PDA

View Full Version : Current pictures of my 76 XLCH

440RT
14th June 2005, 00:52
Here are a couple of pictures of my 76 XLCH in it's present state, am I biting off more than I can chew?

thatbikerguy
14th June 2005, 01:02
Looks doable... All you can do is try..

dabronco
14th June 2005, 01:04
That's about what I started with.

Fisherman
14th June 2005, 01:14
Man, that's good. A little bit at a time. How's it run?

dwardy
14th June 2005, 01:41
It looks to me like it's ready to ride.

Jesse_Bolt
14th June 2005, 01:57
Here are a couple of pictures of my 76 XLCH in it's present state, am I biting off more than I can chew?

Ah the memories.

JB

74FeHeadXLH
14th June 2005, 02:33
looks like a pretty good start to me...how's she run....a fair bit better shape overall than my 74xlh was in, although the motor had just been rebuilt and he had'nt started on the cosmetics yet when I got it....man I'd say you're in good shape there, and ya have one hell of a resource here on the forum....best of luck

Y2K
14th June 2005, 03:42
Man I think you're in way over your head, yup... no way you'll ever make it run.Better give it to me and forget about it :p
Y2K :smoke

Preacher
14th June 2005, 03:47
No problem! I love a challenge. :D

If it runs now, dump the seat, the buckhorns, grab some steel wool to polish up the case, jugs and wheels, some paint to touch up the frame and you are styling. You will have a sytin ride to play with as you make the changes that turn it into your dream bike.

440RT
14th June 2005, 09:51
Thanks guys.It's not running at the moment, it actually has'nt started in 7 years! I think my self that cosmetics aside, all it needs are clutch and throttle cable's, the front brake caliper seems to be seized (recondition it or get a new one?), and a really good engine service.That would have it running.I think the only esential replacement would be the tyre's, every thing else is cosmetic.

BobboJama
14th June 2005, 13:22
It looks like a real complete scoot, a very good starting point. The carb looks like a S&S Super "B"... No accelerator pump or choke..Just an enrichener.. Could be real hard to start.

Take the caliper off and soak it in WD-40 for a couple of days (inside and out). that should get it moving again. after it's freed up take it apart and rebuild it. New puck, seal, boot and pads should run less than $40.00.

Good Luck !!

Y2K
14th June 2005, 16:46
The carb looks like a S&S Super "B"... No accelerator pump or choke..Just an enrichener.. Could be real hard to start.
Good Luck !!

I'd get rid of that carb if it is a "B" and up grade to a "E" with the accelerator pump.
I had a "B" on my '75 and they can be a pain to start with a kicker.They either start first kick or flood out.:rolleyes:
The "E" carb wasn't in production yet when I had mine.

Max Throttle
14th June 2005, 23:05
man that baby is just screaming for you to own it and get her humming down the road!!

great start!!! :tour

IronMick
15th June 2005, 04:49
On mine i ended up by replacing everything, one thing at a time: front sprocket, rear sprocket, chain, A/C, exhaust system, brake pads, front brake rotors, rebuilt starter & generator, new solonoid, tires & tubes, fluids, plugs, electronic ignition. Geeze, a new IronHead now.

beast1
15th June 2005, 06:29
awsome bike !!! id love to have an old "ch" like that!!! :D

Takingabreak
15th June 2005, 06:37
Hi 44ort.

If you really feel you over your head, please let me know as i am the founder of.
"Jeffs Home for wayward and wornout Sportsters", and I take donations, I'll even through in the shipping.

Chris B.
15th June 2005, 17:23
Looks very promising. Take your time, do it right. The brake can be un-froze by soaking the caliper in Kerosene, then carefully tap the piston with a rubber hammer or squeeze with a C-Clamp to get it to move. Soaking it should break everything free. Then, clean it really good inside and out, you want No rust and No pieces of anything that may make it malfunction. Install any new seals you might need, Paint them and put back on. Just a quick thought... You could get new ones but the K1 does pretty good over time at breaking them free. If you don't mind us asking, I am sure everyone would like to know what kind of deal you got on it?

ps... Make sure the rubber boot on the plunger of the carb is not dry rotted. This happened on my 73'. A new one is only a couple bucks and sure as hell beats having gas leaking out all over every time you hit the throttle. Looking directly at the air cleaner, it would be on the top right hand side.

Wild Child
15th June 2005, 18:51
At this time of year........get it on the road!!! Do what it takes to insure it and enjoy it! :tour You can make some plans sure, but wait until the off season for your projects. Take it from someone who's got a project underway now when it's 'riding time'. :cry1 Working on your horse is fun too but it's a real bitch watching all the steel cruise down the street when yours is in the basement in pieces!!

tprJJ49707
17th June 2005, 19:28
If you didn't bite of more than you can chew, it wouldn't be worth it...If you want to really feel good about your project, wait 'til I post pics of my '85 basket...of course it wasn't a basket when I bought it...

440RT
18th June 2005, 14:57
Bobbojama, it just say's "S&S SUPER" ON THE COVER, Is this an even more basic carb? I took the advice about the tooth-brush cleaning, and it has'nt come up too bad at all! Chris B, I got it for about a thousand Dollars, dont know if it's good or bad, but you have to remember where I live, there cant be too many of these.In fact it is originally an American bike, impotered here in the eighties.A guy offered me a BMW 325 TDS for it as it is, and I have to be hones I was tempted, but after cleaning it up and getting an idea of how it could look, I think I'll keep it.

Y2K
18th June 2005, 17:03
[QUOTE=440RT]Bobbojama, it just say's "S&S SUPER" ON THE COVER, Is this an even more basic carb? QUOTE]

You have to look on the throttle body for a letter.
The Super B is an older S & S carb designed for drag racing and will have a capital B on the body of the carb.
I can't tell for sure from the pic if it's even got an S & S carb
or just the S & S tear drop air cleaner.
I think it does though as it looks like it sticks out pretty far from the engine and the Super B is a very long Carb.
The newer model E is a much better street carb as it has an excellerator pump and is also shorter and gives more leg clearence for the rider.

440RT
18th June 2005, 17:54
Y2K, your right, it sticks WAY out! I'll check out the body and see if there is a "B" on it.

ironxl
24th June 2005, 02:41
My 76 XLCH had also sat in a barn for 7 years when I got it. You see how far apart I had to go with it. I was in no hurry to finish it. It was a very satisfying project. I get that much more enjoyment out of the bike now because I put it together myself.

You have a golden opportunity here. The bike is already almost all there. Get you a good manual and some parts catalogs and take your time on it. The end result will be very well worth the effort.

BobboJama
28th June 2005, 13:12
They make an accellerator pump kit for the Super B that is available through V-Twin. I have one on my B and it works very well. If you can put up with the long carb body interfering with your knee, you find the B is a real screamer with the accellerator pump, it will out flow the E by about 30%, and the longer ride that the air/fuel mixture takes to the cylinder helps to better atomize and mix the air/fuel resulting in more efficient combustion.....MORE HORSEPOWER

Irondrake77
28th June 2005, 14:03
Looks alot better then mine did when I bought it, totally stripped from being used as a dirt bike. Just take your time and address each thing as you come to it and you'll be rolling in no time

Y2K
28th June 2005, 15:42
They make an accellerator pump kit for the Super B that is available through V-Twin. I have one on my B and it works very well. If you can put up with the long carb body interfering with your knee, you find the B is a real screamer with the accellerator pump, it will out flow the E by about 30%, and the longer ride that the air/fuel mixture takes to the cylinder helps to better atomize and mix the air/fuel resulting in more efficient combustion.....MORE HORSEPOWER

That's very interesting! I wish they'd of had that kit back when I had my stroker. ;)