PDA

View Full Version : Because sometimes you need to stop...in a hurry

dejomo
28th July 2007, 03:52
making your horse go is pretty important, getting it to WHOAOAAOO is considerably more important here in the Valley of the Sun.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/frontbrake.jpg

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/rearbrake.jpg

rottenralph
28th July 2007, 04:26
What is your point?

dejomo
28th July 2007, 04:42
I figured better brakes is a good life insurance policy...

I know too much about physics to think if me and a car, truck, van, or bus make contact when I'm out there on the US60 or 101...that me on 2 wheels hasn't to good of a chance in making it out of it in one, or even two pieces.

So...I gets me some better brakes.

dejomo
28th July 2007, 04:42
Point taken?

Gone
28th July 2007, 04:57
Got your point on the better brakes.. BTW U.S. 60 runs through my little town of Wickliffe, Ky. I have been across your state a few times in a truck.

racerwill
28th July 2007, 05:13
yeah... I like brakes too..... otherwise ya just keep hittin' stuff

Ww

dejomo
28th July 2007, 05:14
Got your point on the better brakes.. BTW U.S. 60 runs through my little town of Wickliffe, Ky. I have been across your state a few times in a truck.

Then you know what the hell I'm talking about.

I couldn't imagine going through traffic here in a big truck durring the morning or evening commuting times...CRAZY

dejomo
28th July 2007, 05:14
yeah... I like brakes too..... otherwise ya just keep hittin' stuff

Ww

LOL....damn those things that keep getting in the way...LOL

Horse
28th July 2007, 05:53
What, driving by brail doesn't appeal to you? wimps :p

dejomo
28th July 2007, 05:56
What, driving by brail doesn't appeal to you? wimps :p

I was thinking of taking my brakes off and when ever I needed to stop just drag my feet or maybe stand on my seat and drag one foot on my back tire...just throwing it out there...:D

dejomo
28th July 2007, 05:57
hmmm.....imagine the weight you could save.

whittlebeast
28th July 2007, 13:45
What size master cylinder are you using with that 6 puck front caliper. Is this duel front disk?

AW

Quebeker
28th July 2007, 14:14
Here's a serious question:

Which is better, switch to a dual disc set-up but with stock HD calipers, or stay with a single disc but get a 6 pot?

sportysrock
28th July 2007, 15:07
You could run some of those or use some of these to stop

dejomo
28th July 2007, 22:32
I have a 4 piston single disc(stock 2000 up XL) front brake on it now...so I'm thinking there may be a bit more lever movement...but it should be fine.

rottenralph
28th July 2007, 22:37
The lever movement usually helps you tell if you have the right front master cylinder for the brake size. I have a 6 piston Jbrake up front and a 4 piston in the rear and that is why I asked the question. You showed pics. of the braks but did not state if they were mounted and whether they work great or not. My bike stops great. and I love my bigass breaks. http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Picture_143.jpg

dejomo
28th July 2007, 22:39
the front rotor and caliper are not mounted.

still has the stock single rotor, 4 piston on the front.

Clarinetcat
29th July 2007, 13:11
Here's a serious question:

Which is better, switch to a dual disc set-up but with stock HD calipers, or stay with a single disc but get a 6 pot?

:bump

I'm curious if anyone might give their opinions on this question as well?!?

whittlebeast
29th July 2007, 13:45
It all depends on a few things. Brakes need a few things,

Stiffness for good hand feel and lack of vibration/deflection under load.

Enough cooling or a lack of generating too much heat so that it is difficult to get cooled enough before the next application.

The master needs to match the caliper to get reasonable clamping force ballanced to leaver travel.

In a Sporty the 2004 and laters have a horrible sliding type caliper chosen by Harley as a cost cutting measure, When used in pairs up front like on the roadster thay are OK but a single one is a fright. They require a 11mm master
on a single disk set up and 1/2" master in pairs.

The BT 4 pot caliper is the next better step. Direct bolt on on the 2004 and later bikes but requires the 1/2" master to clamp a single on and a 9/16 master to operate two of them two.

I have not tried it yet but I hear the Brembos that come on the V-Rod are a doable option. Better than the BT 4 pucks.

Any single 6 puck set up most likely will need the 9/16 master. You may run out of disk cooling with a big caliper on a single disk. Have a digital temp sensor handy. Temps in the 270+ range is getting close to trouble. Disk or caliper.

note: the 9/16 Dyna master has a different banjo bolt and requires making a unique hose to make it work. You also have to goto the Dyna mirror mount set up to get things to work with the Sporty mirrors. I do not advise drilling out the Sporty stainless lines as it appears to be stainless ends and were a Bi+@h to drill out. The crush washers don't work well either.

If you still have stock single disk 2004- brakes...Use extreme caution, the front brakes a dangeroius and flat do not have enough stoping power.

AW

Phelan
1st August 2007, 15:19
Brakes are very nice. I'm going with dual PM 6 pots and floating rotors 'cuz I love the looks. calipers and rotor centers will be BLACK.

dejomo
1st August 2007, 17:46
Any single 6 puck set up most likely will need the 9/16 master. You may run out of disk cooling with a big caliper on a single disk. Have a digital temp sensor handy. Temps in the 270+ range is getting close to trouble. Disk or caliper.

note: the 9/16 Dyna master has a different banjo bolt and requires making a unique hose to make it work. You also have to goto the Dyna mirror mount set up to get things to work with the Sporty mirrors. I do not advise drilling out the Sporty stainless lines as it appears to be stainless ends and were a Bi+@h to drill out. The crush washers don't work well either.

AW

Well how the hell do I figure out what size of bore my front mastercylinder is?

I've got a 2000 that has 4 piston caliper on a single rotor up front. Are you saying that the rotors don't have enough surface area to disipate the heat?

Even if you jump to the 13" rotor and the 6 piston caliper you would still need a double rotor set-up up front?

dejomo
2nd August 2007, 17:28
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/frontbrake.jpg

Has anyone here seen "KRULL"

LDO
18th August 2007, 20:39
Ok,
so what (caliper) do you recommend for my 05 up front (single) to improve stopping but not crush the wallet? I replaced my stock rotors with new 11.5 non-floating rotors. I've heard the HHI units will work but I need to go with a 6 pot slim type for clearance issues on my 21 x 2.15 inch laced wheel.

dagsportster
18th August 2007, 20:45
If you still have stock single disk 2004- brakes...Use extreme caution, the front brakes a dangeroius and flat do not have enough stoping power.
AW

Great - one more thing to worry about when I ride :doh.

skratch
18th August 2007, 21:03

AW

i wouldn't worry about it, stopping is overrated :wonderlan

actually, while i'm sure there are better braking solutions out there, i don't think the whole chicken little thing is warranted. i dunno, maybe its just me, but i would think that if the brakes were 'dangerous', the gov would be all over hd.

whittlebeast
18th August 2007, 22:20
Well how the hell do I figure out what size of bore my front mastercylinder is?

I've got a 2000 that has 4 piston caliper on a single rotor up front. Are you saying that the rotors don't have enough surface area to disipate the heat?

Even if you jump to the 13" rotor and the 6 piston caliper you would still need a double rotor set-up up front?

Re MC size: The size is cast into the MC. You have to unbolt the MC to see it as it is cast in the area that is hid from view by the bars.

Re heat. Most any setup can deal with one or two hard stops. After that things start getting a little sketchy with one disk. If you have access to a digital lazer temp device, temps above 250 on the caliper or disk is an indication that the temps at the pad are getting a little high. At around 350 at the fluid you can run into real issues. This is all a big deal to the rice bike guys buy only a small percentage of the Harley croud will ever notice.

i wouldn't worry about it, stopping is overrated :wonderlan

actually, while i'm sure there are better braking solutions out there, i don't think the whole chicken little thing is warranted. i dunno, maybe its just me, but i would think that if the brakes were 'dangerous', the gov would be all over hd.

Just ride a Roadster and then a Custom back to back. Try a 100% full buggy brake test front caliper only.... then tell me it's no big deal.

Ok,
so what (caliper) do you recommend for my 05 up front (single) to improve stopping but not crush the wallet? I replaced my stock rotors with new 11.5 non-floating rotors. I've heard the HHI units will work but I need to go with a 6 pot slim type for clearance issues on my 21 x 2.15 inch laced wheel.

I run a Dyna setup in my bike with reasonable results. Both master and single 4 piston caliper are off a 2007.

see http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=51610&highlight=dyna

AW

skratch
20th August 2007, 14:53
Just ride a Roadster and then a Custom back to back. Try a 100% full buggy brake test front caliper only.... then tell me it's no big deal.

okay, so i haven't ridden a roadster, but i do own a custom. i do not find the brakes to be 'dangerous'. and why would i want to do a full on hard stop with the front brakes only anyway?