PDA

View Full Version : 1980 XLH 1000

corad
3rd July 2005, 23:13
Got the bike finished saturday about 5:00pm had to relocate some stuff installed chrome drag bars with 4.5 inch chrome risers mini speedo replaced the flasher (which by the way is in the headlight bucket thanks for that) lowered the shocks to 11" with no clearence problems I might add get on it to take it for its first ride as mine CLUTCH CABLE BROKE :cry1 :censor :yikes removed the case cover parts fall everywhere inside decide case open why not replace the clutch have a clymer manual any other step by step manuals or videos I can get to show me how to replace the clutch and the cable? THIS REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!

IronMick
4th July 2005, 05:42
I just replaced the clutch cable on my 1980 XLH. I have the Clymer and the FM.

Three parts fell out: a copper washer from the top area, a thin spacer from the shifter shaft, and a paper washer from a shaft above & left of shifter shaft.

I did not run into any particular problems. Get a new case cover gasket. Lube the new cable before installing it. Adjust the primary chain after it is all together.

I got ?lucky? my cable broke as i rolled into the driveway after a day's ride.

Max Throttle
5th July 2005, 12:37
i have 2 manuals, one is the FM (factory manual) so i'm sure we could post how to do it straight from that and walk ya through it :smoke

mine broke on the way to work, that was an interesting ride, but got to work and home again ;)

alleydude
5th July 2005, 13:31
went to a drag bar

Heheheh... He said he went to a "Drag Bar". :laugh

Sorry.

Fisherman
5th July 2005, 21:22
Your 4.5 inch riser won't impress anybody at a drag bar. You need at least 6 inch riser to make them twitter...

corad
6th July 2005, 21:52
dragbar ha ha ha!!!

corad
6th July 2005, 22:10
Well more than a copper washer from the top area thin spacer from the shifter shaft a paper washer from a shaft above & left of shifter shaft fell the gear shift cam and pawl carrier fell off as well as three ball bearings clymer manual does not show how to replace a clutch cable I am currently6 bidding on a FM on ebay now and expect to win it I would imagine it will show a cluth cable replacement.

Fisherman
6th July 2005, 22:15
If you need any more info, I'll scan it from my manual & 'E' it to you..

79iron
6th July 2005, 22:18
you won't find anything that simply outlines clutch cable replacement, but if you follow the instructions for clutch dissambly you can use that to get you as far as you need to. it's a simple thing to do, but i was a little nervous taking my primary off this year as i'd never been in there before. it turned out to be no problem. i may be able to scan the clutch section of my FM for you tomorrow. i have to visit a friend in the hospital tomorrow after work though, so it may take me until friday if i can even remember to do it then.
surely someone with some more time on their hands can scan a few pages for you so you don't have to wait so long.

corad
6th July 2005, 23:17
My Email is corad@charter.net any idea about the carrier and pawl???

corad
6th July 2005, 23:18
Thanks bros for all the help much appreciated.

Bikerdude
7th July 2005, 00:49
Your 4.5 inch riser won't impress anybody at a drag bar. You need at least 6 inch riser to make them twitter...

hhmmmm...so I could make'em twitter? Sorry...I won't rise to that challenge....... :laugh Got enough on my hands at home as it is.. :smoke

IronMick
7th July 2005, 02:40
... the gear shift cam and pawl carrier fell off as well as three ball bearings clymer manual does not show how to replace a clutch cable I am currently6 bidding on a FM on ebay now and expect to win it I would imagine it will show a cluth cable replacement.

The 3 ball bearings are part of the clutch mechanism.

Before removing the cover you should have: removed the gear shift lever and footrest and loosened the primary chain adjuster.

The 3 balls and the "clutch release ramp lever" should have been locked in place by a retaining ring. The balls should not have fallen out.

Did you find the retaining ring? also called a snap ring or circlip.

corad
7th July 2005, 03:03
I have all the parts including the jesus clip did remove the lever and footrest did not loosen the primary chain adjuster ?????? The FM is coming on friday hopefully it cost me 37.00 bucks this should be interesting to reassemble.

Max Throttle
7th July 2005, 12:42
the harley davidson manual.....

service manual
XL/XR models 1000cc 4-speed

part number (on the cover of the manual) 99484-85

has clutch cable replacement starting on page 2-60 ;)

IronMick
8th July 2005, 05:57
I am not an expert on this. I have been in there only once. But i think the 3 balls should not have fallen out unless something was wrong - wrong procedure, broken or missing part [circlip], whatever. Perhaps someone else can clarify this.

Max Throttle
8th July 2005, 12:01
good clutch thread link....

http://www.xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7101