PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Custom Tach?

schvamf
14th December 2004, 14:23
Anyone know of a nice looking tachometer I could install on my 04 Custom? My local H-D dealer does not offer any yet for it.

Thanks in advance..
Frank

Buck8200
14th December 2004, 21:40
Many HD dealers with websites offer downloadable (pdf files) Catalogs that you can peruse and see one you like. You can even surf ebay and look for the part of your choice and save a little money.

Speedy818
14th December 2004, 21:59
I think I remember reading a Dealer Service Bulletin that the 2004Customs has something about it that won't allow it to have a tach installed.

Yeah - here it is:

February 9, 2004
Accessory Instruments On 2004 Models
We have had questions about installing Mini Tachs on the 2004 models. They will work
on models with 5 inch speedometers. 2004 EFI models still have the rpm signal at the
ecm (terminal 3) but we don't route the pink wire to the front any more because we now
get the rpm signal off the data bus. The 2004 ICM (carb models) does not have a signal
terminal available for a Mini Tach. You can get the rpm signal you need, with either fuel
system, by connecting the signal wire to the 5 inch speedometer at terminal 3. You will
need a terminal, part number 74196-04, for the speedo connection. Mini Tach
instruction sheets for 5 inch speedometer vehicles have been updated to include 2004
model information. Instruction sheets can be viewed on h-dnet. Kit number 68950-99A,
for XL Custom, will not work on the 2004 model.
The new Speedo/Tach kit recently introduced for 2004 models differs from our other
instruments and will likely have some customers asking questions. The odometer LCD
mileage display remains on at all times, even when the switch is OFF. If shut off while
in Trip mode, the light will go out and the Trip meter will switch to odometer total vehicle
mileage. When the switch is turned back on, it will go back to wherever it was last, Trip
1, Trip 2 or Odometer.
One other difference, the display uses "Trip 1" and "Trip 2" rather than production's "Trip
A" and "Trip B".

If it was just a matter of a new bracket, it wouldn't be a big deal and we'd have one available by now, but there's something about the wiring on the 2004+ models that makes this difficult. I guess.

Moved On
14th December 2004, 23:02
The old tachs and the mini tachs use an analog signal (the pink wire) derived from the ingition module. It sounds like the '04s and up use a data bus to send digital data.

To decode the data bus' digital data you need a microporcessor in your tach, so it's a different technology you're working with. Seems like it would have been nice for the factory to leave the analog wire behind for old tachs. Could be they have some weenie software manager from microsoft who believes in proprietary undocumented interfaces. I hope they open the data bus protocols. If the did (or have done) that, it would be relatively simple for someone to develop a converter module to turn the data bus info into the old style analog information. You could build such a circuit for about $20, and sell it for about $179 at the dealers part counter.

Gary

Broncodog
15th December 2004, 00:23
Sounds like this is going to be an expensive part down the road :frownthre

Moved On
15th December 2004, 01:14
Sounds like this is going to be an expensive part down the road :frownthreAll depends on how open HD is with their protocols. If they keep the keys to the codes, then there may be no aftermarket parts. I can't imagine they'll do that though in the long haul.

Gary

ufaf
15th December 2004, 09:48
I just had a tach installed on my sporty. Had to make some changes because my top gauges took the place of the usual mount for a tach. My tach is just a standard harley tach.

schvamf
15th December 2004, 17:01
I just had a tach installed on my sporty. Had to make some changes because my top gauges took the place of the usual mount for a tach. My tach is just a standard harley tach.
Looks real nice... how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking...

schvamf
16th December 2004, 15:54
I think I remember reading a Dealer Service Bulletin that the 2004Customs has something about it that won't allow it to have a tach installed.

Are the '04 Customs wired differently than the Roadsters? You would think that since the Roadsters have the tach it would be the same setup for the Customs.

schvamf
26th December 2004, 19:44
I called HD headquarters last week and they hinted (but couldn't give any official response) that there will be one available within 6 months..! Can't wait..

Joshuasws6
5th January 2005, 22:48

My apologies if I am mistaken, but it appears that your bike is an 04 Custom? If so, WHICH tach did you install?! My Harley dealer insists that a tach will NOT work on the 04 and will not be available for some time. Every search I have done online seems to indicate the same. How did you manage to get one installed and functioning?

ufaf
6th January 2005, 11:10
Joshuasws, the part number for the tach I used is 67359-96b. I suggest you give my mechanic a call and he will tell you exactly what he did. His name is Danny and the number to Carolina Coast Harley Davidson is 910-791-9997. Just tell him you saw pictures of Randy's '04 Sportster (he calls my bike a heritage fat electra sportster because of all the changes we have made, lol) and you are interested in adding a tach to your bike. He will hook you up.

Good luck and happy and safe riding.

gearhead
6th January 2005, 14:25
hey, I do not want to flood this guy with calls, If anyone does call, can you post what he said? I'm kind of curious my self.

ufaf
6th January 2005, 15:22
My mechanic said he got the wiring harness and the tach from part number 67182-04 adn the housing from part number 67359-96b. In order for the tach to fit on the custom, you have to retro the risers back to the 03' and install wider bars. The bars now hide the wiring and it handles much better. He also used the 03' gauge cluster.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can find out anything more for you.

Broncodog
6th January 2005, 16:11
ufaf, what did this set ya back?

ufaf
6th January 2005, 19:28
Broncodog, I will send you a private message.

Joshuasws6
9th January 2005, 03:10
Thanks for the info! Sounds like there were quite a few modifications required!

ufaf
9th January 2005, 13:33
Yes, it did take a few mods but all have inhanced the bike for me nicely. I enjoy the wider bars more than anything.

I get the tank painted this coming Thursday. I think I will stop for a while after that. lol

Happy and safe Riding.

Randy

KLars
6th February 2005, 22:55
I called HD headquarters last week and they hinted (but couldn't give any official response) that there will be one available within 6 months..! Can't wait..

Update Anyone?

I really want to add a tach to my -04 XL1200C. However, I have drag bars and the 2004 riser on my bike so I am not sure if a standard one will fit.

What I am REALLY hoping for is a speedometer / tachometer combination to come out.

Kevin

bud095
7th February 2005, 00:53
Yes, it did take a few mods but all have inhanced the bike for me nicely. I enjoy the wider bars more than anything.

I get the tank painted this coming Thursday. I think I will stop for a while after that. lol

Happy and safe Riding.

Randy
yeah thats what i thought too!LOL! :bump

KLars
7th February 2005, 04:06
They already have a tack kit out for 04' later Sporty's Part # 67182-04 $245 retail.

Thanks for the PN but there is no indication that this will fit a Custom model.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444184701 9&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309042512&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309042512&bmUID=1107749144115&bmLocale=en_US

owencz
5th April 2005, 16:14
You can install the Drag Specialties 1 7/8" Mini Tach (part #7805-6948) on a 2004/2005 Sportster 1200 Custom if you also purchase the Crane Tach Adapter (Part# 381-331) from JP Cycles. I mounted it on one of the bolts for the handlebar mount. Looks really cool and works perfectly and illuminates for night driving.

Please note, the tach will not work with the adapter that Drag tells you to buy, I went through about 3-4 different adapters before finally getting it to work correctly with the Crane.

I have a 2004 (not 2003 or earlier) Sportster 1200 Custom. Also note the 2005 is exactly the same as far as the electrical is concerned. So it will work on this years as well. I am not sure about the 883 Custom.

If you need more info, please email me at owencz@yahoo.com.

Happy Taching....

pquirk
5th April 2005, 16:18
You can install the Drag Specialties 1 7/8" Mini Tach (part #7805-6948) on a 2004/2005 Sportster 1200 Custom if you also purchase the Crane Tach Adapter (Part# 381-331) from JP Cycles. I mounted it on one of the bolts for the handlebar mount. Looks really cool and works perfectly and illuminates for night driving.

Please note, the tach will not work with the adapter that Drag tells you to buy, I went through about 3-4 different adapters before finally getting it to work correctly with the Crane.

I have a 2004 (not 2003 or earlier) Sportster 1200 Custom. Also note the 2005 is exactly the same as far as the electrical is concerned. So it will work on this years as well. I am not sure about the 883 Custom.

If you need more info, please email me at owencz@yahoo.com.

Happy Taching....Hey Owen, I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum. Slide by the introduction section sometime for a Hardy How-do. Do you have any pics of the tach installed? I'd love to see it.

owencz
5th April 2005, 16:26
Hey Owen, I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum. Slide by the introduction section sometime for a Hardy How-do. Do you have any pics of the tach installed? I'd love to see it.

Dude, my bike is stored in the shop for the winter and I am getting it out this weekend. I will post pictures of it hopefully on Sunday night. I know that HD says a tach won't work, but a tachometer is a simple mechanism that will work from the pulse on the coil for any engine whether it be a lawn mower or any type of motorcycle or car. The key here is the Crane adapter. It will work with any tach that is electrical (not mechanical). I will post pictures and a step by step wiring diagram for everyone soon. It was a cinch. I even did it by taping into the plug that connects directly to the coil. All I had to do was unscrew the top bolt of the gas tank, wedge a peace of wood to hold it up, unplug, and cut and spice a few of the wires.

Keep checking back soon after sunday for the details.

pquirk
5th April 2005, 17:27
I'll be looking forward to that info, thanks!

blueglide88
25th May 2005, 00:49
Harley has a mini tach out for Customs. Has anybody installed it yet?

jobeta
13th June 2005, 00:42
Hello. I am new to the XL forum. I checked the wiring diagram in the 2005 sportster service manual. The XL1200R does have a tachometer. The tach datalink signal (pin 2) and the speedo datalink signal (pin 2) connect to the main harness at pin 7. So what you need is the tachometer for a XL1200R, the tach connector (do not know the P/N for both these parts) and the Chrome Speedometer/Tachometer Bracket Kit (67294-95A). You cannot use the tach kit (67359-96B) on the 2004/2005 because that tach needs an analog signal. You need the tach from the XL1200R (or XL883R, if they have it). To connect the tach to the main wiring harness, you must splice the wires as follows:

Tach pin#: Main Harness pin#:
1 >>>>>>>>> 6
2 >>>>>>>>> 7
5 >>>>>>>>> 2
6 >>>>>>>>> 1
7 >>>>>>>>> 12

You can refer to the wiring diagram on page B-21 of the 2005 Sportster Service manual (HD# 99484-05). I install a tach in my 2005 XL883C, that I will take delivery next month. Hope this iformation helps.

Camera108
20th June 2005, 00:21
Just for your info, HD just produced a tach for the 04 up Custom. I saw it last night on the HD parts page and went to order it from the dealer today. SURPRISE...he just got one in stock. It plugs in under the tank (got to take it off) and has a special connector. Having the dealer put it on this week when they do the recall work (petcock/reserve). You have to get the new tack, the special 04 up bracket, and the cup...they offer 2. Runs a little over 200.00 total with HOG discount. Hope this helps.

whispanic
10th June 2006, 21:59
anyone got pics of this setup?

Adios

DynamoBen
14th June 2006, 17:11
The old tachs and the mini tachs use an analog signal (the pink wire) derived from the ingition module. It sounds like the '04s and up use a data bus to send digital data.

To decode the data bus' digital data you need a microporcessor in your tach, so it's a different technology you're working with. Seems like it would have been nice for the factory to leave the analog wire behind for old tachs. Could be they have some weenie software manager from microsoft who believes in proprietary undocumented interfaces. I hope they open the data bus protocols. If the did (or have done) that, it would be relatively simple for someone to develop a converter module to turn the data bus info into the old style analog information. You could build such a circuit for about $20, and sell it for about $179 at the dealers part counter.

Gary

I have read elsewhere that HD decided not to run the wire to the front of the bike. The analog signal is still there, you would just need to run the wire. See HD response below:

"February 9, 2004
Accessory Instruments On 2004 Models
We have had questions about installing Mini Tachs on the 2004 models. They will work
on models with 5 inch speedometers. 2004 EFI models still have the rpm signal at the
ecm (terminal 3) but we don't route the pink wire to the front any more because we now
get the rpm signal off the data bus. The 2004 ICM (carb models) does not have a signal
terminal available for a Mini Tach. You can get the rpm signal you need, with either fuel
system, by connecting the signal wire to the 5 inch speedometer at terminal 3. You will
need a terminal, part number 74196-04, for the speedo connection. Mini Tach
instruction sheets for 5 inch speedometer vehicles have been updated to include 2004
model information. Instruction sheets can be viewed on h-dnet. Kit number 68950-99A,
for XL Custom, will not work on the 2004 model.
The new Speedo/Tach kit recently introduced for 2004 models differs from our other
instruments and will likely have some customers asking questions. The odometer LCD
mileage display remains on at all times, even when the switch is OFF. If shut off while
in Trip mode, the light will go out and the Trip meter will switch to odometer total vehicle
mileage. When the switch is turned back on, it will go back to wherever it was last, Trip
1, Trip 2 or Odometer.
One other difference, the display uses "Trip 1" and "Trip 2" rather than production's "Trip
A" and "Trip B"."

Knowing this would a serial buss to analog converter be of interest to ppl? I guess I could kind of see it if the analog signal didn't exist or if someone wanted an analog speedo.