PDA

View Full Version : Couple of ?'s

Blacktooth Grin
23rd July 2007, 19:51
I've got a couple of questions after visiting a local indy to have my rear tire patched.

Wtf happened to my rear brake lever? It now sits in a much lower position and I have to push it so far that it goes past horizontal while braking. I was thinking about looking for a way to adjust it anyway, because I thought it stuck up too far before, but it's too low.

The mechanic also told me as I was about to ride away that he flipped the rear axle around so either the muffler or the shocks don't have to be taken loose next the axle needs to be removed. Is this a good idea? Seems to me that they would be assembled that way initially if it was, but on the other hand, I can't really see a problem with it. Other than the guy doing it without asking me, that is.

Looking back I should have taken the money that I paid for his labor, bought a motorcycle jack and done the work myself, only taking the tire and wheel into the shop.

Deicer18
23rd July 2007, 20:02
As far as the brake lever goes, when he took the caliper off the rotor to pull the tire the piston retracted. Usually just pumping them up will get them back to where they were. I have noticed that if you pump too quickly they tend to not "pump". Do it slowly and with a brief pause between pumps.

As far as turning the axle goes.......that's a new one on me. I honestly don't know if that's a good idea or not.

t.c. Johnson
23rd July 2007, 20:15
Turning the axle should be fine. They go in either way.
He did you a favor as it's actually a popular mod. Hopefully he also put some grease on the axle too.
The brakes may come back with time and/or pumping. There is no meaningful adjustment on the 2004+ rear brakes.

Blacktooth Grin
24th July 2007, 00:03
Pumped the brake pedal for a few minutes and they are coming back. Actually right now the pedal is right where I wanted it. Kinda hope it stays there.

SpartanDen
24th July 2007, 00:24
axle does not matter.... it should have a cotter pin or some type of clip to hold the nut on if it backs off. actually that is a pretty good idea...wish I'd done it when I changed my tire.
Get a manual and look to see how to adjust your rear brake. You should be able to loosen the jam nut at the master cylinder where the brake rod goes in and turn the adjuster a couple of turns in required direction. Make the rod longer and the brake pedal should be higher...shorter and the brake pedal will be lower.
Pretty simple actually!!!

Folkie
24th July 2007, 01:02
You should be able to loosen the jam nut at the master cylinder where the brake rod goes in and turn the adjuster a couple of turns in required direction. Make the rod longer and the brake pedal should be higher...shorter and the brake pedal will be lower.
Pretty simple actually!!!Not on '04+s Denny; t.c. Johnson had it right:There is no meaningful adjustment on the 2004+ rear brakes.