PDA

View Full Version : In the MF wind!!!!!

corad
11th July 2005, 19:18
Clutch cable install complete had to hold the paul and carrier in with vise grips to install the primary cover but its all good adjustment went great it catches late but I think its because a new clutch is needed. Are the ironhead lifters noisey or does that maybe indicate the y need adjusting? Thanks Ironmick and evrybody else for your help again this forum rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tour :tour :tour :tour :tour :tour :clap

IronMick
11th July 2005, 23:00
You might just as well check the push-rod adjustment. Easy enough to do [although i am not having much success - but that is another thread].

Pop off the spring keepers for the intakes, lift up the push-rod covers, hold in place with bent coat hanger parts, shift to 4th gear, rotate wheel until front lifter is up, adjust rear, repeat for front, repeat for exhausts, remove hangers, re-install keepers.

There are hints to make each step easier. Let me know if you need to know any of them. If you have not done this before you will want all of the hints.

Sleevedfreak
13th July 2005, 18:34
Hey there...just makeing a shout out to a Neighbor...I am right down the road from Ya...out in Northampton Ma...

corad
13th July 2005, 21:57
Well we'll just have to meet up and get some saddle time in I added you to my buddy list talk to you later. :tour

corad
13th July 2005, 21:59
Hey Mick you can send those hints this way I will be doing the adjustment on friday and I hope to take the bike to Ozzfest on sunday. Thanks

IronMick
14th July 2005, 04:55
Hey Mick you can send those hints this way I will be doing the adjustment on friday and I hope to take the bike to Ozzfest on sunday. Thanks

0. Engine must be stone cold for this so do it first thing in the morning
1. The spring keepers can be popped off with a large flat blade screwdriver
2. Book suggests bent coat hanger pieces to hold p-rod tube covers up; i could not find anything better so that is what i use
3. remove spark plugs
4. To get it into 4th gear: [i] clutch in, shift from neutral to second; [ii] jack rear wheel off the ground [iii] spin wheel until it clicks then shift to 3rd [iv] spin wheel again until it clicks then shift to 4th
5. To adjust FRONT exhaust p-rod, turn rear wheel while watching the REAR tappet. When rear tappet is UP the front can be checked and/or adjusted. Similar for the other three.
6. Checking p-rods: if you can rotate the p-rod between your thumb and index finger, and if it has none or very little side to side movement, it is good to go.
7. To adjust: You need 7/16" and 1/2" wrenches. 7/16 for the lock nut and 1/2 for the adjuster. Loosen the lock nut, turn the adjuster completely loose, then tighter with fingers until you can no longer rotate the p-rod; then loosen it so you can just rotate it; then [A] for intakes loosen it "1/2 side" more or [B] for exhausts loosen it "1 side" more
Note: "side" means a side of the 6-sided adjuster nut.
8. the hardest part is re-installing the spring keepers. While [attempting to] install them you must ensure that the pushrod tube remains installed at the top, in the rocker cover. I look at it from the other side of the engine with a flashlite to be certain. Theoretically the keepers should just pop into place. I usually have to take a break, get some patience, then try to install them. If i try when i am tired i will wreck them - as i have seen on some other bikes.

Anyone want to add to this?

Hope this helps!

GSB_77_XL
14th July 2005, 05:01
8. the hardest part is re-installing the spring keepers. While [attempting to] install them you must ensure that the pushrod tube remains installed at the top, in the rocker cover. I look at it from the other side of the engine with a flashlite to be certain. Theoretically the keepers should just pop into place. I usually have to take a break, get some patience, then try to install them. If i try when i am tired i will wreck them - as i have seen on some other bikes.

Hope this helps!

I use a long flat screw driver to re install them.

pull the top tube up and get it seated good and tight.

hold the collar down with the screw driver.

put the top of the cover on the top by the rocker box.

then gently pry up with the screw driver while pushing the cover with your thumb.

works every time for me

corad
17th July 2005, 00:09
Valve adjustment went flawlessly thanks mick hints helped now I need a clutch please view my new post and respond if you have any answers thanks.

Whip
17th July 2005, 15:16
2. Book suggests bent coat hanger pieces to hold p-rod tube covers up; i could not find anything better so that is what i use

Instead of the coat hanger, I use a cloths pin. I clip it on the pushrod and it holds the cover up. I rotate it back and forth to feel for my adjustment also.

IronMick
18th July 2005, 01:50
I am leaving my computer right now, going to the basement to get two cloths pins to bring out to the shop. This is too good. I never did like the coat hangers.

wabiker
12th October 2005, 01:40
long rubber bands (or hair ties in my case) with paper clips work for me. That way I dont get only rubbing or binding on the rods that gives me a false sense of feel.....but then again I get anal with this shit sometimes.

IronMick
12th October 2005, 01:46
The cloths pins did not work for me. I don't like the hangers. Guess next time i'll go with the hair ties and clips.

wabiker
12th October 2005, 01:53
old stretched out hair ties,2 per tube (the ones Im getting ready to toss) work best.... if not paper clips then picture hanging hooks...the littles ones ya use with a itty bitty nail that usually causes ya ta smash yer thumb with the hammer.
.....hang 'em off the top rocker cover bolt..... works good on my evo anyhoo.