PDA

View Full Version : HD Oil Temp Dipstick

dashadow
18th June 2005, 03:10
I bought the oil temp dipstick, part #63023-05, a couple days ago. Went for a ride and the temp never got above 155. That made me a little suspicious so I did the boiling water test. Sure enough--water from my faucet boils at about 195 degrees. :frownthre

I'll keep it though because it solves the problem of difficult removal of the dipstick. This one comes off and goes on easily. And I can add 15 or 20 to whatever it says and be in the ballpark.

BTW, I'm using synthetic so the temps will be a little lower than dino oil.

rider1951
18th June 2005, 03:20
I put mine in boiling water and it indicated about 212 degrees. I'm running Amsoil and with temps in the 65-75 degree range the oil temp is about 200 degrees.

If yours is reading low I'd take it back and try another one. At the price they charge it should be accurate.

streeteagle2
18th June 2005, 03:32
I thought about getting oil temp dipstick, but I decided to check temp with a candy/deep dry thermometer right after a ride-with outside temp of 80 degrees & normal riding it read about 180 last check. Of course, if I'm idling in traffic I would'nt know if it got real hot with out dipstick temp gauge, so investing in the dipstick gauge is a good idea. Your gauge reads low for sure, but like you say, you can tack on about 20 or so degrees. :tour

lschultz
18th June 2005, 13:35
I put mine in boiling water and it indicated about 212 degrees. I'm running Amsoil and with temps in the 65-75 degree range the oil temp is about 200 degrees.

If yours is reading low I'd take it back and try another one. At the price they charge it should be accurate.

My son bought one and put it in his yesterday and his was running a little over 200 degrees but the outside temp down here yesterday was about 95.

dtw757
18th June 2005, 18:35
I put mine in boiling water and burned my bloody fingers. Don't know what is worse. Burned or sliced?

DaddyJay
18th June 2005, 19:26
Don't forget that water boils at 212 at sea level. Depending on your elevation the number changes slightly. I wouldn't say 20 degrees though, maybe 5 degrees max.

dashadow
18th June 2005, 20:31
DaddyJay,

I'm between 100 and 200 feet above sea level. Barometric pressure was 29.94. Water boils at 211.8, will you forgive me if I round up??

gymrat523
29th June 2005, 03:48
I got one for fathers day, steady riding mine is about 190 degrees, it's a good investment for piece of mind, I would take yours back and get one that works.

hidbigo
15th July 2005, 05:28
The temperature reading on mine varies a bunch with the oil level. If you're a half quart down, it reads about 20 degrees low. If you let it get down to the 'add' line, it reads even lower.

Freaked me out at first - the bike seemed to be running hotter with a full oil tank than a half full one!!??

Maybe when you did the boiling water test, you only put it in half way?

dashadow
16th July 2005, 05:39
Hidbigo, GOOD observation! It's possible because I was trying not to expose the cap part of it to too much steam.

BarAndShield
29th July 2005, 07:13
Mine was jettisoned at at about 60 mph... it was about 20 degrees on the cool side any way....

SportsterBart
29th July 2005, 07:31
I wasn't sure mine was accurate so I swapped it with my buddy who has one too. After a good long ride we were both reading our usual temps. I'm about 30 degrees cooler than him with the Lockhart btw.

Bart

jsub
29th July 2005, 14:59
I think mine is reasonably correct @ around 180-200. But, I suspect most guages & just use that reading as a "benchmark" for what is normal. My complaint is I have a hard time reading the oil level on that slick shiney dipstick.

icebob
14th August 2005, 14:28
I just used a brown scotchbrite on mine and it really help getting a reading

jsub
14th August 2005, 15:59
I just used a brown scotchbrite on mine and it really help getting a reading

Thanks, I'll try that.

daesdaemar
14th August 2005, 16:16
DaddyJay,

I'm between 100 and 200 feet above sea level. Barometric pressure was 29.94. Water boils at 211.8, will you forgive me if I round up??

Physics major???

Broncodog
14th August 2005, 17:33
:laugh Bill don't forget ya got that special OC water over there! :p

HotRodSporty
14th August 2005, 18:16
I got one after the rebuild, mine reads 200 in 85 weather and in city riding. Mine doesnt go below 50 I think, even when it sits for a few days. She muct be staying ready for me. :p

thunderpaw
15th August 2005, 01:43
I got one after the rebuild, mine reads 200 in 85 weather and in city riding. Mine doesnt go below 50 I think, even when it sits for a few days. She muct be staying ready for me. :pFunny, mine doesn't go below 70 degrees even after sitting for days. Guess I'll have to wait for winter! ;)

Kim

lschultz
15th August 2005, 16:05
My son bought one of those oil dip sticks and a freind bought of his bought one about a month later. On our way to Sturgis (several hundred miles out of Texas) his freinds starting leaking oil from the tank down the side of the cover then the next time we stop for gas oil is running down the side of my sons bike not as bad but it is seeping. We make a detour to Abline HD and they say they have to much oil in the tanks so they suck some out. Cold level my sons was about half way on the dip stick. They bought the original dip sticks and put in there(should of taken the original ones) and had no more problems. Son has always run his oil level at this level and had no problems. They got them from Zanotti so he will email him and see what happens. This was the longest run they had been on and we were running 70-75 and it was hot in Texas that morning. We put 3250 miles on and no problems but this one.

DustyJacket
15th August 2005, 16:30
My son bought one of those oil dip sticks and a freind bought of his bought one about a month later. On our way to Sturgis (several hundred miles out of Texas) his freinds starting leaking oil from the tank down the side of the cover then the next time we stop for gas oil is running down the side of my sons bike not as bad but it is seeping. ....

....They bought the original dip sticks and put in there(should of taken the original ones) and had no more problems.

Darn. I wish I'd seen this Thursday. Friday I went 669 miles at 80mph and it started puking after 5+ hours. I thought I had overfilled it, but did not. Then yesterday on the way back it started puking again after 8 hours of 80mph.

I did have some excess preassure in the tank if I checked the oil right after stopping for fuel, but not if I checked it after is refulled.

I was thinking I might have some hard-to-diagnose pproblem. Maybe not.
I did put the original dipstick back in when I got home last night on a hunch, and put the thermometer dipstick in my rack bag, but I don't plan any long trips soon.

I wonder if it was just the dipstick giving up after hours of hard running?

01Sporty
15th August 2005, 16:51
I always thought my original dipstick was going in "funny". Regardless of engine or outside temperature, if you pushed it in until it stopped it would "pop" back out a little. I would just twist and turn it in and eventually it would stay all the way in.
I got the analog temperature dipstick a few weeks ago, it goes in and stays in.
The longest trip I've taken since was a 60 mile rt., no problems.

FYI, the dealer did advise against the LED read-out "they're still having problems".

When it's 85 and above here in city traffic, it reads about 150-180. Last night (75 air temp) it stayed under 150 for the hour long ride. We got up to 95 one day, stuck in a traffic jam and it made it to 200.

Regards,

FreestateXL
15th August 2005, 17:50
:doh Damn, I bought one 'cause I thought it would look cool..ya mean we're supposed to look at the little numbers??? :yikes

01Sporty
15th August 2005, 18:43
:doh Damn, I bought one 'cause I thought it would look cool..ya mean we're supposed to look at the little numbers??? :yikes

Ya KNOW it's a real PITA when someone catches you fibbing.

I bought mine ONLY so I could lift my right leg at times of methane gas :roflblack

wolfgang
15th August 2005, 21:51
I guess I need to be educated....what good is it knowing the oil temp, especially if you are sitting in traffic on a hot day? What are you going to do about it? Turn on the fan? It seems like another way to get us to part with our hard earned dollars.

FreestateXL
15th August 2005, 22:14
I guess I need to be educated....what good is it knowing the oil temp, especially if you are sitting in traffic on a hot day? What are you going to do about it? Turn on the fan? It seems like another way to get us to part with our hard earned dollars.

imho, rising oil temps could be an indicator/early warning of a more serious problem. :dunno

VettesRule
23rd August 2005, 07:23
I just got the analog gauge and I like it. Easy to turn and the extra information is nice. I hope I don't leak oil now like a couple of you discovered.

supercharger
24th August 2005, 15:25
I wonder if any of you who have both dipsticks also have a micrometer to measure the size of both dipsticks? The only way the temp stick would be leaking is if the circumference were undersized.

FWIW, I bought the temp stick about two weeks ago and have had no problems with leaking, even after some extended riding at 80+ MPH on VERY hot days. (110 heat index!!!).

I have also noticed that the temperature diplayed has a lot to do with your speed. Keeping it 45 or under around town keeps the oil around 160-180. freeway criusing at 70+ pushes it over 200.

prbetts
24th August 2005, 15:44
I've had the analog gauge in for a year. Never a leak

DustyJacket
24th August 2005, 17:44
I only have "the leak" at the end of a full day of riding and if it is pretty high speed.
The stock dipstick is MUCH harder to take out and put in. The thermometer dispstik is loose in the hole.

01Sporty
24th August 2005, 18:12
I wonder if any of you who have both dipsticks also have a micrometer to measure the size of both dipsticks? The only way the temp stick would be leaking is if the circumference were undersized.

I have both the stock & an analog temp gauge and I even have a digital micrometer. :)
What exactly do you want measured?
I assume you mean the rubber portion that fits into the tank "tube", but rather then assuming, be specific and I'll post them.

The highest my gauge has gone was 200 and that was in city traffic on a 95 degree afternoon. Last night is only got to 140 but the air temp was around 70. I love those cool evening rides :tour
Regards,

BarAndShield
26th August 2005, 07:51
I jettisoned my mechanical guage and went with the digital model.... not having seen the reviews... gotta say, it seems pretty darn accurrate and I've had no probs with it thus far. Do I reccomend it? Well if you don't want to deal with adding 15-20 degrees to what your mecxhanical gauge says and have an extra $30 or so to spend, then go for it! Works (for now) for me! :)

DustyJacket
26th August 2005, 15:50
When I bought my dipstick (last month) there was not a digital model for the Sportster.

Is there now?

01Sporty
26th August 2005, 15:54
When I bought my dipstick (last month) there was not a digital model for the Sportster. Is there now?

My local dealer had them a year ago when I first got my Sporty.

Lucifer
26th August 2005, 17:04
The digital guage used to be for 03 and back. O4 is different and was only available in a mechanical guage though H-D. Had mine for a while and it reads accurate. No weeping either, regardless of how fast or how long I ride. I looked though the 06 catalog and didn't see a digital for 04 and up but I may have missed it. Mine has no marks for measurement though.

01Sporty
26th August 2005, 18:39
Opps, didn't see you had a newer Sporty sorry.