PDA

View Full Version : exhaust for performance on 883 low

dls
14th March 2010, 20:32
Hi all,
I've got an 2010, 883 low, and want to put a set of slip ons on her. I'm not looking for anything that is obnoxiously loud, and would prefer that they wouldn't be, however do want the best performance I can get. I'm more into getting to speed as quick as possible,being the fastest in the long haul just isn't my thing. Have already pur HD's heavy breather on her, today actually. And I do plan on putting Thundermax's auto tuner, as long as I can scrounge the money:)
Would like to add stuff that would be compatible with a 1200 conversion, in case I do that someday.
Also I really don't know why, but would prefer to not use Screaming Eagle stuff. Just bothers me that they put thier logo all everything, and that I have to buy the stuff to begin with to have a little better performance.
Any help or sugestions guys and gals.
Be safe, and enjoy the trip, it's the only one God has given us here.
Thanks to all in advance.
dls

pipeyeti
14th March 2010, 20:52
I'm very pleased with my rush slipons with a 2" baffle. Loud but not obnoxious. They look great too.

RonSter
14th March 2010, 23:20
Ditto On the rush slip on... here are mine...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_om9AxqibFA

Tin Man 2
15th March 2010, 00:46
dls, Welcome to the Forum. The description of your wants fits the Screaming Eagle pipes to a T, With the Bonus that they are Legal in the U.S.... Also you may want to check here on the Forum for Muffler modifications, Many of us have simply modified our stock mufflers with good results. Take your time and you can save a few Bucks, Read up on everything here on the Forum.

Gone
15th March 2010, 16:48
Hi DLS - I have an 883 Low myself, and opted for the Khrome Werks slip-ons w/ a TMax. The combination has worked out good so far... not too loud, though I do get complaints from my next door neighbor when I leave for work at 7am. I like the D&D Exhaust Slip-Ons too. Just my .02

Fe883
18th March 2010, 04:32
Hi all,
I've got an 2010, 883 low, and want to put a set of slip ons on her. I'm not looking for anything that is obnoxiously loud, and would prefer that they wouldn't be, however do want the best performance I can get. I'm more into getting to speed as quick as possible,being the fastest in the long haul just isn't my thing. Have already pur HD's heavy breather on her, today actually. And I do plan on putting Thundermax's auto tuner, as long as I can scrounge the money:)
Would like to add stuff that would be compatible with a 1200 conversion, in case I do that someday.
Also I really don't know why, but would prefer to not use Screaming Eagle stuff. Just bothers me that they put thier logo all everything, and that I have to buy the stuff to begin with to have a little better performance.
Any help or sugestions guys and gals.
Be safe, and enjoy the trip, it's the only one God has given us here.
Thanks to all in advance.
dls

When you got the heavy breather installed, did the techs do the ECU reflash?

AsSeenOnTV
18th March 2010, 04:34
Ditto on what Tin Man 2 says. Modify your to make them sound as loud as you want to go. Save some money for now and play around with what you have, and get to know your bike!

dls
19th March 2010, 14:05
Installed the heavy breather myself, so no have not had it flashed. have ordered TMax auto-tuner. Also am looking at Python slip ons. A local shop recommened those or Screaming Eagles slip ons.
Have road the bike a little with the new breather, my hearing isn't what it used to be, but I would say you can hear the difference when the engine asks for air.
Took the advice and checked out other post on exhaust. Oh boy some of it is confusing. However as far as I could see, drag pipes are good for dragging, not my intentions. Two into one are the best performers all around street use. Slip ons with original headers would be next.
I would like to keep bike as close to original looking as possible, so am deffinately going with slip ons, tappered if at all possible.
Thanks to all for input, much appreciated:)
Be Safe

ReddTigger
19th March 2010, 14:11
That Thundermax will VOID your warranty completely.. Don't believe me ? contact your local dealership. It replaces the Factory ECM, will cause you all sorts of grief..

I work for a dealership and have seen this numerous times. If you ever bring it to a dealership for any type of warranty work and they find a Thundermax on the bike and contact HD tech services, your bike will forever be red flagged (not good)

I'd strongly recommend the Screamin Eagle Super Tuner with Auto Tune.. If that's the route you're looking to go.. because it's a HD product, it's supported by every dealership.. and I've actually gotten them covered by warranty.

linkin5
19th March 2010, 14:16
Modding your stock muffs will add some sound but not performance. Either SE or aftermarket slip-ons or even a full system would be what you are looking for.

dls
26th March 2010, 14:46
Hello Redd,
What kind of grief are you talking of. Warranty issues or doesn't the TMax work well on this bike? Am a little confused, as I thought you posted that you had sent a tech to learn the workings of the TMax and had said he was impressed with the product, please excuse if I'm mistaken.
Also, I would have no reason not to believe or trust any forum members post.
All ride safe and enjoy.

pat lehmann
26th March 2010, 15:10
Modding your stock muffs will add some sound but not performance. Either SE or aftermarket slip-ons or even a full system would be what you are looking for.

on my 09 883 punching a 1" hole through the stock mufflers picked up 4tq/4hp. considering it made 41tq/41hp stock thats about a 10% gain and was definetely noticable. changing the air cleaner yeilded another 3. and it would probably have made more since it made peak HP at the limiter and i didnt have a tuner on it to move the rev limiter up.

dls
9th April 2010, 14:54
Hello All,
Ended up getting Cycle Shack slip ons. As all said they are a little loud, but after jamming my square head into a 3/4, don't need any ear plugs and no ringing in the ears after riding. At least no more than ever. Nieghbors haven't complained and no cherry tops have pulled me over, so all is good.
Also had TMax auto installed. Bike idled a little rough first couple of times, but ran good and maybe even a little cooler. With no temp guage, just the hand on the cylinder method ( ouch ), only really guessing. Road about 150 miles around home then went for ride with son inlaw. Got abot 10 miles down the pike and the speedo lit up like a christmas tree. Engine, battery, and ignition light. Bike still ran fine, no poping, chugging or other mallodies, so didn't shut her down. Went back to my son inlaws and daughter's. Tore into it and cleaned up the ground from TMax to frame and all lights went out :)
Have since put about 200 miles on her and she's running good. have also set the auto tuned map to the base map a couple times. Don't if anybody is interested, but will try to keep informed.
All ride safe and be happy