PDA

View Full Version : how far can you go in 3.5 days? (round trip)

Phillober
11th November 2010, 03:19
How far can you ride in 3 and a half days?

Come mid December, I'm going to have 3 and a half days to go wherever, and I'm trying to plot out my course...

so how about some ideas as to reasonable distances I can go?

-thanks

jharback
11th November 2010, 03:25
I try to never exceed 300-400 miles a day. More than that can get pretty tiring. And when run consecutively, even more so. So figure about a 1,000 miles.

Francois
11th November 2010, 03:26
All depend on a couple of things: how many miles a day can you handle, how far apart are gas stations, are you camping, how many luggage will you take along, how is the roads etc.

66impala
11th November 2010, 03:40
I try to never exceed 300-400 miles a day. More than that can get pretty tiring. And when run consecutively, even more so. So figure about a 1,000 miles.
I agree with this also, especially if your doing any sight seeing.

Blaze
11th November 2010, 03:50
Me too....I also try to always plan more milage in the beginning and end with the least amount of miles due to "wear and tear"...example 1000 miles would go: 400, 350, 250...

Phaedrus
11th November 2010, 04:57
I usually do less on the way out, see the sights, take the pics, and then boot it home on the last day. I can do a 600 mile boot home no problem.

tjduexjr
11th November 2010, 05:55
I think it's more important to think about how much time you want to spend in the saddle each day. Once you determine that, you can determine how many miles you'll go each day based on what type of riding you plan on doing. You can put on a lot of miles if you cruise the slab all day, less miles if you're in the twisties or doing back roads with slower speed limits. You should also factor in site seeing time.

You also have to keep in mind how long you can do each type of riding. I'm setup where I can do pretty much anything all day long at the moment (8-10 hours comfortably). The biggest weakness for me is getting bored riding too long on the slab, especially when it's in the middle of nowhere. A little traffic to keep me alert every now and then is welcome.

Baphomet
11th November 2010, 06:16
I might not be the best person to respond to this question since the farthest I've ever traveled on my bike to date was a 300 mile round trip. But if I had time off just to ride and if I didn't have a specific destination in mind I might plot a course that would keep me within 200 miles of home ... circular if you will. That way if my ride became too much for my butt, or for any other reason I would be within "striking distance" of home. For example, if I drew a circle around where I live with a 200 mile radius it would include the Texas Hill Country, The Valley, The piny woods of East Texas, and most of the lakes north of here. No matter where I go I am not so far away I have to suffer a long trip home.

JayFL459
11th November 2010, 06:39
Rode 1800 miles to Sturgis in 3 days but have to admit it was not enjoyable doing that kind of mileage 3 consecutive days but the guys riding with had limited time to get there with work commitments .. 1,000 miles sounds enjoyable ..

pquirk
11th November 2010, 06:45
Not sure what you mean about the half day, so assuming you really only have two days just ride for a day and see where you end up then ride home.

02883r
11th November 2010, 07:56
I agree, its all what you're comfortable with.... I haven't had any issues doing 1000 mile days, but my idea of a good trip is how many miles I can clock; scenery is just a bonus. My type of riding style isn't for everyone, just as the 2-300 mile days aren't for me.

Texas has some beautiful riding!

ParrotHead
11th November 2010, 08:14
It depends on what your intent it. Is your intent to put miles on the bike and just ride, or do you want to take back roads and sight see. Putting on lots of miles, 500-600 mile days or more on the Interstates, is not difficult if you are used to it. However, if you want to see the sights and take the less traveled roads you may make considerably less time, say 300-400 miles.

I've done both and enjoy both.

I usually do less on the way out, see the sights, take the pics, and then boot it home on the last day. I can do a 600 mile boot home no problem.

My preference is the opposite. I like putting in the long days at the start of the trip to get to the mid point as soon as possible so I can take my time on the way home. That gives me a cushion just in case something comes up and I need to pick up the pace. Its also easier to do 700 mile days when I am fresh vs having been on the road for a week.

joe66
11th November 2010, 19:07
I have covered 1500-1800 miles in that amount of time but it really depends on how much stuff you want to stop and see along the way.

gdixon61
11th November 2010, 19:17
from St. Pete to the keys for a fun filled weekend runaway from home trip. but it's the getting there and back thats the most relaxing.

jakebuganski
11th November 2010, 19:25
i did my first 2 1/2 day trip this summer and got in about 900 miles. I would say the 300 mile per day range is comfortable...

BillieB
12th November 2010, 13:46
Me too....I also try to always plan more milage in the beginning and end with the least amount of miles due to "wear and tear"...example 1000 miles would go: 400, 350, 250...

Ditto !!! I even do this in a car when making long trips.

Phillober
12th November 2010, 15:12
Thanks for all the replies guys, lot of good suggestions.

I do want to get a lot of miles but at the same time I'd like my destinations to be worth it, atleast as much as I can make it. Also, I do like stopping often for picture purposes.

Looks like I'll plan on ~300 or so a day, now just to decide where.

sportyblue
12th November 2010, 17:43
300 a day sounds good. Gives plenty of screwing around time.....pictures, a meal, a break / nap in a nice park, site seeing, all those things. If I'm really trying to stay focused the best I'll do is 400-450 and I usually do all the other stuff to some degree too....just a longer day .....usually riding further into the evening or something. I've never done 500-800 mile days. That's not what it's about for me.