PDA

View Full Version : Open Heart Surgery, Mick's Iron

IronMick
13th December 2004, 03:52
NOTE: it is Mick's Iron, not IronMick.

I have been getting a big oil mess on my back wheel. Obviously being deposited from the chain. The chain does not have enough oil on it naturally to cause such a mess so i am supposing that there is an oil leak behind the gearcase cover that is getting onto the chain.

I removed the sprocket cover and the gearcase cover. This is the first time i have been in this part of the bike. Attached is a pic of the oil pump. Looks to me like a leaky oil pump gasket. Wha da ya think?

skooter
13th December 2004, 04:32
Hmm or the output shaft seal is gone. How does it look around the output shaft or is the whole area covered in oil? Clean it all off and start the bike maybe you can see where it is leaking. If it is from the pump than you should be able to see it. The output shaft won't leak until tha bike is running. Has either oil level gon down enough to notice where it could be coming from?

flathead45
13th December 2004, 04:33
just by looking at the pic it looks to me like the oil pump is loose
did you check to see if its tight ?

skooter
13th December 2004, 04:34
Hey flathead here's one for you!

skooter
13th December 2004, 04:34
Oh! I see you're already on top of it.

IronMick
13th December 2004, 05:33
Not practical to start the bike now. No oil, no oil filter, no trans fluid, gearcase cover off, no battery, fuel tank off. Hey, it's winter project time!

The oil pump is not loose. The area is messier than the pic shows. The flash from the camera obliterated some of the detail. I presume the large hose across the bottom of the pic is the output. Could be the output shaft seal, assuming that is in the top right corner of the pic.

I'll have a local inde come by for a look. Thanx.

BobH
15th December 2004, 13:02
Isn't that the return line to the tank? You may not have the big problem that you think you have. Could just be a leak at that return fitting.

IronMick
15th December 2004, 17:48
Isn't that the return line to the tank? You may not have the big problem that you think you have. Could just be a leak at that return fitting.

I think you may be right. In examining the pump etc i see a big mess, but no place where it could be coming from. The gasket and o-ring look good. When i re-install i will take extra care of the connections. The last installer really tightened the clamps - overtight i think. Kinda destroyed the end of the hoses.

I hate it when people do that. "Gee, we better maker sure this is tight enough." They work out of fear that something will go wrong, rather than knowledge of how things should really be.

Usually i trim 1/4" or so off the hose so the clip has a new place to bite. There is not much extra on these hoses so i may replace them.