PDA

View Full Version : Electric to kick start

Dirty Ernie
12th July 2005, 13:18
Anybody have any experience converting their electric start to kicker?
J&P has a kit for $258 that lets you install a kicker and keep your electric starter. Can anybody tell me what I'm getting myself into?

jack82
12th July 2005, 13:39
Not trying to be a smartass Ernie but why a kicker??

Dirty Ernie
12th July 2005, 14:01
Not trying to be a smartass Ernie but why a kicker??

Well.....I'm not sure exactly. I like my 73. I like the older bikes. I guess part of the attraction to the older bikes is the site of somebody hopping up and down on it trying to get it started. It just doesn't get any more basic than that. Of course, if it WON'T start, it's nice to have the electric start backup.

flathead45
12th July 2005, 14:12
kick starters are the koolist thing on earth and all you nay sayers can kiss my ...

converting an electric only to a kicker is real easy expecily with the j&p kit , I say go for it and don't look back

jack82
12th July 2005, 14:19
Fair enough........didn't realize you had an ironhead......for a moment there I thought they were makin a kit for newer bikes..

The good thing about kickers is they make you keep your bike well tuned.......a badly tuned bike will start off the lecy start........but not so willing with the kicker.

Dirty Ernie
12th July 2005, 14:54
kick starters are the koolist thing on earth and all you nay sayers can kiss my ...

converting an electric only to a kicker is real easy expecily with the j&p kit , I say go for it and don't look back

Have you used this J&P kit flathead? I'm just curious about a couple things.

Y2K
12th July 2005, 16:23
Better stock up on Bengay and asprin :laugh
Might not be a bad idea to go ahead and buy a cane now so you'll have it when the time comes :laugh :laugh
Y2K :smoke

Dirty Ernie
12th July 2005, 16:33
Might not be a bad idea to go ahead and buy a cane now so you'll have it when the time comes :laugh :laugh

Funny stuff. Here's some more funny stuff. 2 bikers walk into a beauty salon,
the rabbi says to his lawyer, "that's no lady, that's my wife"!!! :D

flathead45
12th July 2005, 16:54
haven't used it myself but if its got all the right parts , its just a bolt in deal

the motor is all set up for a kicker

a priest, a rabbit, and a biker walk into a bar , the bartender says to the rabbit.............

Dirty Ernie
12th July 2005, 17:38
a priest, a rabbit, and a biker walk into a bar , the bartender says to the rabbit.............

......................"That's no lady, that's my wife"!!! I heard that one before.

Fisherman
12th July 2005, 17:39
I remember when I was young & dumber, going on a run with "The Guys" & whenever we'd make a stop at a watering hole, then about 30 minutes before we'd leave, the Pres. or Sgt. at Arms would stand up & hollar "Sportster Call" so all the guys riding Sporty's could go out & get there bikes started so as not to hold everybody else up. Ah, the language you'd hear from them out there. Kick, kick, adjust points, adjust carb, kick, kick, then somebody would 'kick through' & hurt their knee. Ah, the good old days, limp, limp, limp...

Y2K
12th July 2005, 18:15
Kick, kick, adjust points, adjust carb, kick, kick, then somebody would 'kick through' & hurt their knee. Ah, the good old days, limp, limp, limp...

Heh heh! yup,I was always the last to leave but the first to get to the next stop on my li'l monster 86" XLCH :smoke

Fisherman
12th July 2005, 18:44
Say, what do you mean calling me a Greasemonkey in my profile. I resemble that remark...

IronMick
13th July 2005, 01:11
What years will that kicker conversion fit? Got a link to it or a J&P part number?

Dirty Ernie
13th July 2005, 01:26
What years will that kicker conversion fit? Got a link to it or a J&P part number?

Thanks Mick. The kit fits 67-79. The number is 600-266 at J&P.

72 Ironhead XLH
13th July 2005, 03:45
I did the same thing on my 72. mine already had the ratchet plate installed on the clutch hub. just had to add the rest of the parts.everything was bolt in.you`ll have to drill and install the kick shaft bushing in the side plate cover or purchase a kick/electric cover.it`s nice to have both options to start .

Desertfox
13th July 2005, 11:32
zI've seen a few Sporty customs with kicker and magneto. Doing away with the battery completely. Seems that would be the way to go with kicker. If you are going to go through all the hassle of a kicker , at least get the added benefit of doing away with the dead weight of the battery. If you're going to have a battery, at least make it do something . :)

GRAYFEATHER
13th July 2005, 12:19
Kicked bikes for 40 years button starts are Cooooooool.

Grayfeather

Sleevedfreak
14th July 2005, 00:15

That is why i am going thru all this :censor with installing an electric start on my bike....knee surgury killed the kicker...or did the kicker kill the knee

typerighter
2nd October 2006, 05:49
Kick starting sounds so cool.

Roadster_Rider
2nd October 2006, 06:16
I've got 2 bad knees at 17 years old, i'll pass on the kicking... i didnt like kicking my YZ300(bored 250) i couldnt imagine kicking a sporty over. as grayfeather said "button starts are Cooooooool."

MDT
2nd October 2006, 13:45
I remember when I was young & dumber, going on a run with "The Guys" & whenever we'd make a stop at a watering hole, then about 30 minutes before we'd leave, the Pres. or Sgt. at Arms would stand up & hollar "Sportster Call" so all the guys riding Sporty's could go out & get there bikes started so as not to hold everybody else up.

In my circle, it was the Road Captain that shouted " Those that gotta kick, start kicking! We leave in 10!"

cantolina
2nd October 2006, 14:25
I would LOVE to put a kicker on my bike...

But they don't make'em for a 97! :laugh

geraldxlch
2nd October 2006, 16:58
I would not bother with a kick start on an elec start bike. Kicker won't get you going if battery fails. You must have spark from the battery to start it. On a magneto equiped bike the magneto makes the spark and a kicker works just fine if all is adjusted properly. This system eliminates much wiring, starter motor and battery. Less to go wrong, however they can be cranky at times to start. IMHO don't place your knee in peril if you don't have to.