PDA

View Full Version : clean you gas tank....

flathead45
13th June 2010, 20:00
well about 2 weeks ago I low sided my bike. just a slow drop when I leaned her too far and got up on the pipe and slid out.

ever since then she's been running for crap and has had me just pissed to no end. so today I seid "this has to end now"

I pulled the carb, a slight bit of crud in the carb. not bad, I've seen her worse.

pull the fuel filter, and what the fudge???? its full of mud. MUD??? how in the hell did I get mud in there?

so. out comes the fuel petcock. nope, nothing wrong there.

pull the tank next and what the hell is that.... maggots??? no, mud wasp larva. seems that when the tank was in storage last summer a wasp built a nest in there and I never knew about it .

when I went down I musta washed the nest down off the top of the tank and now it desolved and ran into the filter which trapped it and plugged up.

so the moral of the story is.... wash out that tank thats been sitting for years before just throwing it on and hoping for the best.....:smoke

Shuckun's
14th June 2010, 06:17
Glad you were able to figure it out. Those little bugger's can get into the darndest places you can emagine. Even if you have all the holes plugged it is still a good idea to check before installing.

BWP 5p
14th June 2010, 06:26
That's crazee!!!!:laugh:laugh:doh:doh

billdog
14th June 2010, 06:39
Was the tank off? How would they get in? That is some wierd shit right there! It is making me laugh pretty hard though.

chopfather
14th June 2010, 07:17
Glad you figured that out. Stuff like that could take forever to find and have you spending alot of time and money chasing other problems that aren't even there.

fatty883
14th June 2010, 08:31
Thats insane...

undeadfred1
15th June 2010, 01:51
WTF? haha man that sucks! glad everything is gonna work out though.

linkin5
15th June 2010, 08:11
If I ever remove a tank I keep it in a bag or at least cap the openings just so that stuff dosent happen to me.

flathead45
15th June 2010, 10:32
it was an old tank from a hummer that was just sitting on a shelf for years with no petcock in it, so I figger the wasp entered through there.

the tank was on my bike all last year with no trouble but the nest might have been stuck to the top inside were I coudn't see it or where gas wasn't getting to it (I rarely fill my tank to the top with gas). the grubs were very old looking , like they might have been in there a while but its near impossible to see down in this tank through the filler hole cause of a ?coil? box built into the tank.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2774/0031129442.jpg

oh well, I need a bigger tank anyways, this is just too small and I can only run about 80-90 miles on a fill.

sportsterdude.248
15th June 2010, 10:38
Good thing they didn't come flying out the first time you fueled up.

flathead45
15th June 2010, 10:56
Good thing they didn't come flying out the first time you fueled up.
heeheee, I grew up on a farm and we had wasps and bees everywhere. hell my dad got stung in the middle of winter once when we were cleaning up the garage. he picked up a door that was leaning on the wall and there was a bee right where his thumb landed when he grabbed the door. just sleeping there but the heat of dads thumb warmed it enuff to make it zap him.

3 feet of snow and my dad gets stung.....who'da figgered

one time working for "JUNG" seed, driving tractor, I was watching as a mud wasp filled all the bolt holes on the rear of the tractor I was driving. as I go up and down the feild this wasp would come flying in with a grub in her grasp, find a hole on the back of the tractor and stuff the grub in and seal up the hole with mud. all day long she did this till 8 holes were full. musta been about 4 eggs in each bolt hole.

steelworker
15th June 2010, 11:11
A few years back, a mate's wife bought a secondhand Honda CB500 from a local dealer, who claimed to have given it a "full service". We found a mouse's nest inside the airbox. :rolleyes:

flathead45
15th June 2010, 11:22
A few years back, a mate's wife bought a secondhand Honda CB500 from a local dealer, who claimed to have given it a "full service". We found a mouse's nest inside the airbox. :rolleyes:
yup, I sucked a mouse nest right though my "john Deere 300" snowmobile engine. it sat over the summer and when I went to fire it up crap came flying out the exhaust pipe. shut her down and looked her over...

air box had what was left of the nest and there were streamer hanging off my sparkplugs :smoke

I sold it right after that and always wondered how bad the crank was, if there was any crap wrapped around the crank or rods:laugh:laugh:laugh:shhhh

drvsafe
15th June 2010, 11:41
um hello.....EEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!!