PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead XLCH horseshoe tank chain oiler routing question

joestuff
27th February 2010, 00:42
I have a XLCH horseshoe tank chain oiler routing question. I have all the parts, but I'm not sure how they go on. There are two brackets, one long and one short, to hold the hose, and the hose goes under the tank, I'm not sure where the brackets are supposed to go. Anybody got a picture of that. Or any idea?
Thanks
Joe

Magneto Sportster
27th February 2010, 02:00
Did you check with Murph from the classic american iron forum? He has a '62 CH and possibly has the chain oiler on it. Or maybe one of the bikes he is building for the other gentlemen has it.

joestuff
27th February 2010, 02:45
Did you check with Murph from the classic american iron forum? He has a '62 CH and possibly has the chain oiler on it. Or maybe one of the bikes he is building for the other gentlemen has it.

Yea, posted over there the other day. No response. Maybe they are all in sunny FL.

piniongear
27th February 2010, 06:49
Yea, posted over there the other day. No response. Maybe they are all in sunny FL.
There are a total of (5) pieces involved with the chain oiler.
#67,#17,#65,#70 and #71.
#70 and #71 are the short and the long brackets respectively.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/piniongear/Sportsters/ChainOilerforHorseshoeTank.jpg

The short bracket goes above the longer bracket and both brackets attach to the engine and/or frame to hold/locate the tubing open end above the rear chain.
pg

joestuff
27th February 2010, 17:26
pg, thanks. I have the same pict in my parts manual. It is not clear where they attach, to the oil tank bottom mount, rear motor mount bolts, I dunno. It is not stated in the picture. I'll try and piece it together today and see what happens.

simonster123
8th March 2010, 11:46
Hi Joestuff, how did you go with this?

joestuff
8th March 2010, 16:13
Got an answer from the owner of an orginal 64 CH.

The shorter upper bracket goes on the right rear motor mount bolt into the cases, pointed toward the sproket cover. The longer lower bracket goes on the middle engine mount stud, the ones on the back of the mount where the kicker goes thru. It holds the tube over the lower chain run.

Installed them this weekend, yea, the service manual is right, chain gunk will clog that hose up pretty quick.