PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the chain tension

lexterminator
21st June 2005, 15:44
Guys, I adjusted the chain on my bike but I guess I did not get the tightest spot on the chain. I have a bit of whining, not very loud but it's present. Shift's great, no clunk like I use to have when I got the bike out of the dealer. The thing is I put a chrome cover on top of my transmission and it's a hassle to take off and I was hoping to not touch that before next spring (I don't do a lot of mileage every summer). With that cover on I don't have access to my inspection cover.

Is there a way to adjust it by ear ? Is there a trick ? Can I have the bike running until it's hot, then put the bike at neutral and play with the chain tension screw while the bike is running ? Or do I need to turn off the engine, turn the tension screw a bit, then start the bike again to see if it stille whines ? How much increments I should turn the screw (1/4 turn ? 1/2 turn) at the time ?

Thanks for your help.

cantolina
21st June 2005, 16:05
Guys, I adjusted the chain on my bike but I guess I did not get the tightest spot on the chain. I have a bit of whining, not very loud but it's present. Shift's great, no clunk like I use to have when I got the bike out of the dealer. The thing is I put a chrome cover on top of my transmission and it's a hassle to take off and I was hoping to not touch that before next spring (I don't do a lot of mileage every summer). With that cover on I don't have access to my inspection cover.

Is there a way to adjust it by ear ? Is there a trick ? Can I have the bike running until it's hot, then put the bike at neutral and play with the chain tension screw while the bike is running ? Or do I need to turn off the engine, turn the tension screw a bit, then start the bike again to see if it stille whines ? How much increments I should turn the screw (1/4 turn ? 1/2 turn) at the time ?

Thanks for your help.

That sux man....I guess sometimes "pretty" has its downsides....

I can't really get behind an idea like that.....the whining DOES SEEM to indicate a tight primary, but I'd be leery of adjusting what I can't see....

If you are sold on this idea, you are going about it in a logical direction....

I would turn no more than 1/4 turn before trying it again...

Also, remember that sometimes (if you're not careful) you can actually tighten the tensioner while tightening the lock nut...... You have to keep the allen wrench in the end of the tensioner bolt and hold it to ensure it doesn't move...

I know that makes properly adjusting the torque difficult (if not impossible), but you'll just have to get used to how much torque that is, and feel your way with an open-end wrench or crescent wrench....a little loc-tite won't hurt, either....

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes....

Personally, I would take the cover off and do it by the book, but......if you must do it the way you've described, please be careful....

"There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it again" ;)

Shu
21st June 2005, 16:12
You sure can adjust it with the bike warm and running in nuetral. If it is just slightly whinning, you will most likely only need about 1/8 of a turn and it'll stop.

Isn't it amazing how smooth the trans shifts and no more clunks with the chain slightly whining? :) Too bad that is not good on the chain:(

lexterminator
21st June 2005, 16:20
I'll give it a try ! I'll let you know guys. I juste hope I did not damage something, I'm running like that for about 600km (370 miles) :( I thought the sound was kind of normal but after reading postings, I'm getting a bit of a whine.

Shu
21st June 2005, 16:36
You should have any damge in that short of a time. All it could do is stretch the chain a little. Just get her all warmed up (the trans from riding), then loosen the chain a little and you'll hear the whine stop even at idle.

Chuck
22nd June 2005, 03:28
I have adjusted mine while running and by ear last year. As you tighten it you will hear it get louder then back it off. This year I thought it sounded a like it was whining to much and backed it off some. I still hear it, I think they all whine some. The longer I own the bike the more I hear things.

Vicente Josť
23rd June 2005, 23:36
I checked my chain at first time (8000 km) . I find two tightest spots, but difference between these spots and the more relaxed positions is greater than 8 mm (a bit less than 3/8). This is usually correct ????

lexterminator
24th June 2005, 04:09
Thanks Shu, it worked well ! It cut the whine by 90%, dead quiet compared to before, still shifts good, not as sharp like before but still very good and no clunck ! :tour I had to backed it out a bit less than 1/4 turn.

I think there is always a bit of a whine (I tested further down the screw), but very very little when you twist the throttle.