoop.

vettelover84
22nd February 2010, 06:42
yeah, I am not to worried about it at this point.. I really like the oil cooler so I am happy. My bike has been running very strong since the maint was done so it definately didn't hurt! I appreciate you looking into it more though. You came up with what I did pretty much... Its not nessesary but its eye candy... :banadanc

The true test will be this summer and see how the Sporty performs!!:tour

XLdaveR
22nd February 2010, 08:17
One thing I've noticed after installing the cooler is it takes a lot longer to get the engine up to running temp.
Before leaving home I'll sit in the drive holding it at fast idle til the rocker covers are nice and warm. Cold engines wear fast !

Nice bike btw...

vettelover84
22nd February 2010, 17:43
when i get home i am going to get the cover. if the cooler has the thermostat in it the cover won't do much but it might keep it cleaner and help keep the oil at a good temp when it gets high enough

83XLX
22nd February 2010, 18:14
Jagg oil coolers do not have a built-in thermostat. There's an optional oil filter adapter for big twins that has a built-in thermostat, but I know of nothing like that available for the Sportster. For the Sportster, you have to go with the external thermostat that mounts in the in/out cooler oil lines. A cover is cleaner looking and a lot cheaper to boot.