PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead How Sweet It Is!! (All Andrews Tranny)

ericfreeman
2nd March 2010, 02:09
Finally got my '78 back together after rebuilding the tranny with all Andrews gears and shafts, new shift forks, bearings, etc. Needed the rebuild to eliminate a slipping 2nd gear problem due to worn fork and shifter cam. Also replaced the swingarm bearings while things were torn apart.

Oh my, how nice she shifts now! Exceptionally smooth shifting, no banging and clanging and no more popping out of 2nd. Each shift is butter-smooth with none of the lever kickback I used to get, especially going into 4th when really cranking on the throttle.

Definitely worth the $920 I paid for all the gears and shafts, plus another couple hundred for the bearings, forks and various shims I needed. Money well spent as I can now hit the highway knowing the tranny is in tip top shape. If you have a tranny problem, don't hesitate to tear it apart: this was my first and it was pretty easy with the factory manual and the Haynes for additional info.

Eric

SilverShark96
2nd March 2010, 02:12
Wow, that is a steep price. But hey, if you needed it, then you needed it. Sounds like quite an advancement for your Ironhead. Definitely some to keep in mind when needing something similar.

Transmissions, over anything else, scare me. The complication factor is definitely there. :)

ericfreeman
2nd March 2010, 02:36
Yeah, I know what you mean about the $. I probably could have reused the OEM gears and shafts since they weren't in bad shape, just some slight chipping on the gear dogs. But, I figured that while I was in there I'd go ahead and make things as perfect as possible. With the engine mods I'm running, the motor pulls exceptionally strong and I wanted to ensure there wouldn't be any problems down the line.

It was actually quite fun to have the assembled tranny on the bench and see how everything fitted together. Also nice to find the problem areas that were causing my 2nd gear troubles. It's not rocket science by any means but does require some patience and a good manual to see how things fit together.

Eric

biknut
2nd March 2010, 02:50
I agree. Worth every penny. Stock gears are trash in comparison.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/1136/medium/PIC-0022.jpg

Moon Wolf
2nd March 2010, 03:00
Did you keep the same ratios?

scottericsonon
2nd March 2010, 03:07
It was actually quite fun to have the assembled tranny on the bench and see how everything fitted together.

Eric

i had thought that was pretty cool myself when i had mine here on my desk.....

mine was the same way........if you remember correctly i fell into that all andrews trans on ebay but otherwise i would have done the same thing....as long as its apart you might as well do it RIGHT

anybody know anything about 727 automatics??

i picked up a 440 powered 1976 club cab W200 4X4 with no reverse recently.....

i can part it out for like 4 times what i have in it (at least) but its a pretty solid truck and VERY saveable.......

ericfreeman
2nd March 2010, 05:18
Did you keep the same ratios?

Yes, I kept the stock ratios. I'm quite happy with the 22/51 sprocket combo I now run and since I've never ridden a Sportster with different ratios I didn't want to experiment with my hard-earned $. Bike pulls like a mother for a non-stroker.

Eric

Gone
2nd March 2010, 15:34

mine was the same way........if you remember correctly i fell into that all andrews trans on ebay but otherwise i would have done the same thing....as long as its apart you might as well do it RIGHT

i can part it out for like 4 times what i have in it (at least) but its a pretty solid truck and VERY saveable.......

KEEP that truck, they are awesome. 727's will lose reverse if you beat the shit out of them, ask me how i know. lucky for you, its an easy fix, find a hotrod shop that specializes in Mopars, the 727 was a very popular trans. if your in the Detroit area, PM me. i know right where to take it.

Ivan RoachCoach
2nd March 2010, 17:00
...components is a solid investment in peace-of-mind.
You can tear that four-speed to hell and back (burn-outs, hole-shots, etc.) with COMPLETE confidence when you've got it rebuilt with the best parts in the business.

Good choice!

SilverShark96
2nd March 2010, 18:26
...components is a solid investment in peace-of-mind.
You can tear that four-speed to hell and back (burn-outs, hole-shots, etc.) with COMPLETE confidence when you've got it rebuilt with the best parts in the business.

Good choice!

Ah, burn-outs are unnecessary punishment to the bike. But hey, that's another topic. :)

pyrotek
2nd March 2010, 18:40

Theres a reverse servo in the 727 that has a bad habit of cocking sideways in the bore and breaking. It wont hold the presure needed to engage the band. you can drop the tranny pan to check with out much difficulty

boilermaker
2nd March 2010, 23:25
Theres a reverse servo in the 727 that has a bad habit of cocking sideways in the bore and breaking. It wont hold the presure needed to engage the band. you can drop the tranny pan to check with out much difficulty

Or the Plate that goes between the servo and the band has either fallen out or broke in half Pull the pan is easy and will tell you real quick if its just a minor thing or not

natez1
3rd March 2010, 03:31
Betcha that's the last tranny rebuild for that bike for a LOOOONG time!

ericfreeman
3rd March 2010, 04:57
Betcha that's the last tranny rebuild for that bike for a LOOOONG time!

It had damn well better be!! :D

Eric

arkyboy
3rd March 2010, 23:59
Eric, what did you find in there that caused your tranny to jump out of gear, shift forks? I have a problem in my '70 XLH of jumping out of second gear, but it will jump right back in on it's own. That is the only problem I'm having with it. I can't afford to go with all Andrews internals, but would like to fix this problem while I have my bike down for the winter. This bike is just a crusier for me, not looking for major upgrades at the moment. What should I look for when I tear the trans down?
arkyboy

ericfreeman
4th March 2010, 01:27
Eric, what did you find in there that caused your tranny to jump out of gear, shift forks? I have a problem in my '70 XLH of jumping out of second gear, but it will jump right back in on it's own. That is the only problem I'm having with it. I can't afford to go with all Andrews internals, but would like to fix this problem while I have my bike down for the winter. This bike is just a crusier for me, not looking for major upgrades at the moment. What should I look for when I tear the trans down?
arkyboy

You're having the exact same problem I had: jumping in and out of 2nd gear occasionally, probably every 5th time or so. I found a worn brass shifter fork and a worn tit on the shift cam that contacts the shifter fork when in 2nd gear. Between the two parts the countershaft 2nd gear was only engaging part way, hence the popping in and out of gear. After I replaced the forks with new steel jobs, the OEM gear engagement was pretty good. However, I removed the shifter cam and welded up the pointed part that was rounded off. Used some air tools and hand files to reshape the area back to the sharp point. Took some time to get the shape just right so the shift fork follower could pass through the slot without binding. Second gear now engages fully and there is very little play in the geartrain.

Only reason I went with all Andrews gears was some minor chipping on the engagement dogs and slots and the fact that I have a modified motor that pulls pretty good. If this problem had occured in my other Ironhead with a fairly stock motor, I'd have just done the shift forks, cam fix, new trapdoor bearing and made sure all the clearances were spot on. Cost probably would be under $100 doing it this way.

In this pic you can see the circular worn spot on the shift fork. It was probably a good .040" or so, way out of spec and allowing the countershaft gear to have lots of slop.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv336/ericfreeman55/L1000223.jpg

Eric

arkyboy
4th March 2010, 02:14
Thanks Eric. I'm hoping that's all I'll need to do to mine. It will jump out and right back into second if I shift normally. If I shift a little slower so that I can feel neutral, it won't do it. With any luck I just have some worn parts and won't have to replace any gears. Thanks again.
arkyboy

ericfreeman
4th March 2010, 03:47
No problem, hope your situation is the same as mine and the fix won't cost an arm and leg. Not sure why the fork wears like it does, perhaps the factory shimming was not accurate. I changed pretty much all the shims to get the gear clearances right in the middle of the specs and it seems very happy that way. Worth the time and effort since you have everything apart anyway.

Eric