PDA

View Full Version : Starter kit Conversion

Sleevedfreak
19th June 2005, 05:30
Ok..here goes I am going to explain my trouble and fixes maybe it will help someone or someone might have some new information for me.

I installed a elec start kit in my 73 xlch. The kit was great with the exception of cheap wires, cheap leads to the starter and selenoid, and not very good directions to get it done. With that said...It might be cheaper to buy the kit, but you might end up replaceing some of the parts (like I did) with better ones. THe kit I got was from V-Twin Mfg.

I Replaced all the wires the gage and rateing of the wire was ok for running turnsignals but in my opinion not for the starter system.

I replaced the ground cable, they gave a braded one, I used the copper single strand cable. It was around 30 bucks for 6 inches. You can tell the good cables same way you can tell the difference in good and cheap jumper cables. The good ones are very flexable and the cheaper ones are stiff.

The selenoid was crap,,I replaced it with a better Accel one.
The start button was the stock type,,,I am not a fan of that I changed that too..

I had a guy at work weld the ring gear on the clutch basket..I can weld but this guy welds aircraft parts for a living..needless to say his welds make mine like well never mind...

The kit installed pretty much with ease. A few mods here and there, like Drilling out some of the holes on the oil tank mounting tabs...welding a stud on the mount bracket to mount a stock regulator.

The problem I had when I went to give it the first push start just a "click"
ok so I went thru the system jumped the starter, it spun, jumped the selenoid it engaged and spun the starter..but the bike then turned over slowly..I thought crappy battery...so I put it on a charger for a 5 hrs. Ran 1.5 amps untill light turned green. Replace the battery...turned over slow then click and grrrrrrrr....

A friend stated to check how it turns by the kicker...and then with the plugs out...so we tried...it was a little stiff..so i pulled out the oil fill on the primary cover, and felt the chain..it was tight...not like a guitar string but tight.
I read in the book that it needs 5/8 play...Damn sound loose but called around and thats what the play was..so I adjusted that. Put the battery back in and click click...

Charged the battery again, load tested it (a few times) and it was good. DAMN...Put the battery back in and off and running...

timed the bike adjusted the carb a little,,,started fine a bunch of times.. then click click click...not in the selenoid just the starter relay...

checked all the wires they were good... tried it again..after a few min with the power on...and started like a brand new bike...Shut it off and left it just like that, let it sit for a day started back up no problem. I am thinking that I have a starter relay that is giveing me this problem...

Any ideas...

dabronco
19th June 2005, 05:51
Sure sounds like it. Also when it's acting up, start feeling all the connection points for heat. You describe an intermittant problem and that screams poor connection. Now a poor connection can be a crimped terminal, or the contacts in your relay or solenoid, or your ground path. No matter where it is, a poor connection that is trying to pass alot of current WILL get warm.

Sleevedfreak
19th June 2005, 16:01
I am changeing out the wires from the relay to the selenoid today. Like I said they are crap...I will check all the connections again...I am also rigging a volt meter at the relay to see if there is any current pass thru when i only get the click...
Problem with that is it might start and no click...then I will have to go rideing...

Happy Fathers Day all....