PDA

View Full Version : THE Hockey Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Sporting Lad
30th April 2009, 07:28
Ah, you fans of New York teams! You only love your teams when they're
winning. :p Hey, didn't your Rangers win the Stanley Cup in 1994? Remember? Messier?
I know they did, because they beat my Canucks in NYC in the Game Seven
Grand Finale. :madtwo You think your life is hard? The Canucks have NEVER won The Cup! :cry1 But we don't give up. We keep on supporting them and paying outrageous prices for cheesy trinkets and souvenirs! :headbang

jkocjan
1st May 2009, 04:04
The Blackhawks sure arent lookin to good tonight

jkocjan
1st May 2009, 04:30
The Blackhawks sure arent lookin to good tonight

take that back. they just scored three in the third to tie it. Hopfully they can get one more

Sporting Lad
1st May 2009, 06:01
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/with_Canuck_flag_and_chrome_AC_baseplate_008_Small _.jpg

And The Canucks take Game One, Series Two.
Dare I say, they remain the only undefeated team? :shhhh
Sweep of Series One, and off to a good start in the second series.

We went to our local to watch the game on big screen and have supper.
Nice view of mountains and sea out the window, and inside the pub a great
view of Soumi Salo scoring the winning goal. Does it get better than this? :wonderlan
We walked home in warm weather, silhouetted by the setting sun.
Ah, Playoff time! :D

Quebeker
1st May 2009, 11:31
Dare I say, they remain the only undefeated team? :shhhh

You can dare but you'd be wrong.:p
Boston and Detroit haven't lost yet.

Gone
1st May 2009, 15:16
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/sportsterideragogo/DSC01811.jpg

Game one is tonight! LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!

.....now I just have to find a bar that has Versus, so I can watch it:frownthre

miagi3
1st May 2009, 23:12
Well round 2 begins tonight for the B's. Boston pretty much owned this team this year outscoring them 18-6 but they played much better down the stretch and hey they beat the Devil's. This should prove to be a good series, both teams skate well but Boston is well rested and Carolina just played a tough 7 games. I'm an unabashed homer so I predict Bruins in 5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Vn35Ybr90&feature=related

Sporting Lad
2nd May 2009, 08:19
You can dare but you'd be wrong.:p
Boston and Detroit haven't lost yet.

Huh. Well, I stand corrected. It's just that it seemed like it took a long time
for those teams to wrap up their series, I figgered they must have lost at least
one apiece. All your games start too early for us coasters to watch. :rolleyes:
And I'm not in any pools this year....:frownthre

miagi3
2nd May 2009, 13:47
Huh. Well, I stand corrected. It's just that it seemed like it took a long time
for those teams to wrap up their series, I figgered they must have lost at least
one apiece. All your games start too early for us coasters to watch. :rolleyes:
And I'm not in any pools this year....:frownthre

Here's an update for ya mate. Bruins dominated the Canes last night 4-1. That put an end to any questions of rust after an eight day layoff. Chara absolutely shut down Eric Stall whenever he was on the ice. So far so good

Quebeker
2nd May 2009, 13:56
I'm an unabashed homer so I predict Bruins in 5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Vn35Ybr90&feature=related

Nobody could ever accuse me of being a Bruins fan and I did say 2 weeks ago that the Bruins would win the Cup.

holesnipe
2nd May 2009, 14:01
Wing's win. this one will be a long tough series. hope hudler has some teeth left after that cheep shot he took... put your broom's away folk's, as mickey redmond would say... love to see boston and detroit in the finals. original six team's to cool.

Gone
2nd May 2009, 17:00
I disagree, that wasn't a cheap shot. (bear in mind, I'm a huge Detroit fan, and Huds is one of my favorite players) Hudler wasn't paying attention, when he had the puck, in the playoffs, against the freakin Ducks-and he paid for it. 8 stitches, but he came back into the game. (there was also the retaliation factor-Huds had that elbowing penalty earlier)

The Ducks are going to find that it's a lot harder to intimidate the Wings than San Jose was. Sunday's going to see some fists flying at the Joe, is my prediction.

Wasn't it cool seeing Ericson throwing punches, on Cory Perry? :p

Wings in 7

holesnipe
2nd May 2009, 20:31
you are probably right. hud's is a tough little bugger and ericson can fight. sunday afternoon shood be interesting. i can do without versus and nbc covering hockey, rather see ken and mickey call the game. going riding...:smoke:smoke

Cosmo Kramer
2nd May 2009, 21:03
Just in...Brown will not be suspended for the hit last night. It was borderline in my opinion from whether it was dirty or not. The more they show it in slow-motion the more I think it is dirty :laugh But Hudler definitely was admiring the pass he just made.

Nicklas Lidstrom saved our rearends in that game. The captain came through in fine fashion....although still weird seeing the "C" on his jersey. I miss "The Captain". :(

Gone
4th May 2009, 03:57
Well, they lost. Can't really get too down on the boys though-they ran em to a triple overtime.

Sporting Lad
6th May 2009, 04:49
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/with_Canuck_flag_and_chrome_AC_baseplate_008_Small _.jpg

Whew! Canucks finally found a way to prevent those Comeback Kids from Chicago from coming back in the third period again. Vancouver up two games
to one with Chicago's first defeat on home ice in the playoffs. Another game
in Chigo, then it's home to the coast for one or two. Oh, speaking of comebacks, all the injured Canuck players will be back.

Gone
6th May 2009, 06:18
I have never seen so much punk pu**y officiating in a hockey game!

Not to take anything away from the Ducks-they outplayed us tonight-but they certainly had a lot of help from the lame-ass zebras.

WTF!!??!!?? about covers it, I think

Cosmo Kramer
6th May 2009, 14:51
Well I didn't stay up to watch the game but I did wake up with 5 minutes left in the game and the "no goal". Apparently we should have Ozzie change out his red pants and pads for black ones! The Ref was right there....how the heck did he not see that puck loose behind the goalie?? Hard enough to score one goal with only a minute and change left, let alone try to score two!

sportsterdude.248
6th May 2009, 15:13
I stayed up to watch that crap... The wings were robbed an overtime. What a shame.

Gone
8th May 2009, 03:52
Chicago wins in OT!

Gone
8th May 2009, 04:36
F'N VERSUS!!!:censor:censor:censor:censor:censor:censo r:censor

I'm having to listen to the game on the webcast radio. Better than nothing, I guess. Franzen is on fire!

Gone
8th May 2009, 06:12
Red Wings 6, Ducks 3

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!

Phaedrus
8th May 2009, 12:39
I can't believe that no one has brought up the coyote's chapter 11 and RIM (blackberry) purchase of the Team to move them to Kitchener Waterloo (where I live)

What do you all think of that?

Jim Balsilie has tried twice before to purchase a team and was rebuffed.
Now it looks like he's done an end run around Bettman. It will be interesting to see if this is a check mate move

Cosmo Kramer
8th May 2009, 13:19
Red Wings 6, Ducks 3

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!

Now that looked like the wings I know!! The Franzen, Hossa, Flipulla line was just outstanding! Good to see Hossa on the scoreboard....hopefully this will get him going.

I can't believe that no one has brought up the coyote's chapter 11 and RIM (blackberry) purchase of the Team to move them to Kitchener Waterloo (where I live)

I saw an interview with Bettman and he was PISSED about the end around to try and circumvent him. He then said that the coyotes will not be in Ontario, Canada. A quote from Bettman: "The two most important issues for any sports league are, who owns its franchises and where its clubs are located"

I know being in Buffalo that the Sabres are not happy because they consider Ontario part of their market (they say 20% of the attendence at games is from Ontario, Canada) and I am sure Detroit feels the same way (possibly Toronto too??).

Unfortunately, as I understand it the NHL must approve any relocation but that is the battle right now....who has the authority. I think the NHL is going to win this fight as the Coyotes are a franchise of the NHL and therefore have to abide by their regulations and policies. Should be interesting.

Gone
8th May 2009, 15:16

Jim Balsilie has tried twice before to purchase a team and was rebuffed.
Now it looks like he's done an end run around Bettman. It will be interesting to see if this is a check mate move

I know that Gretzky has stated that if the team ends up in Canada, he will not be going with it.

hogmoss
8th May 2009, 17:17
Just found this thread, GO WINGS/CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cosmo Kramer
8th May 2009, 17:31
So who do you want in the finals?....or who will be in the finals?

I am hoping for Canes / Wings. I know the father of one of the Canes players and they are from MI...so it would make his life easier! Plus he has a good kid so I pull for him.

Gone
8th May 2009, 17:43
I want to see Jiri Hudler skating with the Stanley Cup again!

Barring a Wings cup, I wouldn't mind seeing the Blackhawks get it.

Cosmo Kramer
8th May 2009, 18:00
Barring a Wings cup, I wouldn't mind seeing the Blackhawks get it.

Yeah...would be good for that team/organization for sure. Plus Pat Kane is from Buffalo! :D

hogmoss
8th May 2009, 18:03
[QUOTE=Cosmo Kramer;1917685]So who do you want in the finals?....or who will be in the finals?

I am hoping for Canes / Wings. I know the father of one of the Canes players and they are from MI...so it would make his life easier! Plus he has a good kid so I pull for him.[/QUOTE

Wings/Caps, just don't want the Pens to make it!

Cosmo Kramer
8th May 2009, 18:40
just don't want the Pens to make it!

+1. You would swear Crosby and Co. already have the cup at their homes with their names on it the way the Versus/ESPN/NBC/etc. talk about them. My favorite is the commercial on Versus where it shows the Pens beating the wings in OT last year to force a game 6 and how amazing it was. Congrats...you still lost the series! :D

Why don't they show the Wings in 97' losing one of their best defensemen(only better would be Nick L.) and one of the best in the league to a horrific car accident and then coming back and winning it the next season with Yzerman giving the cup to Vlady? in a wheelchair? Hard enough to repeat let alone do it minus one of your top players.

I have nothing againest Crosby and Co....they have great young talent and they are good players. But a lot of teams have had great young talent and never won a thing. I just hate the hype.

nightkid3
8th May 2009, 18:41
Go Oilers.

Converted Rice
8th May 2009, 18:59
Goooooo Wings :clap

From one who lives about 50 miles west of Detroit

sportsterdude.248
8th May 2009, 19:07
Red Wings regain home ice..... Let's go red wings, Let's go red wings,Let's go red wings, Let's go red wings,

Gone
8th May 2009, 19:20

Where ya at 'Rice? I'm in Morenci, southwestern corner of Lenawee Co.

hogmoss
8th May 2009, 19:30
+1. You would swear Crosby and Co. already have the cup at their homes with their names on it the way the Versus/ESPN/NBC/etc. talk about them. My favorite is the commercial on Versus where it shows the Pens beating the wings in OT last year to force a game 6 and how amazing it was. Congrats...you still lost the series! :D

Why don't they show the Wings in 97' losing one of their best defensemen(only better would be Nick L.) and one of the best in the league to a horrific car accident and then coming back and winning it the next season with Yzerman giving the cup to Vlady? in a wheelchair? Hard enough to repeat let alone do it minus one of your top players.

I have nothing againest Crosby and Co....they have great young talent and they are good players. But a lot of teams have had great young talent and never won a thing. I just hate the hype.

AGREED!! The days of the Dream Team!!!

I used to like Crosby when he first was making himself a name, as the season progressed it seems like it's going to his head. Could just be me but he seems to be acting more and more like a spoiled kid.

hogmoss
8th May 2009, 19:32

Sooooooo jealous, the closest I've been was Chicago last season; tried to get tickets but they were sold out.

"Make A Wish" dream - See the Wings beat the Avs at the Joe!!!!

Gone
8th May 2009, 19:37
AGREED!! The days of the Dream Team!!!

I used to like Crosby when he first was making himself a name, as the season progressed it seems like it's going to his head. Could just be me but he seems to be acting more and more like a spoiled kid.

Crosby has always reminded me of that other over hyped prima donna Sergei Federov. He's being hyped because he does have a lot of talent-though I don't think as much as he's being billed as, he's young (future of the league???), and he's a good looking kid. (well, he's a good looking kid by HOCKEY standards;)

So yeah, all of the press he's getting is undoubtedly going to his head.

Me? I think I'll stick with ugly 'ol Pavel Datsyuk

dragon62
9th May 2009, 02:43
yeah man....Pens crush Ovechkin the Queer's Caps.......but his cheap knee shot took out Gonchar........it may be a suspension worthy cheap ass shot.......:angry:angry:angry.....:D:D

Quebeker
9th May 2009, 13:01
Wow!
Is Boston done?
I can't believe they can't Beat Carolina.

In their history, 21 times has Boston fell behind 3 games to 1 in a playoff round.
They never came back to win one.

Cosmo Kramer
9th May 2009, 13:52
Wow!
Is Boston done?
I can't believe they can't Beat Carolina.

Boston is in tough shape...they have quite a hill to climb but they also have 2 of the last 3 games at home. That should help (although they lost game 2 at home to the Canes).

Remember, it was only 3 years ago that the Canes won the cup. Most of that team is still intact....they have been through all of this and I think they are better than the regular season and playoff standings show.

Gone
11th May 2009, 05:28
WHOO!!!

Detroit WINS!

Gone
11th May 2009, 05:56
WHOO!!!

Detroit WINS!

DETROIT ROCKS!:clap

racerwill
11th May 2009, 05:59
http://www.skate2stick.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/bruins-logo.jpg

still alive....... but could be better

Ww

Gone
12th May 2009, 04:20
This Hawks/Canucks series is turning out to be a lot of fun to watch!

Cosmo Kramer
12th May 2009, 04:31
This Hawks/Canucks series is turning out to be a lot of fun to watch!

11 goals!...this game is insane.

Edit: Spoke too soon....Pat Kane makes it 12 goals and a hat trick for him! Atta boy!! Crosby/Malkin/etc who?

Koot
12th May 2009, 04:49
Congratulations to the Hawks, a strong young team that plays hard and skates fast.

In the playoffs, where it really counts, Luongo has yet to live up to his reputation.

Koot :frownone

Gone
12th May 2009, 04:52
How about getting your first career Hat Trick in a playoff game???? An elimination game at that!

Sporting Lad
12th May 2009, 05:12

:cry1 Well, that's hockey, eh? And the Canuck's entire history: Unpredictable. Sometimes brilliant, other times total DUDs. :madtwo :drinkup:headbang But at least tonight it looked like they tried to win....
:boohoo So "The League" decides that it's OK to fight-- And there's some Canuck just trying to put the puck in the net, and some guy from Chicago skates up, grabs him in a headlock, and starts punching him in the head! And there's no call?? What's up with that? And running the goalie? That's got to stop before somebody gets seriously injured. :frownthre

So now I can start riding my Sportster :tour on these nice spring evenings instead of wasting my time sitting in front of telly watching those stupid stupid hockey games! :p

Cosmo Kramer
12th May 2009, 13:46
Seems every year the "running" of the goalie gets worst and worst. I personally think they should be "protected" in their blue paint and if they come out of it...they should be allowed to be hit just like any other player. For crying out loud...look at the pads they are wearing! Although I would extend the blue paint a little bit to each side of the net because right now it goes right to the post.

That or you put the ol' goal posts morings (sp?) back in! These were changed in the late 80's after Yzerman (who was the next Crosby back then lol) wrecked his knee (and some others) because the net didn't move when he slid into it after being tripped. But, it will probably take a serious injury before something is done.

miagi3
13th May 2009, 03:30
Well the B's are finally hitting thier stride and are playing the style of hockey that got them the 2nd best record in the NHL this year. They got away from thier game plan in games 2 through 4 and it put them in a hole. But good teams find a way to win when they are up against it and I believe game seven at home will prove to be just another stepping stone to the finals. They played a well disciplined game even though I'm sure they wanted to put Scott Walker through the boards if given the chance. They'll settle for sending the canes to the golf course instead. GO B'S !!!

Gone
13th May 2009, 05:58

:boohoo So "The League" decides that it's OK to fight-- And there's some Canuck just trying to put the puck in the net, and some guy from Chicago skates up, grabs him in a headlock, and starts punching him in the head! And there's no call?? What's up with that? And running the goalie? That's got to stop before somebody gets seriously injured. :frownthre

When did the league decide that it's OK to fight? The NHL really needs to take a serious look at their inconsistent referees, and the decisions they're making.

They are turning the NHL into a gentleman's game-and hockey isn't a gentleman's game.

dragon62
14th May 2009, 03:05
Pens break Varlamov and Ovechkin's Caps 6-2......good-bye.....the march continues....:D:D

http://img.fannation.com/upload/si_blog_post_images/26141/crosby.jpg

Sporting Lad
14th May 2009, 06:25
When did the league decide that it's OK to fight? The NHL really needs to take a serious look at their inconsistent referees, and the decisions they're making.
They are turning the NHL into a gentleman's game-and hockey isn't a gentleman's game.

Wayne Gretzky turned hockey into a gentleman's game, and the league was better for it. With him gone, the game is back to the thugs and the goon
squads. It's open season on the skilled players who are left unprotected.
The options seem to be to fight, run away, or end up as a cripple.
The Owners have been giving tacit approval to fighting for years because "the fans like it."

I agree, the refs need to make the calls consistently. There seems to be a lot more high sticking these days. I also think the crease should be for goalies only. Should the goalie leave his crease (under his own power! :p}
then he's fair game. But an opposing player going into the crease gets penalized. Good, hard, clean hits should be part of the game. The game can be rough without all the dangerous stickwork or deliberate attempts to injure the goalie.

I don't think they called more penalties in the '80s than they do now, but the game was a lot more entertaining to watch. Fewer stoppages; more non-stop action. It was a faster game.
Every team had a designated enforcer and nobody messed with the really skilled players who were left to do what they do best, while the enforcers did their jobs--and that was keeping the game clean by fighting, our enforcer vs. the other team's enforcer. It was an "unwritten rule" and it worked.
No body got really hurt, and it was good hockey. For at least a decade now I just haven't found watching hockey to be that entertaining.
But then I've been watching a lot of Vancouver games.... :rolleyes:
Maybe the final battles of the "final two" will be more fun to watch.
I just hope they play hockey, not some "So You Think You're Tough" match.
:frownthre
That's the way I see it. Keep it simple:
"Put the rubber thing into the string thing." :D

Cosmo Kramer
14th May 2009, 13:40
Every team had a designated enforcer and nobody messed with the really skilled players who were left to do what they do best, while the enforcers did their jobs--and that was keeping the game clean by fighting, our enforcer vs. the other team's enforcer. It was an "unwritten rule" and it worked.
No body got really hurt, and it was good hockey.

Wayne Gretzky turned hockey into a gentleman's game, and the league was better for it. With him gone, the game is back to the thugs and the goon
squads. It's open season on the skilled players who are left unprotected.
The options seem to be to fight, run away, or end up as a cripple.
The Owners have been giving tacit approval to fighting for years because "the fans like it."

You are right...in the 70's, 80's and part of the early 90's there were enforcers that protected skilled players.

Personally since his 80's Cups...I think Gretzky has done more damage than good to the league by opposing fighting. One reason Gretzky got the amazing numbers he did during his career was because no one would touch him because of Dave Semenko and Marty McSorley. Like you said....his enforcers. Gretzky has spoken out that fighting has no place in the NHL....interesting from a guy who couldn't protect his grandma from a 8yr old girl stealing her purse. Face it guys...if you heard there was a domestic dispute and the police were called to Gretzky's house...you would assume that Janet was kicking his rearend!

What all this boils down to is in 92'-93' the league changed for the worst. The good ol' Instigator Rule was brought to NHL. Previously, if someone laid wood on a star player....took a run at him....ran the goalie....etc...he would get his rearend handed to him during the next shift he was on the ice if not on the same shift. Hockey was cleaner because of fighting! That's right....I said it. Being a Detroit fan all my life we had a couple of the great enforcers in the late 80's....Joey Kocur and Bob Probert (before his cocaine days).

Now players are afraid to start a fight because of the instigator rule and the possibility of putting the opposing team on a 2-minute power play. The further away you get from fighting the uglier the hockey gets. I love college hockey and I watch it all the time. but have you ever watched it?? Holy crap is the stick work outrageous! Because they hide behind there little full face shields and fighting is pretty rare.

dragon62
14th May 2009, 22:41
Pens break Varlamov and Ovechkin's Caps 6-2......good-bye.....the march continues....:D:D

http://img.fannation.com/upload/si_blog_post_images/26141/crosby.jpg

did I mention they chased Varlamov out of net after leading them thru their post season....:D:D

Quebeker
15th May 2009, 00:58
The Pens are the 1st team since 97-98 to return to a Conference Final after being a Cup finalist, Detroit was the last one to do so.
And one Cup Finalist has returned to the Finals since New Jersey in 2000-01.
And Detroit was also the last to win the Cup 2 years in a row, 96-97 and 97-98.

dragon62
15th May 2009, 03:11
The Pens are the 1st team since 97-98 to return to a Conference Final after being a Cup finalist, Detroit was the last one to do so.
And one Cup Finalist has returned to the Finals since New Jersey in 2000-01.
And Detroit was also the last to win the Cup 2 years in a row, 96-97 and 97-98.

could be the rematch of the ages.......:D:D

putter288
15th May 2009, 04:56
it will be Stall vs stall in the conference finales
pens and cains
lets go pens

i just want to see the pens win the cup and watch the reaction of Hossa

Gone
15th May 2009, 08:11
Great GOOGITY-GOO!!!

WINGS WIN IN SEVEN!!!!

What a series! Being the huge Wings fan that I unabashedly am, it's hard for me to admit that the Ducks are a hell of a team-but they are. Hell, their goalie scored our last goal for us-what a gentleman!

WINGS REPEAT!!!!!

Gone
15th May 2009, 08:12

He's going to be too busy hoisting the cup himself in JLA! ;)

Quebeker
15th May 2009, 21:04
could be the rematch of the ages.......:D:D

The last rematch was Montreal-Calgary and there was a few years in between and the 2 teams taking 1 each.
The last rematch, back to back was Montreal-Boston, Montreal taking both Cups, in 76-77 and 77-78.

dragon62
15th May 2009, 21:10
The last rematch was Montreal-Calgary and there was a few years in between and the 2 teams taking 1 each.
The last rematch, back to back was Montreal-Boston, Montreal taking both Cups, in 76-77 and 77-78.

there you go again with another awesome stat.....way to go...:D:D

dragon62
15th May 2009, 21:12
it will be Stall vs stall in the conference finales
pens and cains
lets go pens

yeah man....hopefully the Staal brothers won't be pillow fighting in the hallway....:D:D

Gone
15th May 2009, 21:15
Detroit+HomeIce=One More Cup!

hogmoss
15th May 2009, 21:24
Detroit+HomeIce=One More Cup!

WORD!!!

GO WINGS!!!!!

Gone
17th May 2009, 03:55
I can't seem to find out if CBC is going to be showing the Wings/Hawks matchup tomorrow. I know it's on Versus-unfortunately Versus isn't available for me.

Please, O' please, O' please someone tell me that CBC is going to show the game!

Koot
17th May 2009, 04:00
Please, O' please, O' please someone tell me that CBC is going to show the game!

You are in luck, they are. Hope we see some great games.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/Playoffs2009/schedule.html

Koot

Cosmo Kramer
17th May 2009, 04:21
You are in luck, they are. Hope we see some great games.

I checked Ch. 9 for detroit and it doesn't show the game scheduled. If it is or is not it doesn't matter....the game is on NBC (ch. 4 for detroit area) not versus.

Koot
17th May 2009, 05:21
Whoa! ... I re-read the schedule and CBC is not showing Sunday's game! It will be broadcast on TSN in Canada. Sorry about the screw-up :rolleyes:

Koot

Gone
18th May 2009, 01:05
Versus has the next couple-then CBC looks to be also carrying the rest of the series

Sporting Lad
18th May 2009, 08:48
Uh-oh-- Looks like Chicago's playing with the Big Boys now, eh?
Honestly, there's a part of me that's glad it's not the Canucks playing
Detriot. That might be just too painful to even watch.
Oh, haha. Look how I just misspelled Detroit: "Det-RIOT"!
Back in the '80s, when I was living in Edmonton and the Redwings weren't on top, we used to call them "The Detroit DEAD THINGS"! Haha.
And where are the Oilers now? Can't even make it into the playoffs anymore.
And where am I? In BC being a Canucks fan... :o

Cosmo Kramer
18th May 2009, 13:42
Back in the '80s, when I was living in Edmonton and the Redwings weren't on top, we used to call them "The Detroit DEAD THINGS"! Haha.

Lad, bring up ol' memories. That is when I first started watching hockey/Red Wings. "The Detroit Dead Things"....."The Dead Wings"....yep, they were awful for a very long stretch. Now I think we have made the playoffs for 18 yrs in a row or something like that. I think I am more impressed with Detroit's owners/scouting team/management to have kept them as contenders every year since atleast 95' when they got swept by the Devils. A lot harder to do nowadays with the free-agency and the money these guys make by going into that market.

holesnipe
21st May 2009, 03:10

Dude that whas a long time ago... dead what? DYNASTY BRO... GO WING'S.... :smoke:smoke:smoke

hogmoss
21st May 2009, 16:04
Canes or Pens???

Me - Canes

Of course I'm thinking about who I want to play Detroit, maybe I should change my answer so I can see 'ol Crosby wheep when the wings beat them...

Quebeker
22nd May 2009, 02:21
This is BS.
The Pens and Hurricanes are playing tonight only their 2nd game of this round.
The last round ended a :censor week ago.

These Conference Finals should have started last Saturday and there should be 1 game per night.
East one night, West the next. Repeat.

Cosmo Kramer
22nd May 2009, 02:43
These Conference Finals should have started last Saturday and there should be 1 game per night.
East one night, West the next. Repeat.

+1....I don't remember a series getting a two day break after only playing 1 game?!?!? :frownthre

If anyone should get a two day break it should be the West Conf. only...they cover about 3 times the area compared to the East (that never leave their own time zone until the Stanley Cup finals...and sometimes they don't then either).

rickxx
22nd May 2009, 03:11
6-4 pit over carolina....pits lookin' good.

big game for the hawks tomorrow....huge diff between 1-2 and 0-3.

rickxx
22nd May 2009, 03:12
make that 7-4

Gone
22nd May 2009, 05:22
The Hawks are a much better offensive threat than this series has shown them to be so far. I definitely believe we're going to see a Wings/Penguins final, but I don't think that the Wings will sweep the Hawks.

Crosby, or as the NHL would like us to call him: 'The second coming of Wayne Gretzky', better bring his big boy game! :p

Cosmo Kramer
22nd May 2009, 11:48
6-4 pit over carolina....pits lookin' good.

Actually....up until the third period I thought the Canes looked better. They were keeping constant pressure on the Pen in their zone. When Malkin scored his back-hander....and that was a great goal....seemed to take the air out of their sails. The real test is game 3. Pit winning the first 2 at home doesn't surprise me....but if Carolina loses a game 4 or 5 at home they are done...esp. game 4.

Quebeker
23rd May 2009, 01:29
He's got to have one more life left and then that's it.
So far he has coached 8 teams.
Flyers, Blackhawks, Rangers, Blues, Canucks, Bruins, Panthers and the Flames.

Cosmo Kramer
23rd May 2009, 01:48
Havlat was just knocked out by a hit from Kromall. Kromwall got a 5 minute interference major....sorry...it was a wicked hit and the kid got knocked out...but he was playing the puck that jumped over his stick and between his feet as Kromwall arrived. Don't see a penalty for that.

My question is where was the Chicago bench yelling at Havlat that Kromwall was coming??? He was about 5 feet from their bench! It is hockey...keep your head up.

Sporting Lad
23rd May 2009, 06:42
By the end of Round Two I was pretty mad at the Canucks for losing to Chicago.
But now I'm thinking that the Hawks may be better than most of the pundits gave them credit for. Maybe the Canucks weren't as bad as they looked.
Those kids on the Chicago side seem to be giving fits to The Wings as well!
They seem to skate pretty well, and they don't give up. They're young and don't look tired in overtime while other teams are complaining about "tired legs".
Not being a big fan of Wings, I think it would be fun to see an upset.
As unlikely as it seems....

As far as the scheduling of games goes-- I think it's the League's goal to drag the playoffs into July. Doesn't hockey in June seem weird enough??

jkocjan
23rd May 2009, 08:04
I'm a Hawks fan and to tell you the truth it looked like a clean hit to me. I was suprised he got a game misconduct for it

Ireeman
23rd May 2009, 08:10
He's got to have one more life left and then that's it.
So far he has coached 8 teams.
Flyers, Blackhawks, Rangers, Blues, Canucks, Bruins, Panthers and the Flames.
he ruined denis' savard. steam roll him i say.

besides if your going to try to be like Herb Brooks (aka bad ass) you better inspire talent. He has done nothing to do that. I PINE for Scotty. The Habs will put another up in the rafters again before the end of the decade.

Gone
24th May 2009, 05:15
Havlat was just knocked out by a hit from Kromall. Kromwall got a 5 minute interference major....sorry...it was a wicked hit and the kid got knocked out...but he was playing the puck that jumped over his stick and between his feet as Kromwall arrived. Don't see a penalty for that.

My question is where was the Chicago bench yelling at Havlat that Kromwall was coming??? He was about 5 feet from their bench! It is hockey...keep your head up.

There wasn't any difference between the Havlat hit (and subsequent injury) than the Hulder hit (and subsequent injury) in the Ducks series.

It shouldn't come as a great revelation that in playoff hockey, you should be paying attention when you're anywhere near the puck. Hudler f'd up, and so did Havlet-nuff said.

Guys like Kronwall and Stuart live for hits like that-because they're freaking HOCKEY PLAYERS! Calls like the Kronwall expulsion are simply further evidence of the NHL's continued campaign to pussify the game. PUSS-I-FY....

holesnipe
24th May 2009, 13:11
Worse call of the playoff's, the fan's called that one...

Cosmo Kramer
24th May 2009, 19:51
Ok...as I am watching the Canes/Pens game I hear the announcers say something about how these two teams only play one time in the next 5 days. "Surely you jest" I thought. Well here is the remaining schedule for each conference:

Western:
Game #4 - Sunday
Game #5 - Wednesday - 2 day break
Game #6 - Saturday - 2 day break
Game #7 - Monday

Eastern:
Game #3 - Saturday (Pens won)
Game #4 - Tuesday - 2 day break
Game #5 - Friday - 2 day break
Game #6 - Sunday
Game #7 - Tuesday

So there are 3 times that they are off for 2 days in these series?!?!?!? What the he:censor is the NHL doing?? How freakin' stupid. One of the great things about getting to the conference finals is that you have hockey on every night...well atleast once upon a time we did. :doh

-1 for the NHL...actually -3 since there are 3 different 2 day breaks. Pretty soon Bettmen is going to have them wearing sun dresses, flip-flops and running around with plastic spoons! :frownthre:frownthre:frownthre

Quebeker
24th May 2009, 21:45
So there are 3 times that they are off for 2 days in these series?!?!?!? What the he:censor is the NHL doing?? How freakin' stupid. One of the great things about getting to the conference finals is that you have hockey on every night...well atleast once upon a time we did. :doh

-1 for the NHL...actually -3 since there are 3 different 2 day breaks. Pretty soon Bettmen is going to have them wearing sun dresses, flip-flops and running around with plastic spoons! :frownthre:frownthre:frownthre

Actually, as soon as the playoffs start, there should be hockey every single night until they get to the Finals.

And I hate the "the buildings have other events scheduled" excuse.
The hockey side should have priority.

I think the Finals now will start on June 7th if I remember correctly.
If it goes to 7, there could be a game officially played during the summer season.

Once in a GD while, the league should listen and talk to the GD fans.
Already hard enough to be interested in playoffs my team ain't in, now I'm supposed to watch hockey games in the summer.

BTW, as of this writing, Hawks are in trouble. 4-1 for Detroit in the 2nd.

holesnipe
25th May 2009, 14:22
wing's in five. hawks showed there age in third period... :smoke:smoke:smoke

Gone
25th May 2009, 15:19
They sure did. I hope Lidstrom gets back on the ice soon. We'll need him in the next series!

Phaedrus
25th May 2009, 15:39
Detroit is killing me in my hockey pool, I'm firmly in 3rd place with players on three teams (but not detroit)

Gone
25th May 2009, 22:37
Detroit is killing me in my hockey pool, I'm firmly in 3rd place with players on three teams (but not detroit)

Looks like you Ontarioanians (???...lol) might very well be getting the Coyotes soon. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Cosmo Kramer
26th May 2009, 03:49
hawks showed there age in third period

I was working while watching the game in my home office and was surprised to see it was only the 2nd period and they were doing dumb sh:censor that you usually don't see until the last two minutes of the 3rd period in a blowout.

In game #3 the wings were down by 3 goals 45 seconds into the 2nd period....they acted a little differently! :D

I'm ready for game #5...when is it again?...August?? :frownthre

Cosmo Kramer
27th May 2009, 03:01
Well the Pens have moved on....the Canes couldn't do anything in that game or series. Every pass seemed to either meet a Pens stick or wasn't on mark. Their offense "Staal'd" And the opposite side of that was the Pens played great. Very impressive.

Come on Wings! Last chance to put the Pittsburgh Crosbies in their place!!

Edit:
Very interesting, Crosby carried the E. Conference trophy off the ice. Hopefully that is the last one he carries off the ice this year!!

cliff883
27th May 2009, 03:04
Well the Pens have moved on....the Canes couldn't do anything in that game or series. Every pass seemed to either meet a Pens stick or wasn't on mark. Their offense "Staal'd" And the opposite side of that was the Pens played great. Very impressive.

Come on Wings! Last chance to put the Pittsburgh Crosbies in their place!!

Sorry, but the Pens are taking it all the way this year.

dragon62
27th May 2009, 03:48
good bye Canes..... the march continues.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aZ547Y_APwM/SDN6ThleTbI/AAAAAAAAADI/8rD1Sno5Sy0/s400/eric-staal2.jpg........NOT.........:D:D

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ecXzac-ljd4/SNkpY69-RXI/AAAAAAAAA1U/zQjsWmyVLjM/s400/1.jpg.....:banana:banana

http://www.chuckthomas.com/pen99tow.jpg...:D:D

Quebeker
27th May 2009, 06:11
Edit:
Very interesting, Crosby carried the E. Conference trophy off the ice. Hopefully that is the last one he carries off the ice this year!!

He said they didn't touch it last year and lost in the Finals so they decided to try something different this year.

Cosmo Kramer
27th May 2009, 09:17
He said they didn't touch it last year and lost in the Finals so they decided to try something different this year.

Oh I understand why and heard the same thing when he went over and pick it up off the table. The problem is...if this doesn't work for them this year what do they do the next time?...just skate off the ice and don't even get a picture taken with it?? :D

Cosmo Kramer
27th May 2009, 17:39
Sorry, but the Pens are taking it all the way this year.

Don't count the rings on the cup before you get 4 more wins! :D

It is the playoffs...and after 20+ years of faithfully watching my Red Wings through their playoff trials and triumphs I know better than to say "they are taking it all the way". I'm lucky...in the last 14 years we have been to the stanley cup finals 5 times and won the cup 4 times. We have also been eliminated early in the playoffs after winning the President's trophy. That is what makes playoff hockey great...there are no guarantees...no matte what your last name is!

Pens are playing great hockey without a doubt and Malkin and Crosby have played great so far. Yeah, they have the experience of being there last year and losing it but they still don't have the experience that the Wings (crossing fingers that they beat the Hawks tonight) have in the same circumstance. Will be fun to watch! I just hope we don't skip 2 days between every freakin' game!

Quebeker
27th May 2009, 20:31
Roy stay in Quebec. (http://habsinsideout.com/main/20164)

Quebeker
28th May 2009, 03:15
Overtime...

Quebeker
28th May 2009, 03:20
We got ourselves a rematch.

dragon62
28th May 2009, 03:38
We got ourselves a rematch.

yes indeed........ but me thinks my boys are more up for the task this year....bring it.....

http://nbcsportsmedia.msnbc.com/j/NBCSports/Components/Video/_NEW/s_nhl_detpitpreview_090118_mezzn.300w.jpg.....:D:D

Cosmo Kramer
28th May 2009, 03:50
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/nyjeepman/2540067449_4766b7a0ef.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Going to be fun. And I almost fell over....back-to-back games?!?!? Going to be a great weekend for hockey!

Quebeker
28th May 2009, 03:51
I'm sorry but I made a mistake about the last rematch.
It was the Oilers and Islanders, early 80's.
Islanders winning in 82-83 vs the Oilers and the next season, Oilers won it.

dragon62
28th May 2009, 03:55
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/nyjeepman/2540067449_4766b7a0ef.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Going to be fun. And I almost fell over....back-to-back games?!?!? Going to be a great weekend for hockey!

you betcha......:D:D

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ecXzac-ljd4/SNkpY69-RXI/AAAAAAAAA1U/zQjsWmyVLjM/s400/1.jpg....:D:D

dragon62
28th May 2009, 03:56
I'm sorry but I made a mistake about the last rematch.
It was the Oilers and Islanders, early 80's.
Islanders winning in 82-83 vs the Oilers and the next season, Oilers won it.

we'll let you slide this time.....:D:D

Gone
28th May 2009, 04:12
WHOO!!!!

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!

Koot
28th May 2009, 04:17
Sorry to see the Hawks go down. .............. Or, more to the point sorry to see the Wings win.

Not that I really care much after seeing the Canukleheads implode, but I guess I got to root for the Pens.

:doh

Koot

snowman
28th May 2009, 12:33
WHOO!!!!

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!

X2!!!!:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

holesnipe
28th May 2009, 23:57
Sorry to see the Hawks go down. .............. Or, more to the point sorry to see the Wings win.

Not that I really care much after seeing the Canukleheads implode, but I guess I got to root for the Pens.

:doh

Koot
Wing's, the dynasty continues! sorry bro nobody like's a winner and a winner... regards to our 51st state. just kidding :smoke:smoke:smoke

holesnipe
29th May 2009, 00:04
I can hear it now. sid this, sid that. gag....:frownthre GO D....

Koot
29th May 2009, 05:42
Wing's, the dynasty continues! sorry bro nobody like's a winner and a winner...

Don't know about that, it's odd, I've always liked the NY Yankees and have a soft spot for the Habs, the two teams that really do deserve the dynasty title. My hockey memory goes way back in the six team league and I just never liked the Wings or the Rangers. Just the way it is :smoke

Go Pens :doh

Koot ;)

Quebeker
29th May 2009, 14:00
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e80/quebeker/quebeker/Red_Wings_Limo.jpg

DIESEL
29th May 2009, 15:07
LET'S GO PENS--First it was the Stillers, now the PENS, and I always hold out hope for the Pirates. Let's get the hat trick for the City of Champion.

snowman
29th May 2009, 15:35
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e80/quebeker/quebeker/Red_Wings_Limo.jpg

Yeah, buddy...

GO WINGS!!!!! :banana:banana

hogmoss
29th May 2009, 16:22
WHOO!!!!

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!

X3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quebeker
29th May 2009, 16:32
LET'S GO PENS--First it was the Stillers, now the PENS, and I always hold out hope for the Pirates. Let's get the hat trick for the City of Champion.

The Stillers?
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e80/quebeker/quebeker/050108_stiller_400X400.jpg
I thought they were from New York City.:laugh

snowman
31st May 2009, 03:49
Yeah, Wings!!!!

:banapart

hogmoss
31st May 2009, 06:21
Go Wings!!!!! Hopefully they keep it up tomorrow, I loved the look of misery on Crosbys' face after the third goal!!!

Tin Man 2
31st May 2009, 13:16
Classic battle the Young Hot Dogs against the Old Dogs. Cheap shot after the game by the kid crosby,maybe he will grow up for game two. Go Wings!!

kilroykarr
1st June 2009, 02:21
The game is on now if anyone forgot, 1 to 1 in the 2nd.

Tin Man 2
1st June 2009, 03:05
2 to 1 Wings, Start the 3rd. Good games!!

DKHAN
1st June 2009, 09:20
Glad to see pens and cindy lose again.
Interesting how malkin doesn't get penalized like real players in the nhl.
But that would only give pens another excuse f/losing.

Gone
1st June 2009, 12:04
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/sportsterideragogo/stanley2.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/sportsterideragogo/stanley1.jpg

I'm gonna love it when Stuart or Kronwall gets a piece of Cindy. It's about time the media realizes that he isn't the second coming of Gretzky, and pulls their collective tongues out of his butt.

snowman
1st June 2009, 12:15
Yeah, Wings!!!!

:banapart

What else can we say!!!!

sportsterdude.248
1st June 2009, 13:22
Is SYndy Crosby Bing's youngest daughter? Or is he the one from the Brady Bunch with pig tails? LET'S GO RED WINGSSSSSS.

Cosmo Kramer
1st June 2009, 15:53
Well the wings did what they had to do....held home ice advantage and won their games at home. Now we will see if the Pens do the same. Good games.

Interesting decision from the NHL and not surprising....ask yourself...if this was Thomas Holmstrom would the decision have been the same??:

"National Hockey League Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell issued the following statement regarding the instigator penalty assessed to Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin at 19:41 of the third period of tonight’s Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final:

Rule 47.22 states: "A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five minutes or at any time in overtime shall be suspended for one game, pending a review of the incident. The director of hockey operations will review every such incident and may rescind the suspension based on a number of criteria. The criteria for the review shall include, but not be limited to, the score, previous incidents, etc..."

Following that review, Campbell said: "None of the criteria in this rule applied in this situation. Suspensions are applied under this rule when a team attempts to send a message in the last five minutes by having a player instigate a fight. A suspension could also be applied when a player seeks retribution for a prior incident. Neither was the case here and therefore the one game suspension is rescinded."

NHL Hockey Operations also determined that Malkin should have been assessed a game misconduct for not having his jersey tied down."

Ummm.....:frownthre.....funny, I didn't see Malkin standing next to Zetterburg after Osgood got knocked down. What I saw was after Zetterburg confronted the Pen that speared Osgood (think it was Talbot), Malkin skated all the way around the net long after to go after Zetterburg...our #1 defensive forward who is trying to shut down Crosby.

I think the rule should be re-written as follows:
Rule 47.22 states: "A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five minutes or at any time in overtime shall be suspended for one game, pending a review of the incident and player's last name. The director of hockey operations will review every such incident and may rescind the suspension based on a number of criteria. The criteria for the review shall include, but not be limited to, the score, previous incidents, said player's popularity, etc..."

Oh...and where was the "3rd man in" with Satan?? What the heck was he doing anyway??....looked like he was trying to fondle Zetterburg as Malkin was trying to hit him!

No problems though...the Wings are too smart to get excited about all of that. And besides, it just gives Kromwall another game to try and knock Malkin on his rearend!! :D

dragon62
1st June 2009, 16:03
what about Zetterberg's closed hand on the puck when it was on Osgood's back .... penalty shot ??????......:D:D

Cosmo Kramer
1st June 2009, 16:13
Game #1
Malkin tripping the wing's defensemen at the blue line, taking the puck on a break away......tripping penalty anyone???? There is your penalty shot! :D:D:D

Difference is Malkin was called for a 5 min. major for fighting and fighting instigator....then the NHL said "Oh no!...we can't let that happen!!" :laugh

Games have been even closer than the 3-1 scores...going to be a very interesting game #4 (I expect the Pens to win game #3...but won't be sad if they don't!).

dragon62
1st June 2009, 16:24
that just evens up all the interference that the wings are famous for......(that's not especially a bad thing since interference calls suck any how).....:D:D

Gone
1st June 2009, 18:19
Games have been even closer than the 3-1 scores...going to be a very interesting game #4 (I expect the Pens to win game #3...but won't be sad if they don't!).

I'm not betting against a sweep.

The Penguins lack the Wings depth of talent, and their frustration about it is starting to come out. Where Pittsburgh basically has only a couple legitimate 'anytime' scoring threats, any Wing-at any time, is apt to knock one in.

Anaheim gave Detroit a better fight

snowman
1st June 2009, 18:30
These are the two best teams for the season.

Its going to be a rumble all the way thru...:banana:banana:banana

Tin Man 2
1st June 2009, 18:46

++++++++ 1 :clap We are watching some great Hockey!!!

Quebeker
1st June 2009, 20:38
Sorry, I mean Carbo's replacement.:p

From TSN.ca (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280562):
CANADIENS INTRODUCE JACQUES MARTIN AS NEW HEAD COACH

The Montreal Canadiens began their offseason moves with a bang on Monday, as general manager Bob Gainey announced that the club has hired Jacques Martin as their new head coach.

Montreal will be Martin's fourth NHL stop as head coach after working for the St. Louis Blues and Ottawa Senators and holding the head coach and general manager positions for the Florida Panthers. The Canadiens also announced that goaltending coach Roland Melanson would not be returning next season.

"This is a tremendous opportunity to join this organization," Martin told a news conference in Montreal. "When you look at the players who are in the organization, there is a strong nucleus, a strong base, to build a winning team and I'm really looking forward with excitement to leading this team next year."

The move reunites Martin with assistant general manager Pierre Gauthier and head of amateur scouting Trevor Timmins from their time together with the Senators.

"I really believe this organization is rich in people and that is a very important ingredient," said Martin. "We had the opportunity to discuss at length, to talk about philosophy, talk about operations, talk about players, talk about the league. I was really excited by those conversations with Bob. It's good chemistry."

It also marks the first time since 1992-93 that the Canadiens have formally hired a coach with NHL experience. The team hired former Blues and Red Wings coach Jacques Demers that season, and have since hired first-timers Mario Tremblay, Alain Vigneault, Michel Therrien, Claude Julien and Guy Carbonneau.

The Canadiens were in the market for a new coach after the club fired Carbonneau in March. General Manager Bob Gainey took over as interim head coach for the second time in his tenure with the club, guiding the team to an eighth-place finish and a first-round exit at the hands of the Boston Bruins.

Martin spent five years with the Panthers after joining the club in May 2004 as the team's head coach. He served as the coach for three seasons and assumed the duties as general manager in 2006. Last May, Martin agreed to a contract extension to remain as general manager through the 2011-2012 season.

In three seasons as the Panthers' bench boss, he posted a 110-100-36 mark and stands as the club's all time leaders in wins and games coached.

In 2006, he became the 13th head coach in NHL history to record his 450th win and became only the 12th coach in NHL history to coach in his 1,000th NHL game in 2007. He ranks in the NHL's top 10 all-time coaching leaders with 1,098 games coached (eighth) and 517 wins (ninth). Prior to joining the Panthers, Martin guided the Senators to a 341-255-96 regular-season record in nine seasons. He is Ottawa's all-time leader in games coached (692), regular-season wins (341), playoff wins (31) and playoff games coached (69).

Under Martin, the Senators earned their first President's Trophy, posting a 52-21-8-1 mark in 2002-03. He also led Ottawa to its first trip to the Eastern Conference Final, losing to the eventual Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils.

"I think he has a really good reputation from what I hear," Canadiens forward Georges Laraque told TSN on Monday. "He did really well in Ottawa and as GM in Florida and the people will be happy here (in Montreal) because he's bilingual."

The 2008-09 season marked the Canadiens' 100th anniversary and while they started well, it has to be considered a disappointment for the franchise. The team won seven of their first nine games in October. With the great beginning came talk of capturing a Stanley Cup to cap the Centennial season, but off-ice scandals, rumblings of in-fighting, goaltending issues and the coaching change all took a major toll on the team.

Montreal is facing a summer of questions, with several of the clubs bigger names - captain Saku Koivu, Alex Kovalev and Mike Komisarek - among 10 regulars heading toward unrestricted free agency on July 1.

Last week, a Russian newspaper even reported the team offered Kovalev a new deal that would include being named captain and were prepared to let Koivu walk away.

With so many players potentially moving on, the duo of Martin and Gainey will have much to do when re-working the roster before the start of the 2009-10 season.

dragon62
1st June 2009, 22:28

agreed....... one thing to take into account is the age of the Pen's players... they are just kids playing at this super star level....pretty damn awesome for years to come....:D:D

Cosmo Kramer
1st June 2009, 23:50
they are just kids playing at this super star level....pretty damn awesome for years to come

Agree 110%. Same with the Blackhawks...great young talent on both teams that are producing big numbers only after a couple years in the league. Going to be fun watching them as they "grow-up" in the league.

Gone
3rd June 2009, 03:48
Well, so much for a sweep. I think we'll come out on top though.

Gone
3rd June 2009, 04:20
Well, so much for a sweep. I think we'll come out on top though.

+1 on that!

Cosmo Kramer
3rd June 2009, 15:16
Frustrating. I am going to be the first to say that Ericcson's interference in the 3rd period was in fact interference. However.....how do you call that when you do not call all the other crap that happened during the game (on both sides)?? The wing's defensemen were tripped up in their own zone on two different occasions and led to two scoring chances for the pens....no call. Wings set a pick during a power play....no call. Elbows, hits from behind, high sticks, etc....no call. You can not put your whistle in your pocket and then to pull it out on a play that wasn't even a scoring chance (there was a wing's defensemen already back about ready to pick up the puck)? Piss poor.

As I predicted though, the pens won game #3. However, I thought the Wings played a great game...they responded well in the 1st period and owned the 2nd period (14 shots to 4.....I think it really hurt them not coming out of it with a goal). The Pens came out flying in the 3rd period.

snowman
3rd June 2009, 15:41
Just keeps getting better (except for the officials...)!!!

:banana:banana:banana

Gone
3rd June 2009, 16:21
I think that the moneymaker in last night's game was passing. I remarked to myself way early on in the first that the Wing's passing wasn't up to par. When they came out for the third, the ice must have been especially um....'icy'...lol, because their passing was even worse.

Talbot played a fine game! Cindy....not so much. ;)

Cosmo Kramer
4th June 2009, 14:19
Woo-hoo! Hockey is on again tonight! :clap:clap I hate the "in-between" days of no hockey!

Should be another great game....can't wait!

doyle
4th June 2009, 18:12
Cosmo,
Can't agree with you more... Kris Draper back Pavel Datsyuk possible, watch out Sid the Kid and Evgeni your in for a physical night.

GO WINGS!!!

sportsterdude.248
4th June 2009, 18:30
Drapes was ready last week but they opted for the kid from Muskcegon (I won't even attempt to spell it) It's not looking good for Pavel...
LETS GO RED WINGS....

snowman
4th June 2009, 19:11
Drapes was ready last week but they opted for the kid from Muskcegon (I won't even attempt to spell it) It's not looking good for Pavel...
LETS GO RED WINGS....

It's Muskegon and its the Wings over Penguins, 4-3 tonite...:banana:banana:banana

Cosmo Kramer
4th June 2009, 19:15
Drapes was ready last week

I saw Babcock talk about Drapes after game #2 and it was more of an issue of "not fixing something that isn't broken". After games #1 & 2....he didn't want to shake up the line-up since it was working. It also gave him a 2-game cushion to keep Paval out to heal. I think they will both be back tonight.

dragon62
4th June 2009, 21:34
It's Muskegon and its the Wings over Penguins, 4-3 tonite...:banana:banana:banana

SORRY.....I don't think so......I got my lucky shirt on....:D:D

http://www.chuckthomas.com/pen08tow.jpg

holesnipe
4th June 2009, 23:01
LETS GO RED WINGS....
muskegon:smoke:smoke:smoke

Cosmo Kramer
5th June 2009, 01:19
Ok...so as I am sitting here watching Versus's pre-game show (only caught the last half of it) and all the chatter about the Pens and Malkin / Crosby I decided to take a look at some stats:

First 11 games (pre-stanley cup finals) of the 09' Playoffs:

Crosby - 14 goals and 14 assists which is 2.54 pts/game
Malkin - 16 goals and 12 assists which is also 2.54 pts/game

Awesome #'s for sure....but what are they againest the wings??

Crosby - 0 goals and 1 assist which is 0.33 pts/game
Malkin - 1 goal and 4 assists which is 1.67 pts/game

So what should the story be?....how Malkin / Crosby had a "break-out" game in Game #3 or how the Wings have played againest them during the entire series? You decide. :D

Cosmo Kramer
5th June 2009, 02:41
Sorry Wings fans...should have known better than to say anything!!
:doh:doh

That Kennedy goal was a beauty....love those tick-tack-toe plays...even if it is againest my team!!

Gone
5th June 2009, 03:58
3 goals in 6 minutes, in the Stanley Cup Finals=PULL THE FREAKING GOALIE!!!

We definitely got outplayed tonight. I don't second guess Babcock much, but leaving Osgood in was not a good move.

Good thing there's 7 games, huh????

Cosmo Kramer
5th June 2009, 13:16
3 goals in 6 minutes, in the Stanley Cup Finals=PULL THE FREAKING GOALIE!!!

Actually I agree with Babcock and not pulling Ozzie. The only semi-questionable goal in my mind was Staal's...but Rafalski also let him skate right by. Crosby's and Kennedy's were tape-to-tape across the crease passes that were than one-timed and probably no goalie would have gotten too. Ozzie also shut them down afterwards to give us a shot at coming back including some great saves.

Believe it or not what killed us in my mind was the Malkin penalty in the 2nd period. After they scored the 1st goal of the game the wings were attacking. They out-shot the Pens 9-2 and scored a goal to close the 1st period and then scored within the 1st minute of the 2nd period. As soon as we went on the power play the Pens were pressuring us and not only could we not get set-up but we look worst then we did 5-on-5?!?!

Was it me or did Versus only show the off-sides once that was not called prior to the Pen's first goal?? I thought the officiating sucked again...calls on both sides should have been made. A lot of stick work (cross checking mostly) is being let go. I don't mind some of it....but when a player gets knocked down and the offender picks up and skates away with the puck....come on. Lidstrom got hit hard againest the boards and was never even close to touching the puck....no penalty. If that was the Pen's captain the opposing player would have banned from the league! :D:D

Oh well...the Wings did what they needed to do at home and the Pens did the same. It is now a best of 3 series!

dragon62
5th June 2009, 16:54
http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20080531&Category=OPINION03&ArtNo=805310460&Ref=H3

it's going to be curious to see how this relationship ends up......:D:D

Cosmo Kramer
5th June 2009, 17:12
it's going to be curious to see how this relationship ends up......:D:D

I don't think they will be going out for "beers" after the series is over! :D

snowman
7th June 2009, 02:55
They're back!!!!!!

penguins - 0

WINGS - 5

Second period...:banana:banana:banana

kilroykarr
7th June 2009, 02:59
Poor excuse for a game, IMO!

Just goes to show you who wants it more.

Cosmo Kramer
7th June 2009, 03:01
Pens are self-destructing just like the Blackhawks did in a similiar 2nd period againest the wings. I thought the Pens had all this experience?? Stupid penalties. :doh Sorry....they are showing their "age" tonight.

Maybe everyone should start questioning them about if they are too tired?? :D:D

Gone
7th June 2009, 04:54
Poor excuse for a game, IMO!

Just goes to show you who wants it more.

GD right! The cup's going to stay right where it belongs!

Gone
7th June 2009, 04:58
Pens are self-destructing just like the Blackhawks did in a similiar 2nd period againest the wings. I thought the Pens had all this experience??

What experience? You're believing the NHL (and NBC) Cindy hype.

Like I said before, the Wings have vastly more depth of talent at every position. They finally got a real rest-and the real Detroit Red Wings showed up at the Joe tonight.

The only thing that could make me giddier right now, is if Hossa scores the deciding goal Tuesday night that clinches the Cup!

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/sportsterideragogo/Kronwalled.jpg

snowman
7th June 2009, 05:01
What experience? You're believing the NHL (and NBC) Cindy hype.

Like I said before, the Wings have vastly more depth of talent at every position. They finally got a real rest-and the real Detroit Red Wings showed up at the Joe tonight.

The only thing that could make me giddier right now, is if Hossa scores the deciding goal Tuesday night that clinches the Cup!

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/sportsterideragogo/Kronwalled.jpg

That WOULD be cool...:banana:banana:banana

Gone
7th June 2009, 05:09
Dude, I was SCREAMING at my TV tonight for Kronwall or Stu to knock that prima-donna into next week!

Maybe Cindy IS the 'second coming of Gretzky'.....'Ol Wayne-O was a ballerina too!

Tin Man 2
7th June 2009, 18:43
I believe the collapse of Pittsburgh was a temporary thing, Back on home ice I expect a much stronger effort. More great hockey to come, It not over till its over, and Im a Wing fan!!

Cosmo Kramer
7th June 2009, 22:54
I believe the collapse of Pittsburgh was a temporary thing, Back on home ice I expect a much stronger effort. More great hockey to come, It not over till its over, and Im a Wing fan!!

Tin Man, I totally agree but I do not understand it. You have one of the best offensive teams in the league and you have half a game to go....it was 3-0 after the PPG when Malkin took his stupid penalty and that was only about 8 mins. into the 2nd period. It is simply age and experience as much as Versus/NBC/hockey world will hate to admit it....they still lack both.

dragon62
8th June 2009, 03:52

agreed.... seems my boys had a severe brain cramp.....great series...:D:D

Gone
10th June 2009, 02:05
Looks like we're going to have a real live hockey match tonight!

dragon62
10th June 2009, 03:44
the march of the penguins continues to Hockeytown.....:D:D

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3WkIQw4ovq0/R38cKlERhLI/AAAAAAAAAhw/NIAj1Obx-5A/s400/capt.c558ecb911ca473c850c9e9c45ae5091.maple_leafs_ penguins_hockey_pagp107.jpg

Gone
10th June 2009, 04:28
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/sportsterideragogo/noname.jpg

Gone
10th June 2009, 17:16
That was a hell of an entertaining game to watch last night. Friday is gonna be interesting!

I think the boys in red will come out on top, but-game 5 excluded, the dirty birds have impressed me.

.....except for Crosby, I still maintain that he's an overrated media star. ;)

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/sportsterideragogo/z6.jpg

;)

hogmoss
10th June 2009, 17:52
That was a hell of an entertaining game to watch last night. Friday is gonna be interesting!

I think the boys in red will come out on top, but-game 5 excluded, the dirty birds have impressed me.

.....except for Crosby, I still maintain that he's an overrated media star. ;)

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/sportsterideragogo/z6.jpg

;)

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahernandez23
10th June 2009, 18:35
I have been away from Hockey for a while, since I stopped playing league in Germany three years ago. My son got me back into it during the playoffs.

I was impressed with the young talent. Crosby and Malkin are two outstanding players that still have to find their way on the ice in the finals. When they do they will be stars. Crosby did not get that "C" on his jersey for being a media star he is really that good.

By no means am I a Pens fan. I grew up playing hockey in Michigan and am A Red Wings fan through and through. Last night I saw a Pit team that had more fight than Detroit.

Go Red Wings!

hogmoss
11th June 2009, 06:40
I have been away from Hockey for a while, since I stopped playing league in Germany three years ago. My son got me back into it during the playoffs.

I was impressed with the young talent. Crosby and Malkin are two outstanding players that still have to find their way on the ice in the finals. When they do they will be stars. Crosby did not get that "C" on his jersey for being a media star he is really that good.

By no means am I a Pens fan. I grew up playing hockey in Michigan and am A Red Wings fan through and through. Last night I saw a Pit team that had more fight than Detroit.

Go Red Wings!

I agree Crosby is really good, my issue is as the media has pumped him more and more it's reflecting in his attitude. Last season he was still really good but had the attitude like a noble player, now it seems it's gone to his head and he has the "Yeah I'm Sidney Crosby!!!" attitude.

P.S. GO WINGS!!!!!!!

Tin Man 2
11th June 2009, 13:28
Rasbery, I kind of hate to go off topic,but I have to ask. Why the new Avatar,I Really liked the old one, Not that the new isnt a nice pic of your coat but it lacks the visual draw of the other.:doh Regards;Tin.

Gone
12th June 2009, 16:34
WHOO!!! Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals! I'm a nervous wreck!

Let's go RED WINGS!!!!

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/sportsterideragogo/z3.jpg

milmat1
12th June 2009, 17:37
WHOO!!! Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals! I'm a nervous wreck!

Let's go RED WINGS!!!!

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/sportsterideragogo/z3.jpg

Thats just not even Right !!...

(funny though!)

Cosmo Kramer
12th June 2009, 18:11
Ugh...the only thing worst than Game 7 for the nerves.....is OT in game 7!! :doh

Either way...whomever wins...this has been a great series and look forward to tonight's game. Hopefully home-ice advantage continues tonight as it has for this entire series. :D:D:D

sportsterdude.248
12th June 2009, 18:18
I Can't Wait !!!!! Let's Go Red Wings..

dragon62
12th June 2009, 21:01
http://qonverge.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/stanley_cup.jpg

yeah man.....this is it............gonna be a great battle..... good luck to all.....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ecXzac-ljd4/SNkpY69-RXI/AAAAAAAAA1U/zQjsWmyVLjM/s400/1.jpg

http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/STAFF/clozier/pens2.gif....:D:D

Shark Doctor
12th June 2009, 21:36
The last 5 minutes of Game 6 might have been the best 5 minutes of hockey I've ever seen. IMPOSSIBLE to stay seated!

Let's hope for an all-out battle and some more great hockey.

And, if my "location" skipped by you, GO WINGS!!!

snowman
13th June 2009, 02:58
Where the f$#@ are the wings????

kilroykarr
13th June 2009, 03:10
http://www.pg.com/en_PK/products/always/images/hh_always_normal_w_wings_ho.jpg

Only wings i see.:laugh Thats 2 penalty's they didn't do anything with.:doh

Shark Doctor
13th June 2009, 03:33
Wings being totally outplayed!!!

kilroykarr
13th June 2009, 03:37
The PENS did it good for them.

Cosmo Kramer
13th June 2009, 03:46
No excuses....takes 4 wins. Congrats Pens....well done.

dragon62
13th June 2009, 03:48
the march continues........

http://d.yimg.com/hb/xp/afp/20090527/12/3976300981-penguins-sweep-hurricanes-to-reach-stanley-cup-finals.jpg....:D:D:D

...... for years to come.....

Quebeker
13th June 2009, 03:53
Dragon, the march can take a break now.:doh

Congrats to the Pens and good for the fans for sticking with Mario and the team in the bad times. It paid off.

Jason's Sporty
13th June 2009, 03:55
WOO Pens! Flurey became the squid in Detroit!

dragon62
13th June 2009, 03:55
Dragon, the march can take a break now.:doh

Congrats to the Pens and good for the fans for sticking with Mario and the team in the bad times. It paid off.

.....till september.....;).....:D:D

snowman
13th June 2009, 03:56
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj198/snowman3773/rockclimberpenguin.jpg

Congrats to Pittsburgh...:geek:geek:geek

Their team played like winners!

Quebeker
13th June 2009, 03:58
A few things:

-How close was that to go to overtime?
That kid from Quebec made a small miracle there at the end.

-How freaking small is Bettman?
And does he have Parkinson?

-How cool is it to see Mario hoisting the Cup again?

Jason's Sporty
13th June 2009, 04:00
How cool is it to see Mario hoisting the Cup again?
Not as great as seeing Super Mario do it in person in '92!

snowman
13th June 2009, 04:01
A few things:

Game may have been different if the wings showed up for the first two periods. Can't play like that in the finals and even have the balls to think your gonna take the cup...:geek:geek:geek

dragon62
13th June 2009, 04:03
A few things:

too damn close....
awesome save...
smaller than Brian Gionta....
maybe a Kathryn Hepburn impersonation...
brought a tear to my eye......:D:D

Quebeker
13th June 2009, 04:14
Question to Fleury on CBC:
What were you thinking there at the end when they were all around you in the final seconds?

Fleury's answer:
Oh shit!

dragon62
13th June 2009, 04:19
how many F-bombs were dropped on live NBC.....:laugh:laugh

Quebeker
13th June 2009, 04:22

I don't know, I was watching the better broadcast.:laugh

dragon62
13th June 2009, 04:24
I don't know, I was watching the better broadcast.:laugh

you got that right.....:D:D

ImAHighSamurai
13th June 2009, 05:41

Hello Irwin from ford city, Kittanning and the few other places i stoped in tonight!

We counted quite a few when Ox' kept saying "were on LIVE TV"

Best was when he first walked off the ice and some guy was walking buy and flat out said "OMFG i cant F'in belive this":laugh:laugh

Quebeker
13th June 2009, 12:38
I've never cared about the owner of the winning team before.
But this was a little special.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e80/quebeker/luke/supermario.jpg

Sporting Lad
13th June 2009, 17:03
Yeah. And finally: a Final that lived up to all the pre-series hype.
And a Game 7 to boot!

As a non-partisan fan in championship series (being from Vancouver :rolleyes:
I'll cheer for either a) the underdog, or b) the team with the Old Guys, so this
one was hard for me to choose. Until the cheap shot on Crosby in the first period last night:frownthre, then I was all like, "GO PENS!"

I don't know how many of you Yanks got to see it but, for me the most poignant
moment of the series was the first intermission of Game 6 when Don Cherry broke down during his 'tribute' to a 20 year old kid who was killed in Afghanistan. That was real. The rest, as Gretzky once said, "is just a game."

Anyhow, it was good final and I thought the fans in Detroit showed a lot of class
in congratulating the winners.

loki03xlh
13th June 2009, 19:16
Congrats to the Pens!

The reign of terror is over!

Durockrolly
13th June 2009, 19:28
I thought it was great when the Detroit fans gave Mario Lemieux a huge ovation when he held the cup. Great final series, even greater game 7!!!

dragon62
14th June 2009, 04:41
Hello Irwin from ford city, Kittanning and the few other places i stoped in tonight!

We counted quite a few when Ox' kept saying "were on LIVE TV"

Best was when he first walked off the ice and some guy was walking buy and flat out said "OMFG i cant F'in belive this":laugh:laugh

yeah....that guy was equipment manager Dana Heinze......:D:D

Gone
14th June 2009, 15:47
Until the cheap shot on Crosby in the first period last night.

I'll eat my crow-the Pens totally outplayed the Wings in the final game.

No way I'm buying that was a cheap shot-It was a clean check, and it wasn't even a particularly hard one.

The media is still kissing Crosby's butt, but Malkin, Stoll, and Talbot were the driving force behind winning the cup. Crosby was pretty much a non factor.

Congrats to the Pens fans!

761000sp
14th June 2009, 15:54
non factor Sid Does more than one sees you don't have 31 points just for skating
I was at the Pens training facility to watch the game what a rush
Fluery was the real hero
and Mad Max.
Wonder were the a hole HOSSA will try to play for next year!

Cosmo Kramer
14th June 2009, 16:28
non factor Sid Does more than one sees you don't have 31 points just for skating

I agree...there is more to hockey than scoring but the Wings were the only team that shut him down (1 goal & 2 assists in 7 games...was averaging 2.5 pts per game before the finals). The press didn't hype him as a defensive foward....I think that is what his point was.

As far as Malkin...yeah, he had 36 points. Thats great....take a look at all of his stats....he was only +3 with all of those points. So while he was on the ice for 36 goals for the penguins....he was also on the ice for 33 goals for the other team. Hmm...so how great is that??

But he is the "super-star"....to me Talbot deserved the Conn Smythe. Lets take a look game-by-game of Crosby, Malkin and Talbot and you tell me who was more important in winning the cup for the pens:

Game #1 - Wings 3, Pens 1
Crosby: 0 goals, 0 assists and -1
Malkin: 0 goals, 1 assists and +1
Talbot: 0 goals, 0 assists and +1

Game #2 - Wings 3, Pens 1
Crosby: 0 goals, 0 assists and 0 for +/-
Malkin: 1 goal, 0 assists and -2
Talbot: 0 goals, 0 assists and -1

Game #3 - Wings 2, Pens 4
Crosby: 0 goals, 1 assist and -1
Malkin: 0 goals, 3 assists and +2
Talbot: 2 goals, 0 assists and +2 (scored first goal of game)

Game #4 - Wings 2, Pens 4
Crosby: 1 goal, 1 assist and +2
Malkin: 1 goal, 1 assist and +2
Talbot: 0 goals, 1 assist and 0 for +/-

Game #5 - Wings 5, Pens 0
Crosby: 0 goals, 0 assists and -2
Malkin: 0 goals, 0 assists and -1
Talbot: 0 goals, 0 assists and 0 for +/- (none of the wings 5 goals during his shifts)

Game #6 - Wings 1, Pens 2
Malkin: 0 goals, 0 assists and 0 for +/-
Talbot: 0 goals, 1 assist and +1 (assist was on game winning goal)

Game #7 - Wings 1, Pens 2
Malkin: 0 goals, 1 assist and +1
Talbot: 2 goals, 0 assists and +1 (only goals for the pens...won them the cup)

For the series:
Crosby: 1 goals, 2 assists and -3
Malkin: 2 goals, 6 assists and +3
Talbot: 4 goals, 2 assists and +4

Higher +/-, assisted on the game winner in Game #6 (elimination game) and scored the Pens only 2 goals in Game #7 = Conn Smythe winner to me.

761000sp
14th June 2009, 17:22
I agree...there is more to hockey than scoring but the Wings were the only team that shut him down (1 goal & 2 assists in 7 games...was averaging 2.5 pts per game before the finals). The press didn't hype him as a defensive foward....I think that is what his point was.

As far as Malkin...yeah, he had 36 points. Thats great....take a look at all of his stats....he was only +3 with all of those points. So while he was on the ice for 36 goals for the penguins....he was also on the ice for 33 goals for the other team. Hmm...so how great is that??

But he is the "super-star"....to me Talbot deserved the Conn Smythe. Lets take a look game-by-game of Crosby, Malkin and Talbot and you tell me who was more important in winning the cup for the pens:

Game #1 - Wings 3, Pens 1
Malkin: 0 goals, 1 assists and +1
Talbot: 0 goals, 0 assists and +1

Game #2 - Wings 3, Pens 1
Malkin: 1 goal, 0 assists and -2
Talbot: 0 goals, 0 assists and -1

Game #3 - Wings 2, Pens 4
Crosby: 0 goals, 1 assist and -1
Malkin: 0 goals, 3 assists and +2
Talbot: 2 goals, 0 assists and +2 (scored first goal of game)

Game #4 - Wings 2, Pens 4
Crosby: 1 goal, 1 assist and +2
Malkin: 1 goal, 1 assist and +2
Talbot: 0 goals, 1 assist and 0 for +/-

Game #5 - Wings 5, Pens 0
Crosby: 0 goals, 0 assists and -2
Malkin: 0 goals, 0 assists and -1
Talbot: 0 goals, 0 assists and 0 for +/- (none of the wings 5 goals during his shifts)

Game #6 - Wings 1, Pens 2
Malkin: 0 goals, 0 assists and 0 for +/-
Talbot: 0 goals, 1 assist and +1 (assist was on game winning goal)

Game #7 - Wings 1, Pens 2
Malkin: 0 goals, 1 assist and +1
Talbot: 2 goals, 0 assists and +1 (only goals for the pens...won them the cup)

For the series:
Crosby: 1 goals, 2 assists and -3
Malkin: 2 goals, 6 assists and +3
Talbot: 4 goals, 2 assists and +4

Higher +/-, assisted on the game winner in Game #6 (elimination game) and scored the Pens only 2 goals in Game #7 = Conn Smythe winner to me.

Well said
ole #29 should of got the defensive player

Cosmo Kramer
14th June 2009, 17:45
I thought it was great when the Detroit fans gave Mario Lemieux a huge ovation when he held the cup.

+1000

Detroit is a proud hockey town and not only do they appreciate the player that Mario was, they appreciate him more for going in and saving that team and the results he achieved in very little "hockey" time.

ImAHighSamurai
15th June 2009, 02:27
yeah....that guy was equipment manager Dana Heinze......:D:D

As in family of the heinz ketchup Co.? If so why does he even have/need a job? I just spent a few bucks today investing in their fortune

dragon62
15th June 2009, 12:02
As in family of the heinz ketchup Co.? If so why does he even have/need a job? I just spent a few bucks today investing in their fortune

no... not the same family.....his name is pronounced " hynzee "....:D:D

Casper
15th June 2009, 12:35
I don't know how many of you Yanks got to see it but, for me the most poignant
moment of the series was the first intermission of Game 6 when Don Cherry broke down during his 'tribute' to a 20 year old kid who was killed in Afghanistan. That was real. The rest, as Gretzky once said, "is just a game."

Agreed. It takes a lot to break Grapes, but a fallen soldier never fails to do it. And as much as it hurts him every time, he never fails to pay tribute to them; that's really classy of him. How many long-standing television broadcasters do you know who get choked up this much over the death of someone they never even met? More reasons I'm proud to be a Canadian. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/XLF_Casper/Smileys/canadianflag.gif

(The tribute starts at 6:15. Before that, it's all hockey and how Crosby tapes up his stick).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVzJ6ZuxLWo

I thought it was great when the Detroit fans gave Mario Lemieux a huge ovation when he held the cup. Great final series, even greater game 7!!!
No matter what side you cheer for, when a legend like Lemieux hoists the cup, it's just the respectful thing to do. And big kudos to all the Detroit fans who did cheer for him, even though their team just lost. I give them real credit for that!

dragon62
15th June 2009, 13:57
I was at the Pens training facility to watch the game what a rush
Fluery was the real hero
and Mad Max.
Wonder were the a hole HOSSA will try to play for next year!

agreed 1000 %.......:D:D

meteor545
16th June 2009, 03:02
finaly it's over. i hate hockey. being canadian its impossible to ignore. lets have another lockout!

Koot
16th June 2009, 07:12
..... i hate hockey. being canadian its impossible to ignore. lets have another lockout!

How about a lock-in instead, you know, it's where you lock yourself in your crapper for 9 months with no radio, TV or newspapers and only have to deal with the brown pucks. :p

Koot ;) :D

Quebeker
16th June 2009, 10:13
Mr Blackberry lost again.

dragon62
16th June 2009, 12:12
Mr Blackberry lost again.

must be tough to be an unwanted millionaire.....:D:D

dragon62
16th June 2009, 12:13
How about a lock-in instead, you know, it's where you lock yourself in your crapper for 9 months with no radio, TV or newspapers and only have to deal with the brown pucks. :p

Koot ;) :D

:laugh:laugh:laugh....:D:D

761000sp
16th June 2009, 23:54
you know what pissed me off was when the Detroit fans Started booing,
and the players are saying Sid is classless makes no sense but then again WHAT DOES DETROIT HAVE TO LIVE FOR TIGERS SUCK LIONS SUCK PISTONS(WELL DON'T FOLLOW BASKETBALL AND MOST OF THERE JOBS ARE GONE AT LEAST THEY HAD A LITTLE INSPIRATION IN THE WINGS!

Gone
17th June 2009, 04:16
They're saying Cindy is classless because he displays no class. Hence, he is classless.

I didn't hear any booing. Except whenever Marion Hossa hit the ice.

14 posts......Welcome to the forum. What a nice way to introduce yourself.

Cosmo Kramer
17th June 2009, 23:07
and the players are saying Sid is classless makes no sense but then again

First of all you need to get your facts right. Were you watching that game and victory celebration? When did Crosby go shake hands with the Wings?? The Wing's captain (Lidstrom), who was first in line for Detroit since that is what REAL captains do, was waiting after he shook hands with everyone else on the Penguins squad for that little prick. Still no Crosby. Crosby went at the very end only shaking hands with a couple players and the coaching staff. Actually...as I was watching the celebration I was yelling at my girlfriend because I thought he never even went over at all...but he did at the very end.

Your other comments don't even deserve a response.

Cosmo Kramer
18th June 2009, 09:24
WHAT DOES DETROIT HAVE TO LIVE FOR

A classless statement fit for a classless Sid fan. I wasn't going to respond to this but just can't help myself since I come from a family with a long history in the Automotive business and Detroit. So lets compare the two cities....Pittsburgh vs. Detroit since you brought it up.

TIGERS SUCK

Tigers suck huh?...well what are the Pirates?? Tigers won a championship in 84' and went to the World Series in 06' but lost. Pirates, well, 16 straight years of losing seasons.

Summary: last 25 years, Pirates SUCK MORE than the Tigers

LIONS SUCK

This one I will agree...they do suck.

PISTONS(WELL DON'T FOLLOW BASKETBALL)

Well Pittsburgh can't support a basketball team so we'll go to the next large city in PA....the Philly 76'ers. Pistons won championships in 89', 90' and 04'. 76'ers last championship was in 83' and only made the finals once since that point. Summary: last 26 years, 76'ers SUCK MORE than the Pistons.

You didn't mention hockey but lets compare the last major sport:
Wings won the Cup in 97, 98, 2002 & 2008. They have made the playoffs every year since the Pens stanley cup win in 91' plus 2 stanley cup finals appearances where they lost (95' and 09'). The Penguins have won cups in 91', 92' and 09'. Missed the playoffs in 02', 03', 04', and 06'. Summary: While the Penguins beat the wings this year, it is clear that in the last 18 years the Penguins SUCK MORE than the Wings.

AND MOST OF THERE JOBS ARE GONE AT LEAST THEY HAD A LITTLE INSPIRATION IN THE WINGS!

Hey...how is that "steel industry" treating ya in Pittsburgh?? While the Auto industry is going through very difficults times right now they will survive unlike Pittsburgh's steel industry. If anything you should feel somewhat of a kinship with what the Automotive workers are going through....but that would show "class"...what was I thinking?

Summary: So out of the 4 major sports (NHL, NFL, NBA & MLB), in the last couple decades Pittsburgh is better than Detriot in 1 out of 4. Again...as I stated before, you need to check your facts first.

DIESEL
18th June 2009, 19:50
A classless statement fit for a classless Sid fan. I wasn't going to respond to this but just can't help myself since I come from a family with a long history in the Automotive business and Detroit. So lets compare the two cities....Pittsburgh vs. Detroit since you brought it up.

Tigers suck huh?...well what are the Pirates?? Tigers won a championship in 84' and went to the World Series in 06' but lost. Pirates, well, 16 straight years of losing seasons.

Summary: last 25 years, Pirates SUCK MORE than the Tigers

This one I will agree...they do suck.

Well Pittsburgh can't support a basketball team so we'll go to the next large city in PA....the Philly 76'ers. Pistons won championships in 89', 90' and 04'. 76'ers last championship was in 83' and only made the finals once since that point. Summary: last 26 years, 76'ers SUCK MORE than the Pistons.

You didn't mention hockey but lets compare the last major sport:
Wings won the Cup in 97, 98, 2002 & 2008. They have made the playoffs every year since the Pens stanley cup win in 91' plus 2 stanley cup finals appearances where they lost (95' and 09'). The Penguins have won cups in 91', 92' and 09'. Missed the playoffs in 02', 03', 04', and 06'. Summary: While the Penguins beat the wings this year, it is clear that in the last 18 years the Penguins SUCK MORE than the Wings.

Hey...how is that "steel industry" treating ya in Pittsburgh?? While the Auto industry is going through very difficults times right now they will survive unlike Pittsburgh's steel industry. If anything you should feel somewhat of a kinship with what the Automotive workers are going through....but that would show "class"...what was I thinking?

Summary: So out of the 4 major sports (NHL, NFL, NBA & MLB), in the last couple decades Pittsburgh is better than Detriot in 1 out of 4. Again...as I stated before, you need to check your facts first.

Damn, I live in AZ, but was born in the Burgh! How about this for a true comparision.

BOTH CITIES SUCK! I never thought I would say that, but it's true. Industry has gone in the shitter both places.

BOTH PLACES HAVE SNOW--Therefore they SUCK. I think the one thing everyone can agree on is both places are BETTER than the Mistake by the Lake, I mean Cleveland, Ohio. The river caught fire, and if the world needed an enema, thats where they would put the hose.

had to have some fun with you guys, lighten up. Seriously, the Steelers are my team and they are the best, no matter what, even if they suck. So are the Pens, and Buccos (Pirates). When we moved to AZ, I was devistated, but my father worked for LTV Steel and his choices were move to Clevaland, or find a new job. He found a new job in Arizona. Yep, he is a Stillers fan too!

Cosmo Kramer
18th June 2009, 20:01
had to have some fun with you guys, lighten up. Seriously, the Steelers are my team and they are the best, no matter what, even if they suck.

I am not dumb enough to say the Steelers suck! I know better! :D

I just have a problem when someone kicks someone else in the nuts when they are already on the ground (ie...Detroit).

Sid the kid acted like one and pulled a classless act.....Mario should have went down there any put him over his knee just like the rest of his kids that live with him. :D:D

DIESEL
18th June 2009, 20:16
I am not dumb enough to say the Steelers suck! I know better! :D

I just have a problem when someone kicks someone else in the nuts when they are already on the ground (ie...Detroit).

Sid the kid acted like one and pulled a classless act.....Mario should have went down there any put him over his knee just like the rest of his kids that live with him. :D:D

I know, we tend to kick people all the time. I am glad my team won, but I have been putting a 100 dollar bet each year for the Buccos, Pens and Stillers to win the championships. Needless to say, most years, it is a losing proposition.

Didn't see much of the celebration to be honest (getting drunk).

We had the same thing happen here in AZ when people and players showed no class by bitching about the Steelers beating the Cardinals, and it was a result of a bad play, etc...., bottom line was the Steelers kicked their ass and they would do it again, and again, and again, ...

Cosmo Kramer
18th June 2009, 20:26
I don't think anyone is saying that they stole the game/series with a bad play or anything like that. That is what is nice about a best of 7 series, even if a bad call is made and a game is decided by it....it still takes 4 wins to win it. They beat us...simple as that.

Didn't see much of the celebration to be honest.

Well I found this on Youtube...and believe me...it was hard watching again. When I watch it...I see early on most of the Penguins and all of the Wings in line for the hand shake. Then a few Pens come in later. And then Sid comes in at the end...looks to me that he maybe shook the hand of 3 or 4 players and then the entire coaching staff.

Here it is...you watch...you decide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEBGLcyv9_w

I was actually surprised that the Fans were booing Sid when he went to get the cup (although some of that is always for Gary Bettmen), but now I know why.

Quebeker
21st June 2009, 01:33
Here's a big :censor news out of Montreal.
It's not officially official yet but...

From TSN.ca (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282431)

An agreement in principle has been reached on the sale of the Gillett family's interests in the Montreal Canadiens, the Bell Centre and Gillett Entertainment Group.

Geoff Molson and his brothers Andrew and Justin will take over ownership of the century-old hockey franchise, with the announcement to come once the agreement is finalized.

But the approval of the sale is going to take some time. The National Hockey League will have to review the application and conduct an interview with the executive committee before the Board of Governors will be in a position to vote. It's expected that the approval may not come until late August.

The three brothers were one of at least two groups to have placed bids on the Canadiens franchise with one of the other bids coming from a consortium spearheaded by Quebecor Media. According to reports, a few others with strong Quebec ties were also in the mix to buy the club.

''I think to the extent that they have been able to find people who are obviously passionate about the game and structure a transaction that makes sense for everybody, that's a real plus for the franchise and the fans of Montreal,'' NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in Las Vegas.

Paul Kelly, head of the NHL Players' Association, echoed Bettman's sentiment.

''I know we had two or three very prominent and impressive groups that were bidding for the team,'' said Kelly. ''I know that the purchase price got up there in numbers that are well above all of our pay grades. That's a great franchise and a great city.

''Mr. Gillett was really a fine owner,'' Kelly added. ''We will miss him in the National Hockey League. I thought he brought a lot of creativity and ingenuity and colour to the sport.''

The Molson family is no stranger to the NHL - it has been associated with the franchise since 1957, when brothers Thomas and Hartland Molson acquired the team from Senator Donat Raymond.

During the period the family controlled the team, the Canadiens won 11 of their 24 Stanley Cups.

''This is a very exciting time for our family and we are grateful to the many people and organizations who came forward to offer their collaboration in the development of our proposal,'' Mr. Molson said in a statement.

dragon62
21st June 2009, 03:52

good or bad ??.... I haven't been following that one....:D:D

Koot
21st June 2009, 04:15

Well that would depend on your point of view :laugh

For Montreal fans it must be very good news indeed. The Molson Family has a long history of winning hockey teams.

Koot :clap

Gone
21st June 2009, 05:48

Good deal. They were a pretty good team this last season, and with that Molson money and tradition behind them, I can see Montreal improving.

....and, as ever, Cindy remains a whiney little beyotch ;) Sorry, couldn't resist

While I'm running my mouth, big hosanas to Pavel Datsyuk for his Bing and Selke wins.

Quebeker
21st June 2009, 12:05

It's not bad at all for the team.
It may be bad for the expectations of the fans.
The Habs won 11 Cups when owned by the Molson Brewery from 1953 to 2001.
Now I'm sure some fans will expect the Cup even more(worse).

loki03xlh
28th September 2009, 19:37
Hockey season starts on FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's Go Blues!!!

dragon62
28th September 2009, 20:35
WAAAAAAHOOOOOOO........this thread is rockin' again.......:D:D

Go Pens.....:D:D

colonelangus
28th September 2009, 21:17
Whos Vancouver? I didnt know washington had a team from Vancouver

vancouver canada is the home of the canucks .we are going all the way this year
go canucks go :smoke :smoke

sportsterdude.248
28th September 2009, 22:21
Let's go Red Wings !!!!! Let's go Red Wings !!!!! Let's go Red Wings !!!!!;););)
Hell Yeah!!!

Phaedrus
28th September 2009, 22:42
Hockey season starts on FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's Go Blues!!!

For me the season starts Thursday Leafs, Habs

Quebeker
28th September 2009, 22:52

What a coincidence, same game as mine.:p

On the way to Cup number 25.

Phaedrus
29th September 2009, 02:51
What a coincidence, same game as mine.:p

On the way to Cup number 25.

yup just like the last 15 years:laugh

Quebeker
29th September 2009, 03:03
yup just like the last 15 years:laugh

Do you need me to ask when was the last parade in Toronto?:laugh
The last 2 in Montreal I was old enough to drink.:cheers

Quebeker
2nd October 2009, 06:01

Didn't start well.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e80/quebeker/quebeker/_resize_picture_portalphp-4.jpg

Phaedrus
2nd October 2009, 11:43
Ya Ya I watched the game with three leaf fans, and two habs fans, Leafs out shot the habs two to one, yet lost the game. At least they got a point

Toskela let his usual one bad goal in.

Price looked solid Gionta looked good

Five more meetings we shall see.

Quebeker
7th October 2009, 13:53
Habs lost yesterday. So far they are 2 and 1 and lost 2 defensemen for a few months.

And I think it's already time to panic in Vancouver.
If Luongo, who's supposed to be one of the top 3 in the league is pulled and replaced by Raycroft, you are in BIG trouble.

Phaedrus
7th October 2009, 13:57
Early days, however Markov is a big loss.

Koot
7th October 2009, 17:18
And I think it's already time to panic in Vancouver.
If Luongo, who's supposed to be one of the top 3 in the league is pulled and replaced by Raycroft, you are in BIG trouble.

Naw, in Vancouver they don't panic, they just reach for the rolling papers and do one. Pretty typical start for the cKnucleheads, they love making the opposition goalies look good. Louie will get it togrther in a month or so, play brilliantly and fall apart at playoff time. The Canucks will take the division and burn in round one or two of the playoffs. I mean thats history, right, that's what they do. To celebrate the season I have a new original logo 'Nucks hat.

Hey, where the hell those papers get to?? :rolleyes:

Koot

Durockrolly
7th October 2009, 17:38
Just a quickie here. Years ago when Gretzky came to L.A. (I'm a Kings fan) I made up a bumper sticker that read...

Jesus saves, Gretzky shoots he scores!!!

loki03xlh
7th October 2009, 18:08
How about them Blues!!!!!

Sweeping the two game series in Sweeden against the dead things!

Here's to hoping the reign of terror is over in the Central division.

Let's Go Blues!!!

Koot
8th October 2009, 17:20
Vancouver over Montreal 7-1.

I like to see the Canucks win, no question, but I felt bad for Carey Price playing his first NHL game (I believe) in BC, his home Province. I think his team let him down.

Koot

Quebeker
18th October 2009, 14:35
Holy Crap!
Habs suck almost as as much as the Leafs.

dragon62
18th October 2009, 16:41
Pens are still rolling......no sign of "Stanley Cup Hangover" so far..... 5-0 on the road...7-1 start.....even broke the jinx of losing at home in their alternate blue jerseys.....GO PENS...:D:D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GfILUQAGmbc/SjMsk7uOfBI/AAAAAAAAAek/AZM1O_ojC3g/S1600-R/73b3968e0cc0b0f6a3607e1d9545414f-2.jpg