PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Ironhead Parts and Accessories

corad
1st July 2005, 13:27
where can you get parts and accessories for Ironheads? I have a 1980 XLH 1000 are parts pretty scarce any help would be appreciated. :thinkbeer

BobboJama
1st July 2005, 15:19
V-Twin (Ted's Cycle) is about it.... The have everything needed to to keep your Ironhead on the road. Check with your local non-stealership Harley shop, and ask to browse there catalog. Anything new or innovative is going to be hard to find.... I make a lot of my own stuff for that reason...

IronMick
1st July 2005, 15:59
I too have a 1980. I found everything that i needed on eBay - complete original exhaust, original A/C, decals, cables. Some stuff i was able to get locally at inde shops - generator end cap, front brake rotors at only $46.00 each, the cool looking chrome oil cooler to mount on the down tubes, replacement for broken part of forward controls, K&N filter, cables, brake pads, oil filters. At the HD dealer they always gave me a hard time about my "obsolete" bike, but still found stuff in the aftermarket catalogs. They stock the oil filter - it is used commonly on other models too.

In my experience everything is easily available either from eBay or from a standard catalog, or from HD or from J&P Cycles etc.

My anticicpation is that even in another 25 years all the parts you will need will still be available. There are lots of these bikes out there and people like us who want to keep them going.

BobboJama
1st July 2005, 16:50
Let me reiterate, Wholesale distributers... Drag, Custom Chrome, Midwest, Mid-USA, Chrome Specialities, Dixie Distrubting ETC. are carrieing less and less Ironhead parts with every catalog issued. This will eventually trickle down to the little local shops, and the retail catalog distributors like JP Cycles.. Hard parts like crank pins, pinion and sprocket shafts, Cylinders, Heads, etc. that are Sportster Specific are getting harder to find. Items like calipers, rotors, Air and oil filters, etc. that also fit Big Twins are available because they fit Big Twins... Try to find a NEW clutch basket for a late 70s early 80s XL... Real hard to find...

E-Bay is an excellent resource. I've picked up some real nice OEM restoration goodies, some questionable quality after market stuff that could be reworked and some real good AM parts, and tons of used parts that have proven worth rebuilding.

V-Twin Has just about everything you need for the Ironhead, but they only sell through dealer and aftermarket shops... Most Stealerships will not admit they do business with V-Twin.

Gone
1st July 2005, 21:46
Check J&P's Vintage catalog, there are parts they don't list in the regular catalog

Fisherman
2nd July 2005, 00:12
All V-Twin parts can be ordered through ZOOM Cycle:
www.zoomcycleLLC.com
ZoomCycle@aol.com
Toll Free: 1-888-316-1994
Fax: 1-888-658-7150

I ordered their free catalog (1600 pages, 287 Sporty pages). It came in about 10 days with a price list & order form.

72 Ironhead XLH
6th July 2005, 03:30
We are NOT obsolete, were CLASSIC`S

Max Throttle
6th July 2005, 11:46
i use the J&P vintage catalogue, so far no backorders or unavailable items but time will tell

i appreciate the info given here also, saved the link to zoom cycle

jon686
6th July 2005, 19:55
Glad I found this thread, I am starting to think about my basket case 79 and needed the info.

Y2K
6th July 2005, 20:58
Here's a good link........... :smoke http://www.sportyspecialties.com/

Sleevedfreak
14th July 2005, 01:34
Hey Bro...If you are in Chicopee Take a ride to Rollands Motor Works in Northampton...Great people to deal with and Bruce the service manager is a great source of information...they are a great bunch...I think they see me more than my ol lady...... :D

corad
14th July 2005, 02:17
I did they had to order my clutch cable but they had pretty much everything I needed I will continue to go back. Dont forget 10% off

Sleevedfreak
14th July 2005, 05:36
The 10% off is a great thing...We all know there is a huge markup but I love a deal...and I havent been offered that at the Harley shop right down the road..

GSB_77_XL
14th July 2005, 06:07
Glad I found this thread, I am starting to think about my basket case 79 and needed the info.

good luck they did some wiered things in79

jon686
18th July 2005, 18:02
I ordered the V-twin/Zoom catalog. I like their format with the Sporty section. Very easy to use. I also got the Dennis Kirk Catalog, their strong point is that they have better pictures and prices are listed. The Zoom catalog sends a seperate book that you have to look up prices in. Both catalogs arrived in about 10 days. I just wonder if availability will be an issue when I go to order...

Panhead
19th July 2005, 05:00
Arrr, Arrrr, finding parts for a 70 something ! I am doing a 58. So far I've used V Twin (Tedds) and J&P and eBay. I really need a rear fender, but can't afford the V Twin repop at $380 so if anyone out there has one PLEASE let me know. When I get done with my 58 I would love to do a KH. :tour

Whip
20th July 2005, 01:14
Panhead, check out the newest catalog (V-Twin), page 138. They are listed there at $92.15. I have a partner who is a dealer for V-Twin so I get a discount below catalog price. Helps a bunch.

choppediron
20th July 2005, 01:17
i have an 1982 XLH and I get everything from Fog Hollow and J&P Cycles

:banana

Panhead
20th July 2005, 22:17
Whip, thanks for the ref. My catalog has different pages from yours, but maybe you have their part #. I think I saw one once that they had for under a hundred bucks and they said it was for my year, and while it fits, it is not original style, which was long in back extending to axel line.

Thanks, :tour

Whip
20th July 2005, 22:56
Panhead, Oops, meant page 1138. And you are right, the original style is $337.70. I checked the price on the one next to it as it says stock also. And I was thinking Sportster and not K Model which is the fender you need. I'll check with my partner, a friend of his recently died and he had a bunch of early parts, (K Mods, Knuckle, Pan, etc.) See if I cant help you locate one.

1983XLH
13th September 2007, 06:39
I was looking through a V-Twin Manufacturing catalog and they sure seem to have a lot of parts for the Ironhead. The only thing I bought from them so far is a tool to remove the plugs on the primary cover. It seems to be of good quality. However, a few threads on V-Twin indicates that it is cheap Taiwanese junk to be avoided at all costs. Is this true? Somethings they sell must be OK.

The J&P stuff I got so far seems OK. For example, the fender rails are nice, but I have not tried fitting them yet. I bet they are made in the same place as the ones in the DS catalog. I did go with a OEM tank. I did not want anything less for such a high profile item. I also only want OEM engine parts, unless there is no way to get them anymore. I think my eBay special came with V-Twin primary and gear case chrome covers. They look OK, but I would rather have the OEMs, even if I had to polish them for hours to get them looking good. :geek

samppa
13th September 2007, 06:59
My guess is that nowadays most of the aftermarket parts for ironhead come from the same source... Yep, Taiwan.

I have the same policy as you, I always look first if there's an oem part available (if I'm looking for replacement parts). But more often that not, there isn't and then I'll just browse the ebay / web shos and buy the part for the lowest price I can find.

Actually sometimes nos parts can be found even cheaper than taiwanese crap, for example when I needed a new primary cover last spring, chromed taiwanese pos would have cost more than genuine part (ok, genuine part is polished). Didn't have to think twice which one to get...

DC in PHX
13th September 2007, 07:31
I can't give you a suggestion on a good supplier, but V Twin stuff is absoulte CRAP IMO.

Good Luck

DC

Gone
13th September 2007, 09:00
I buy most of my stuff from J&P Cycles-for several reasons. Their customer service is second to none. The catalog tells you whether or not a particular part is mad in the USA, or not. (look for the flag) And, they send me a Christmas card every year. Wal-Mart don't send me no Christmas cards........I'm loyal to my friends, and J&P Cycle is my friend.

MDT
13th September 2007, 15:10
I use J&P stuff also. There are better deals out there I am sure, but the service is great and they are very understanding on returns.

tprJJ49707
13th September 2007, 15:40
As far as Ti made stuff, the rubber boots and soft parts can't be all bad, OEM/NOS is optimal for hard parts but I have had fork boots, and a other small rubber parts out of the wrapper from H.D. that disingrated in less than six months.

gomorley
13th September 2007, 16:28
Just bought some Drag Secialties Smoked indicator lenses and guess where there from, Taiwan

CosmoTG
13th September 2007, 18:16
I was told by my local mechanic that J P cycle parts mostly come from V-Twin and I have seen parts that I have ordered from J P come in V-Twin packaging. As far as quality it seems to be a "Roll the dice" situation. Anything cam be made to look good in a photograph. Return policies are always a good thing to consider. I always look for suppliers with I have good luck in the past. If someone deliberately intercourses (Sc**w's) you be sure to let others know. Word of mouth may best leverage if a supplier wants to stay in business...Cos

Campsurf
13th September 2007, 18:29
I wouldn't write off any of these guys. If we don't buy it, there will come a time when they go out of business and then where will you get your parts... the junk yard?

I use a little discretion and shop around... having bought "real" chrome back in the early 70s, I don't think too much of the chrome on parts these days.. some stuff is OK but most is junk. I think the answer here is to adapt... or die.

Or..... start making your own stuff and learn how to powdercoat.. You think you have it bad as an Ironhead owner... try Triumphs or Indians or HD 45s... it's savager hunt to find stuff.. be glad they still make decent seats...

Jim

jagdprcp
13th September 2007, 18:41
J&P, Drag Specialities, Custom Chrome and even V-Twin are all distributors. They sell parts that other companies make. V-Twin buys most of their stuff from overseas manufacturers then rebrand it as V-Twin Mfg. Most of the others do as well. V-Twin sells a lot of hard to find parts. Some are worth their weight in gold but most are cheap knock offs.

chevy57harley79
13th September 2007, 19:01
I bought brand new calipers front and rear for my 79. They were chrome and two of the three needed to be rebuilt as they leaked immediately after adding fluid. Too much chrome in to many places. I was a little disappointed, next time I would just buy the painted black ones....

BuckIRyder
13th September 2007, 19:03
All depends on what you're buying and who makes it. Folks like S&S,Andrews, Colony, Barnett,Dyna, Crane,Rowe, Manley, etc. make quality stuff that fits. But I would not buy an aftermarket primary cover for example from any of the major suppliers because its most certain to be imported and have fit or finish issues. I'd look for a good used OEM one and rehab as necessary to suit my needs.

joestuff
13th September 2007, 19:49
I look mainly for nos stuff, but I have got alot of stuff that is either JPs or v-twin. The JPs clutch cable was crap. I got a barnett, and it much better. I always try for the brand name stuff when I order from JP's. V-twin has some good stuff, like axles, wheel bearings, internal throttle control. All that functional not chrome stuff that I have got V-twin brand has been great.

gomorley
13th September 2007, 21:27
Just fitted some Drag Specialities smoked indicator lenses and can't fault them. 20.00 as opposed to 42.00 for Harley ones. Which would you get ?

Crowbar
15th September 2007, 20:05
I got a lot of stuff from JP Cycle. Some of it was in V-Twin packaging. JP Cycle does have good service but some of the stuff was weird. Had to bend the bracket to fit the pipes and one of them will not tighten up no matter how much I crank on the clamp. The footpeg rubbers were cheap enough but they are disintegrating imediatly.Too cheap. Corbin saddle dosn't really fit that well, had to jack it up a bit so it won't foul the key. Tank badges said they come with scews but don't.

1983XLH
16th September 2007, 06:54
Just fitted some Drag Specialities smoked indicator lenses and can't fault them. 20.00 as opposed to 42.00 for Harley ones. Which would you get ?

When it comes to turn signal lenses, I usually choose OEM. I put the "Aurora" tail light and turn signals from Custom Chrome on a '97 Sportster and noticed right away the lenses did not have the jewel-like quality of the OEM ones. They used screws, which if you were not careful, the lens would crack. At the time, the "New" Indian Motorcycles came with this same set-up, so I figured they would be real nice. I'm trying J&P turn signals on my '83 project. The old style H-D turn signals are hard to find.

I live about 2 hours from the Harley engine factory and the P&A warehouse. It's actually harder to find NOS in Wisconsin because so many people here only ride the local product. There is a lot of demand and people have cleaned out the dealers' supply of "obsolete" parts. Still, you get lucky now and then. Just takes a lot of driving from dealer to dealer, but is fun when you score a rare part.

BTW - I always heard Warr's had a good supply of parts. I went their several years ago, but it was the Chelsea store that mainly had clothing and accessories. I did not have the time to find the main shop. :frownone

samppa
16th September 2007, 10:30
I live about 2 hours from the Harley engine factory and the P&A warehouse. It's actually harder to find NOS in Wisconsin because so many people here only ride the local product. There is a lot of demand and people have cleaned out the dealers' supply of "obsolete" parts. Still, you get lucky now and then. Just takes a lot of driving from dealer to dealer, but is fun when you score a rare part.

Couple of online sources for nos parts:
www.nosparts.com (I scored my new primary cover here, ok price & fast delivery to Finland)
www.jwboon.nl (I've bought various parts from Boon, but some items are a bit expensive)

runingmouse
17th September 2007, 03:10
www.jwboon.nl (I've bought various parts from Boon, but some items are a bit expensive)

They don't ship to America. I don't do business with places that refuse to share. F-em! IMO

J&P have treated me well.

idiggplants
19th September 2007, 19:47
another vote for jpcycles. mostly due to there return policy. if i get it, dont like it, i dont install it, and send it back..

most of there chrome covers and that nonsense are junk.. silk think chrome on the parts, but good luk finding a place that does otherwise...

1983XLH
20th September 2007, 05:47
"They [Boon] don't ship to America. I don't do business with places that refuse to share. F-em! IMO"

It appears from their website, that is true. However, the USA NOS shop does seem to ship to Europe. Very unfair, I agree. :boxing The USA business will share with the Ironheads in Europe, but the guy in the Netherlands will not share his stuff with American or Canadian Ironheads. We are probably better off, their prices are high, shipping is high, and I would think returns nealy impossible. I suggest using that web site for information only.

:us: :caflag:

samppa
20th September 2007, 07:05
"They [Boon] don't ship to America. I don't do business with places that refuse to share. F-em! IMO"

It appears from their website, that is true. However, the USA NOS shop does seem to ship to Europe. Very unfair, I agree. :boxing The USA business will share with the Ironheads in Europe, but the guy in the Netherlands will not share his stuff with American or Canadian Ironheads. We are probably better off, their prices are high, shipping is high, and I would think returns nealy impossible. I suggest using that web site for information only.

:us: :caflag:

Sorry, I didn't notice they don't ship to USA. Can't imagine any reason for that, usually european shops ship anywhere, I've seen more US shops that don't ship outside US.

Rudy2
27th September 2007, 19:32
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a Harley Dealer for factory parts? Hopefully someone who doesn't price gouge and has great service? Thanks!

PS - I am near Seattle but am fine with doing mail order.

Randy
1982 XLH

PaulDM
27th September 2007, 19:55
Zanotti motor company, treated me right and they can run as much as 25% off dealer retail

http://www.zanottimotor.com/

1983XLH
28th September 2007, 02:40
I buy a lot from Chicago Harley-Davidson. 20% off P&A list prices most of the time and no state tax charged if you live outside of Illinois. Reasonable shipping costs. Their website has a search engine that returned information on any part number I ever entered in. Provides part description, list price and the 20% discounted price. However, it will not tell you if the part is obsolete. That is done during the odering process via email.

http://www.chicagoharley.com/shop/

I believe they will ship outside the USA. They do a big volume and I have talked to customer service as late as 8:00 pm CST. The only thing is you need a H-D Parts Catalog and know how to use it. Search is by part number. I also think they will supply items from some major aftermarket companies like Drag Specialties.

I still like to do business at my local dealer, but for larger orders you can't beat this method of obtaining parts from the MoCo's P&A Division. :D

JrFans
24th November 2007, 22:47
Hello all. I bought an '84 Ironhead back in March of this year and so far I have rebuilt the top end of the engine (new pistons, pins, heads redone, carb rebuilt, etc...etc..), modded a 4 gallon quick tank to fit, modded a FL style cats-eye dash and speedo to fit, modded a fat-bob rear fender to it, modded a set of billet aluminum forward controls from an '03 sporty to fit, put on 10" heritage style handle bars w/ 4" risers and a few other things here and there.

My question (problem) is where do I go to find after-market parts for it that I don't have to mod to make it fit. Or where to find exhaust other than plain old straight drag pipes or wife burners (a pipe marketed as "WetDreamz", they exit out right over the rear passenger pegs). I don't mind tooling a little bit for clearance but some of these things have been major projects and I'd rather ride than machine parts.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, 'cause I love the old school feel of my ironhead and don't want to go to an Evo just for ease of parts. Thanks

XLH75Rider
24th November 2007, 23:08
Try these links.

www.sportyspecialties.com/

www.jpcycle.com

www.jirehcycles.com/

www.zoomcyclellc.com/

These are just a few. Google "Ironhead", "Sportster Parts" or "HD Sportster". They are out there it just takes a little searching

JrFans
24th November 2007, 23:21
Thanks. I'll give them a try. Already do a little business with J&P. Very quick with their shipping and their prices aren't too outrageous, but their selection for an early '84 ironhead is kinda limited.

Crowbar
24th November 2007, 23:41
I got the cheap Milwaulkie Twins pipes with muffs from J&P. Had to bend the bracket to clear the passenger peg and can't seem to get them to seal properly to the head.

JrFans
25th November 2007, 00:15
I got the cheap Milwaukee Twins pipes with muffs from J&P. Had to bend the bracket to clear the passenger peg and can't seem to get them to seal properly to the head.

You might try an aftermarket 2 piece exhaust clamp, instead of the original type one piece and see if that tightens them up any.

I'll have to go back and look again at the Milwaukee's. Are they using a band type mounting bracket or the T-posts?

1983XLH
25th November 2007, 00:57
http://www.cycle-shack.com/cycle/agora.cgi?cart_id=9541522.22550*dW4oc1&next=10&product=Muffler+Pipes

These are the same muffler pipes (M-Pipes) that the MoCo offered for IronHeads under their brand back in the 80s. They fit well and have heat shields available as an option. Make sure to get a "brake pedal stop" (plus a 1/4" bolt and two nuts) to keep the rear brake pedal horizontal. I bought mine at Fog Hollow, but are listed in most other aftermarket catalogs as well.

Also, I assume you have a V-Twin catalog. J&P repackages a lot of their stuff and sells it under their own catalog numbers. Zoom Cycle www.zoom4parts.com is a direct distributor of V-Twin. V-Twin has a huge XL / IronHead section in their catalog and the items I bought so far have been fine. V-Twin seems to be the only company that has a new replacement 4 speed IronHead transmission available. J&P also sells the same tranny in their catalog, but V-Twin in the manufacturer.

waiteitei
25th November 2007, 01:32
www.usatwins.com better prices than j&p

JrFans
25th November 2007, 02:14
What I would really like to find is something like the Big Guns "Slashers" style exhaust, but I haven't been able to find anything even close.

I thought about buying a box of bends, to try to fab up my own, but I'm not really sure as to what I would need, as far as required flow and back pressures. Maybe a stepped header type design, 1 3/4" going to 2". Then again, How long a length on the 1 3/4" to get the required back pressure to maintain bottom end torque.

ct_miller13
26th November 2007, 23:06
www.foghollow.com and www.bikebandit.com may be of help.

faulkdizzle
6th January 2008, 01:44
does anyone know of a good catalog that sales alot of accessories and parts for a 1982 xls ironhead, thanks.

Folkie
6th January 2008, 02:11
I don't know about a catalogue, but Sporty Specialities (http://www.sportyspecialties.com) sell a lot of parts for old Sportsters.

Folkie
6th January 2008, 02:17
I've just checked; they do have a catalogue (http://sportyspecialties.googlepages.com/SportySpecialitiesCatalog1withpricel.pdf).

IronMick
6th January 2008, 02:30
Check out the Sticky "IronHead WebSites". Lots of good references there.

-stinky-
6th January 2008, 03:28
I've had some good luck with bikebandit.com when I couldn't find something in the usual catalogs (J&P, Jireh, etc...). There are exploded pics of all the major components and you can get almost any part that is still made from them. I've found a lot of small hard to find replacement parts for my 80 with them.

Moon Wolf
6th January 2008, 04:17
Yeah, and Sporty Specialities will get you anything fast, whether it's in their catalog or not. If you call, you get to speak with a person that really knows Sportsters and not just a sales person (about half the time, you get the owner). I'm giving them this shameless plug, because they've been good to me. They match or beat everyone else's prices and ship fast.

iamarcher
6th January 2008, 15:04
The cheapest place i've found is jireh cycles. they had me a free catalog in less than a week. this thing is huge, kinda like a phone book. it also has nice pictures of how parts fit together. it covers all harleys, not just sportsters. www.jirehcycles.com . Their website sucks, but their catalog is awesome.

iamarcher
6th January 2008, 15:14
I just wanted to let everyone know about the catalog from www.jirehcycles.com . i've heard the name on this forum before thats how I found it. Just in case somebody doesn't know this is the cheapest place I've found. Go to the site and order the free catalog, it doesn't require a credit card or anything. The diagrams rock if you need a picture of how things fit together. They ship fast. Anyway enough of the BJ for them, I just wanted to make sure everyone knew about it.

sbtfan
6th January 2008, 15:50
They are definately a great company. i have placed several big orders with them for my rebuild and you just cant beat their prices, not to mention free shipping. there is only two drawbacks: 1. they have no experienced mechanics or tech support for their products and 2. a lot of parts are on backorder so i def recommend calling to check availability of parts before placing a order. and if you cant find what you are looking for there, v-twin manufacturing carries a lot of old school parts, especially for ironheads.

fafcpa
6th January 2008, 16:25
Ordered the catalog about a month ago and still waiting for its arrival!

Fred

Bill2
6th January 2008, 16:50
Also the Dennis kirk catalog is free too and about the same size. A plus for Dennis kirk is they do cod's if you don't have a credit card or don't want to use it online. I've been using them since they opened over 20 years ago with great service everytime.

rons72
6th January 2008, 16:55
back ordered stuff if ordered online and is in your parts that makes your order over the min order price for free shipping,when it comes in it ships free also

scottgearman
6th January 2008, 17:13
Just a word about Dennis Kirk...
I ordered a set of handle bars from them a couple of years back and after running the wiring through and bolting them down we found that the top bar (they are T-bars) was welded on in the wrong position and because of the releif for the rear brake resivour the rear brake lever was almost pointing straight UP.... I was out $100's and HOURS and I was told " If you already bolted them on, you own them. " I explained the propblem to 3 different people and ended up writing a letter to the president of the company and got NO reply....

iamarcher
6th January 2008, 17:54
I bought a solenoid from my local dealer for $50.00. Chinese made factory part. It had continuity across all of the terminals, so obviously the starter motor ran as soon as the battery was connected. I went the next day to return it only to notice the big sign that said "NO RETURNS ON ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS". Their "Head" mechanic told me there was no way it could be tested without he whole bike. He assured me I needed an entire starter. I tried to show them the problem with my multimeter, but nobody cared. I talked to the parts manager, and the operations manager. funny though a $10.00 american made solenoid repair kit fixed that chinese solenoid right up.

fdny37
6th January 2008, 19:57
Have used Jireh with no problems. The only thing that I found was they don't have as broad a selection of parts for the Ironhead as V-Twin does. But you definitely can't beat their prices.

theoldog
7th January 2008, 03:10
I've ordered a lot of stuff from Jireh over the last few years-can't beat their prices and service-free shipping on orders over $75.00. Only problem I have ever had as stated earlier is backorders. Have also ordered from Dennis Kirk-they have some parts I haven't been able to find elsewhere, reasonable, but not as good as Jireh. If I see a part in about any other catalog, I fugure I can get it for about half to 2/3rds from Jireh.

Rascal
7th January 2008, 13:27
I've bought from Jirehs, low prices, never had any problems.

Hopper
11th January 2008, 10:45
Well, I am just about ready to order a shipload of parts for my '77, including kicker gears, clutch hub, clutch gear, carb rebuild kit, genny brushes, various rubbers, primary chain and tensioner, etc etc. About $1000 worth all up.

J&P Cycles seem like the easiest for me to deal with, because they do international shipping, which many others don't.

Does anyone have firsthand experience of what sort of quality parts J&P sell for Ironheads? Some of their stuff is Andrews or Accel etc so I assume it's good, but what about no-name parts like the clutch hubs and kicker gears?

I would appreciate if anyone could let me know of their experience with J&P parts - either good or bad - before I part with my hard earned cash.

Thanks
Hopper

AussieGazza
11th January 2008, 11:05
I just bought quality stainless steel hose components from them with no regrets. Excellent service and from my POV, great prices.

Just fitted and great brakes mate!

bplinson
11th January 2008, 11:41
I don't think J&P makes their own parts. Are you sure they are no name part? Do you have the part number? I would like to check it out because I am curious.

Folkie
11th January 2008, 12:15
I don't have any experience buying Ironhead parts from them, but my experience may still be relevant.

The branded parts from well known manufacturers are, of course, exactly as you'd get elsewhere. The no name parts, however, can be of doubtful quality.

BuckIRyder
11th January 2008, 12:19
All depends on who the manufacturer is. Some of their catalog stuf comes from well established aftermarket suppliers and some is imported stuff that may not fit or work well. I've had excellent service from J&P. One time I bought a new rear brake pedal from them. It was imported ,well made though and nicely chromed. But it had a slightly different curve to it and did not fit. They refunded my money promptly. Just my 2 cents.

gusotto
11th January 2008, 12:22
I don't think J&P makes their own parts. Are you sure they are no name part? Do you have the part number? I would like to check it out because I am curious.

They are a fine company to work with.
You don't become the worlds largest Harley after-market parts dealer with shoddy service or parts.
Super people!

If anyone has a question regarding a part, they can easily call their tech-support line and they'll be glad to answer any questions regarding quality/fit/where they come from, etc.
They will even get the part from the warehouse and describe it to you on the phone.
Handy note regarding parts is anything made in the good-old USA has a USA flag next to the item.:banana
I try to support the USA manufacturers whenever I can but sometimes it isn't possible. That's life....

stealthammer
11th January 2008, 13:41
I've done business with J&P for years and have been very satisfied with their service. They aren't always the cheapest, but they've always been fast, accurate and trouble-free.

sjeccles
11th January 2008, 13:48
I was Just there yesterday picking up a new battery for my 77. I have bought alot of parts from J&P and anytime I have had a problem they have taken care of it. I was just there Sunday and returned some parts I had bought for projects and never used, some I had for almost 2 years. They took them back no questions asked. Althought they were all new and still in the package try that at a dealership.

Rob Henderson
11th January 2008, 14:24
I have used J&P quite a bit and I have had good service and quality. Only good revues from me so far.

FSZEKE302
11th January 2008, 14:38
No Ironhead here, however I've ordered a good bit of stuff from them. I've been Very satisfied with the Products and the Service. Had one part related problem and they went well beyond my expectations to make me happy. Zeke

joestuff
11th January 2008, 14:44
I have had no real problems with JP branded parts. Got a lot of little stuff with them over the years. They can cost a bit more, but if you join the Gold Club you get 10% off, 15% on sale days(most parts, read small print. No tires). The best part is the return policy. Before 120 days, no restock fee, after that 10%. I buy a bunch of crap I might need, and return the rest.

Moon Wolf
11th January 2008, 15:12
It's pretty much the same parts everywhere, so service and price are the two issues. You can always beat J&P prices, even with their so-called "Gold Club," but I've heard a lot of bikers say their service is better than many.

I don't use them, though. I like to support independent dealers, places where they know your name and bike.

And yes, there are a few small guys out there--difficult but sweet to find--that make and sell really fine parts, but they are the exception and sooner or later almost everyone has to dance with the devil and use dodgy (usually V-Twin) parts. When you do, it's nice to have a real live flesh-and-blood vendor to at best help you make it work and at worst bitch to.

Rascal
11th January 2008, 15:46
Haven't ever ordered anything as of yet from J & P cycles, do have their catalog now though. I've heard & read nothing but good things about the company myself.

Big_Baazzoo
11th January 2008, 15:55
Never had a problem with anything from J&P. Brand name stuff, good prices, fast shipping and easy no hassle returns, even when it was my fault I ordered the wrong part. I highly recommend them.

SpringerSam
11th January 2008, 16:03
Very satisfied but a little more expensive than others...

snowman
11th January 2008, 16:03
I've done business with J&P for years and have been very satisfied with their service. They aren't always the cheapest, but they've always been fast, accurate and trouble-free.
Same here from me.....:banana:banana:banana

Great customer service too....:smoke

phantom
11th January 2008, 16:08
They are excellent to do business with.Have an outstanding selection of parts.

1stharley
11th January 2008, 16:59
Just bought an ignition switch for mine yesterday from the dealer because this guy i know who builds choppers told me he's had problems with aftermarket switches .Picked up my switch at the HD dealer and it had Harley all over the box except for a sticker in the corner that says made in taiwan.Good thing it did'nt cost much more than JP's because i'm pretty sure at this point that they are th same part.

Crowbar
11th January 2008, 17:08
I got a lot of J&P parts. They were usually cheaper than the V-Twin catalog.
Funny stuff I got,

Milwaulkie Twins Pipes, took some bracket bending to make em fit, can't seem to get them to seal to the heads

Footpeg rubbers, Shifter rubber, cheap enough, like $4 but they are disolving before my eyes, they look worn out and there new

Corbin seat. no instructions no hardware no clear way to attach it. Had to get creative.

Other stuff I got all fit perfectly, saddle bag rails, rocker oil lines, tach cable, and other little stuff.

Folkie
11th January 2008, 18:27
Sometimes H-D sell off parts they're deleting from the catalogue, and you can get them from J&P. Several times I've bought 'no name' parts from J&P only to find it's actually an H-D part in an H-D box.

stealthammer
11th January 2008, 19:39
Hey just a quick heads-up: Their annual catalog is also available on a free CD (check their website) and it is always my first stop when looking for a part. It's the fastest way to find a part and is easier to navigate than their website.

Lance65
11th January 2008, 21:16
If you haven't ordered your parts from them yet and you are going to order them by this Saturday(1.12.2008) you can use this offer code 1813 to receive a 10% discount on most of what they offer.
Lance

sprtrjl
12th January 2008, 01:41
I think most of their "No Name" parts are either Drag Specialties or Bikers Choice aren't they? :dunno

Hopper
12th January 2008, 12:35
Hey, thanks for the feedback, guys. Sounds like J&P are as good as they look. I have their catalog so I'm a bit like the proverbial kid in the candy store at the moment.

As far as price goes, even with airfreight included, J&P is at least half the price, of what local indy shops in Australia want for Custom Chrome etc parts.

I went to my local Harley dealer today and idly inquired how much a sissy bar like the one on a bike on his showroom floor would cost, because it looked like it would fit my old 77 Ironhead.
$500, he told me with a straight face. :laugh No shame.

So, I reckon, J&P it is for this rebuild project.

Thanks again,
Hopper

khaskins
12th January 2008, 15:41
I think most of their "No Name" parts are either Drag Specialties or Bikers Choice aren't they? :dunno

Nope, but they look like their from the same manufacturer.

I think the guys @ J&P are great. I order most of my parts fromt them. New time you order from them request a vintage parts catalog. Some of the stuff in there is cool and I bet you could figure out how to get it to fit a newer sportster.

HrdlyDangrs
12th January 2008, 16:42
Good people to deal with. Any problems just contact them. They do have a Vintage Catalog that has more items for early Sportsters and B/T then what's shown in their Big catalog or at least everything in the Vintage Catalog is aimed towards your Ironhead years.

See if you can use the BillMeLater offer. That's where you get your parts now, but have up to six months of no payments or interest if you pay the full balance by the due date. Saves on using your own cash and credit card now. kind of like getting a new temporary credit card. :smoke Hrdly

XLFREAK
12th January 2008, 17:11
I have a friend who spends alot of money with them. I was going to buy my service manual from them since it was less then my harely dealer untill the shipping was added then my dealer was less money. It seems we get screwed here in Alaska on shipping. Companies want to make money on shipping on top of there products.

sportglide
12th January 2008, 23:58
My epxerience is the same. Not the cheapest prices, but definitely the best service. Frankly, I quit shopping for a better price because the service is so good. I've had a couple of fit issues that they went the extra mile to resolve. This is a five-star (out of five) company.

04newhog
13th January 2008, 00:02
Check out Jireh prices for Ironhead parts. Usually better prices.

kerby
14th January 2008, 17:10
I also didnt recieve some catalogs,but when I ordered them using internt explorer instead of mozila the catalogs came in.

Wm R Kerby

ReddTigger
14th January 2008, 17:53
So...

Does anyone know the proper Pronunciation of...

JIREH ??

Bob F
14th January 2008, 18:56
Requested catalog a week ago, got it today. Big catalog. Good deals. Go for it.

RemnantRider7
14th January 2008, 18:58
"Jireh" Means Provider . or will provide , a term used often in the old testament. I think Jireh cycles will go all out to provide the best to its customers . a tech ? it wont be long...................

76xlch
14th January 2008, 19:37
Jireh's has the best prices that I've found so far. Take for example, a part that is discussed on here quite often and something I may upgrade to this summer-the Crane Hi-4 Single Fire Ignition and Coil. J&P price $420, Dennis Kirk $399, and Jireh's $285!! Ok, you do get a set of plug wires with the other two "kits" but I hope they're gold plated for that price difference. Only downfalls I see with Jireh is no techs, limited ironhead parts, and their website is somewhat difficult to navigate searching by keywords, but if you already know what you're after, they're tits!:D

CourtHouseCustom
19th January 2008, 03:22
V-Twin is the ONLY source in my book for all of the older Harley stuff. They have OEM replacement parts for ALL Harley's. A lot of the older OEM parts that the Harley Dealers order as "Harley" parts are actually V-Twin parts. Their catalog has four major sections Big Twin, Classic, XL and Multi-Fit.......Pan Heads, Ironheads, Shovel Heads, Flat Heads and Evo, they have it all!!!. From AMF tank emblems to pinion shaft and OEM replacement brake levers, they have EVERY part you would ever need for an Ironhead.

vtwinmfg.com

Later, D.J.

gm1ll
19th January 2008, 04:06
Whatever happened to Texas Iron??

Ironhead_Chris
19th January 2008, 04:10
i'll second CourtHouseCustom's V-Twin recommendation, and also suggest J&P's specialized "Vintage & Restoration Catalog" that specializes in parts for 1929 to 1984 Harley parts. both are free. order from the web.

CrazyHorse
19th January 2008, 05:14
V-TWIN SUCKS! I never liked em......as bad as buying from the HD dealer!!!

I vote for Sporty Specialties & Jireh as the top two.

The Jireh catalog "is" HUGE & free & they send it so fast it blows your mind.

It seems to have everything & great prices ( for HD parts).

KC motorcycle parts in Dayton Ohio is great. Good parts CHEAP. They sell on Ebay as KC enterprises I think.

Then J&P........ if ya have to.

Custom Chrome stuff can usually be found on ebay at greatly discounted prices.

Matter of fact..........Ebay is great for used stuff or bought but never used stuff as well as new stuff.

Again......I personally avoid the over priced V-TWIN junk like the plague.

But to each their own.

samppa
19th January 2008, 08:12
does anyone know of a good catalog that sales alot of accessories and parts for a 1982 xls ironhead, thanks.

You can actually still get a lot of parts from harley for 1982... And many OEM parts are of better quality than aftermarket and they usually fit better than repros made in taiwan.

Get a parts catalog for your bike and shop for example from Chicago harley, they have -20% off of oem parts.

About V-Twin... They carry some vintage parts that cannot be found from other catalogs, I recommend getting their catalog, too. I cannot say if they are selling sh*t, most of the parts in V-Twin catalog are just the same that are sold by CC, Drag Specialties etc.

I'm on the market for cams and just checked jireh, they seem to have really competitive pricing.

t&tkennels
24th January 2008, 04:07
Ive purchased many parts from j&p ,well i say many, probaly 10 items.Great service ! No problems here !

carmine73
24th January 2008, 04:50
I just ordered a jireh cat cause their website sux but i hear tell round the forum they have a lot of kew stuff. I still wanna know where to buy those blitz cylindres i like their profile!!! I use j&p all the time never had a problem yet even returned a part I messed up trying to mount and i told them i did it they where more than happy to get me the right part with a minimal cost to me which was really nice of them.

SamIam
26th January 2008, 22:39
I too have used J&P and bought a lot of parts for my 77 XL.
I did have a issue with a lower shock stud kit that was represented as two in the catalog...it took about 6 months to resolve. I never did get the washers. They did try to resolve the issue multiple times (kept sending me one stud with no hardware). I think they finally corrected their catalog after several years. I can say despite that run around that I still shop with them. Jireh has the annoying habit of canceling anything they do not have in stock. I have ordered from them a few times...only got part of what I ordered once. The rest was all canceled. It's a rough world out there. ;)

CrazyHorse
26th January 2008, 22:43
I too have used J&P and bought a lot of parts for my 77 XL.
I did have a issue with a lower shock stud kit that was represented as two in the catalog...it took about 6 months to resolve. I never did get the washers. They did try to resolve the issue multiple times (kept sending me one stud with no hardware). I think they finally corrected their catalog after several years. I can say despite that run around that I still shop with them. Jireh has the annoying habit of canceling anything they do not have in stock. I have ordered from them a few times...only got part of what I ordered once. The rest was all canceled. It's a rough world out there. ;)

BUT--------->
Would you, could you........eat green eggs and ham on a 77 XL?????
:p

CosmoTG
2nd February 2008, 17:42
For what its worth, this the fourth time I have ordered parts from this company and not only did they seem to have the best prices but always ship within a few days. I ordered on Monday night and received my order Friday. They even e-mailed a notice of what was back ordered. Free shipping on orders of +75.00. I have ordered from every one...they seem to be the best for me so far...Cos

Bob F
2nd February 2008, 17:46
Their giant free catalog has some great illustrations worthy of a shop manual. I recommend getting one.

http://www.jirehcycles.com/

KC_Sporty_Gal
2nd February 2008, 17:48
I've had bad luck with them but it's been over a year so maybe they've improved. I ordered something, they charged my card. It never came, never came, never came so I finally called them and they told me it was on back order.

Rascal
2nd February 2008, 17:54
We have a Jireh's here where I live so I've never ordered anything, but have bought numerous things from them in the past.

SpringerSam
2nd February 2008, 17:55
KC,

What a trip!

el jinete fantasma
2nd February 2008, 22:55
I guess the key is to make sure they have something in stock before ordering. When they have what you want, the service is excellent.

Rascal
3rd February 2008, 01:11
I guess the key is to make sure they have something in stock before ordering. When they have what you want, the service is excellent.

I agree, but that's true of all places. Bad to finally have the money and then can't just go buy it then and there.

theoldog
3rd February 2008, 06:27
Done a lot of business with them-the only time I use anybody else is if they don't have the part. You can usually figur on payin a lot less with Jireh-great to deal with!

rayzer13
13th March 2008, 22:03
Damn J&P Cycles I ordered a cluch basket 2 weeks ago for my 1974 xlch and the assholes didnt tell me that ther not in stock and have been waiting for months for there stock to come in anyone out there know who to call or a web site that might have them.

IronMick
13th March 2008, 22:11
Damn J&P Cycles I ordered a cluch basket 2 weeks ago for my 1974 xlch and the assholes didnt tell me that ther not in stock and have been waiting for months for there stock to come in anyone out there know who to call or a web site that might have them.

Check out the IronHead WebSites Sticky post. There are some good ideas there.

hawk mechanic
13th March 2008, 22:13
try here :V-twin mfr
http://www.vtwinmfg.com/Catalog1/VTwinCatalogIndex1.htm
you probabally can go to your local indy and pick up a catalog to keep around. i have one, and i love it, it has about everything.

Joe

Ivan RoachCoach
13th March 2008, 22:14
http://www.nosparts.com/

You need to make a minimum $20 purchase, but their stuff is top-notch. It's like your own personal time-machine.

rayzer13
13th March 2008, 22:22
thanks dudes I'll try em

Campsurf
13th March 2008, 23:03
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-ORIGINAL-HARLEY-SPORTSTER-CLUTCH-HUB-BASKET_W0QQitemZ290213162992QQihZ019QQcategoryZ355 77QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one might work for you,

Jim

simonster123
13th March 2008, 23:16
Sporty Specialties is in the sticky - I've had good luck with them in the past and the best thing is that they specialize in Sportsters. They have the repro stuff as well as used and NOS parts.
NOS Parts (the store/online vendor) as mentioned above is also great.
It pays to shop around!

russzx6
14th March 2008, 01:30
I get a lot of my stuff through Foghollow, talk to Bill there, a set of Keith Black pistons for my 77 Sporty were $139.95, in stock delivered to Oz in 5 days . .J&P price $189.95 for the same part. Plus J&P stuffed me about with a $700+ order for 4 weeks . .waiting on a $1.50 set of valve caps to complete the order

72 Ironhead XLH
14th March 2008, 04:24
www.nickscustomcycles.com
in NJ just off Atlantic city Expressway

Moon Wolf
14th March 2008, 05:17
Think the minimum order for NOS parts is $50.

I like Sporty Specialties for their personalized service and fast shipping.

GA_Ironhead
15th March 2008, 03:28
Here's the full list of Midwest-MC dealers. Beware their in-stock availability as well.

http://www.parts123.com/motorcycle_parts.htm

ChickenCoupeSpecial
15th March 2008, 04:41
Road Dog Cycle in Denair, CA has a ton of NOS and used ironhead parts. www.roaddogcycle.com

snowman
1st April 2008, 23:05
Without getting into detail yet, I'd like to know where you guys get your Ironhead parts and which are the favorite vendors...:geek:geek:geek
I'm going to be messing with a 1980 vintage and I've looked a J&P (:wtfhe charges more than list for some parts!!!) and eBay...:wonderlan :wonderlan :wonderlan

Where do you guys recommend???

BDub
1st April 2008, 23:17
Jireh Cycles has a good catalog of older Sportster parts at a good price assuming the part is in stock. V-Twin has every part.

SpringerSam
1st April 2008, 23:19
I personally like V-Twin...

OutlawTexan67
1st April 2008, 23:25
I havent had any thing to do with Jireh but I know alot of people that say they are good but Ebay is still a good choice for the hard to get 79-80 parts and other parts as well.

SpringerSam
1st April 2008, 23:30
BDub...

Welcome to the Forum from Michigan.

Where are you from? Give us an introduction on a new thread!

Sam

Moon Wolf
1st April 2008, 23:43
See the sticky (at the top of the page--the threads in red) on Ironhead Websites. It will give you a lot of great sources.

IronMick
2nd April 2008, 00:08
I get virtually everything on eBay. Occasionally i go to my inde and order from a catalog - mainly to show support for him.

snowman
2nd April 2008, 00:19
Thanks, guys for the tip on Jireh and V-twin...:geek:geek:geek

I've been here for over 2 years now (over 3700 posts) so I don't think an intro is required...:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack

Just doing a new project with an ironhead (used to ride a 72 XLCH) and I could not find any threads with this title in a search...:wonderlan :wonderlan :wonderlan

IronMick
2nd April 2008, 00:30
OK i did a search on "Catalog" and selected the 9 threads where this question has been asked over the past 3 years or so. I merged the 9 threads into one and made it a new Sticky here:

http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=9097

russzx6
2nd April 2008, 00:36
Foghollow can be cheaper than J&P on some things . . .just got a set of +.050 Keith black pistons for $139.95 instead of the J&P price of $189.95

mike h
2nd April 2008, 01:21
i get 95 % of my parts from a local indy good prices good service great guy

snowman
2nd April 2008, 01:56
OK i did a search on "Catalog" and selected the 9 threads where this question has been asked over the past 3 years or so. I merged the 9 threads into one and made it a new Sticky here:

http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=9097
Thanks, Mick!!!! Got it bookmarked...:banana:banana:banana

wagoneer12
2nd April 2008, 02:25
I have gotten about 90% of my stuff from ebay. The rest from J&P.

ambulldogg
2nd April 2008, 02:46
hey russ try chopper tom. he has alot of new parts as well as his service! btw welcome to the forum!

:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack :roflblack:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack

snowman
2nd April 2008, 03:47
Thanks, wiseazzzzzzz......:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack

I talked to Tom and I'm taking my boxes of parts up to him once I get them. He said he'd take a look and give me a fair price to get it done...:wonderlan :wonderlan :wonderlan

Hopper
2nd April 2008, 12:02
Over the past three months I have ordered almost all parts for a ground-up rebuild of my 77 (bar the crankshaft) from www.jpcycles.com and their vintage catalogue. (I bought this bike new in 77, does that make me a vintage too?:wonderlan)
Overall, I am real happy with the quaility of parts I got from JP and the service. They are good for cheapest international shipping too. They sell a range of parts, some US-made Manley, S&S, Jims, etc, some V-Twin brand from Taiwan and some no name stuff.
I happened to notice that many genuine HD accessories at the local HD shop now have "Made in Taiwan" written on the packaging, so might as well get V-Twin brand for 1/4 the price.

JP have all sorts of large and small parts that you would not expect to find, from gearbox shims to handlebar switch internals and switch stickers to wheel rims, fenders etc and a full range of engine parts, except whole heads and for some reason wrist pin bushes.

I got a few parts like genuine HD pistons, and footpeg rubbers with the name cast in them and hard to get bits like wrist pin bushes from www.lshd1.com who are also great to deal with internationally. It is Lake Shore HD's parts site but you need to know the part number to look up or order anything, so need to have your own parts book. (Available from JPCycles)

HTH
Hopper.

Folkie
2nd April 2008, 12:31
The only H-D accessories I've seen that are made in Taiwan, China, etc are cosmetic parts, not functional ones.

jagdprcp
3rd April 2008, 19:18
Remember, you get what you pay for... Some of Taiwan Ted's (V-Twin) parts are good but others are crap!

EBay is good if you want OEM stuff but you have to be careful because some people don't have a clue as to what they have or they don't care...

Do your research so you know what you are looking for. This place is a good source of information.

jagdprcp
3rd April 2008, 19:20
The only H-D accessories I've seen that are made in Taiwan, China, etc are cosmetic parts, not functional ones.

That is true of Stock (OEM) HD stuff but not true at all in the Aftermarket.

Folkie
3rd April 2008, 19:22
That is true of Stock (OEM) HD stuff but not true at all in the Aftermarket.I'm talking about H-D aftermarket stuff.

snowman
4th April 2008, 00:44
Remember, you get what you pay for... Some of Taiwan Ted's (V-Twin) parts are good but others are crap! EBay is good if you want OEM stuff but you have to be careful because some people don't have a clue as to what they have or they don't care...Do your research so you know what you are looking for. This place is a good source of information.

This is just good advice all around...:geek:geek:geek

mjbogrand
6th July 2008, 19:14
I am in seattle tacoma area and can find sporty parts everywhere.Clutch baskets in stock here

Kilrcady
3rd August 2008, 04:20
I was told JP was a re-sellar of custom chrome return parts.Thats why there cheaper than most.I got some poor parts from them but I got what I paid for.I still order from them from time to time.I got a great local indie shop thats never steered me wrong.He helps me out even when he not getting any cash out of me.

Folkie
3rd August 2008, 09:40
But they aren't cheaper than most. The reasons for buying there are their great online catalogue, and they're great customer service, not the prices.

They do sell the remainders of discontinued H-D parts sometimes.

H A Butler
4th August 2008, 20:58
The IronHead is definitely "Classic". There is no substitute for perfection.
I still have the XLCH I bought in 1975. My wife tells everyone that I would part with her before giving up the Sportster.

Glad I found XL Forum - I plan to revive my old beast and maybe it will go another 33 yrs

lobo56
17th August 2008, 05:26
look at hogley.com i have rebuilt a 79 orphan from them i got most of the parts good luck

lobo56
17th August 2008, 15:17
great plaines cycle.com is also a good place to find parts too check out thier v-twin catalog

Monte03
18th October 2008, 22:26
For many NOS parts including CP1038 bolts for restoration go to
www.olddude.com

billeuze
7th July 2009, 06:14
anyone looking for Andrews cams for their ironhead the cheapest I found by far are at E&M motorcycles, http://www.e-m-cycle.com/. The set of R5's just bought from them where $59 cheaper than at Jireh, PB+s are $49 cheaper.

I had to call in the next day to adjust my order, they friendly and helpful. Delivery was quick. I'd recommend them.

I've seen so many comments here about Jireh being the cheapest for parts so I compared the ignition components I also bought at E&M. Yup Jireh would have been a bit cheaper but not enough to make up for the $59 savings in cams. Perhaps they are cheaper in everything but cams.

I found this low price for cams quite a while ago and bookmarked it. Then I waited til the Canadian dollar was more favourable and I ordered the cams I plan to use this winter.

scottericsonon
8th September 2009, 15:38
http://thejebbyshack.com/

jebby is a GREAT dude and has an enormous parts inventory (mostly used stuff) for ironheads

as seen on their site they turn out some pretty nice ironhead chops as well

he will ship stuff too if you call him up

DannySLC
29th December 2009, 11:25
All V-Twin parts can be ordered through ZOOM Cycle:
www.zoomcycleLLC.com
ZoomCycle@aol.com
Toll Free: 1-888-316-1994
Fax: 1-888-658-7150

I ordered their free catalog (1600 pages, 287 Sporty pages). It came in about 10 days with a price list & order form.

........+1

Gone
29th December 2009, 15:48
V-Twin (Ted's Cycle) is about it.... The have everything needed to to keep your Ironhead on the road. Check with your local non-stealership Harley shop, and ask to browse there catalog. Anything new or innovative is going to be hard to find.... I make a lot of my own stuff for that reason...

I would avoid Ted Cycle if you can, they have issues:censor

Gone
29th December 2009, 15:49
........+1

they ripped me, and were assholes about it too. may be takin a road trip soon :censor

rollin_in_xtc_1985
7th February 2010, 00:09
don't know if i am in right place or not but i am in need of factory rear turn signals ...so if anyone knows where i can get some i will be very grateful...closest thing i found was aftermarket from dennis kirk...HELP...lol !

billeuze
7th February 2010, 01:16
don't know if i am in right place or not but i am in need of factory rear turn signals ...so if anyone knows where i can get some i will be very grateful...closest thing i found was aftermarket from dennis kirk...HELP...lol !

That depends, If you are looking for new, you are in the right place. I'd be surprised if they don't have them at the stealerships, If not try NOS parts (there is a link earlier in this thread). If you are looking for used, PM me. I have a set in pretty good condition that I took off of my '85. Also if you need the page from the parts book with all the part numbers involved in turn signals, let me know and I'll post it.

But if youare looking for used, you shoulod probably be in the sticky (red section at top) called "WTB, WTS WTF" or something like that

Bill

Folkie
7th February 2010, 01:42
Also if you need the page from the parts book with all the part numbers involved in turn signals, let me know and I'll post it.
Please don't, as that would be copyright infringement.

billeuze
7th February 2010, 02:05
Please don't, as that would be copyright infringement.

Wow, one page, copyright infringemnt.

OK, written out by my fingers:
68435-84 Lamp with wire, amber
68572-64a Bulb, turn signal
68481-73 Gasket, turn signal lens
68483-73 Lens, turn signal
68482-73 Screw, turn signal lens (2 per light fixture)
68480-73 Support, rear turn signal lamp
7130W Lockwasher 3/8
4624 Bolt, 3/8-24x1-1/2 hex head

That's pretty much the whole assembly

Monte03
21st March 2010, 02:52
In the North East, see Rob at RETRO CYCLE, Hey I pulled up to his shop today and he had his 66CH outside, Rob was inside working on another early CH up on the lift, Good Shop and he has alot of Old Goodies in the rafters:
http://www.retrocycle.com/

IronMick
21st March 2010, 02:59
In the North East, see Rob at RETRO CYCLE, ...

I put it in the Recommended IronHead Mechanics Sticky.

tbftrev
10th May 2010, 14:58
My 81' has a pieced together front brake line from the P.O. I want to change this out so I can put new bars on not sure if Apes or Drags yet but the brake line has to be first. The connection at the Front master Cylinder is two bolts one into the MasterCylinder and another into that bolt (some sort of adapter) the bottom goes into the adapter to split it to the dual fronts. I am guessing this is a 3/8 -24 flare connection at the top and bottom BUT I cannot find anyting that will tell me this information. I have a shop manual and it is vague at the very least. I figured a few old heads would know more. Any help on how to change out this front brake line would really help out.

dukenstien84
22nd July 2010, 01:47
did you guys ever try preston cycle?...its a good one too you have to look in the antique catalog tho

dukenstien84
22nd July 2010, 16:47
im a parts guy in canada i can out source lots of parts just shoot me a message and let me know what you need and maybe i can get it for ya

ezmerf
22nd July 2010, 16:57
I need a front brake line for 74 XLCH with 8" tubes the hose I have is 54" long.Can't find anyone around here that can do a dbl flare so if I ordered one and had to flare it I'd be in the same boat I'm in now, shot me a PM and let me know the low down on one.
Also had a car mechanic told me to do what the guy in the previous post has but I don't trust that.

dukenstien84
22nd July 2010, 17:15
why wouldnt you just change it out to a double banjo with braided?...

ezmerf
22nd July 2010, 19:18
don't know what a dbl banjo is

ChuckM
7th March 2011, 16:05
I've had my Ironhead for only about a month now and haven't really gotten started with it yet, but one day when I noticed that some of the bolts near the passenger seat look like they came from a Home Depot I started wondering if it would be feasible to locate an inexpensive basketcase of the exact same bike to use as a parts source.
So far nothing has turned up at the local motorcycle swap meet or online; has anybody out there had any luck trying something like this? OK Chuck

rivethog
7th March 2011, 18:44
Since I have some time to kill.......
V-Twin/Tedd Cycle is pretty much the original "obsolete" H-D parts supplier. They've been in business for over 40years (they must be doing something right). They manufacture most of the parts that they sell under the V-Twin/York Drive Train/Edart Brakes/Volt Tech/Wyatt Gatling/Replica Rigids/M&M Control Cables/ etc.. Most of the "companies" that manufacture their parts are wholly owned subsidiaries of Tedd Cycle. Some of those parts are manufactured in the U.S.. Tedd Cycle is the supplier for most of the "other" H-D aftermarket sellers of "obsolete" H-D parts (Tedd Cycle even repackages for their "customers"). As has been stated previously, people have recieved V-Twin brand parts from other aftermarket suppliers, but has anyone EVER recieved a Custom Chrome, Drag Specialties, JP Cycles, etc. part FROM V-Twin? I've never experienced it in over 35yrs, and have never heard of it happening.
Are all of the parts they offer "top quality"? Hell no. BUT, they DO offer a variety of price/quality options. You want "genuine OEM H-D" parts? They offer a number of parts that are, with prices that reflect it. You want a super-cheapo-part just to get through the riding season? They've got that. You want "name-brand" stuff like S&S, Crane, Barnett, Russell, Andrews, Jim's, Delkron, etc.? They've got that too.
A lot of people "bash" V-Twin because they sell "Taiwan junk", but will turn right around and buy that EXACT same "Taiwan junk" (repackaged V-Twin) from another supplier and praise that supplier. Go figure.

One last note. Tedd Cycle isn't "all about the $$$$". They actually do care about their dealers. I've got a friend who ran an indie shop for 20yrs. His shop burned to the ground, and he decided to "retire" and not rebuild. He still wanted to do a "little work on the side". S&S told him to pound sand, even though he was sponsored by S&S for many years as a record holding T/F & P/S drag bike rider, and had been an authorized dealer for them for the entire time he had his shop. Same thing with all of his other suppliers, except ONE. The only supplier that would still allow him to purchase at dealer prices was Tedd Cycle/V-Twin. I applaud them for that.

Folkie
7th March 2011, 19:34
I bought a no longer availabel H-D part from J&P Cycles. It came in a box with V-Twin stickers on it. Under the V-Twin stickers were the original H-D stickers! Seems that when H-D decide to delete a part, they sometimes get rid of any remaining stock through V-Twin.

kaveebee
17th March 2012, 03:00
I just bought some standard 1 3/4 inch pipes for 66-67 from the guy in Holland, They are as new and he boxed them up real nice, sent them airmail and they got out here to oz in no time. I would buy off him again.

randy3934
21st March 2012, 11:22
I started reading this thread thinking I'd see one of my favorite sources listed here, read all the way to 12 and didn't see it so I skipped to this page, most things from this site are 2 weeks out but the prices are awesome!!! I'm sure you'll agree.
debrix.com

big andy
21st March 2012, 12:18
poole cycle parts in texas are good guys to deal with wide range of ironhead stuff up to late stuff awesome prices and boon hd in the netherlands have the biggest range of genuine hd nos parts ever they have all the hard stuff to get BUT they do not sell to the us or canada but damn they have everything

trappnman
7th June 2012, 17:18
Ed at Hawg Wild in CO. 970-669-5589

one of the largest if not largest H-d used parts yard- only one I could find that had an 81 oil pump

hellbilly713
13th December 2012, 04:16
i know JP is on here a hundred times. i try making my parts. since modern parts suppliers suck. with low quality and high prices due to hipsters and "cool guys" with more money than brain cells, its getting hard to find parts. That is unless you have no spirit for adventure. Then you can just get on the web or go to ebay. I do it myself from time to time. I try to first make the part i need. if not i go to this little hole in the wall shop (the Big Bike Shop) here in columbus oh and Fred has never had to order me anything. he always has what i need. weird. but its great since he is cool and not a douche bag like the other place in columbus. That shit hole only caters to his personal friends and big money spenders. I find my lil ol dremel an my 9 3/4 fingers can do anything. with the help of a hammer from time to time:smoke

rocknturtle
26th September 2013, 20:58
that's a great link Y2K thanks for posting it.