PDA

View Full Version : Screamin Eagle Exhaust packing coming out

Rebel Jon
15th March 2010, 18:10
All,

I have the Screaming Eagle Street Performance 50 state pipes on my 07 1200C.

Last summer while in Laguna riding PCH my buddy pulls up next to me and asks me if I sucked up a blonde and if she was coming out my front pipe. I looked down and this is what I saw:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b234/JSchweter/exh2.jpg

I got back to Vegas and Las Vegas HD replaced the pipes under warranty.

Fast forward to this past Saturday. I rode my bike to work and see this coming out of the rear pipe:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b234/JSchweter/rear_muffler.jpg

Has anyone else had this problem with the packing coming out of the SE SP pipes? I really like the look and sound of the pipes, and don't really have the coin right now to buy a different set.

Thanks in advance for the input.

PaulDM
15th March 2010, 18:22
You could just Google for motorcycle fiberglass packing or some such, pull the baffle & repack it, or ignore it and it will cure itself, the packing normally burns out!

FoxsterUK
15th March 2010, 18:46
I have the same pipes and the packing lasted about a year. Check out "Acousta Fil" baffle packing. It expands with heat and doesn't blow out like a lot of packing.

steelworker
15th March 2010, 20:04
Last summer while in Laguna riding PCH my buddy pulls up next to me and asks me if I sucked up a blonde and if she was coming out my front pipe. I looked down and this is what I saw:

I got back to Vegas and Las Vegas HD replaced the pipes under warranty.

Has anyone else had this problem with the packing coming out of the SE SP pipes? I really like the look and sound of the pipes, and don't really have the coin right now to buy a different set.

Did they really replace the pipes because the wadding was blowing out? Or just re-pack them?

You shouldn't need to buy a new set of mufflers - just some exhaust wadding (glass pack). You'll be lucky to get much more than a year's riding between repacking silencers (with regular wadding), but the stuff that Foxster mentioned (:clap :clap) looks interesting...

http://www.culimeta-saveguard.com/acoustafil/

Rebel Jon
15th March 2010, 21:03
Ok, what's the negative effect of removing the packing all together? Louder and hotter? Anything bad to the bike?

steelworker
16th March 2010, 11:28
Louder, leaner, probably lose some power in the low- to mid-range. It's best to re-pack them occasionally. Wrap the new wadding as tight as you can, and tie it in place with a couple of thin wires twisted around it - this may make it stay in place a little longer.

Don Burton
16th March 2010, 23:18
You can also use fiberglass cloth for packing instead of fiberglass wool which easily blows out. It's available at boat supply stores, hardware stores and automotive stores.

flashedwards
17th March 2010, 00:32
Hey FoxsterUK..have you ever purchased the Acoustafil? Is it sold in stores? I looked at their website but couldn't figure out where it was distributed. The product looks like what I need because the packing is gone from my SESP mufflers also. They only lasted 10 months but during that time I was constantly pulling the baffles in and out and trying new things..trying to get the right sound and optimum power. If you have any ideas concerning Acoustafil, lemme know...
Thanks,
Flash

FoxsterUK
17th March 2010, 00:43
Hey FoxsterUK..have you ever purchased the Acoustafil? Is it sold in stores? I looked at their website but couldn't figure out where it was distributed. The product looks like what I need because the packing is gone from my SESP mufflers also. They only lasted 10 months but during that time I was constantly pulling the baffles in and out and trying new things..trying to get the right sound and optimum power. If you have any ideas concerning Acoustafil, lemme know...
Thanks,
FlashI bought some off eBay in the UK. Not sure where in the US to get it. I also can't tell you just how well it will last because its only been in a few weeks and I haven't had the mufflers off again to take a look inside. The sound is fine though.

K3vl4r
17th March 2010, 00:45
I'm telling you Jon, lets just pull the Barbie doll out and see what happens...you can always buy packing later :smoke