PDA

View Full Version : s&s super e big problem help please

98cyclone
22nd March 2010, 23:45
i have a 98 sportster and just put a super e kit on it and i have a problem with the throttle response. i set it up just like the instructions said and im getting this bogging down when i crack the throttle wide open from idle and unless i let up it will die . and im running out of patients with this carb . first this is a pre 04 super e and does not have the adj air bleed. i tried a .265 intermediate jet with a .64 main the bike idled great rode good until i tried to gag it and putthhh i had to let up from it or it would have died going 55mph . then i went up in jets to a .295 and a 70 main and still idles great set screws and went to whack the throttle open and puttthh more bogging down tried turning out the acc pump and i got to 4.5 turns out and still the same it seems like its not getting enough gas it just boggs out so bad ive blew all the passages out with compressed air . and idunno whats going on with this thing my dad has the same kit on his sportster and his runs great no bogging down . does anyone out their think maybe the floats are off like i said idunno :smoke

jharback
22nd March 2010, 23:48
You sure your not choking it with too much gas?

72Iron
22nd March 2010, 23:48
Petcock. You need a high flow petcock to supply fuel to the carb, They are mighty thirsty.

jharback
22nd March 2010, 23:50
Petcock. You need a high flow petcock to supply fuel to the carb, They are mighty thirsty.

My '93 ran fine with a stock petcock before I switched the gas tanks.

98cyclone
22nd March 2010, 23:53
well thats what i was thinking too but ive tried the small jets and the bigger ones and no diffrence when i roll on the throttle its got a slight hickup but if for say i go to try to pull out and crack the throttle open it just feels like someone is blowing out the candle i mean no black smoke, no popping, no carb poping just putth but i can smell more gas burning with the bigger jets

98cyclone
22nd March 2010, 23:54
the float bowl is huge on the s&s and it took at least 3 min to run the bowl empty

98cyclone
22nd March 2010, 23:54
and im at sea level

98cyclone
22nd March 2010, 23:55
but when it gets past the bog it lifts the front tire straight up damn bog

FourCams
22nd March 2010, 23:58
but when it gets past the bog it lifts the front tire straight up damn bog

It sounds like you're going the wrong way on the accelerator pump adjustment. Lean out the accelerator pump.

jharback
23rd March 2010, 00:00
I've had my Super E for about three years now and really love it. I'd start back over from scratch on the setup. Here's a link that I have found useful.

http://www.bikernet.com/garage/PageViewer.asp?PageID=1081

98cyclone
23rd March 2010, 00:16
thats what i did i got the instruction book from s&s right here i put the idle enrichment screw out 1.5turns from seated the acc pump all the way in and the idle screw .75 turns from seated and the manual says to turn the acc pump .25 of a turn out blip the throttle keap turning out until hesation goes away but thats the thing it doesnt go away do you think my acc pump could be bad?

98cyclone
23rd March 2010, 00:17
i jetted it just as the book says to and then i went leaner and still no diffrence

98cyclone
23rd March 2010, 00:22
the carb kit has been sitting in a box from s&s for since04 i have taken it apart but not the acc pump can you see gas squirting in the carb like the cv when the engine is not running? i figured the acc pump would be squirting somthing but i see nothing .

FourCams
23rd March 2010, 00:29
You can check the accelerator pump by pulling the air cleaner and twisting the throttle. You should see a steady stream of fuel and it should spray towards the center of the manifold. If it doesn't spray towards the center you can gently adjust the nozzle.

This is the way I set mine up.
Before you start, check the intake seals and ignition timing and battery voltage and make sure you have a clean air filter..

Let the bike warm up and then turn the idle mixture screw clock-wise until it starts to hesitate. Then count the turns and turn the idle mixture screw counter-clockwise until it starts to hesitate. Split the difference.

Then start with your accelerator pump lean. It should pop or stumble when it's lean and you're riding and roll on the throttle. From there enrichen the accelerator pump 1/8 turn at a time until you get to the point where it bogs and then takes off, and then slightly lean it out from there (1/8 - 1/2 turn.) There will be a very small range between lean and rich.

If you have a VOES, make sure it's getting manifold vacuum.

I've had good luck with 28 66 jets

98cyclone
23rd March 2010, 00:34
well i tried going back to stock and seting it up from scratch about 4 times now and still nada. i have a voes switch plugged into the intake manifold via the port for it.

98cyclone
23rd March 2010, 00:38
well the jets thing i first started off with a .2465 i jet and a.64 main same prob then i went up to a.28 i jet and a.68 main same prob then i went up again to the recomended .295 i jet and .70 main still same prob i can not see any gas or hear any gas when i hit the throttle with the bike not running any one thingk its the acc pump not working

FourCams
23rd March 2010, 00:40
i figured the acc pump would be squirting somthing but i see nothing .

There's your problem. Either the accelerator pump piston isn't working or you have a blockage.

98cyclone
23rd March 2010, 00:48
well i figured it being brand new it would work but did i mention it has been sitting in the org box for 6 years before i used it

98cyclone
23rd March 2010, 00:49
where does the acc pump out the gas from? is it suppost to shoot down from the top or right behing the main jet passage

FourCams
23rd March 2010, 00:51
well i figured it being brand new it would work but did i mention it has been sitting in the org box for 6 years before i used it

The piston might have dried up.
The fuel should spray from the bottom center of the air horn of the carb. (It's a small nozzle that extends from the inside if the air horn bore.) I can't remember exactly where the passage is in the casting but it goes from the bottom of the accelerator pump resovoir to the nozzle in the air horn. Pull it apart and look at the piston seal. If it isn't cracked try putting some grease on it. While you have it apart use the nozzle on a can of gumout carb cleaner and spray it through the accelerator pump nozzle.

98cyclone
23rd March 2010, 02:28
gggeggity well one of the check balls that has the spring on it well the ball was seized unto the acc pump cover not letting the pump squirt through the rod with the slit on it well un jammed it and now it squirts like my girlfriend (hell yea)
and the bog is gone now
i probely need to re play around with the jets and such to get the optimum power and af ratio and the front tire comes up hard in 1st now thanks to all for your input and suggestions thats what these forums are for thanks again

rottenralph
23rd March 2010, 02:37
28/66 or 28/68 is a good starting point. S&S carbs are simple and once you get close you will love it. Biknut has spent alot of time messing with his and seems to have covered off on the scientific parts including how to add the Zippers Thunderjet thread. Sounds like you found the cause. Only time I ever had a problem was witha bad setting on the acc. pump.