PDA

View Full Version : Create a Dealer Database...?

typerighter
20th September 2007, 01:03
How about a dealer database wherein we can upload data about pricing, service, etc.?

I'm calling around right now about scheduled mileage checks, trying to find the best price, and I got to wondering this: With all the people here on the XL forum, why can't we produce a dealer database so we can give the "better" dealers our business and avoid the bad ones. Put the power of knowledge on our side to drive prices down. I'm sure, collectively, we have all the info one would need (stored in the forum members' brains), we just need a way to 1) collect it, 2) organize it, and 3) make it searchable.

If one existed right now, I'd be able to look up the dealers in my area, find one with the best price and quality service. How much is a 1000 mile check? No problem. Look it up.

In this age of social networking, it seems our forum would be the perfect vehicle for that sort of thing.

We can probably drill down to who is the best mechanic for certain jobs.

Oh, the dreams I have.

Thanks for listening.

Just_Todd
20th September 2007, 01:04
Indys too. No need to pay too much for good service.

P Cookie
20th September 2007, 01:09
Sounds like a good sticky to me

Weo
20th September 2007, 02:21
I've been wanting this for awhile. I was shot down, though, and told it's something we could find in the Dealer/Stealership section... good luck with that...

TheForce
20th September 2007, 02:46
I'll see what I can pull together.

ParrotHead
20th September 2007, 03:22
Would also be nice to have a rating system since some suck more and others suck less

typerighter
20th September 2007, 18:51
Indys too. No need to pay too much for good service.

That's true. That would be cool.

sportyblue
20th September 2007, 18:56
Would also be nice to have a rating system since some suck more and others suck less

ditto....................................

mgalbreath
5th October 2007, 17:03
Debbra, those Bassani pipes sound awesome in your YouTube video! Coincidentally, I watched "Easy Rider" again (after 20 years) a couple of weeks ago and your Steppenwolf background audio reminded me of what a great movie it is.

As for a dealer database, the thread's original idea was to find competitive prices for competent maintenance. Those services can usually be found much cheaper in a performance shop than a dealership. Also, would parts prices be a factor? What about sales on bikes at specific dealers? How would "competent" be defined? Got it right the first time? Willing to make it right without a hassle? Discounts for screwing something up? This would have to be a dynamic user-driven database and scrubbing erroneous and obsolete data seems like a maintenance nightmare to me.

For a POC (proof of concept), why not create such a forum, like "The XL Trust" with topic threads for each state (or states subdivided into regions). Users could then publish relevant shop information (of course, "relevant" also needs definition)? It seems like it could be built on the Wikipedia model.

Just an idea.

sportyblue
22nd October 2007, 18:11
Debbra, those Bassani pipes sound awesome in your YouTube video! Coincidentally, I watched "Easy Rider" again (after 20 years) a couple of weeks ago and your Steppenwolf background audio reminded me of what a great movie it is.

Thank you. Yea, Easy Rider is a cool movie !