PDA

View Full Version : Need to drain fuel tank???

slick
22nd March 2010, 17:43
Need to remove my tank to extend wire harness for new apes. FSM says to drain tank before removing. I know you need to purge the pressure out of the fuel line (EFI system), but is draining the tank really necessary or just CYA by the Company??? Thanks

Bob F
22nd March 2010, 18:39
Don't drain the tank. BUT be careful. In a half full tank the fuel will move around and can pull the tank from your hands if you're not ready for it. Now that you know you'll be OK.

pastryslayer
22nd March 2010, 18:42
No need, but less fuel is easier to handle and lighter weight.

I try to time my tank removal maintenance with the end of a ride when it's near empty anyway.

Oh, and don't set it down on the petcock, obviously.

jharback
22nd March 2010, 18:55
Like the others say, it's not absolutely necessary but, it sure makes it easier to handle and there is much less possibility for damage. Remember four gallons of gas weighs almost thirty pounds and it moves.

Charles:
22nd March 2010, 18:57
Nah, just wait until you're low on gas to do you work. 3 gallons of gas is what...24 pounds sloshing around in that tank, so be careful.
Hell, I don't even purge the line, I just disconnect the damn thing. If you do it quick enough, only a few drops will escape.

Bob F
23rd March 2010, 01:10
I don't even purge the line, I just disconnect the damn thing. If you do it quick enough, only a few drops will escape.

Same way I do it.