PDA

View Full Version : Oil gauge ????'s

angst1966
14th September 2007, 03:23
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the ellen screw on the front of the oil filter housing is on my 99 sporty engine, I don't have the whole bike just the power plant and am going to be building a project with it and I was just trying to learn a little more about it, I have never owned a sportster before this so any help would be appreciated. I was hoping I might be able to use that access point to run an oil pressure gauge.

Thanks

snowman
14th September 2007, 03:28
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the ellen screw on the front of the oil filter housing is on my 99 sporty engine, I don't have the whole bike just the power plant and am going to be building a project with it and I was just trying to learn a little more about it, I have never owned a sportster before this so any help would be appreciated. I was hoping I might be able to use that access point to run an oil pressure gauge.

Thanks

Is there a full moon tonight???? :wtf

Mattbastard
14th September 2007, 03:35
Since the engine's out, why not just take off the filter and see. If it's in the same cavity as the oil pressure sensor, I'd say yes you can use it.

angst1966
14th September 2007, 03:46
I was serious, So thanks Russ in Michigan, Others on this site such as Casper have been really nice to help out even on the most ignorant ?'s so I thought the XL forum was a friendly site and not one you get looked down on! But obviously I was misled and others use this site use it for there own entertainment or to make them feel better or smarter than others. I would be happy to send you a pic of my current project or my last project that made a 2 page spread in The Horse Backstreet Chopper rag. It was not a sportster however Russ, Pardon me for trying to gain some knowledge from what I thought was a friendly site !!!!!!!

Casper
14th September 2007, 13:49
Angst, I don't know off the top of my head what the screw is for (since I'm at work at the moment), but when I get home tonight I'll take a peek and see what I can find out for ya.

I know there are some people here who run oil gauges; hopefully this post will bump the thread back to the top for them to see and they'll chime in with some ideas. I don't run an oil gauge myself (or even a tach), so unfortunately I can't just say "hey, run the gauge right here and you'll be fine!", but maybe they will!

And around here, like with any other group, we do have our off-days from time to time. Bert & John try to make sure we play nice...and occasionally, they even succeed. :D

superwarden
14th September 2007, 14:14
Actually I think those ports are to run oil coolers? I am not a hundred percent sure but I think that is their purpose. Don't let a bad comment taint your image of us. There is a lot of good information here, sometimes you just have to wade through some bs.

Gone
17th September 2007, 01:41
angst,
Do you have a picture? That might help us. As for the gauge, run the pressure tap off the oil pressure switch; you'll have to run a "t" if you want pressure and light. Plumbing supply house will have the "t", local inde will have the stainless steel line and 1/8 NPT adapters for the stainless line. Gauges are available on ebay or auto parts store; get one that has oil in the gauge to dampen the needle. Some of us have installed the oil pressure gauge; search for "oil pressure gauge".

Have fun!