PDA

View Full Version : I'm one of you now

vetteguy
17th December 2004, 22:47
I have been hangin around for awhile asking alot of newbie questions and finally got a bike. Just picked up my (slightly used) 2004 1200R. Brought it home on a trailer. Took a small test drive(cold). Cant wait to really get it out but that will have to wait til it warms up. Right now just looking at it makes me feel great. Thanks to everyone for helping me. I have learned alot so far but have alot more to learn. Maybe someday I will be able to answer someone elses questions. Thanks, Guy :clap

SportsterBart
17th December 2004, 22:54
Awesome, vetteguy! Congrats! :clap

Bart

collinsb
17th December 2004, 23:32
Glad you got a bike vetteguy and welcome to the XLforum. Weather is cold in Illinois, too! Spring will come slow now that you have that Sporty!
Billy

Shark Doctor
18th December 2004, 01:35
Great choice!!! Welcome to the Forum... wash her, wax her, condition her leather, love her... then work on your new bike!

Happy Holidays!

Darhawk
18th December 2004, 01:49
Fantastic vetteguy,

:chop :clap :tour :D :dancesmil :rockband :burnout :danceman

Moved On
18th December 2004, 02:00
Congrats on the new bike!!! Glad you found the bike you wanted. This winter is going to be an easy one for you, cause you haven't had a taste of it yet... next winter is gonna be a lot worse for ya ;)

Gary

rider1951
18th December 2004, 02:26
Vetteguy

Congrats and welcome to the forum.
:clap :clap :clap :tour :tour :cheers :cool2 :dancesmil :luvsport :xlrocks :hogsign

Jimbo999
18th December 2004, 02:52
Cold ?????
What's that ???
It was 40* today and I waved to 2 other Riders out for some miles. As long as the roads aren't sanded or icy anytime's good. I got 35 just putting around the outskirts of my town.

Hint: 3-layers of clothes...2-pr socks...Helmet/Shield...Scarf up to the nose...Heavy gloves and you'll be GOOD TO GO !!!!!!

:D

( Pay no attention to the neeked guy on the left )

I start the bike on full enricher.....Slowly back it off in <1min...Set the throttle for high idle...Have a smoke ( 5-6mins ) check the oil temp is >100*
and Head Out.

Double Hint: The Oil Tank makes a Great Hand Warmer......Once your hands get warm....Grab anything else that froze along the way... ( From a Distance, It'll only look like you're adjusting your belt or something ) :laugh

Works for Me. :smoke

toothygrin
18th December 2004, 03:13
I went out too- got a brake in the raindrops, tho it's allways 40* here :tour
welcome to the club buddy! :smoke

XLFREAK
18th December 2004, 03:24
And the sickness spreads to yet another. :frownthre

Broncodog
18th December 2004, 03:36
Congrats there vetteguy! :clap I know what you guys mean, the 80 degree ride today over here sure was tough! :tour These winters sure stink! :p

dabronco
18th December 2004, 04:29
You know, I was able to identify with the comment made by vetteguy "just looking at it feels great". I've had alot of bikes, but only my sporty can give me pleasure by just sitting there while I have a beer and stare at her. I love my bitch! (That's what my wife calls it!)

Broncodog
18th December 2004, 04:32
You know, I was able to identify with the comment made by vetteguy "just looking at it feels great". I've had alot of bikes, but only my sporty can give me pleasure by just sitting there while I have a beer and stare at her. I love my bitch! (That's what my wife calls it!)

Ahhh yes functional ............................. and eye candy! :laugh

thunderpaw
18th December 2004, 15:03
Congratulations vetteguy and welcome! You've gotten yourself a great ride. Keep 'er ready to go for that inevitable 'warm spell' in your Maryland winter!

Kim

vetteguy
18th December 2004, 19:38
Thanks for all of the kind welcomes and suggestions. I will probably wait until April or so before getting tags, ins, etc. Just no sense in paying for them if I'm not using it. I love to ride and it is killing me to wait but I'm not that much of a die-hard. Just don't think I would enjoy it as much so I will wait. Have to settle for just looking at her right now. I would put a pic up but I think everyone knows what it looks like. Guy

Barry Clark
19th December 2004, 01:22
Might be a little late but CONGRATS!

I have loved my 2001 since the day I brought it home. None of my cars, not even my Caddy- 1991 Brougham D'Elegance- gets the attention that my bike does.

wickedsprint
19th December 2004, 03:49
Good choice, and congrats :)

txsporty
19th December 2004, 04:28
vetteguy

Congrats on the New Scoot!!! :clap :clap

Get Ready to break out the Wallet!!! :yikes

:D

FastFwd
19th December 2004, 07:20
Guy,
Get her ready. Winter comes like a thief in the night, but sometimes so does the spring. Enjoy the view for now and be safe when a nice warm spring day slaps you in the face! Welcome, fellow rider!

PlanB
19th December 2004, 07:23
Congratulations, Vetteguy!

Good choice in rides! Tell all your relatives you're registered at www.harley-davidson.com and that they have a week til Xmas to look at your wish list!

We'll be waiting to hear of some of your first spring rides in a couple of months...you're going to be stoked! I was out today on a ride...cold as hell, but the ol' Sporty smile was on!

Spend the winter on this forum, and you'll feel like a "vet" (pun intended) come spring!

cypher
19th December 2004, 18:00
I'm a little late in replying, but CONGRATULATIONS! It's fun to sit on it in the garage!! Winter is a good time to go over it with a fine-tooth comb and locate all your parts and pieces, then look through a HD catalog and make a wish list.

Barry Clark
23rd December 2004, 05:02
Winter is difficult. I take it out once a week and run it, no matter how cold it is, just to keep the engine from sitting.

Desertfox
23rd December 2004, 18:09

Belated congrats on the new scoot vetteguy. I thought I was the only one who has conversations with his scoot in the garage :laugh Sometimes I just sit and stare at Annabelle until she starts talking to me . It's kinda scary how one can get possessed by a machine :eek:

jwb47
23rd December 2004, 18:30
your gonna love your new 1200r . the only warning I have is its hard to turn off and I tend to get lost alot . my last ride I some how ended up at reelfoot lake in tennessee lol not bad only 150 miles out of route I got home around 7 in the evening and had left at 7a.m. trip total 521 miles since I took the long way home :tour

designeraccd
24th December 2004, 13:55
Get those plates! Ya never know when a nice 40F day will come along, actually 35F will do altho I have taken mine out in colder weather than that in Jan/Feb. here in northern IN/southern MI. Any day you can ride(especially a Sporty) is a GR8 day!!!!

I have a small National Cycle windshield (marketed with a H-D logo so it cost more....), Corbin Gunfighter, aftermarket suspension and stage I "tax": makes for a very enjoyable motorcycle. With my Gerbing jacket liner and heated gloves plus my other Winter riding gear the bike is relatively comfy (heat wise) for 1.5-2 hours in lo-mid 30 temps. Out of the 71 bikes I've owned my 1200R is my all time favorite for FTR(FunToRide). Merry Christmas....DFO :tour