PDA

View Full Version : Xl Forum Bonneville build?

NRHS Sales
3rd November 2010, 16:44
Would there be any interest in a group build of a 1650 cc class Sportster for next years Bubs at Bonneville event? Not looking for money just would be cool to have folks come to the shop and participate in the build.

I already have the bike and will be doing things like swaping a Buell front end onto it. Lengthening the swingarm, igntition upgrades, custom tail section, etc.

If we have a painter that would be willing to donate some painting on tail section I would not turn that down.

If interested and you can come participate let me know as i think it would be really cool to have an XL forum bike this year.

My little bitty wife will be riding it so it should be fast!!!

This is what we will start with:

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/images/badpsorty.jpg

PaulDM
3rd November 2010, 16:50
I'm in Fort Collins and would be pleased to help out in some way!

radeschultz
3rd November 2010, 16:53
Dan, that is the most awesome idea. Whether or not I could participate, thank you for the opportunity. I will follow this to the win :clap

radeschultz
3rd November 2010, 17:00
Hey Dan.. say I would like to contribute, be a part of this, but couldn't get down there to turn a wrench. What do you suppose a guy could do, besides, but yet including, contributing financially? I see some very cool things coming from this... :banana

flashedwards
3rd November 2010, 17:08
Dan: I'm about 15 miles east of San Francisco so the commute to your shop would be a real bitch but I would like to do something. I don't know what I can do but if you need somebody in the Bay Area...I'm your man.
Flash Edwards
Walnut Creek, CA

steelworker
3rd November 2010, 18:46
The Atlantic Ocean is a bit of a barrier to my participation, but I'll be following this! Great idea, Dan! :clap:clap:clap

snowman
3rd November 2010, 18:49
Dan, that is the most awesome idea. Whether or not I could participate, thank you for the opportunity. I will follow this to the win :clap

Unless I find a way to Colorado, I'm watching this one from Michigan...:geek:geek:geek

Excellent idea!!!

aaandht
3rd November 2010, 19:25
Want to fly me out there for the summer and make it my engineering COOP.:laugh

Cool idea, I can't wait to see the progress!

rocketmangb
3rd November 2010, 19:26
Whats the record in 1650 pushrod gas ?

Is that a Force exhaust ?

Bob F
3rd November 2010, 19:54
Not looking for money just would be cool to have folks come to the shop and participate in the build.

I'm in Pittsburgh, shit, don't know how I could help from here. Long distance wiring?

How about a NRHS XLForum Team Bonneville dress shirt, or tee shirt? You could take the orders then have the shirts made. This would be one way to be a small part of the group.

debster
3rd November 2010, 21:19
What a cool idea! I'll be there from NY in spirit. (Wish you thought of this 25 years ago when I lived in Broomfield! LOL)

NRHS Sales
4th November 2010, 09:49
Current AMA record is 152.793. We should be able to go much faster than that as Aaron and Susan have went in the 160s with their 1350 cc bike.

At present the engine is a 1472cc using a stock stroke. I have a 4 3/8 stroke crank which would give us around 1630cc but I am debating about putting it in this year as I don't think we really need it to break into the 160s.

Eventually (several years from now) I would like to put that crank in and run it on about 75% Nitro and maybe get my wife into the 201 club. But that is going to take some time.

Yes that is a Force exhaust on the bike but I do not plan on using it at Bonneville.

NRHS Sales
4th November 2010, 10:08
Team shirts sounds like a great idea as I do realize most of you cannot just come over to the shop and help with the build.

Mattbastard
4th November 2010, 16:46
I'll be swinging by during my July 4th ride out west, save me a fastener (if you're not done working on it by then).

NRHS Sales
4th November 2010, 16:49
I might be going crazy on the build around July 4th as the meet is late Augsust normally so that might be perfect timing!!!

Bob F
4th November 2010, 17:17
Team shirts sounds like a great idea as I do realize most of you cannot just come over to the shop and help with the build.

Put me down for two. One for me and one for my wife. Like I stated before, you can pre-sell them then order them, no upfront expense. We want to be part of the NRHS XLForum Bonneville team.

We're from Pittsburgh and a local part of the Steeler Nation, which is a national/international group. I say this because ALL cities in the USA have at least one Steeler Bar. My reason for saying this is not to promote the Steelers (yea right) but to show how a local thing can become national/worldwide and we'd like to be an active participant in setting a Bonneville record. The World's Fastest Indian is one of my favorite movies and has inspired me to venture to Bonneville in 5 years when I retire. This will be my only reason to but a V-Rod to run on the short track to be part of the Bonneville experience.

I truly wish I liked the V-Rod. It would have saved me a lot of money over converting my Sporty to what I want.

NRHS Sales
5th November 2010, 09:46
Let me ask Bert if it is okay on all this and I will see what we can do about shirts.

decman
5th November 2010, 10:28
Dan, I can help out, I'm only 7 hours away from you now. :tour
I also have a swing arm for that bike if you need another in order to
lengthen that one.

Declan

snowman
28th November 2010, 16:49
Any word on the shirts deal yet???:geek:geek:geek

decman
28th November 2010, 22:45
Dan,

I sent the swing arm your way, FedEx Ground.

Dec

NRHS Sales
30th November 2010, 09:40
I have not had a chance to speak with Bert yet about using the XL forum logo on shirts. I will try to get in touch with him soon.

Thanks Dec!!

bobjeep
30th November 2010, 10:27
Dan,

I've spoken to you over the phone, but haven't had enough coin yet to stop by your shop. I'm not far at all from you and would love to help here and there, but lack mechanical know how. But if you need someone who's positive and energetic (possibly a tad on the slow side) to move things around for you, grab beer and food, I'm your guy.

Cheers.

edit: I am an ameteur photographer, out of practice, but with a full range of professional studio lights and equipment. Just in case you needed one...
edit #2: I can get models as well.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5130/5220846105_ce248517a2.jpg

NRHS Sales
30th November 2010, 11:20
Damn!! I was hoping that was you in the pic! ;)

snowman
29th January 2011, 05:01
Any updates Dan???