PDA

View Full Version : Oil Spill and lack of technology............

silver1
3rd May 2010, 15:25
I know nothing of this industry but am confident one of the resident members here may be qualified to answer a simple question that I have...........

How difficult is it to engineer a submersable capable of sawing a ruptured pipe and putting a cap on it?...... Have we no safety requirement measures in affect that require something capable of fixing a simple busted pipe?
:doh

(contrary to some mod's belief I am NOT a Know it all or I wouldn't ask this)

bigjnsa
3rd May 2010, 15:29
How do you cap something when you can not turn off the spigot? With as much pressure as the oil is coming out, I don't know how they can put a cap on it.

jgc2521
3rd May 2010, 15:35
im kinda like you, but was thinking why couldnt they make a sub that could hydraulically pinch the pipe closed. seams very feasible but i could be wrong again.

BTW the auto blowout preventer is supposed to do this same thing, this would just be a sub version

Quebeker
3rd May 2010, 15:36
how deep is it at?

silver1
3rd May 2010, 15:37
They cap run away oil rigs ON FIRE shooting flames hundreds of feet in the air all the time around the world.

silver1
3rd May 2010, 15:38
Think I heard 1000 feet down, not sure. Too far for scuba.

linkin5
3rd May 2010, 15:44
The oil industry is about profits only, they don't have a plan B, this is something we will be paying for for years to come in the form of increased gaprices at the pump, beacuse somebody has to pay for this mess and it won't be BP.

silver1
3rd May 2010, 15:57
Lets hope at the least they will be required to have technology in place to handle it in the future.

emzdogz
3rd May 2010, 16:16
Lets hope at the least they will be required to have technology in place to handle it in the future.

like they should have had in the first place. Other countries that use these rigs have secondary emergency shut-offs. A back up for the back up. But not BP, nope. They indicated they didn't need it and were allowed to go without it - to avoid added expense I would imagine. And now look.
Real princes they are.

aaandht
3rd May 2010, 16:19
From what I hear(through people in the oil industry) BP is one of the most anal companies to work for because they have so many redundant safeties...before we start persecuting BP, lets get the full story....

Curbfeeler
3rd May 2010, 16:23
From what I hear(through people in the oil industry) BP is one of the most anal companies to work for because they have so many redundant safeties...before we start persecuting BP, lets get the full story....

I know a guy that works for a subcontracor that manufactures oil well drilling parts and he said the same thing. He also said that the rig involved in the accident was state of the art.

There are many unknowns when drilling in water that is one MILE deep.

aaandht
3rd May 2010, 16:25
Let's not forget the fact that the weather conditions were horrible. Sending something down 5k feet isn't an easy task, then factor in rough seas; and this is what you get.

I'm still a bit uneasy about the fact that our President did a complete about face for off shore drilling, then this happened./tinfoil hat.

doc
3rd May 2010, 16:25
Think I heard 1000 feet down, not sure. Too far for scuba.

The BOP is 5000 ft below the surface. The well is a little over 18000 ft deep (from the sea floor).

like they should have had in the first place. Other countries that use these rigs have secondary emergency shut-offs. A back up for the back up. But not BP, nope. They indicated they didn't need it and were allowed to go without it - to avoid added expense I would imagine. And now look.
Real princes they are.

The reason BP didn't have a secondary emergency cutoff is that the US does not require it for offshore drilling. I imagine that will be changing after this is done. Another thing, if the BOP is in fact found faulty, a secondary shut off would've had no effect in stopping this disaster. We can only hope that they get the oil contained and the leaks stopped.

emzdogz
3rd May 2010, 16:27
not saying this article is the end-all be-all...but here ya go.
http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2010/05/bp-getting-heat-gulf-disaster

aaandht
3rd May 2010, 16:31
The reason BP didn't have a secondary emergency cutoff is that the US does not require it for offshore drilling. I imagine that will be changing after this is done. Another thing, if the BOP is in fact found faulty, a secondary shut off would've had no effect in stopping this disaster. We can only hope that they get the oil contained and the leaks stopped.

There were 2 shut off valves. One at the rig and one at the sea floor. Both failed, on top of several other failures. One giant cluster -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!-.

silver1
3rd May 2010, 16:33
So can it be sucked up from the surface with some device and processed into anything or does the salt water make it totally useless?

doc
3rd May 2010, 16:35
There were 2 shut off valves. One at the rig and one at the sea floor. Both failed, on top of several other failures. One giant cluster -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!-.

I was talking about a secondary shut off for the BOP that uses acoustics to operate it.

srrice40
3rd May 2010, 16:38
it has been reported that the emergency shut off valves were not installed here in the united states by BP oil. irregardless how can anyone not refute the fact that the oil is killing the gulf which was already in poor shape to begin with. Whole industries are going to go in the tank because of this. Let's face it we are human, humans make mistakes and will continue to make mistakes forever! that's why a back up plan should always be in place for such an accident, the emergency shut off valve technology exits and would have only cost the company a mere 500k, with record setting profits and 90 million given to oil companies in the the form of Tax payer's money as corporate welfare, there is no excuse for this and BP should pay for every damn dime to clean up the site and compensate the poor schlubs out there trying to earn a living. But no that wont happen, look at Exxon Valdez, these a'holes stalled and stalled and stalled and finally had to only pay a mere pittance for everthing meanwhile dragging this thru the courts so half everyone involved is now dead, Good on Exxon aye! it can't believe that we as a society allow big corporations to get away with devestating economies and yet are willing to throw a young man in prison for years for a mere MJ possesion, what is wrong with this picture.

emzdogz
3rd May 2010, 16:40
At this point it seems ludicrous to keep even calling it a "spill", since its still gushing out.

silver1
3rd May 2010, 17:04
Can it be sucked up with some device and processed into anything or does the salt water make it totally useless?

Quebeker
3rd May 2010, 17:07
I just heard and seen a good one. Google it at your own risk, the site hosting the "story" redirects to some sh!tty site you after a couple minutes.

It wasn't an accident, the North Korean sent a suicide sub and torpedoed the thing and the US Government for whatever reason is covering it up.

Ireeman
3rd May 2010, 17:12
There was no BOP. Haliburton had just done a a concrete casement sleeve.
BP got caught with they're pants down.

doc
3rd May 2010, 17:14
Can it be sucked up with some device and processed into anything or does the salt water make it totally useless?

Yes. It can be sucked up, refined, and used. They are actually going to try putting something over the breaks in the risers to collect the oil and then pump it to a ship.

I just heard and seen a good one. Google it at your own risk, the site hosting the "story" redirects to some sh!tty site you after a couple minutes.

It wasn't an accident, the North Korean sent a suicide sub and torpedoed the thing and the US Government for whatever reason is covering it up.

I saw the same thing. It's all that damn Kim Jong-Il's fault!!:smoke

Gone
3rd May 2010, 17:18
Don't know who is guilty, but there is a probability this stuff will float up in the bayou next to my property. eek:

AB,Frank
3rd May 2010, 17:18
The main cause for this type of blow out is the density of drilling mud was wrong(not heavy enough) it all start with the geologist drilling reports...you can have the most state of the art equipment,but if you don't have the regulations in place for how to use it things will fail!!
Its a matter of $$ and the big hurry to get the oil out of the gulf..Hence:lacking regulations and the blind eye syndrome.
The mud man will be blamed for this one,so will be the geologist(fall guys)

Shame!!

doc
3rd May 2010, 17:19
There was no BOP. Haliburton had just done a a concrete casement sleeve.
BP got caught with they're pants down.

If there was no BOP, then why are they still trying to activate with ROV's?

bigjnsa
3rd May 2010, 17:19

They have skimmers going across which is what they do, skim the surface picking up the oil. The problem is that its frickin huge and the oil is still coming out. Several years ago I remember on Discovery Channel a new technology using bubble gum (or parts of it). It was during and after the Valdez wreck... Anyways, it was a powder they put on oily water and it gelled the oil into a solid which they could easily scoop up.

Ireeman
3rd May 2010, 17:38
You don't activate a BOP. It works off of pressure. They are telling the press they are trying to activate a valve that does not exist.
Some older BOP's were shut down by divers like myself in no more than 2000fsw.

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on. I worked in the Patch and North Sea for the 80's and 90's. BP has been shit for a long time.

DEEP DIVER
3rd May 2010, 17:55
I worked in the Patch and North Sea for the 80's and 90's. BP has been shit for a long time.

Hi Ireeman
You worked in the north sea you say.
I had a mate whose last diving job was on the Piper Alfa clean up.
He never went back under after that.

AB,Frank
3rd May 2010, 17:58
Oh ya,lots of shyte happening,and those mirrors will be broken and the smoke will clear,then the two step will start...

You don't activate a BOP. It works off of pressure. They are telling the press they are trying to activate a valve that does not exist.
Some older BOP's were shut down by divers like myself in no more than 2000fsw.

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on. I worked in the Patch and North Sea for the 80's and 90's. BP has been shit for a long time.

Ireeman
3rd May 2010, 18:13
The Piper Alpha sealed the deal for a lot of us. The Jones Act had kicked all but a few American divers out of the UK and Norway.
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad133/dsd1138/underwater-welder_4344.jpg

The difference between these 2 rigs is that the Piper burned so hot and so long that ships could not get close.

I lost more than a few friends on that one.

The Piper Alpha

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad133/dsd1138/1-piper-alpha-disaster.jpg

silver1
3rd May 2010, 19:02
Yes. It can be sucked up, refined, and used. They are actually going to try putting something over the breaks in the risers to collect the oil and then pump it to a ship.

I saw the same thing. It's all that damn Kim Jong-Il's fault!!:smoke

Thanks, that's some good news at least.......

emzdogz
6th May 2010, 17:14
'nuther article:
http://www.truthout.org/slick-operator-the-bp-ive-known-too-well59178

emzdogz
8th May 2010, 18:05
just for fun....oil spill tracker
sigh... :frownthre
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/05/01/us/20100501-oil-spill-tracker.html