PDA

View Full Version : Best SoCal dealer?

tiltrite
25th July 2007, 05:18
Sorry if this has been gone over before but my searching just left me as dumb as I was when I started.

After much lurking, thinking, sitting on bikes, and more thinking, I've decided that I'm going for the 1200R; now I need to know where to go to buy it.

I'm in Burbank, but I'm willing to travel a bit for the best deal/dealer. Cust svc. Support/ help with upgrades etc... all come in to play. Sure price is important, but not necessarily the most important. If such a thing exists, I'd like to find a dealer that won't bone me if there's a problem. Don't know anything about any of 'em so I need your help. Glendale is closest (so I'm hoping they're good); Bartels is huge and famous but any good? etc... Thank you.

el jinete fantasma
25th July 2007, 05:58
I went to five different dealers to feel them out. I ended up buying my bike at Van Nuys HD. Small, bare-bones dealer, but I felt good about the transaction. Initially, I had a deposit at Barger, but it was going to be $1000 more expensive and I wasn't going to get my bike for months.
I just met someone who bought his first bike at Van Nuys and the next two at Glendale HD. I asked him why and he said that he liked their service better.

Recently, I was pricing my 1000-mile service. Glendale and Bartels were the cheapest.

khaskins
25th July 2007, 06:11
Glendale HD. They are great. Salespersons are knowledgable and friendly. Parts guys are helpful. The service department is first class. I'd buy another Harley from them in a heartbeat. It's been a year and a half since I bought my sporty from Glendale and the salesman and sales manager remember my name. They always have the parts that I need in stock and the parts and service are open on Sundays.

Alot of members comment on how dealers suck. Well Glendale Harley does not suck!

Karl

Taildraggerdave
25th July 2007, 13:18
Glendale HD for me as well....

tiltrite
25th July 2007, 18:14
Glendale HD for me as well....

Now that is avatar-alicious.... Avatalicious...... Avatushcious? Nah.....wait:

Avalicious!

I'm Glad to see all this positive feedback regarding Glute... I mean... Glendale HD.

BTW: how does it work with the dealers regarding their inventories? Say your local dealer doesn't have a particular color 1200R in stock butt another dealer 100 or 1000 miles away does- Are they generally willing to have it shipped from the farther dealer to the closer one?

Also, are you able to have warranty work done at any HD dealer or only the one that you bought it from?

khaskins
25th July 2007, 18:33
Most dealers will help you find a bike but might not be able to get the bike from another dealer. Most will special order.

The warranty is good at any dealer.

Johnny Wolf
25th July 2007, 18:37
I have to agree about Glendale for the purchase, but AV (Palmdale) service is second to none. My Pops lives closer to VanNuys/Glendale, but will drive further to AV for their service.

el jinete fantasma
25th July 2007, 18:50
Also keep in mind that Van Nuys HD is moving to Castaic next year. Not sure how that's gonna change the way they operate. Also, they'll have a H.O.G. chapter when they move, not that that means anything.

Johnny Wolf
25th July 2007, 18:59
Also keep in mind that Van Nuys HD is moving to Castaic next year. Not sure how that's gonna change the way they operate. Also, they'll have a H.O.G. chapter when they move, not that that means anything.

Said it before, and I'll say it again.....I'll believe it when I see it. The move date/sign has been changed several times in the past couple years.

JohnC88
25th July 2007, 20:33
Said it before, and I'll say it again.....I'll believe it when I see it. The move date/sign has been changed several times in the past couple years.

Is it actually a move or are they opening another dealership with the same owner as Van Nuys?

el jinete fantasma
25th July 2007, 20:39
Is it actually a move or are they opening another dealership with the same owner as Van Nuys?
Yeah, they're actually moving. I think the original date was supposed to be in December, but when I was buying my bike they swore it would be no later than next May.