PDA

View Full Version : Speaking Ads

CJack
21st September 2010, 21:33
I'd like to preface this post by saying that I appreciate this site and the fact that I use it free of charge. I also realize that the site needs ads to generate revenue. So, to the developer(s), Take this as it is, merely my opinion.

The ad that speaks and says, "Congratulations... Bla Bla Bla." is annoying. I like to listen to loud music sometimes while browsing , and that ad kills me when it pops up. I'm not sure if there's some way to turn down the volume only for my browser, but if there is I would gladly do so and sulk back to my corner if someone would be so kind as to instruct me on how to go about doing that.

Thanks.
CJack

Durockrolly
21st September 2010, 22:03
Pop up blocker?

khaskins
21st September 2010, 22:06
Must be your computer. There are no pop up ads here.

Also don't use Internet Explorer to surf the web. If you have to use Internet Explorer make sure it is version 8.

I use google chrome http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/landing_chrome.html?hl=en&brand=CHMB&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha

CJack
21st September 2010, 22:23
It's not a pop-up. It's a random ad that appears occasionally in the forums. I only use Firefox unless I'm checking cross browser compatibility on my own web projects.

I apologize. I should have said, "...when it appears.".

I'm fairly certain that there's not much that can be done about it since it shows up in the Sponsored Links section which is Google Ads, but if I can turn the volume down somehow it would be cool.

khaskins
21st September 2010, 22:40
You should try google toobar for Firefox. The popup blocker should stop them dead.

CJack
21st September 2010, 22:52
It's not actually a pop-up. It's a part of the ad system used on this site. It's embedded into the page like the other random ads which appear at the end of the posts on a page. Sometimes it's in the Sponsored Links section, and sometimes it's just above that. I can't possibly block it without disabling all other ads and banners from XLF for my computer. I really don't want to go that far. I just need to know if someone could tell me if it's possible to turn down browser volume without turning down my system volume. I'll try to find out on my own if it's possible, but I'm aware that there are many computer experts at this forum, so I thought I'd ask here first.

Blaze
21st September 2010, 22:53
I saw it for the first time today...I about shit!
It's pretty loud...
My work computer yelling "cngradulations" is kinda hard to explain...

CJack
21st September 2010, 22:56
I saw it for the first time today...I about shit!
It's pretty loud...
My work computer yelling "cngradulations" is kinda hard to explain...

LOL! I hit the damned thing 4 times tonight.:rolleyes:

J.P.
21st September 2010, 23:22
never seen it, and I live on here, lol

gunterjaeger
22nd September 2010, 03:38
Hmmmm, I know nothing of this

Flowerpunk
22nd September 2010, 04:42
They showed up Yesterday for the First time here, Don't like them one bit

Baphomet
22nd September 2010, 05:07
I was always browse with my sound turned down anyway, but your question piqued my curiosity. Only kind of ad that I can think of that would be yakking at you would be a Flash ad. So I did a little research.

There is a utility call FlashMute which when originally released was full of bugs and had very limited compatibility. Since then they completely rewrote their code and it is suppose to be pretty solid now across multiple browsers and platforms (but not IE). If fact, from what I have read it will mute more browser sounds other than just flash as well. Here is a link to the page I found. (http://www.indev.no/?p=projects#flashmute) I honestly don't know if it works the way it says or anything else other than what I've read. I have not used it since I keep my sound turned down anyway. But you might want to give it a try.

flashedwards
22nd September 2010, 18:00
I've been on here everyday at various hours of the day for about 18 months non-stop and have never seen this unwanted ad. What are they advertising?
Flash

wandrur
22nd September 2010, 18:10
Guys, keep in mind that the paying members don't get bombarded with most of the ads. Paying members only see the sidebar (etc.) stuff from site sponsors and not the other ads, so for those members who don't know what these folks are talking about...log out of the site and browse for a little while that way. You'll probably come across the ad then.

Diz
22nd September 2010, 18:11
Dude, sounds like you have a trojan (the others getting the pop up too). Update windows (assuming you're running windows), then your virus program, then unplug your modem from the net and run a complete scan.

J.P.
22nd September 2010, 18:20
maybe I never see what you guys are talking about because I'm on a Mac...Apples rule! :clap

khaskins
22nd September 2010, 18:33
Guys, keep in mind that the paying members don't get bombarded with most of the ads. Paying members only see the sidebar (etc.) stuff from site sponsors and not the other ads, so for those members who don't know what these folks are talking about...log out of the site and browse for a little while that way. You'll probably come across the ad then.

This is exactly what is happening. I tested it and heard the ads. My suggestion is become a paying member or turn your sound down. Bert has to keep this place running, and with him replacing the server and paying for a tech to maintain it costs alot of cash.

If it were my web site I'd be trying to make it pay anyway I can.

Elizabeth
22nd September 2010, 18:34
LOL.. dang thing hit me last nigth about 1am.. went to write a pm and boom.. All I could hear was "CONGRATULATIONS..BLAHHH BALAAHH"... ringing through the livingroom.. woke the dog and me..lol.. guess I need to turn my sound down...

J.P.
22nd September 2010, 18:47
This is exactly what is happening. I tested it and heard the ads. My suggestion is become a paying member or turn your sound down. Bert has to keep this place running, and with him replacing the server and paying for a tech to maintain it costs alot of cash.

If it were my web site I'd be trying to make it pay anyway I can.

Ahaa...so that's why I don't get 'em...I new membership would have it's privileges! :D