PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead I wanna go lower

bigtsdad
15th August 2010, 21:13
I'm not really sure the best way to go about taking the bike down some. It seems like the rear is simple... shorter shocks. How short can I go? I'd like to get rid of as much of the gap between the fender and the rear tire as I safely can. If I understand what I've read here, dropping the rear will increase the trail. With the rear going down I believe that raked triple trees will both drop the front and shorten up the trail. Is that a correct assumption? I have read that it's some peoples opinions that the only correct way to rake the bike is to cut the frame but that isn't something I'm willing to do. Also, I'm not planning on extending the forks.

Ultimately what I'm looking for is low with a minimum of stretch. I'm guessing that even with the research I've done there are are options I'm not aware of so I was hoping to learn a few tricks if there are any.

Ok, let the enlightenment begin!

ezmerf
15th August 2010, 21:28
Go to bottom of pg and google bolt on rake are anything else and it'll give U alot of threads with the info UR lookin 4

ihone
15th August 2010, 21:57
Please excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't installing a set of raked trees increase the trail?

brassy63
15th August 2010, 22:03
Please excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't installing a set of raked trees increase the trail?

YES indeed it would increase trail

chadpm
16th August 2010, 09:40
The shocks on my 1985 measure about 10 3/4 eye to eye. I think they look great but a) they ride like crap, damn close to hard tail with almost no travel and b) my fender hits my swingarm seriously cracking the fender in a buch of places. I think I am going to go up to 12.5's.

tsbw
16th August 2010, 09:55
i can rake your frame for you i do it all the time at my shop along with hardtails conversions

undeadfred1
16th August 2010, 09:57
check out the burly brand slammer kit. looks pretty cool

Ivan RoachCoach
16th August 2010, 10:10
...as concerns about messing with the rake/trail mix, you're making a big deal out of nothing.

The change in height you're going to achieve isn't anywhere near being radical enough to even merit discussion of raked trees, frame stretching, or neck raking.
Your main concerns should be rideability and oil tank clearance with the chain.

If you want to REALLY eat up some of that gap between the rear fender and tire, mount the fender to your swingarm and cut it down some so that you achieve a nicer radius with the tire.
But now we're talking a bit of custom work, which is something that not a lot of guys on this board are willing to do. :frownthre :frownthre :frownthre

Skylar
16th August 2010, 10:29
Ivan knows the deal. My '72 sits low already and when I'm bombing down some bumpy Michigan pavement I already bottom out here and there. Smaller shocks aren't a good idea for daily drivers in my opinion. I'd bob and cut the fender.

Ivan RoachCoach
16th August 2010, 10:39
...shorter, but MUCH stiffer, than the cheap flimsy shit you usually find for Sportsters.

I have a pair of FLH 12-inchers on my '74, with full chrome covers, and they NEVER bottom out, even when I'm hopping curbs to take shortcuts on the sidewalk during rush hour traffic.

CTFS/QCB
Viva Los Bastardos!!!

Badong
16th August 2010, 10:50
Cut the front more than 3", and added a rear lowering block with the stock shocks. Definitely rougher than original but I really don't mind. I can't go through speed bumps that are too steep an angle - well any speed bump for that matter without scraping the bottom. But I never really bottom out on either the front or the back (165lbs., 5'7") not sure If i'm too short and not too heavy that's why I'm lucky. I've been riding it a year stock before I lowered it. I'm used to shitty handling bikes and I have to say I'm not really affected by the ride. It still feels a whole lot better than the old bikes I used to have. Hope that helped.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/badongers/lucky%2023/L23-a.jpg
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/badongers/lucky%2023/L23-b.jpg

Skylar
16th August 2010, 11:05
Badong that's a great stance.

I got a sick deal on some FLH shocks I have been thinking of bolting on there and seeing how they ride, they're the ones with the brass fittings on the top and the rubber shock boots on the bottom. The rear springs that came stock on the XLCH are the originals from '72 and don't really do much for the ride anymore.

brassy63
16th August 2010, 21:55
Cut the front more than 3", and added a rear lowering block with the stock shocks. Definitely rougher than original but I really don't mind. I can't go through speed bumps that are too steep an angle - well any speed bump for that matter without scraping the bottom. But I never really bottom out on either the front or the back (165lbs., 5'7") not sure If i'm too short and not too heavy that's why I'm lucky. I've been riding it a year stock before I lowered it. I'm used to shitty handling bikes and I have to say I'm not really affected by the ride. It still feels a whole lot better than the old bikes I used to have. Hope that helped.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/badongers/lucky%2023/L23-a.jpg
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/badongers/lucky%2023/L23-b.jpg

what a nice bike very tidt

Badong
16th August 2010, 22:43
Badong that's a great stance.

I got a sick deal on some FLH shocks I have been thinking of bolting on there and seeing how they ride, they're the ones with the brass fittings on the top and the rubber shock boots on the bottom. The rear springs that came stock on the XLCH are the originals from '72 and don't really do much for the ride anymore.

Thanks. Not too familiar with FLH shocks but sounds good to me.
what a nice bike very tidt

Thanks!