PDA

View Full Version : Electronic ignition?

dabronco
11th December 2004, 05:23
Anybody got any suggestions for electronic ignition conversions for Irons?
I'd like something that can use the stock coil, (at least for now), and doesn't cost an arm and a leg,three fingers and a toe! ( I'm a cheap A$$):help1

dabronco
14th December 2004, 03:55
Hello???? Is anyone there? It's so very cold....

IronMick
14th December 2004, 04:56
I too am waiting for an answer [some answers even!] to this post.

BobH
14th December 2004, 23:43
I've got a 1982 XLH that was converted sometime in the past to points. I'm gonna re-convert to electronic.
I was gonna go the single fire routine, but after researching and talking to people, I've decided it's not worth the expense. I've decided to go with a time-tested Mallory unit. I'll be spending a little bit for the Mallory unit, a new advance assembly (mine is sloppy), coil and plug wires, and should be able to do it all for less than $250.
As soon as Santa gets out of my wallet I'll let you know how it went.
I've only spoken to one person that thought he got some benefit from a single fire ignition vice the stock "wasted" spark dual system, and it was installed on a 1970-something XLCH kicker.

tnichols
23rd December 2004, 18:47
iF YOU GET SOMETHING, make sure you get electronic advance. If the system you get still uses the mechinacal advance, then you only have half a system.

A rev limiter is nice to have also. Adjustable?

Tach pickup?

It can get expensive...

I decided to stick with the old and simple points system.

good luck

tom

flathead45
23rd December 2004, 19:00
points for me , I'm a cheap a$$ too

a freind changed his shovel over to electronic but he didn't really trust it so he carryed the points and stuff in his bags just in case

BobH
25th December 2004, 14:45
Well, when you do the math, if you're gonna go the electronic advance route you might as well go to a single-fire system. The costs are pretty close.
I want a semi-simple system that doesn't require a separate module behind the left side cover. I'm staying with the mechanical advance because I can keep a points plate in my get-home tool bag.

dabronco
25th December 2004, 22:17
I would like to find a setup that uses the stock points cam as the hall trigger. Does such an animal exist?

XLCH/XLS
29th January 2009, 11:49
I Have 1 On My 75xlch ,im @ Work But Ill Check It This Weekend.try 2 Get Back To A Computer & Tell U What Kind

greennhogg
29th January 2009, 12:39
i checked into this a while back. was told by the local dealer that exell makes a complete unit to go from electric to points for around $50.now i could be wrong but i think the coils have a dirrerent rating as in the catalogs they ask specifically points or electronic,ride on

Ivan RoachCoach
29th January 2009, 21:10
...because a broken spring or worn-out cam is all that's ever going to go wrong with it.
And if you can repair those items on a points system, this is the same.

The downside is that it requires TWO specific Dyna coils to run it.
So there goes the El Cheapo option right out the window.

It's worth the money, though.
The single-fire runs smoother and cooler than the old wasted-spark system.

Hunt around for deals on eGay.

motolou
30th January 2009, 02:18
I would like to find a setup that uses the stock points cam as the hall trigger. Does such an animal exist?

hi, if you are interested in a set up that uses the mechanical advance, i sell electronic ignitions for yamaha xs650's on ebay, i will be making a kit for the ironhead if anyone is interested. i will prolly sell em for $50 or so. it would use the stock points plate and coil. the kit would include the pickup coil, reluctor, and the ignition module along with the instructions for set up. here is my link if anyone wants to see what i am talking about. thanks, Lou

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cool-xs650-electronic-ignition-system_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c66Q3 a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293 Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZit em160312674114QQitemZ160312674114QQptZMotorcyclesQ 5fPartsQ5fAccessories

tat2d2dope
30th January 2009, 03:36
search ebay i got 1 from vulcan for under $100
and i got a compufire for $120 the 1 from vulcan is single or dual fire.
compufire is single only.
both use mechanical advance.

66xlch
30th January 2009, 03:58
Dyna "s" dual fire is the only one i know for sure uses a stock 5 ohm coil. Most electronic ignitions use 3 ohm coils, at least the ones with electronic advance and rev limits. Dyna "s" were very popular back in the day, but I don't recommend them for a number of reasons. For one they still have mechanical advace, which is far from optimum, and will wear out and leave you stranded one day. Two, they do not have rev limiters. Three they can and do fail, especially when run with 3 ohm coils. I like crane HI4E or reg. HI4's. They fit in the cone, have adjustable curves, rev limiters, and have dragged my bikes around for like 100k miles or so on different bikes without failing, one of them for ten years! They come in single or dual fire, and require 3 ohm coils.

SHIPCHIEF
30th January 2009, 06:43
The great point about points:p is that they usually fail rather slowly.
This is the 'other side' argument about them being crappy.
You can set them up to run just fine. You will have to adjust and maintain them periodically. When they start to crap out you still have many miles to go before they quit.
When your electronic ignition goes T-U; your bike stops. There is nothing there for you to fix. It's all beyond the ability of a roadside repair.
Points are so simple, and so visually diagnosed.
Consider that you have been dealt the 'points' hand. Live with it. Learn how to take care of it and it will take care of you.
Now go for a ride :tour

papphammar
30th January 2009, 12:46
I would go for the Dyna s dual fire. Easy to install. You can use the stock coil, it is cheaper than the single fire system which need two coils. Bring the old point plate with you when you go on a longer ride and you are safe.

SHIPCHIEF
30th January 2009, 16:36
I have a DYNA S single fire.
I wonder if there is a dual points plate & points cam available for a back-up?
Maybe a Mallory or Accel?