PDA

View Full Version : Lifter noise, and "pump up"

RatCafe
26th September 2010, 12:02
OKay so I had the front head off to replace gasket.. and after I put it back together had a knocking sort of sound that wasn't there before, and it seems to only be in the front. At first I thought backwards push rods.. so I made sure I had the shorter one on the intake side.. Still got some noise. I did put it back together really quickly, and I've heard people talk about lifters pumping up or not pumping up.. and that causing some noise. Can someone explain the steps I need to take to fix this? Or should I just ride it gently and they'll pump up on their own?

tich
26th September 2010, 12:16
Every time those rockers are off its the same heart in mouth start up and I dont think I will ever get used to it.
Start her up. clank clank. check her over, clank clank..... once the choke is in and I can leave her. clank cla.. (You get the idea.) Make coffee. when I come back with my coffee it has nearly stopped clacking, or at least its not to bad,it may take a short ride to completly quiten down. I have one lifter that took a few rides to stay perminntly pumped up.
Thair aint no fix I have heard of, but keeping the lifterers wrapped in oiled plastick in a oil jam jar helps. along with minamising how long thair out for.
Its gona' hapen but you dont have to be thair.
PS if it aint a"Clack" its not lifters.

RatCafe
26th September 2010, 16:23
It is a clack, and thanks, I'm just gonna try to ride it around and take it easy, see what happens.