PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EFI Homemade rider backrest?

bigjnsa
17th February 2010, 23:29
I'm curious if anybody has came up with a DIY backrest for the rider. Since I got my buckhorn bars, I really need a backrest! ;) And I simply will not pay Mustang $500 for a the same seat I have with a backrest, that's highway robbery!!

Anyways, I got some ideas I'm going to try to draw up and begin the experimentation process.

wilkin4
18th February 2010, 00:02
I am in the same boat. I have a Mustang Vintage solo and would like a back rest also, and I don't have $500 laying around. Be interesting to see what you come up with.

bigjnsa
18th February 2010, 00:08
I can make the backrest, but my problem is where to mount the support bracket. Our seats only have 1 screw so even if I braced it off that, it would wiggle. Then there's the shock tower bolts, but I don't think that will look right.

I'm thinking of a bracket that mounts to the underneath of the seat (or over the ECM) and uses the rear mounting screw just to hold it in place (and more support).

wilkin4
18th February 2010, 00:21
My Sport is older and not quite the same as yours.

But this site looks like what we need but not sure what their prices are, may give you some ideas.

http://www.protac.net/index.html

ldzeppelin
18th February 2010, 01:02
I was just going to suggest those. Remember seeing them on ebay a few years ago.

TonyC
18th February 2010, 01:08
There is a older thread on here about a few people who made rider backrests. I'll see if I can dig it it.

bigjnsa
18th February 2010, 01:09
There is a older thread on here about a few people who made rider backrests. I'll see if I can dig it it.

I remember reading those, however the search has never worked for me since it searches posts and not thread titles.

bigjnsa
18th February 2010, 01:12
My Sport is older and not quite the same as yours.

But this site looks like what we need but not sure what their prices are, may give you some ideas.

http://www.protac.net/index.html

I've seen those too, but they aren't available for 04+ Sportsters.

Baphomet
18th February 2010, 01:22
I've never given this idea any thought, but I noticed when I put on my Mustang solo that if I were to put my sissy bar brackets on backward it would put the sissy bar right at my back ... only at an impossible angle. The point being, it might be possible to fab up something from some ridged sissy bar mounts.

Hey just a thought ...

semjpm
18th February 2010, 01:25
On this page they list 04 to Present:

http://www.protac.net/page7/page1/models.html

SEMJPM

bigjnsa
18th February 2010, 01:26
I remember somebody a few months ago did this, but mounted to the rear shock towers (at least if my memory serves correct). I'm going to keep experimenting ;)

emzdogz
18th February 2010, 01:31
I've never given this idea any thought, but I noticed when I put on my Mustang solo that if I were to put my sissy bar brackets on backward it would put the sissy bar right at my back ... only at an impossible angle. The point being, it might be possible to fab up something from some ridged sissy bar mounts.

Hey just a thought ...

I was thinking that too!
:)

TonyC
18th February 2010, 01:46
I remember somebody a few months ago did this, but mounted to the rear shock towers (at least if my memory serves correct)...

That was the one...I just cant seem to find the damn thread!

TonyC
18th February 2010, 01:58
I knew I saw one...I actually save the link awhile back: Backrest Thread (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=444705) Hope this helps!

darth
18th February 2010, 02:06
The Protac backrests are available for the 04 and up Sportsters... I just called them last week about it. If you give them a call, they will explain how it mounts and answer any questions you have. I was going to buy one, but ended up getting the Mustang seat with the backrest. I was in the same situation, I had a Vintage solo but needed the backrest. The Protac looks like a good compromise. The only downside I can see is that if you are riding with a passenger, it will be a problem because their legs will hit the backrest support bars.

I bought my Mustang thru Powersports2go on Ebay. The price for the solo was $382 with free shipping.

wilkin4
18th February 2010, 02:18
What was the price of the Protac, the web site has no pricing info?????

Weo
18th February 2010, 03:27
I called the guy at Protac a long time ago. He makes them from scratch per order. I can't remember the price, but I think it was pretty reasonable... but not cheap either.

If you want to give it a go, I think Protac, as well as some DIY versions put the bar mounts off of the rear shock mounts.

rottenralph
18th February 2010, 03:37
I would love to see the rear tab on the underside of the seat to see what you are working with. It seems like it would not be that difficult with the seats I have.

bigjnsa
18th February 2010, 03:42
The bottom of my Mustang seat is metal so I'm thinking here, to bolt a cross piece to the underside of the seat for the support bracket. My own weight will "push" down to hold it in place.

mozart577
18th February 2010, 05:10
For a long while I've considered buying one of these and modifying it to fit behind my solo. It's a Kuryakyn Plug 'n' Play. It's designed for the passenger and bolts on under a two-up seat, but it seems like a few new holes to align it under the driver seat might work. Has anyone tried this idea before? Or perhaps making one from scratch using the same concept?

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/plugnplay.jpg