PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Help!

PLEG1972
12th March 2010, 21:15
I feel I may have F@#KED up bad!

I relocated my ignition about 4 months ago. Yesterday while riding home from work my bike started acting like it was out of gas and about two blocks later died. As soon as I got off the bike I saw one of the wires leading to the coil (not a sparkplug wire) had rubbed on a piece of metal and must have shorted something out. I covered the wire with electrical tap and changed out a blown fuse and the bike started right up, but the check engine light and the security light (red key) stayed on. It rode fine for about 2 miles started missing again and when I got home it died and will not start now. Any idea what could have happened...how bad I messed it up? What HD will charge to fix it!?

Robotech
12th March 2010, 21:22
First, check and make sure the wire didn't rub through. If that wire was damaged riding it home may have finally killed it.

Bad coil may be the next issue. If the wire shorted out it could have damaged the coil. I don't know how likely this is since it should have tripped the fuse pretty quickly but you never know.

I'm not sure about Harley's ECM setup, but with cars if you have a problem like this that trips the Check Engine Light, the light may stay on for a certain number of starts. So for instance, once the initial problem occurs, the light will stay on for 20 starts and go out if it doesn't occure again. Otherwise, each recurrance will restart the 20 start countdown. Again, I don't know how the Harley programming works and this may not be the same for them.

schwede
12th March 2010, 21:50
Are you able to retrieve the codes?
If not Gunfighter13 posted a thread in this forum back in Oct. of 08 with good instructions of how to read the codes along with a complete list of the codes for the
07 and 08 XLs.
Can't imagine they have changed to much for the 09s.
Just search the forum. If you can't find the thread, let me know,and I'll try to get you a link to it, it is a long thread and no need to repeat it here if you can find it.

Schwede

schwede
12th March 2010, 21:59
I found the thread, but I can't insert the link,
so go to advance search, the thread is entitled
"2007-2008 EFI Codes" then key in gunfighter 13 and it will pull right up.

Easy to do, and it should give you an idea of what your facing.

Schwede

PLEG1972
12th March 2010, 22:36
I'll check the codes tonight. THNX

Ropbotech,

The wire rubbed through the first time. If didn't rub through the seconded time. Do you know how I can check to see if the coil is bad short of getting another onw?

d_eggman2
12th March 2010, 23:26
Here is the link

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?p=1502122

d_eggman2
12th March 2010, 23:29
And this one.........

http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=18260

Robotech
12th March 2010, 23:44
Well, first look up your codes using the threads that eggman posted. I'm going to guess that these will be among them:

P1002 System relay Coil High/Shorted EFI
P1352 Front Ignition Coil High/Shorted EFI
P1353 Front Cylinder No Combustion EFI
P1355 Rear Ignition Coil High/Shorted EFI
P1356 Rear Cylinder No Combustion EFI

You may have all, you may not, but I bet you'll have some of them.

As for testing the coil, there should be a section in your shop manual that will show you how to test the coil. You don't have to buy a new one but you will need to have a multimeter. If you don't have one now is the time to invest because if you're going to be doing your own work you'll need it more than just this once.

I wish I could help more but I don't have the information on the EFI bikes to give you. All I have is pre-03.

Also, for the wire...when I say rub through I don't mean the insulation...I mean the copper wire itself. It may have broke in half where the damage was and caused this problem. Be sure to check and see if it is still secured to the coil as well. It could be that when you were messing around taping it up that it came loose and now isn't making good contact with the coil terminal. Remember, go through the simple stuff first to rule them all out. Connections, fuses, etc.

Cosmo Kramer
13th March 2010, 02:05
As for testing the coil, there should be a section in your shop manual that will show you how to test the coil. You don't have to buy a new one but you will need to have a multimeter. If you don't have one now is the time to invest because if you're going to be doing your own work you'll need it more than just this once.

See Post #3 on how to retrieve the diagnostic codes and #11 for testing the coil:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=564683&highlight=coil

Also, for the wire...when I say rub through I don't mean the insulation...I mean the copper wire itself. It may have broke in half where the damage was and caused this problem. Be sure to check and see if it is still secured to the coil as well. It could be that when you were messing around taping it up that it came loose and now isn't making good contact with the coil terminal. Remember, go through the simple stuff first to rule them all out. Connections, fuses, etc.

+1 :iagree Very sound advice from Robotech.