PDA

View Full Version : Walmart and Rain Gear?

MrFish
25th July 2007, 19:00
Damn 7 day forecast screwed me and now it is going to rain the whole way home (300 miles). Does walmart sell rain gear for the legs? My leather jacket is perfectly waterproof but my jeans are not.

EDIT: Also, any suggestions on keeping my visor from killing me?

pirate50
25th July 2007, 19:02
Keep your legs away from the hot pipes.......and toss that visor!

Pirate

Johnny Wolf
25th July 2007, 19:07
Keep your legs away from the hot pipes.......and toss that visor!

Pirate

Just curious, what does "keep your legs away from the hot pipes" have to do with "rain gear" and legs getting wet?

pirate50
25th July 2007, 19:08
Just curious, what does "keep your legs away from the hot pipes" have to do with "rain gear" and legs getting wet?

I'm guessing that you never melted a set of plastic WalMart raingear on your pipes???

Pirate

MrFish
25th July 2007, 19:10
I'm guessing that you never melted a set of plastic WalMart raingear on your pipes???

Pirate

Haha, I heard the stories. I was thinking of tying it down to my legs.

Scooter_Trash
25th July 2007, 19:10
All I can think of is that he means while wearing rain gear, keep your legs away from the pipes or the nylon (or whatever material you are wearing) will melt. :dunno/

Scooter_Trash
25th July 2007, 19:11
Damn, I must type too slow.

wabiker
25th July 2007, 19:13
Damn 7 day forecast screwed me and now it is going to rain the whole way home (300 miles). Does walmart sell rain gear for the legs? My leather jacket is perfectly waterproof but my jeans are not.

EDIT: Also, any suggestions on keeping my visor from killing me?
Visor or faceshield???
Same people that make RainX makes No-Fog.... Ive used both.

Johnny Wolf

Pirate

OIC....nope.

You know the song...." It never rains in southern.....California".

:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

Other
Yes. I got stuck up in Maine once looking at a 6 hour ride home in pretty heavy rain without raingear. Wal-mart was the only store anywhere nearby (it was 30 miles away to give you an idea) I had a chance of finding something at and I got a couple of pretty decent rain suits there.

They are in the sporting goods section with like the camping/fishing gear, etc. not with the other clothes/jackets/etc.

As pirate mentioned, they are just PVC ro vinyl (the PVC is a little better as it's stretchy) and don't have any heat protection like raingear design for riding would, so watch your legs around the pipes. They also don't have the straps, etc. to keep them from flapping, but as an alternative to 300 miles in drenched jeans, etc. I'd wear one it a heartbeat.

Also be very conscious of your feet. If your boots aren't waterproof, buy something to cover them or something to waterproof them with. Boots basically get wet from all directions (rain coming down, rain from the front your are riding into, and spray coming up from wet roads) and can get saturated fast. Water logged boots suck.

If you don't have a shield and have the opportunity to buy one before the ride, do it. It makes a big difference taking the sting out of the rain.

And just keep singing to yourself "Rubber Duckie, you're the one..." It makes the whole looking like a dork thing go way easier...

pirate50
25th July 2007, 19:19
OIC....nope.

You know the song...." It never rains in southern.....California".

:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

Yeah, I don't own rain gear either (living in SoCal too) but I've heard the stories....

Pirate

Johnny Wolf
25th July 2007, 19:29
Yeah, I don't own rain gear either (living in SoCal too) but I've heard the stories....

Pirate

I suppose if I ever had rain gear I would keep a roll of tape or an extra bungee with me to keep it away.:geek

Gone
25th July 2007, 20:33
WalMart- Rain Suite .. Yes, good ones for about 48 bucks.
Helmets ..... the ones I saw at a local WalMart were full
face and the hafl helmet kinds, don't recall the prices

I'm a 3/4 helmet kinda guy with the 5 snap compshield.

MrFish
26th July 2007, 03:52
I got the rain paints, got twine to tie them down to my legs. They were very form fitting, felt like static cling really. Not a drop on the way home! It was weird!

AZbiker
26th July 2007, 04:09
I got the rain paints, got twine to tie them down to my legs. They were very form fitting, felt like static cling really. Not a drop on the way home! It was weird!

That's why I have a waterproof 3/4 jacket, rain pants, waterproof gloves, and sorta waterproof boots (can't afford Stich Combat Tourers yet).

The only time I quit riding is when the standing water is so deep I'm facing hydroplane issues. Otherwise, I ride. I think it's more fun to ride than not to ride. :)

Other
26th July 2007, 04:20
and it rains often in AZ? ;)

wabiker
26th July 2007, 04:25
no..not often... Just all at once when it does..! we get a years supply of rain fall in the 3 weeks or lessof monsoon season. :smoke

AZbiker
26th July 2007, 04:56

I ride regardless. I don't turn around when I see clouds, and I only take the cage to work when the bike is broken.

I've been in the beginning stages of hypothermia from having to ride to work in the rain, then ride from work to school in the rain, then finishing it up with a ride home in the rain, all without benefit of proper gear. :censor

Arizona has a lot of elevation changes, and a cold, wet rain up in Payson, Flag or Prescott is nothing to mess with. 40 degrees and rainy is forty degrees and rainy no matter how you slice it.