PDA

View Full Version : Charging cell phone when camping?

Danny3nose
20th March 2010, 04:59
How would you charge your cell phone if you are camping and don't have access to electricity? Is there some kind of power inverter I can use with my bike battery?

racerwill
20th March 2010, 05:04
install a lighter socket and use a car charger...... it's easy......some people connect a 2 wire plug to the battery to connect a battery tender and use the same plug for the car charger, that way, when not in use, it can be stowed in the bag or tool roll

Ww

FoxsterUK
20th March 2010, 05:04
Have a look on eBay for a little gadget that takes normal AA cells and comes with a set of adapters to charge all makes of cell phone. They are real small and I carry one in my tool roll in case I get really stuck somewhere and phone's battery is low.

FoxsterUK
20th March 2010, 05:05
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INSTANT-EMERGENCY-CELL-PHONE-MAXI-CHARGER-JB-C02_W0QQitemZ380216952965QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Ac cessories?hash=item5886b24885

TripleDuck
20th March 2010, 05:06
I've got an emergency flashlight and radio that has a handcrank generator with cell phone connectors. Handcrank and charge - works like a champ! I got it at Sportsmans Guide.

biged
20th March 2010, 05:11
Radio shack sells a cigarette lighter socket with Battery clips clip it on and use your car charger

Wooley
20th March 2010, 05:16
You could attach a lighter socket in close proximity of your bikes battery, only takes one wire and it's always hot so put a switch on it to turn socket on and off. Your cell phone place should have the appropriate cord for your phone to plug into the socket so no need for any invertor.
I put one of these on my old pickup I use to have that had no socket. I could talk on my cell and save phones battery power.

TonyC
20th March 2010, 05:22
Do a search online for solar cell phone chargers. They are small, can fit in your jacket/pockets/bags whatever. Simple and cheap way to charge your phone, iPod, etc...

Loner
20th March 2010, 05:29
C Crane sells a wind radio with the capability to charge cell phones and it can run on AA batteries it also has a led flashlight and weather band very nice to have it might be a bit big to take along on a bike, but I make room for mine. nice to relax to the radio by the fire at night.
But these are all good suggestion, my scooter has a small compartment on it I'm going to put a cigarette socket inside to charge my phone.
Another option is that there is motorcycle tank bags with power cords built in to charge phones and other electronics.
The simplist and cheapest is put a socket on your bike.
oops a link would help
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/wind-up-emergency-radios/cc-observer-wind-up-emergency-radio.aspx

khaskins
20th March 2010, 06:02
I have a phone charger that uses 2 aa batteries to charge my phone in about an hour. I carry it an a couple spare aa batteries in my kit.

Weo
20th March 2010, 19:23
All good suggestions... however, if you get a solar charger, make sure you check the reviews first. The really small ones review badly.

I thought I'd mention, another thing to do is make sure you have a new cell phone battery every two years, as the talk/standby time will significantly go down after that. This will reduce the need to charge the phone while camping. If it's an old phone, Batteries Plus can usually find the version you need.

Brad
20th March 2010, 21:29
I have a cig lighter socket that plugs into my battery tender pigtail. Then I just use my car charger. It doesn't seem to drain the battery much ~ I've never had a problem. I think I got the socket from Aerostich.

(I usually do it with the bike parked and off)

toe
20th March 2010, 21:34
There are small inverters (just slightly larger the cigarette lighter plug) that will power the house-current charger..............

sporty01
20th March 2010, 21:46
i have a pre-pay phone with a charger wired into the bikes battery and hidden under the seat.its my redneck G.P.S. since i never use it for phone calls it only cost ten dollars a month. you could do that with a charger you use all the time if you wanted to its pretty simple.

cyric2000
3rd May 2010, 09:01
Turn Cell phone off at before cranking bike, throw pouch or bag= enjoy the ride and the great out doors. Turn on only in case of emergencies

pcwolf
5th May 2010, 02:31
Do a search online for solar cell phone chargers. They are small, can fit in your jacket/pockets/bags whatever. Simple and cheap way to charge your phone, iPod, etc...

Wal-Mart has a model that costs about twenty bucks and I got it two days after ordering online.

Nice.

-Phil
Yorktown

bigjnsa
5th May 2010, 02:32
I carry a 200watt invertor with me while camping to charge various thing. Plugs right into a cig port.

Brad
5th May 2010, 02:38
Why invert when you can directly jack off the battery to charge your cell? (Yea, I said jack off! :doh)

12v to 110v to 12v don't make sense to me.

ParrotHead
5th May 2010, 02:48
My boss got a pocket charger from Duracell (http://www.duracell.com/en-US/category/power-reserves.jspx) and it works great. He said it will quickly charge his BlackBerry. Advantage of something like this is you can use it for anything that takes a mini USB connector while hiking etc.

jakebuganski
5th May 2010, 03:15
I've got a couple of these: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CSM0/10722.oap?keyword=10722 coming in tomorrow. (discussed in this thread: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=785209)

i ordered a few extra because i needed to justify the $8 shipping to myself... if you're interested i'll ship you one at cost. let me know.

dino
5th May 2010, 03:16
if your going camping, leave the damn cell phone at home....

sportysrock
5th May 2010, 03:38
Cool enough?
http://www.gotwind.org/orange_power_pump.htm

ParrotHead
5th May 2010, 12:53
if your going camping, leave the damn cell phone at home....

While I agree with the sentiment (I have mine off while camping), they are rather useful when someone gets sick, falls and gets injured, or if there is a family emergency at home. They are also usefull in finding someone who is lost and does not have a strong enough signal to call out but can hit a tower provided they have the phone on.

merc
5th May 2010, 13:32
While I agree with the sentiment (I have mine off while camping), they are rather useful when someone gets sick, falls and gets injured, or if there is a family emergency at home. They are also usefull in finding someone who is lost and does not have a strong enough signal to call out but can hit a tower provided they have the phone on.

If you have you phone off, what good does it do if there is an emergency at home? You'll never know because no one can get you if your phone is off.

I also think that a lost person that is in a place, where he/she can't get a signal to call out, ther won't be able to receive calls either. ??????????I just don't understand this hitting a tower stuff????????????????

Terp84Alum
5th May 2010, 13:42
If I traveled frequently, I'd rig an outlet to plug into my battery tender pigtail.

Flame_Retardent
5th May 2010, 13:55
I saw a U-tube video where a guy took solar cells from those cheap outdoor lights and made a solar powered charger from scratch. Looked cool.

ParrotHead
5th May 2010, 14:12
If you have you phone off, what good does it do if there is an emergency at home? You'll never know because no one can get you if your phone is off.

I also think that a lost person that is in a place, where he/she can't get a signal to call out, ther won't be able to receive calls either. ??????????I just don't understand this hitting a tower stuff????????????????

Good questions. I have instructed my family to text me if they need to reach me. I will turn the phone on once in a while to check for texts.

A cell phone with a weak signal can intermittently be picked up by a cell tower. Ever notice when in a remote area that your signal strength will go from one bar to none, and if you try to call you cannot? In many cases the tower will pickup the phone but cannot get the call (or text) out. Searchers are starting to pull records from Cell companies for a particular phone to see what tower(s) a phone may be connecting with. They also get the propagation charts from the cell company and using those along with the towers a phone is connecting with can narrow down a search area. Typically a phone may connect to multiple towers where the signals overlap and this narrows down the area considerably. Obviously this only works if the phone is on, so this won't help me too much unless I have my phone on or if I have not moved far since I last had it on.

For those of you worried about big brother getting your cell phone data, this is not easy to get. I volunteer with Civil Air Patrol and we have the US Air Force Rescue Coordination Center along with law enforcement to assist us in getting this information. And we are only seeing the propagation charts and the tower(s) a particular phone is connected to, not any details on messages.

bigjnsa
5th May 2010, 14:32
Why invert when you can directly jack off the battery to charge your cell? (Yea, I said jack off! :doh)

12v to 110v to 12v don't make sense to me.

Its not just for the cell phone charger. I could power my 4 cup coffee maker or recharge my laptop batteries.

Flame_Retardent
5th May 2010, 14:36
Its not just for the cell phone charger. I could power my 4 cup coffee maker or recharge my laptop batteries.
a Sportster powered coffee maker and laptop. You don't always travel light, do you?:banadanc

XLFREAK
5th May 2010, 14:39
http://images.clipartof.com/small/22097-Clipart-Illustration-Of-Benjamin-Franklin-Holding-A-Red-Kite-With-A-Key-On-The-Ropes-While-Conducting-His-Electrical-Experiment.jpg

bigjnsa
5th May 2010, 14:41
a Sportster powered coffee maker and laptop. You don't always travel light, do you?:banadanc

I come prepared for anything! With the size of a campfire coffee jug, the 4 cup coffee maker is actually smaller. Plus it gives me a reason to wake everybody up in the morning ;)

Flame_Retardent
5th May 2010, 14:44
I come prepared for anything! With the size of a campfire coffee jug, the 4 cup coffee maker is actually smaller. Plus it gives me a reason to wake everybody up in the morning ;)
Put me down for one of those cups o' coffee end of June!

dgm
5th May 2010, 14:45
I know I'm way late on this, but if it helps anyone, I just put an aux outlet on my iron last week for the purpose of charging my iPhone when/if I ever need to use the GPS on it.

http://www.dgmphotography.net/forumpost/May2010/photo.jpg

http://www.dgmphotography.net/forumpost/May2010/iPhoneHarleyMount-5.jpg

Gone
25th May 2012, 13:40
I borrowed one of my junior marine's solar charger while we were at Mojave Viper. It worked perfect. The Mojave sun probably had something to do with it, for lower light conditions I have no idea.

Bob F
25th May 2012, 14:28
I plug in in my cig lighter:

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/XM_Done.JPG

MRMIKEY32
26th May 2012, 16:56
Milwaukee m12 usb charger

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

TX-Fatboy
11th June 2012, 04:37
If you just need power you can plug directly into the battery tender to get power with ignition on or off.

www.ZootFresh.com

Screw Loose Dan
11th June 2012, 06:02
TX-Fatboy - Kinda interesting that you only post about this product. And you post in a related thread that hasn't had any activity in 2 weeks, just to share this product, again. Glad you like it. Are you profiting from these postings?

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1450591

Why don't you head over to our Introduction Forum (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24) and tell us a bit about yourself and your Sportster. Surely there is something else about your Sportster besides a usb charger worth telling us about? :laugh

morvenhouse
11th June 2012, 11:27
I have a cig lighter socket that plugs into my battery tender pigtail. Then I just use my car charger. It doesn't seem to drain the battery much ~ I've never had a problem. I think I got the socket from Aerostich.

(I usually do it with the bike parked and off)

I had the same thought but do not like the standard cig lighter socket so used an auto duel USB charging adaptor. My tender socket was no where near waterproof enough for the UK so I modded that as well with the following AMP connector.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Genuine-AMP-Superseal-Waterproof-Wiring-Electrical-Multi-Connector-/130709090714?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e6ede719a#ht_667wt_1163

If you are looking to make any electrical connection on your bike, even replacing broken/old connectors I can highly recommend this AMP connector. Even used it on boats and never a problem.

Stays in my tool roll at all times, cable runs from tender socket under the seat to my left saddle bag. Phone and non-waterproof parts stay nice and dry even in the worst of British weather. Uses the standard USB charging lead and kept two phones topped up during a week tour of Scotland.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii563/morvenhouse/2012-06-11111015.jpg

TX-Fatboy
11th June 2012, 17:28
I also had built a homemade version (see photo), but this new unit is much smaller unit is below in the photo.

I went about a month ago to the valley (south Texas - Camp Wood and the Three Sisters Rally). It is way easier to carry. I thought the idea for a product is awesome. It's great.

I have been riding and fixing bikes since the early 70's. I used to live in a small town without a stealership. When you had a problem you relied on friends and family for their advice. I like these forums to help each other out - no matter how old the posts and advice.

My only profit in this thing is to help pay forward some of the help I used to get as far as I'm concerned.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t442/greatisp/photo.jpg

mytoyz
20th September 2012, 09:55
Old thread but just saw this. I picked up a charger called Mophie. You pre charge it then piggyback it to your phone. It will charge my extended battery on my phone twice before I need to recharge the piggy back. Great if you only need to charge occasionally on shorter trips. On longer trips I like the 12v outlet idea of the battery.

Mong deSade
20th September 2012, 16:54
http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

Excellent piece of kit for charging i-phone, netbook, GPS etc.

SRT10Crusher
20th September 2012, 18:35
Turn Cell phone off at before cranking bike, throw pouch or bag= enjoy the ride and the great out doors. Turn on only in case of emergencies

Amen, no need to be connected 24/7. Some how everyone survived quite well before cell phones came along.

HOWNDOG
14th August 2013, 02:35

They can leave a message. Not a whole lot you can do on the road anyways.

If you leave your phone on it will kill the batt quickly if you ride out of cell range as it will try and pick up a signal. With a dead phone you won't be getting ANY calls at all.

HD

Weo
17th August 2013, 09:23
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd update my "camping" power.

I did a review on Amazon of the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus kit. Recently I did some traveling which included "rustic" environments and lodgings. It was actually a business trip, and I needed to be connected as much as possible.

http://www.goalzero.com/images/products/nomad7guide10-h.jpg

I only needed to use the solar panel when visiting a small island that used generators for electricity, and turned them off 2/3 of the day. I recharged my phone and tablet directly off the solar panel, although they suggest using the battery pack as a bridge for steady current. I used the light on the battery pack for getting around the grounds at night.

It might require a sunny day and take a long time to charge, but it works... and is about the size of a 7" tablet with a case. If you really need more, they have larger versions of both.

Additionally, I wanted to try hanging this off my backpack while hiking but never did. I don't know how well it would charge that way unless your back was directly facing bright sun most of the time.

Lastly, some odds and ends... I replaced my phone's stock battery with a larger one. I also like keeping my GPS on while traveling for BOTH maps AND if I get in an accident, emergency services can locate me. I phoned in a couple reports to police for others throughout the years, and the police could tell what house, highway marker, etc. I was at while I was talking to them. It might also help if you are unconscious and a loved-one calls emergency services to find you... I thought a member here had that happen once.

Hexlobular
17th August 2013, 13:40
I use this when I travel. It will charge my phone about 5 times and is only about 3.5" x 3" and about 3/4" thick. Fits in a bag unnoticed.

http://www.newtrent.com/store/iphone-external-battery-iphone-portable-battery/newtrent-igeek-imp99d-portable-battery-pack-1.html

rider61
9th January 2014, 02:47
My phone is charging in my saddle bags in a secure pocket. My gps is on the bars. The sena 10 with bluetooth is connected to both. I get to ride for 5 hrs with out charging any thing. Time to camp. The phone is hot. I have 2 power ports . Charge the sena helmet coms. Ready for next day. I listen to xm radio. . mp3... the phone over rides the gps and mp3 or the xm radio. and any other rider with the sena I have connected.It was a pain to get it all set up some times but I don't do it unless I need to .The phone is in the bags. The gps is on the bars and the xm is rocking .The other crap is if I need it. Also I can charge the sena while riding which I do when I go all Day. My favorite!http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41b4NlFk6fL._AA160_.jpg

XLXR
9th January 2014, 03:36
I keep my cell phone in my jacket pocket. Easier to get to if, or should I say next time, I get thrown off the bike and can't crawl back to it. One time, the bike went over a cliff, and took a bunch of guys and a lot of rope to pull it out a few weeks later.

sprink
23rd January 2014, 12:57
My phone is charging in my saddle bags in a secure pocket. My gps is on the bars. The sena 10 with bluetooth is connected to both. I get to ride for 5 hrs with out charging any thing. Time to camp. The phone is hot. I have 2 power ports . Charge the sena helmet coms. Ready for next day. I listen to xm radio. . mp3... the phone over rides the gps and mp3 or the xm radio. and any other rider with the sena I have connected.It was a pain to get it all set up some times but I don't do it unless I need to .The phone is in the bags. The gps is on the bars and the xm is rocking .The other crap is if I need it. Also I can charge the sena while riding which I do when I go all Day. My favorite!http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41b4NlFk6fL._AA160_.jpg

I just picked one of these up over the Christmas holiday. Can't wait to try it on the road!

I keep my cell phone in my jacket pocket. Easier to get to if, or should I say next time, I get thrown off the bike and can't crawl back to it. One time, the bike went over a cliff, and took a bunch of guys and a lot of rope to pull it out a few weeks later.

I like the jacket pocket as well. I have even charged it there before.

rider61
30th January 2014, 08:57

If I lay the bike down and the phone is where I can't get to it or find it. I can just use the helmet .. Real handy if both arms are broke .or somthing like that.If I'm in a bad enough wreck my helmet is torn off I don't think the phone will really help.. Weather it is in my pocket or in the helmet..:burnout