PDA

View Full Version : I should have listened to Mr Jimi about Home Depot.

Quebeker
17th May 2010, 17:58
2 months ago, we custom order some pre-hung double doors for my rec room downstairs.
They lost the order, before actually ordering the doors but they didn't tell us until my wife checked on it.

Since we paid for the doors, a month ago, we re-ordered them and also custom ordered a kitchen island to use as the bar.
It took close to 3 hours to do that and pay for the new stuff.

Now a month later, the stuff is in.
I go to pick it up this morning.

Used to be when you picked something up at the hardware store, you showed them your receipt and they gave you your shit.
Not anymore, you gotta go to the customer service, they punch everything in the computer, they get a piece of paper with the same crap that's on your piece of paper, give it to somebody else who gives your shit to somebody else at the door and then you show them your piece of paper and they check their piece of paper and then you're allowed to take your shit home.

But their computers were frozen. So, I had to wait and then some more.
Anyway, an hour later, I can check out my shit.
And it was shit.
The double doors I first ordered 2 months ago are damaged, not much, but they are. And no way I can fix it or hide it.
Wait another 20 minutes before someone in charge shows up.

They say "we got 2 option, return them and order new ones (again) or we take some money off".
I say "how much money are you talking about?".
They say "20 bucks".
I say "Get me new doors. If you're gonna insult me, I should at least have perfect doors."

Now, got to go back to customer service (yeah, right)
And their computers are still screwed up so I have to wait some more.
They did pick up the pace when I told them to credit my account and I`ll go to Lowe's instead.

So now, I will go to Home Depot once more, to pick up my damn doors and that`s it.

I shoulda listened to you Mr Jimi.

sportsterdude.248
17th May 2010, 18:38
I swore off Home Depot last year and won't go back.

bigjnsa
17th May 2010, 18:41
Weird, I get the opposite from Lowes and I swore off buying from them because I don't like their driver ;)

Bob F
17th May 2010, 18:46
I swore off Home Depot several years ago and now go to Lowes.

cotnballs
17th May 2010, 18:58
Just look at where they store their special order stuff it’s a joke. If it didn't get damage in transit it sure as hell has a potential to get it damage in the store. I got some doors from them a few years ago and the box was beat to hell. Good thing the company that made the doors packed them very well!

Quebeker
17th May 2010, 19:02
Just look at where they store their special order stuff itís a joke. If it didn't get damage in transit it sure as hell has a potential to get it damage in the store. I got some doors from them a few years ago and the box was beat to hell. Good thing the company that made the doors packed them very well!

On my doors the damage wasn't from transit or storage. They shouldn't even have left the plant. The damage had been painted over. I'm guessing they were made on a Friday afternoon.

Cherrylady2
17th May 2010, 19:19
Menards is the store of my choice. They have their problems too....but...I've always been able to get the item re-ordered (if it's a special order), lots of $$ off, or a full refund. And they've always been pleasant about it.

Pork Chop
17th May 2010, 19:23
I quit buying from both of them years ago
I go to a local Lumber supply / Hardware / Door and window Dealer /
Shingle dealer / you name it they have or can get it fast!
and have all the tools you need or want, AND they do their own millwork!
Living in a city with 200 + year old houses you cant find some of this trim anymore
Take them a sample and their craftsman will make it!
To top it off they have been in business here for almost 100 years, lowes and Homedepot cant shake a stick at that!

Being a seasoned Craftsman, taught by veterans in the field you learn
real early who to trust and who not to!

Long live Guerry Lumber! ( sorry, had to rep my boys! )

= Chop =

johnnysquire
17th May 2010, 19:41
On my doors the damage wasn't from transit or storage. They shouldn't even have left the plant. The damage had been painted over. I'm guessing they were made on a Friday afternoon.

I saw the same thing ordering cabinets for a bathroom remodel. Most were fine, but one cabinet (the fancy one that meant we had to get them through HD) came in obviously 2nd quality, used or beat up FOUR times. At first I blamed shipping, but my guess is that the vendors send the junk/returns/mistakes to HD figuring most DIYers won't notice, or that their contracts are locked in so a few bad apples won't hurt them they way it would with a small customer.

The HD folks were decent about it, but all I got for a 6 month delay was my $$ back and no cabinet.:censor

thatbikerguy
17th May 2010, 19:59
Y'all gonna make Mr. Jimi spill his beer!!! I can just picture him up there, laughing his ass off!!!

goblin_dust
17th May 2010, 19:59
I had orders custom doors from both Lowe's and Home Depot. Price was secondary, my first requirement was that they had precisely what I wanted. Both times the doors were taking no less than 8 weeks to deliver, both times were far behind the estimates that Lowe's or Home Depot were giving at the time I was placing orders.
And yes, I also had to wait in line at the customer service desk only to get my paper work to be handed over to some other guys who actually brought my doors out.
I guess it a little frustrating, but honestly speaking what are 2 hours spending in the store compared to 2 months you already waited for your order?
IMHO, when it comes to custom orders you should prepare yourself for the worse. I also had a stupidity to order custom made kitchen, not from big stores but from the local store that specializes on custom kitchens and bath. Those guys went 2 months behind the schedule on top of 3 months estimated initially. To make things worse they did not deliver the complete order, but were sending some of the pieces as they were manufactured. So my contractor could not assemble it all at once but had to come back over and over again. And it was when we had our newborn daughter and REALLY needed that kitchen.
I guess my point is that you can get screwed outside of Home Depot just a well.