PDA

View Full Version : Can exhausts for 2004+ be made to fit earlier bikes?

arenalife
2nd October 2007, 02:04
Hi, new to sportsters and harleys in general. I've just got a 98 and have seen some lush vance and hines pipes for the rubber mount bikes but a limited selection for the pre 04 bikes. What's stopping the fitment of later exhausts? The only I can see so far is the different position of the rear brake master cylinder (if it is), maybe it would foul the later pipes. Has anyone fitted 'later; pipes on a frame mount?

cheers

Folkie
2nd October 2007, 02:14
They fit to the exhaust ports OK, but yes, you're right, the problem is the rear brake master cylinder. Also, on the rubbermounts the pipes mount only to the engine; you may need to modify the bracket(s), or fab new ones, to get them to fit to a rigid mount.

jwb
2nd October 2007, 07:44
.............. . Has anyone fitted 'later; pipes on a frame mount?

cheers

I have a stock 05 exhaust that I am going to mount on my 02.

It looks like their will be interference with the rear brake system that must be dealt with.

The new mounting bracket/crossover pipe fastens to the engine at the same location as the master cylinder (mc) and will interfere with both the mounting of the mc and the alignment of the brake pedal/push-rod.

Keeping the brake system where it is may require welding a new mounting point to the new mounting bracket/crossover pipe.

There also may be interference issues between the location of the new mufflers and existing brake system.

This will be a winter project for me.

:chtwo

Folkie
2nd October 2007, 09:09
I have a stock 05 exhaust that I am going to mount on my 02.

It looks like their will be interference with the rear brake system that must be dealt with.

The new mounting bracket/crossover pipe fastens to the engine at the same location as the master cylinder (mc) and will interfere with both the mounting of the mc and the alignment of the brake pedal/push-rod.

Keeping the brake system where it is may require welding a new mounting point to the new mounting bracket/crossover pipe.

There also may be interference issues between the location of the new mufflers and existing brake system.

This will be a winter project for me.

:chtwoThat's a heck of a lot of work to fit a stock exhaust! What's your motivation? Is it the hidden crossover?

jwb
2nd October 2007, 22:36
That's a heck of a lot of work to fit a stock exhaust! What's your motivation? Is it the hidden crossover?

Yes, I want the hidden crossover.

Also, the Straight Shots that are on the bike now are way to loud for my tender ears.

So I kill two birds with one stone.:clap

Deimus
3rd October 2007, 00:25
...to get them to fit to a rigid mount.

Folkie, I'm surprised you said "rigid mount". Remember the long debate about "rigid" being most commonly used to describe the rear end and not the engine mounting. "Solid mount" and "frame mount" are better. :)

Deimus
3rd October 2007, 00:29
Yes, I want the hidden crossover.

Also, the Straight Shots that are on the bike now are way to loud for my tender ears.

So I kill two birds with one stone.:clap

Well if you do get the stock '05 pipes to work and you find the stock slip-ons too restrictive then you can either do the Gronk mod to them or you could put SE street performance slip-ons on them to get the power back without the excess noise.

Folkie
3rd October 2007, 00:32
Folkie, I'm surprised you said "rigid mount". Remember the long debate about "rigid" being most commonly used to describe the rear end and not the engine mounting. "Solid mount" and "frame mount" are better. :)I hang my head in shame. :o

wagoneer12
3rd October 2007, 01:29
well going the other way...I ordered drag pipes for my 04' a few years back....

supposed to be for an 04.....

got them in the mail, and the tag said 86-03XL.

I tried them and the worked fine. Been on for two years. Bolted right up.

Left the hidden crossover bracket on the bike to support the pipes to.

jwb
3rd October 2007, 03:49
Well if you do get the stock '05 pipes to work and you find the stock slip-ons too restrictive then you can either do the Gronk mod to them or you could put SE street performance slip-ons on them to get the power back without the excess noise.

Good thought, I'll keep it in mind.

I would like to keep the performance of the high-flow setup.

jwb
3rd October 2007, 03:53

Did the drag pipes have fake ports to match the hidden crossover bracket?

How did that work?

paulmo
20th November 2007, 03:23
I fitted '04 up Hooker Troublemakers to my '02 by relocating the master cylinder up 3" and forward 2", bending the actuating rod, and making a new exhaust mounting bracket. I am PVM4070@OPTONLINE.NET and will email the photographed procedure to anyone who wants it. I had to have that exhaust because it's almost exactly like the V&H Big Radius for big twins. It sounds very good with the baffles in. With the baffles out you can only hear it for 5 seconds, then you're deaf.

Folkie
20th November 2007, 08:45
Did the drag pipes have fake ports to match the hidden crossover bracket?

How did that work?

:chtwoIf the drag pipes are for '86-'03 then they don't have crossover ports; the crossover tube just won't connect to anything.

flap
28th November 2007, 22:39
I have a 2-1 Supertrapp supermeg for 04 up on my 93 . I had to put a small dent in the forward pipe to clear the downtube on the frame and modify the existing rear muffler mount. The master cyl wasn't a problem on mine. Sorry, no picture as I haven't enough posts.

Chris

Harleyvarna
8th December 2007, 16:44
well going the other way...I ordered drag pipes for my 04' a few years back....

supposed to be for an 04.....

got them in the mail, and the tag said 86-03XL.

I tried them and the worked fine. Been on for two years. Bolted right up.

That's interesting! Wish there was info available regarding the EXACT differences between years and what can be done to "adapt" late model pipes to my '89. Seems like all the "deals" out there are now for 2004 and up models.....

I guess the "old" bikes are kinda forgotten now, at least I don't see many "pre 2004" exhaust systems listed....

Dennis

Bully
15th December 2007, 09:09
I got a set of the 04 hooker troublemaker's on my 87. I also bought the forward controls with the attached master. It was costly but i love em. And yes you do have to fab some new brackets.

Bully
21st December 2007, 07:46
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/DirtyDozenKennel/playinaround029.jpg

Fackler Rebel
21st December 2007, 17:12
Hell, I call mine a rigid mount cause the engine is part of the frame and it's all tied together. They handle better than the (what kind of name is this for someone who rides motorcycles?) rubber mount. My girl has a trap door transmission, and doesn't have all that computerized crap, just like my old 77 Chevy pickup.

Stuck in Kuwait without my Sportster