PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EVO HD Sundowner or Mustang Regal Duke

Ashamsi
22nd March 2010, 14:37
I don't like the stock 2-up on my '04 883 XL. It seems uncomfortable to me. I have the seat choices narrowed down (by reading the comments and descriptions here and elesewhere) to Mustang Regal Duke 76144 and HD Sundowner 51509-04. Have never tried either one since I don't have access to either seat. Both are about the same size and price.

I am 5'6 and about 150 lbs. Mostly do day trips. Don't have anyone ride with me but like the 2-up seats. Any feedback on either seat based uopn your experiences that may help me decide would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Kay9Cop
22nd March 2010, 17:49
I can't offer much on the Sundowner, but I have a Mustang Vintage Solo on my '06. I love the Mustang, but it raised the seat height by about an inch. Just by looking at the pictures on the web site, I would expect this to be the same for the Regal Duke.

Rock
31st March 2010, 14:18
I have the Sundowner. The stock seat for my 1200 Custom was very uncomfortable for my passenger (wife) so I got the Sundowner mostly for her. First few rides it was not as comfortable for me as the stock seat but I got used to it. Not a bad choice.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/655/harley2nov09.jpg

jharback
31st March 2010, 15:12
The Mustang will definitely be much more comfortable.

PaulDM
31st March 2010, 15:25
At 150 lbs the break-in of the Mustang will last a while, but once you get it broken-in it really works well. I've got about 30K on mine and it only takes a little Pledge to make it look new and I discovered by accident that if I wanted to change the way it feels I had only to bend the front tab that keeps the seat in place DOWN about 3/4 of an inch and the Mustang Wide Vintage feels about like an old Bates seat which were the most comfortable single seats made. Its a good seat and usually highly praised...

After brake-in you will lose the initial 1" in higher seat position.

Personally I'd go looking for a used one to avoid the break-in :banana

jharback
31st March 2010, 15:54
Yeah, the brake-in period is rather long. When you first use it you think, "Damn, this is one of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat on." That is until its broke in. Then you think, "Damn, this is the most comfortable seat I've ever seen." :laugh

They take 1000-3000 miles to get broke in good.

PD37
1st April 2010, 20:00
ok wow. I guess I should have read a bit before posting my thread. Mustang solo seems to get good marks? any thoughts on the lepera silhouette for break in time?

jharback
1st April 2010, 20:29
ok wow. I guess I should have read a bit before posting my thread. Mustang solo seems to get good marks? any thoughts on the lepera silhouette for break in time?

No but, any silhouette is not going to be real comfortable.

ParrotHead
1st April 2010, 20:37
Check this thread out (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=587597)for my writeup of the Mustang Wide Vintage vs the Sundowner.