PDA

View Full Version : Intiminator Oil Amount Question.

OrangeR
4th November 2010, 03:34
Sorry I know I've read the answer to this question somewhere already but I can't find it now and didn't write it down......... :doh

How much oil do the Intiminators each displace if you want to use the recommended amount of 5W minus Intiminators when fitting?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

OR..........

EL in NH
4th November 2010, 17:02
Sorry I know I've read the answer to this question somewhere already but I can't find it now and didn't write it down......... :doh

How much oil do the Intiminators each displace if you want to use the recommended amount of 5W minus Intiminators when fitting?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

OR..........
I don't know Mr. Orange but perhaps you could pull an Archimedes ..
...fill your bath tube ,,,er... I mean you could fill a container (graduated in your measurement of choice) with said 5w and note the measurement...
then plop the little expensive (but worth it I hear) bugger in the filled container. Then....well I'm sure you know where this is going...

sprink
4th November 2010, 17:30
Not sure, but DO NOT put in the 1/2 quart they suggest in the instructions!

LuxBlue
4th November 2010, 17:42

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

OR..........

Measure what you drain out, reinstall oil with Intiminator. Measure down from top of tube and suck out oil til it's 6" from top. Luckily for you I did this already. Comes to 11 3/4 ounces of oil if you clean the springs of any clinging oil. Here's a more detailed step by step....

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=470128

OrangeR
5th November 2010, 04:06
I don't know Mr. Orange but perhaps you could pull an Archimedes ..
...fill your bath tube ,,,er... I mean you could fill a container (graduated in your measurement of choice) with said 5w and note the measurement...
then plop the little expensive (but worth it I hear) bugger in the filled container. Then....well I'm sure you know where this is going...

Nice one Ernie....... LOL :laugh :laugh :laugh

Not sure, but DO NOT put in the 1/2 quart they suggest in the instructions!

Thanks for the tip, the instructions aren't the best and contradict themselves 'Use your factory recommended Oil height or amount' well if you go with the amount your height will be wrong and vice versa....... :doh

Measure what you drain out, reinstall oil with Intiminator. Measure down from top of tube and suck out oil til it's 6" from top. Luckily for you I did this already. Comes to 11 3/4 ounces of oil if you clean the springs of any clinging oil. Here's a more detailed step by step....

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=470128

Thanks for the link LB I had seen your thread as I've read most of the Intiminator ones out there. :geek :geek :geek

My old oil levels appears to have been way out and unbalanced, I did have a small spill :o but even after taking that into consideration the left fork had way over 10% more oil than the right. This is the first time I've drained them and I've owned the bike from new. The bike's now left standing and I'll leave it to drain for a while before I refill with the correct amount, minus a little for the Intiminator displacement. This seems a far easier way than trying to get the bike completely level. Even on my bike lift the bike isn't level as it sits on the exhaust balance pipe, which is slightly lower than the frame rails.

I've just found a note with 1/2 fl oz written on it so I may have answered my own question but I still couldn't find this info on a search. :frownthre

Thanks for the replies lads,

Cheers,

OR...........

Lenster
5th November 2010, 04:24
I think they displace about 1/2 ounce if I remember correctly.

OrangeR
5th November 2010, 06:42
I think they displace about 1/2 ounce if I remember correctly.

Many thanks for the reply Lenster, it sound like my 1/2 (US) fl oz written down is about right.

Cheers,

OR......

barry jubber
12th November 2010, 04:58
No idea, had the local dealer fit mine. What a difference! Can't wait to fit the Ricor IAS shocks which are in the mail. Everything promised has been fulfilled. Must say I highly recommend the Intminators.