PDA

View Full Version : Brake Line Lengths?

JustinNck1
16th October 2010, 22:07
I just got a set of hd mini apes for my 06 1200 Custom and I have the stock riser and I was wondering where can I purchase a brake line? Does hd have them? Or is it an aftermarket only? Thanks

jharback
17th October 2010, 03:42
You may not even have to change the brake line if they are mini apes. I know I didn't have to. You might have to bend the line slightly but, even that may not be necessary.

If you want to change the brake line anyways you can get them from J&P Cycles or you can custom order lengths from Barnett or Magnum.

www.jpcycles.com
www.magnumshielding.com
http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/cables.aspx?harley=cables_harley_misc&cruiser=&model=

JustinNck1
17th October 2010, 06:57
You may not even have to change the brake line if they are mini apes. I know I didn't have to. You might have to bend the line slightly but, even that may not be necessary.

If you want to change the brake line anyways you can get them from J&P Cycles or you can custom order lengths from Barnett or Magnum.

www.jpcycles.com
www.magnumshielding.com
http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/cables.aspx?harley=cables_harley_misc&cruiser=&model=

Ok man thanks for your help Ill double check and make sure i need it and I know i got to extend wiring so if I dont have to mess with brakes that will make this alot easier.

DaytonaSportster
17th October 2010, 07:16
Front for a single disk is 40"
I have been pricing lines and JP has the cheapest lines, Russel's for stock or the Magums with 6' of hose you cut to length. After that then ebay. But watch out, I found a Goodrich on there but it turns out it was there cheep model, so read the adds very carfully.
Now for the rear.. Ebay is cheaper but again, read carefully. I am not going to change out my rears after seeing the problems my neighbor have (blew the slave cylinder o-rings) and reading everyone else's issues.

What I have done is replace my 3k old factory shoes with Lyndall Z+ and flushed the brake fluid. Sooooo much better!! No more mushy feel, grabs good, and no squeak from the back brake.

kauffmanstein
17th October 2010, 17:20
I would buy locally if you can from a cycle shop, I bought a russel premade hose and returned it for a longer one when I didn't like the way the routing looked.

JustinNck1
17th October 2010, 19:39
Ok my question is now what kind of brackets should I use for running the line down and across toe the left side? Should I leave it all flex line or have a straight hard line to cut across from right to left? I need a 44" but what is the bends for the factory banjo fittings?

JustinNck1
17th October 2010, 19:48
What do u guys think about this?

44" Chromite II DOT Custom Brake 44" Chromite II DOT Custom Brake (56644)
Length: 44"
End 1 Fittings: 60 3/8"/10mm
End 2 Fittings: 60 3/8"/10mm
Color: Polished Stainless

$56.95

jharback
18th October 2010, 01:16
Ok my question is now what kind of brackets should I use for running the line down and across toe the left side? Should I leave it all flex line or have a straight hard line to cut across from right to left? I need a 44" but what is the bends for the factory banjo fittings?

I'd just keep it all flexible.

What do u guys think about this?

44" Chromite II DOT Custom Brake 44" Chromite II DOT Custom Brake (56644)
Length: 44"
End 1 Fittings: 60 3/8"/10mm
End 2 Fittings: 60 3/8"/10mm
Color: Polished Stainless

$56.95

Sure that should work. Pay attention to how your cables will be when you turn your bars sharply in reference to your tank. You might want to go with 90 degree fittings.

JustinNck1
18th October 2010, 06:59
ok any recommendations on the brake line guides that clamp on the fork and hold the brake line? Which ones are better than others?

jharback
18th October 2010, 08:41
ok any recommendations on the brake line guides that clamp on the fork and hold the brake line? Which ones are better than others?

I don't know, I don't use 'em.

JustinNck1
18th October 2010, 10:53
Ok well I called dennis kirk and told them I needed 5 and 1/2 over and they said 4 or 6 over so I got a 6 over magnum stainless brake line with 10mm banjos with 60 degree bends and two drag specialties brake line guides for a buck a piece so we will see what happens